Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yet another young woman attacked by a male. When will it end?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭AyeGer

@credanlady

You mention taxing men in the same post that you congratulated the two men for rescuing the woman Larry Murphy was attacking. So presumably those two hero’s will have to pay your tax on men too. Unbelievable disjointed nonsense.

I think you are just trolling now, in fact I hope you are trolling.

Given their rationale if they were accused of being a troll the onus would be on them to prove they weren’t. Maybe this can help them learn how difficult it is to prove a negative.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,781 ✭✭✭zv2

I don't care who does it first but if you want something like this in society you have to lead by example. Gotcha. How am I painting you as a man hater? I asked you when you called someone out and that translates as calling you a man hater? If this is the kind of warp you have to put on things then I won't be going over to any threads you advised. I tried to have a reasonable conversation with you and this is what I get. More fool me.

Post edited by zv2 on

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Absolute Zero

Can someone tell me why we are baby sitting this freak?

Type his name into Google and even Zimbabwe times is reporting on this scumbag knocking a pensioner unconscious.

We really are one soft country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

That's another frustration with stuff like this. Myself, and several others on this threads, have warned for years that there'd be a rise in stuff like with mass immigration, yet now as men, we're somehow getting the blame for problems that we predicted. It's beyond insane.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Years ago I would have assumed posting such shyte was trolling, but nowadays people actually do have some of these types of infantile ideas.

And worse still these ideas are being pushed in universities, academia, the media, social media.

Just look at the shyte going on over in England with Brighton and Hove council and forcing teachers to go to critical race theory courses so that they can teach kids they have white privilege.

The other thing that is noticable around here is how posters can make sweeping statements about certain groups, but if the converse was done about other groups immediate bans and sanctions would be dished out.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

As I asked earlier Will any of the pro asylum seekers give us any reason why we have allowed him remain in our country.

I don't expect an answer.

I am not allowed discuss …

Because foreign cultures can't be criticised unless they remain foreign, ie. in foreign countries. The moment that they come to a western nation, they're given a free pass over all and any kind of criticism. It doesn't matter how women are treated in those foreign countries/cultures, the assumption is made that these foreigners will give up their cultural norms once they arrive in Europe. There's the same assumption with Muslims where they will, naturally, accept our standards rather than retain their national/cultural perspectives (related to Islam) about women (or homosexuals), and that will never be extended to others not of their faith. (in spite of the many examples of this in Europe over the last decade or two).

I guess it's simply easier to blame "men" as a group. God knows, Feminists have been doing it for decades.. so, it's not an entirely new idea for people to embrace. Such beliefs have even made it into Universities through Women's Studies courses, which preach misandry, and receive applause for being so brave. Ahh society.. double standards abound, and common sense is truly unappealing. (This is not about what "women" think as individuals. As I said earlier, feminism does not represent the beliefs of most women, which is why so many women have disavowed association with being a feminist)

@CreadanLady

"With 4, this is probably the only area where the average man on the street could challenge such behaviour without putting themselves at risk. Having the balls to challenge and denounce such behaviour on the spot when you see it. "would you say that to your sister, or mother? Cop yourself on and grow up". Men who are managers in the workplace, or in other positions of authority can and should challenge this behaviour by taking complaints seriously and pursuing and investigating them vigorously when they are brought to their attention. Gardai and courts might need to be involved in this process as well."

I think this is much ado about nothing. There is very little talk like this. I almost never hear it. The only time I hear men criticizing women is when they have a legitimate criticism to make. Mobilizing the male population to police this is not going to do much. They'd be waiting for years to hear just one objectional comment. It's not like men are verbalizing stuff all day long. But that's the impression all this talk is giving.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

Did you or did you not say "Women need to supervise each other and be seen to do this before men take it seriously."

These were your own words. That women need to do it first before men will take it seriously.

You also responded to me bringing up that feminisim promotes hatred of men - the inference being that I must ascribe to that. I don't.

By the way, if you think the purpose of feminism is to promote hatred of men, then you don't understand feminism.

• Advertisement

Yes, they do need to do it if they expect men to do it. And no men won't take them seriously if they don't lead by example; they are the ones asking for this so they should at least set an example.

The inference is yours. I never said you hate men. All kinds of things can be inferred so please respond to what I said, not inferences.

I never said 'the purpose' of feminism is to promote hate. I said it promotes hate. There is a difference. A little psychology might be useful here. Neitzsche said:-

Beware that, when fighting monsters, you yourself do not become a monster... for when you gaze long into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

The more feminism presents men as monsters the more women will see them as monsters and people who see monsters all the time run the risk of becoming the very thing they are fighting - or imagine they are fighting. This is how feminism is damaging women. You would do well to think carefully about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,951 ✭✭✭✭anewme

The attitude is that women should be flattered with street harassment and it discounted as “just something males do sometimes”. Or it is actually a compliment.

There was a basic failure to grasp that it’s unwelcome intrusive and the people who do it, should just stop. One person said they had no time for whistling,just because they hated whistling, not because of the meaning behind it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

It would be more accurate to say that you have already got a leg up in life if you belong to one of the right socioeconomic groups in a developed, tolerant, stable, democracy.

Sorry to spoil your narrative but I've not experienced any advantage purely by virtue of my skin colour or gender. If anything, with positive discrimination, it has been a disadvantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

To be quite honest I don't know where to even begin. I have never read such a collection of misguided, discriminatory and dangerous nonsense in my entire life.

Newsflash. Women have been raising these issues, and trying to raise awareness about it since I was a young woman, and thats a couple of decades ago. Have you been living under a rock? Or simply not paying attention?

I've come to the conclusion that most of the men here who claim to never to have seen or noticed what goes on in the world around them are either totally oblivious, or lack basic observation skills, or both.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Indeed, where does it stop. I witnessed a male identifying pigeon harassing a presumably female one today, and I had to think of this thread.

I couldn’t intervene because I would not have fit through the window and I probably would have fallen off the roof, but it was a distressing spectacle to watch. At least he didn’t seem to have whistled at her though.

This kind of derisive attitude really doesn't help your case, lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭stellamere

Post edited by stellamere on

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

You honestly believe there are less resources available to women suffering domestic violence than what's available for men suffering domestic violence?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,528 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

It’s always the same with these threads.

Men vs women, white men are privileged etc.

Should women and men not be joining together to point out that society is being let down by the judiciary not imposing appropriate sentencing for these criminals (mostly repeat criminals) that are getting away with this?

You will have people who say what about the criminals upbringing? Well frankly I don’t care, if my daughters or wife or myself is at risk of assault, I don’t want these people on the streets.

If we want to penalise the people who brought up the criminals too, then fair enough.

Society being divided men vs women, over scumbags getting away with assaults, is the wrong way about going about things.

It’s the judiciary that need to be accountable.

• Advertisement

Hi CreadantLady , I'm not quite sure if you are serious?

Impose a tax only on men to pay for women refuges for violence caused to women by men?

Would women who are the subject of domestic violence from their female partner be allowed in? as that particular cohort surprisingly has the highest instances of domestic abuse when compared to the other groups.

Would you would advocate for an all female tax to fund supports for those men who make up 30% approx of domestic violence incidents. You will appreciate that these men have fck all supports, especially when compared with the existing supports for women, which women fully deserve every bit of support and care they can get, and more.

As regards the changing the burden of proof, this would be a very very dangerous route to go down. If someone, say a relative or friend is wrongly accused and looking down the barrel of 12-15 years in the slammer, then a they should not be convicted because they "probably" did it. We'd have plenty of our own Birmingham 6 and Guildford 4 cases. "Probably" has no place in criminal courts and should be left to the civil courts and Carlsberg ads.

Sorry, I know I'm coming across as a bit whinge, but i am constantly reminding myself how lucky I am to be born in Ireland and living here at this particular point in time. It just annoys the hell out me when I am linked in some way with these violent thugs just because we share the same genitalia (not literally mind you). It's just so arbitrary. You could impose a new tax to be levied according to the smell of people's farts, which would be equally arbitrary but perhaps more difficult to impose.

This women v men (and vice versa) is just v divisive, and counterproductive.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Alfred123

Why are you assuming Credan Lady is a Woman? Maybe Credan Lady will also pay the man tax?

Well, you were the person who said yesterday that the Lady murdered in the UK was murdered through her own fault and not the evil piece of crap that killed her.

Total disrespect.

So, maybe stick with feeding the pigeons. Tuppence a bag.

Yep, I kinda went into full rant mode there. Apologies

I've come to the conclusion that most of the men here who claim to never to have seen or noticed what goes on in the world around them are either totally oblivious, or lack basic observation skills, or both.

How would you come to such a conclusion?

The media is filled to the brim with newspaper articles, radio shows, and TV shows which discuss the issues that relate to women in society. These shows are on multiple times a week. There is no shortage of mediums for women to talk about the problems that affect them. Hell, there's a whole genre in Movies, called Drama which tends to focus quite heavily on female centric issues, and RTE have been doing TV series over the last few years, to promote the lives of women in dubious situations..

So, how would men be oblivious to these things?

As for not seeing these things around them, I honestly wonder where you spend your time, because I rarely, if ever, see anything on the street, even remotely approaching harassment, or abuse towards women. I genuinely do feel that the posters who complain about this being so common, are actually seeking examples to get annoyed over, rather than this being such a common experience.

And... before you say that all women experience these things.. I'm sure they do. However, there is this argument put forward to suggest that all women experience this harassment/abuse on a regular basis, when I suspect that they have a few actual experiences, and are instead sharing their experiences with other women, so that the illusion of it being so common, becomes "real".

You see, I have many female friends, and they don't back up your statements. They have been hassled or harassed in the past, but it's mostly a rare occurrence, and tends to be limited to certain types of places such as pickup bars, nightclubs, or passing construction sites. Not on the street. Do the have some experience of street harassment, yes, they do, but it's rare. Very very rare. So... I do have to wonder if these claims are exaggerated, because they don't match up with what I've heard from the women I trust.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

If you want to solve violence - and good look with that - you have to start looking at REAL and HARD punishments to those who engage in it. Anything else is just window-dressing and don't be shocked when the masses see that too. And for Gods sakes ladies, when you bring your litt'l pup into town for a walk under the streetlights, clean up it's crap off the footpath. start there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭AyeGer

I will always assume someone who calls themself lady is a woman because the overwhelming likelihood is that they are. Unless they want to correct me on that.

@[Deleted User]

Right, of course!!! There isn't really a problem with men's behaviour at all, it's all just women exaggerating!!

So... I do have to wonder if these claims are exaggerated, because they don't match up with what I've heard from the women I trust.

So only the experiences of women you personally trust, are dependable and their experiences are representative of the whole female population? Okay then. 🙄

However, there is this argument put forward to suggest that all women experience this harassment/abuse on a regular basis, when I suspect that they have a few actual experiences, and are instead sharing their experiences with other women, so that the illusion of it being so common, becomes "real".

A now its illusionary!!!

So, how many times does a woman have to experience harassment/abuse before objecting to it? Does it only become "real" after the first few times?

It only takes one bad experience, to make someone afraid for a very, very long time.

Downplaying it in this manner is pretty disgusting.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Am I alone in thinking in there's something fishy about that case?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement