Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General British politics discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,027 ✭✭✭Patser

Dan Rosenfeld- Johnson's chief of staff, and Martin Reynolds his private secretary (and bring your own booze emailer) have also just quit. So 4 of his closest team.

Some online trying to suggest this is Johnson cleaning up Number 10 after the Parties report, but the manner in which they're all leaving makes that look very unlikely.

Sunak also not toeing party line today, implying Johnson was wrong.

What a horrible day for him, headlines screaming about how financially fecked most of the population are about to find themselves (gas cap raised, interest rate rise, inflation ballooning). His number 1 Dead Cat - Saville - coming back to haunt him. His back up Dead Cat - Northern Ireland chaos, just looking like a DUP stunt with his approval. And after another day of dress up, he'll be coming back to an empty Number 10, except for Carrie and 2 kids as all his team scarper

• Registered Users Posts: 54,175 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Munira Mirza wrote in her resignation letter

"I believe it was wrong for you to imply this week that Keir Starmer was personally responsible for allowing Jimmy Savile to escape justice.

"There was no fair or reasonable basis for that assertion. This was not the usual cut and thrust of politics; it was an inappropriate and partisan reference to a horrendous case of child sex abuse.

"You tried to clarify your position today but, despite my urging, you did not apologise for the misleading impression you gave."

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,502 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It's proper nasty party stuff. The same kind of thing that made them unelectable in the late 1990's. It shows a complete and abject contempt for Savile's victims that Johnson would use Savile to score cheap points like that. I think he has barely a month left now. It's been a non-stop torrent of bad news.

This stuff cuts through because it is simple and relatable. Nobody cares about the garden bridge, the water cannons or the racism. Everybody has felt the impact of covid. The Savile stuff is just the cherry on the cake. If the party is to save itself, he and those close to him need to go. I think Sunak, Truss and Javid will remain but the likes of Raab, Patel and Dorries are finished.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 39,833 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

You tried to clarify your position today but, despite my urging, you did not apologise for the misleading impression you gave."

This line is very interesting to me. It’s clear he isn’t even listening to a long time ally who worked with him as mayor of London.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,175 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

The people leaving are not the good guys, they knew exactly what type of person Johnson is. Mirza has been his close aide for donkeys years

ITV's Peston seemed to go full Kuenssberg this evening getting out the Johnson side of todays events

A fantastic explainer from the BBC's Atkins

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,175 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

God it's my first time hearing Mogg about the Goose for the Gander crap, he really is a horrible individual and I look forward to the day when he gets his comeuppance. I'm a firm believe on what goes around comes around

BJ, Mog and Raab

These are the guys that stand out as the most horrible in their party and boy that party is pure poison and really one of the worse set of Tories we've ever seen

• Registered Users Posts: 32,658 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Surely Dorries deserves a mention.

It's clear Sunak and his team think he has a good shot at being leader now. I thought surely the scandal around the billions in COVID fraud that he is writing off would harm him...but given the other candidates...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Which policies of either of those 3 make them 'the most horrible' in their party.

Or are you engaging in stereotypical British style journalism to which you've been exposed to and now mimicking.

If you want working class people in government then vote for working class people, but there's a certain class snobbery in there as well, albeit an inverted one.

I'm quite happy for you to say they are useless in their roles. But you like the British press are going way way over the top with this kind of commentary.

Of the 3 you mentioned, Mogg is actually quite intellectually sharp, imo. If you don't like him personally that's your business.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Yeah people can tolerate a lot when it comes to politicians, corruption, bigotry, ignorance etc, but the one thing that cuts through is hypocrisy, tell the general public to do one thing and then do the opposite themselves well then they get angry.

Examples of the recent by elections, the dismal poll numbers, senior Tories hammering him in public and loyal servants like Murza leaving. The Savile Stuff just tops it all off,,,and for what its worth I don't think its worked as a distraction whatsoever the way he planned.

The likes of Patel and Dorries have peaked career wise, but Raab will be fine, popular enough with the members and close to Cummings.

Looks like the Saville comments might be enough to do it.

At the same time though, I was very surprised when I heard about it. From my mother. Hours after it had happened. It's another example of Starmer's weakness (argue it's just perceived if you like). The story/leading thing should have been a furious Starmer basically calling Boris a piece of **** in reply. It was a moment to win over a lot of the public. Maybe there was a strong rebuttal that wasn't really covered?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

With standards of living going to fall to a historic low because of energy prices I don't see any good news to make people feel good about Johnson. Probably hoping Russia invade Ukraine.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,905 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Mogg described as intellectually sharp. Lol goes to show you what a crap of handful of large words and a posh accent can do.

He hasn't demonstrated anything intellectually sharp in his time on the front bench. In fact what has he actually done/delivered at all....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,435 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

• Registered Users Posts: 8,027 ✭✭✭Patser

He's absolutely crying out for a Euro 2020 football campaign to distract everyone again, but instead it's February, and everyone is always miserable in February.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,438 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Yes. But in a parliamentary system a healthy party will usually have a choice of potential leaders. And, given two or more leaders capable of winning elections, the party usually has the luxury of choosing the one who has some integrity and character over the one who doesn't.

Plus, the two things are linked. Voters are realistic (or cynical, if you prefer) and take it for granted that politicians will tend to have unpleasant character traits - a bit of dishonesty, ruthless ambition, a tendency to put their own political survival before the good of the country, etc. But there are limits - Johnson's character flaws are so great and, now, so public that they jeopardise the Tories' ability to win the next election. We are reaching the point where it doesn't matter whether the party the party chooses the leader most likely to win an election or the leader with at last a bare minimum of decency; if they adopt either criterion, how likely is it that they would choose Johnson.

We call the problem you highlight in your first paragraph the "Corbyn conundrum". It can last until the problematic leader loses an election and has to stand down, which in this case would be several years.

The other way it can end is if the leader's support within the party crumbles. I think that's what could be happening now.

We may never know if Johnson gets an FPN for breaking Covid rules. The police have already said that they will not name the people to whom they issue FPNs. If anyone refuses to pay an FPN and wants to have their day in court instead, of course we'll know all about that. But if they just pay up, I'll we'll ever hear about it are leaks and rumours.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,727 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

So everyone is talking about it and you think it will end Johnson. Sounds like Starmer played it perfect

To be replaced by another Tory. Not sure how perfect that is. Well, I suppose the last Labour leader to actually win an election was basically a Tory replacing a Tory so maybe it's par for the course for Labour.

Jesus, that means it's 48 years this year since Labour won an election without Blair as leader. In that time Thatcher, Major, Cameron, May and Johnson have done so for the Tories.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,652 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Only Thatcher and Johnson have won useful majorities. And in Johnson's case that was handed to him by the awful electoral system not the voters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,905 ✭✭✭✭listermint

The continued notion that Blair was a tory is still to this day gas.

Having basically lifted all boats for a decade and giving the UK its most successful and prosperous period in the recent living memory. Actually the narrative tying him to torys is to give torys the reflection of success. It's silly that people fall for it tbh. And embarrassing. It seems to be a Labour leader you have to be nationalising everything in sight and bringing back coal mine jobs.........

His rampant privatisation and attaching himself mouth to wastepipe with Bush doesn't really help his cause in fairness and that prosperity was felt all over Europe and beyond so I would wonder how much individual governments are to thank.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,833 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Tony Blair wouldn’t have been leader in 1997 if John smith hadn’t died. Would labour be in a better place now if it was John smith who was leader in 1997 and in subsequent elections ?

Anyway sky news are reporting that there’s possibly a fifth person leaving Downing Street. I see the spin about the four who left yesterday as it being the PM taking is starting, expect the policy chief isn’t involved in party gate as far as we know and she may be the Geoffrey Howe of Downing Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭PommieBast

It really comes down to whether Smith would have got himself tied up in Iraq and to a lesser extent top-up fees. Those are what really caused the Momentum backlash.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭moritz1234

Already being spun as Johnson taking action and clearing house. A strong PM

• Registered Users Posts: 13,308 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Johnson got 43% of the vote. Huge in Britain. Much more than what Cameron got in 2015.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,652 ✭✭✭✭L1011

It'd have to be sackings for that spin to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Option 2 is what almost always seems to happen the Tories in my lifetime. Major was the only Tory PM deposed in a General Election rather than a push and that wasn't from the lack of trying either.

Of course there was the 3 almost interchangeable leaders who lost to Blair who stepped down after election loses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,096 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

The current cabinet is what you end up with if your number 1 priority is blind loyalty above all else. It really is staggering how some of these people have managed to rise to this level. The ones that really stand out are the extremely stupid: Dorries, Raab & Rees-Mogg and the malevolent: Patel and Johnson himself. Special mention to Suella Braverman who may be a QC but, as anyone who witnessed her open her mouth, was still staggeringly unqualified to become Attorney General.

We complain a lot about our politicians in Ireland but there is no comparison between the quality of ministers in the current Irish cabinet and the current British cabinet.

Advertisement