Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving house, changing electricity supplier

• 04-02-2022 1:04am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭

So I'm moving house and I'm wondering what the best way to go about it is, re electricity account.

I'm with Electric Ireland (for years) and my apartment block landlord (agency) told me they usually 'turn it off'.

Which sounds a bit weird because I don't know how they can terminate my electricity account when it's in my name.

Anyway, I heard there is a rebate coming because of rising energy costs and I want to do this in the right way that I don't loose that.

But at the same time i wish to change from Electric Ireland to Energia.

So, I think my options are, carry on with EI, i.e. move my account when I relocate, and then change to Energia

or

Kill my account with EI when I depart from my current dwelling, and set up a new one with Energia when I move into my new abode.

What would be the best way to go about this keeping in mind the coming rebate.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Check the actual rate you are paying per unit.

Electric Ireland 26% off is cheaper than energias 41% off because energia have a very high standard rate.

If bill is in your name it is up to you to close the account. The management company should be able to give you the reading.

The electricity credit will be applied to bills in march, so if you are moving in the next two weeks it will be applied to the new place.

But make sure you switch annually. It literally takes 2 minutes online and all you need is mprn number, bank details and meter reading.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,770 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Sorry to chip in here but do you know if you can switch back and forward between 2 companies and avail of their introduction offers each time or do the know you were a previous customer and not allow the introductory offers? I hope it's the former but would be good to know if anyone has done it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,027 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

You can swap whenever you're out of contact and they are al 12 months. I just did a comparison and saved €300 by signing up to the same supplier!

OP. When you move out of the apartment you take a meter reading and close the account, if you are out of contract they will send you the bill for whatever units you used if you are in contact they will usually let you move the account to your new property. When you get the keys to your new place you can choose any provider if you are not in contact at your current property.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,770 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Yeah I have just switched from Bord Gais to EI but wondering in 12 months time when i switch do I get new customers discounts with BG again as a brand new customer or do they recognise a previous account at this address in my name?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,027 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

IIRC they'll just swap your current account to the new premises since you've just started the 12 months. To get a new customer discount you'd have to cancel your current account and open a new at your new home, check what the cancellation charges are with your current provider if you want to do this.

• Advertisement

Yep, I switch between electric Ireland and energia each year. Also used panda before.

Always get the best rate available

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭jkforde

Just to jump in here... currently searching for the cheapest rural EV\Night tariff ... am currently with Energia since Oct. (switched to dual meter then, day 0.2063, night 0.0990) but their standing charge is mad high (€392). any cheaper alternatives that other EV\Night rate users are using?

Bord Gais do look cheaper on their unit rates and standing charge but then I got the €50 exit penalty...

(just thinking, a pinned forum spreadsheet might be handy to keep track of all the prices rises and varying standing charges?)

Post edited by jkforde on

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

"Since I no longer expect anything from mankind except madness, meanness, and mendacity; egotism, cowardice, and self-delusion, I have stopped being a misanthrope." Irving Layton

Electric Ireland is 18.94 / 9.35

Standing charge €314

I've a rural holiday home with storage heating and switched from energia to electric Ireland.

As you say, standing charges are substantially higher on energia and as per my other posts, electric Ireland 26% discount is far better than energias 41% because electric Ireland standard rate is substantially lower.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭jkforde

cheers, but EI have low usage surcharges, that bring their rural standing charge up to €383, that I believe Bord Gais don't (will confirm that), important for those of us with solar power.

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

"Since I no longer expect anything from mankind except madness, meanness, and mendacity; egotism, cowardice, and self-delusion, I have stopped being a misanthrope." Irving Layton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭AllForIt

OP. When you move out of the apartment you take a meter reading and close the account, if you are out of contract they will send you the bill for whatever units you used if you are in contact they will usually let you move the account to your new property. When you get the keys to your new place you can choose any provider if you are not in contact at your current property.

Yeah I just noticed that on the EI website. I had assumed I could notify them of my move in advance so it would be one less thing to have to deal with on day I move. Anyway I have access to the meter so can take a pic of it when I leave so shouldn't be too much hassle.

I think i'll just stay with EI for the time being.

• Advertisement

If you are using less than 2 units a day on average, then I wouldn't be overly concerned about unit cost as you are looking at about €1 per month difference between the different suppliers

Advertisement