Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yet another young woman attacked by a male. When will it end?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭standardg60

Nothing of the sort.

It seems that some people who have never been attacked are getting angry with the fact that their plight of being in fear of such does not take precedent over those who have been, and anyone who suggests the discussion needs to be about violence against everyone has something wrong with them.

Empathy shouldn't be selective, which is what to seem to be suggesting

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

" empathy " is a term progressives like to trot out frequently.

It costs them nothing, makes them look good but in the main delivers nothing either which sums the WOKE up really

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

You forgot the time he punched a pensioner off his bicycle in an unprovoked attack, knocked him out cold. A nasty piece of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

You should try going one day without typing the word 'WOKE' in a post 😂👍🏻

• Registered Users Posts: 21,053 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Point taken, and agreed that’s the kind of behaviour friends should look out for and stop

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

There was serious vetting years ago but unfortunately the older gentleman who made the final decision on their “stories”retired

God only knows who makes the decisions now

but you can imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭MarkEadie

I'm surprised he didn't throw in MARXIST and SNOWFLAKE. They usually like to put those words together with WOKE. Missed opportunity there.

Plenty of suggestions were put forward on other recent threads, one example of such was not whistling at women in the street because the vast majority of women don't enjoy that kind of attention, aren't flattered by it, and can feel intimidated by it.

And what happened? Shot down as ridiculous, because women shouldn't feel intimidated by "lads being lads" and should take their (unwanted and uninvited attentions) as a compliment.

A perfect example of women telling you (generic you) something that will make them feel safer, but that message isn't being listened to.

"Men do need to do more".

I don't think anyone is expecting men to throw themselves into life threatening situations against complete strangers in defence of some unknown woman, (I know I don't). Nor would I personally expect a man to cross the street to avoid me, or any woman.

But there are small things they can do. For example, if you're out with your mates and one of them starts getting handsy with a girl or whistles at one, have a quiet word and tell them it's not okay.

Whose example do you think young lads growing up will follow? Who do they listen to? Women? Not so much. Young men look to the older men in their lives to see how to behave, and its often where they learn how to treat women too. Their fathers, older brothers, uncles. Male teachers. Other men.

Aren't we lucky mcentee is going to ignore minor convictions and take serious convictions 'into account ' with her amnesty.

Will she be blamed when some criminal nut from a foreign male chauvinistic society attacks or murders one of the citizens of the country that gave them amnesty....or will men be blamed? What's more likely?

If we are going to punish those who should be keeping this kid under control can we also punish the garda commissioners and ministers for justice for the last 20 years along with the parents?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Why? The garda commissioners and ministers for justice aren't responsible for raising a 13-year old thug.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭AyeGer

Why is someone like that not in jail for a very long time? Big changes needed in our court system. If we think about it what do we owe this guy, why is he being given chance after chance after chance x 78. If he was sent down for 30 years would it not be better for society? I certainly think so. I don't understand why the focus seems to be on his potential rehabilitation which after 78 convictions is clearly not happening. I don't care about this guys life, i care about the victims of his crimes, like that poor old guy traumatized by being knocked out cold off his bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

2.5 million euro to keep him inside for thirty years at your and mine expense

far cheaper solutions for men like that who will never contribute anything to society

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭AyeGer

Id say by the time you add up his legal aid bill and any medical costs for some of his 78 victims along with some of the time and resources wasted on rehabilitation and counselling programs he was likely sent to. He is already costing this state a fortune. Deportation would be the ideal answer but as he arrived so young that will not be possible. Criminals like him are a massive problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭stellamere

Post edited by stellamere on

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭AngeloArgue

Ethics, virtues and values have be turned on their head. Society has been conditioned to have contempt for them. We refuse to have an agreed framework of what's right or wrong.

What white irish males are you talking about here? White Irish males are quite a diverse bunch. Are you referring to white males from Sligo or maybe white males with one testicle? Perhaps the white males from the inner city, working 2 jobs to keep the show on the road. Maybe even the white males who get to see their kids once every 2 weeks because thats the value that the courts system attributes to fatherhood or even those in hospital after having been half beaten to death by luas hopping junkies.

So you might be a bit more specific as to exactly which of those "white males" you are casually dismissing by reason of their gender and skin colour.

This "white males privilege" bu11shite is laughable, even a students union candidate with white makeup and blue hair would be embarrassed to come out with that nonsense. If you have an inferiority complex about being white and Irish, that's your business and you can even continue wagging you finger for all I care, but I thought we had correctly moved away from putting people into different groups to treating everyone as bring an individual.

And to the lady who started this thread and others who would seek to attribute some guilt or blame to the "white Irish males " of this world, I would like you to ask yourselves what if your hair or eye colour is the same as that of the perpetrator? What if you are the same height or weight as the perpetrator? Do you and the perpetrator have bad breath?

If so, your annoyance and indignation at these attacks is misplaced, as you too shall join us men in a communion of shame and guilt, by virtue of these shared arbitrary characteristics.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,488 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

People who perpetrate crime have their wellbeing and interests prioritised ahead of their victims…now in Ireland..

The way things are going next we’ll hear a judge chastising a person for being well dressed or driving a nice car… accusing them of inciting their attacker…

• Registered Users Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

So there are people here who seriously argue that you need empathy to be able to discuss the topic? Like seriously?

Talk about letting emotions rule over objectivity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

Are you joking... When did you ever see a person jailed for assault in Ireland... Suspended sentence if guilty... Appeal and conviction quashed on payment if 1k to charity... There an article today where 2 high profile person's are complaining that they are victims after being convicted by the court... This is the second case of this nature in same area in a short time... Surely if this the norm Court system needs urgent reform... Conviction for crime against person should be done with proper judge...

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭foxsake

I'm sure you'd be cheesed off if you were labelled something you were not. It's not some bar stool drunk having a go . It's people with media access in NGOs and government ministers framing a narrative that is not true for the vast vast majority

Ultra feminist Leo was in the sun yest spouting utter cringe playing the identity politics bingo..

I do listen , but to the women in my life not some shrill feminist type with an axe to grind.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,951 ✭✭✭✭anewme

It’s very distracting. also uses various other forms of WOKE as well.

There's a drinking game in there somewhere...😆

Post edited by anewme on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

I got it from the media, and the range of policies implemented by governments over the last decade, and no it's not all in my head...

I never said that women were conspiring in any shape or form. I referred to feminism, which does not represent all women, considering how many women have stated that they are not nor support modern feminism.

Once again, you're responding to things that weren't said. More thought police attempts. Projecting beliefs and then seeking to counter those projections rather than deal with what was expressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭rightmove

Did you not give all your opinions on the previous threads. I did notice you never responded to my questions. you just dont like men ...we get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

• Registered Users Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Klaz

Once again, you're responding to things that weren't said. More thought police attempts. Projecting beliefs and then seeking to counter those projections rather than deal with what was expressed.

Also Klaz

However, posters can discuss the reports involved, and the motivations behind those reports if they wish, without it needing to be any attempt to convince others that they should accept those discussions as being fact.

🤣🤣🤣

Plenty of suggestions were put forward on other recent threads, one example of such was not whistling at women in the street because the vast majority of women don't enjoy that kind of attention, aren't flattered by it, and can feel intimidated by it.

And what happened? Shot down as ridiculous, because women shouldn't feel intimidated by "lads being lads" and should take their (unwanted and uninvited attentions) as a compliment.

It was shot down because most male posters pointed out that they don't engage in such behaviour. That's been the case with most suggestions to help the situation.. referring to the behaviour of assholes and suggesting that it's a common occurrence that most men are going to be able to influence. Which they're not... Most men don't whistle at women, because they already know it's inappropriate behaviour.

A perfect example of women telling you (generic you) something that will make them feel safer, but that message isn't being listened to.

You're right it is a perfect example, but rather for expecting men to change something that they have no ability to change. Think on this. I don't whistle at women, so then, the expectation is that I should intervene when I see other men whistle at women, but in all honesty, I haven't seen anyone do it for years, but if I do notice it happening, I should intervene with, likely a group of men who will shift their attention to me instead of the woman. Grand. The woman walks away, but I'm left with the aggression of the group of men, because I've just challenged them, and as a group confronting another man, it will likely become more aggressive, and possibly lead to violence. However, the woman has walked away and is clear of the trouble, so that's alright.

The problem here is that female posters aren't listening to what male posters say. We understand what happens when one man confronts a group of guys or even the kind of guy who wolf-whistles at women. We understand that such a confrontation will escalate, and likely lead to violence, The risk is real not because of "male culture" but the testosterone that exists in the male body, leading to aggressiveness when two or more men face off. And in all honesty, regardless of who comes out the winner, my confronting the other guy(s) probably won't change their views, and they'll continue behaving that way towards women.

That is why such suggestions are meeting resistance. They're not practical, rely on placing men at risk, and won't change anything.

But there are small things they can do. For example, if you're out with your mates and one of them starts getting handsy with a girl or whistles at one, have a quiet word and tell them it's not okay.

A lot of us already would do that.. I don't have friends who behave that way, because I'm not that way myself. We tend to make friends with people who reflect our own values.. so, the expectation comes back to policing other men and their behaviour..

Approaching strangers to stop them behaving that way, runs the risks that I described above. You said that you don't expect men to put themselves into danger, but every fight carries massive risks in terms of head trauma.. most of us know of people who had fights outside of nightclubs, were knocked down, and suffered a head injury resulting in death or permanent damage.

Also, TBH I tend to associate getting handsy of a girl, harassment, etc with young men, or teenagers, because they're still learning what's the right way to behave, often confused by the mixes signals they get from different girls. That's not excusing their behaviour... but there is a learning process involved, and many women/girls are not.. similar in what they want from a guy. Most "men" I know would have gotten over that kind of attitude or behaviour by their mid-20s. So, perhaps we should consider where these activities occur, and what kind of environment the learning takes place? Perhaps consider that we might want to teach both males/females how to behave together, so that they avoid picking up bad habits, in the mistaken belief that they're acceptable (there are a lot of habits that women adopt when they're young which are rather nasty too).

Whose example do you think young lads growing up will follow? Who do they listen to? Women? Not so much. Young men look to the older men in their lives to see how to behave, and its often where they learn how to treat women too. Their fathers, older brothers, uncles. Male teachers. Other men.

That's not true and a total cop out. I know many men who were greatly influenced by their mothers, myself included. Most children spend far more time with their mothers, than their fathers (It's been the complaint from women's rights groups that society still expects mothers to raise children while the men work.. a gender stereotype or role stereotype that continues for many families)

Also a significant percentage of all teachers in formal education are female, and yet, somehow it is other men who influence all boys in their path. It's a cop out. Yes, fathers and other men do influence us, but for many of us, we actually end up spending more time with women than men. So. perhaps it's worth considering what boys are learning from women, than simply passing the buck on to men. And no, that's not blaming women... it's merely that we should consider all influencers in a childs development rather than repeating the tired out sentiment of traditional gender roles.

There are problems in modern society, and we need to spend time looking at all the components that influence those problems. There's a tendency to give the influence of women in society a free pass, except when it relates to something positive. Just as you have done above, but if we really want to resolve these problems we need to look at the underlying causes, and that means looking at both genders without bias. And that's not a dig at "women"... As with "Men" they don't have much actual influence over how society develops...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,303 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

If you read the post I was responding to, the poster was complaining that if he went to Lagos, Nigeria, and people were shouting things at him because he was white, no one would care, boohoo. People like him think they are persecuted because they are male and white and everyone else has it much easier, which just isn't true.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement