Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,279 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I grew up with a megadrive and despite being a Sega fanboy knew Mario was much better. Just the level design was much better and so where the controls. I mean sonic is good but Mario is god tier and hard to match.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I've found Sonic games to be far more limited in scope, slave to a one trick pony than Mario. Sonic had maybe one or two solidly greats games. Both ultimately are brands but "Mario" comes with it a confidence the game would be good; be it platformer, RPG, sports game etc etc. Conversely, "Sonic" to me means shovelware at this stage, lazy and slapdash games.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

• Registered Users Posts: 29,809 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

As someone who grew up always having both Sega and Nintendo (i wish i appreciated it how good i had it more), Mario was the better game but Sonic had some absolutely magical moments between level design, colours, music and speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,603 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Never really played any Mario games growing up as we all had Mega Drives, so always gravitate more towards Sonic. There are definitely areas where I feel the Sonic games beat Mario, but overall I can't deny the Mario games are just meticulously crafted and balanced.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,279 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The best Mario games take an idea and explore it fully in one level and then move on to explore a brand new idea in the next. The thing about Mario is that they explore one of these ideas on one level where an idea would take a while game to explore that level.

Sonic plays great. It's different from Mario in that sonic is more controllable when he has momentum but there's not a whole lot you can do with that gameplay. Sonic just doesn't have the variety Mario has but I do love how sonic games have different criss crossing routes through levels and reward replayability whereas Mario games are more exploration based.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

I love both but no sonic game will ever come close to the enjoyment you can get from Odyssey.

One of my all-time favourite moments in gaming was getting the lend of Sonic 2 from my cousin, plugging it into my Sonic & Knuckles, and playing Sonic 2 as Knuckles. That blew my tiny little mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

There's Sonic 2, then there is Super Mario World and everything that came after it.

Sonic peaked at Sonic 2.

Don't THINK Sonic 3 made it to our shelves as no one i know ever played it. Even have Sonic 3D sitting here in its box (ahem waiting a new home ahem) but have never played sonic 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,454 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

I had Sonic 3

• Advertisement

Yeah a friend had Sonic 3 as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,454 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Also, like you said earlier, when in popped in the sonic 2 cartridge and could play that game as Knuckles, I still think that was a wizard that did that 😀

At least with Sonic 3 it made sense, as it and S&K were supposed to be one game that ended up being split in two if I remember right. With Sonic 2, playing as Knuckles was insane because he could climb walls higher than Tails could fly... I still don't understand it ...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,354 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

So GTA VI is in active development it seems

• Registered Users Posts: 28,035 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

The big issue I've had with rockstar games is the controls just feel wrong.

I love classic Sonic and Mario. But Super Mario World probably won the 16 bit platformer award. Sonic 2 not far behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,035 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I only played older Mario games at friends houses as we had a Mega drive so I've no childhood love for the Italian plumber but Odyssey is an absolute joy. My favourite game on Switch. Loved Luigi's mansion as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,941 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

I was very disappointed by Sonic and the Megadrive in general. Think I got it on sale, even though I really wanted a SNES. Sonic is a PITA to control.

A few years later got a SNES and Super Mario World and Super Mario All Stars. Absolutely wonderful. Even if they were PAL versions.

That was it, never went near Sega or Sony, who I saw as Sega's successor, with similar "edgy" marketing. Even now I see Sony and Microsoft with the same marketing. They need to grow up 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 11,920 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

I somehow ended up with Dying Light 2 today. I brought in FIFA 22, COD Vanguard, GOTG and Deathloop to trade into Gamestop and ended up with over €200 credit so after paying off Horizon FW and Lego Skywalker Saga Deluxe Edition I panicked and took Dying Light 2 for free and still left €40 to preorder something random.

Looking forward to giving it a blast. I see they released a Day One patch that fixes over 1000 bugs which is great as a lot of reviews highlighted the many bugs in their review copy. Ah ya miss the days that you bought a game on a tape or cartridge and that was that, good or bad!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭McFly85

Love them both! They’re different enough to not allow for a direct comparison. Mario is unquestionably the better platformer but loved the speed of sonic games. And the music in Sonic games is amazing!

Then let me break the illusion. The S&K cart has a rom chip on it containing the sonic 2 with knuckles hack. When it detected sonic 2 it just booted that rom instead of the sonic 2 cart or S&K. No magic unfortunately.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Finding this out really annoys me. I didn't have Sonic 2 cartridge. We had a cartridge with Sonic 1, 2 and Dr Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine. If you put that into Sonic and Knuckles it wouldn't do anything so the only time I played Knuckles in Sonic 2 is when I borrowed a friends Sonic 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,941 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Will get a PS when the next iteration of PS5 comes out and I can get one. And I manage to set aside a few months or 12 to catch up. 😁😁

Here's how the Sonic & Knuckles technology worked:

https://youtu.be/9-4SApbrYH0

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Sonic Pinball was the best Sonic.

A will you stop. It ran at 30 fps as well to make it extra shite. Dev team too inexperienced to code in assembly so coded in C which nuked the framerate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Ah I wasn't being serious 😂 If I recall correctly, it was a challenging game though (at least for young Benzi), which I enjoyed.

As long as nobody is saying crash bandicoot is better than both. It's not even close to the best of ps1. I'd say we need a klonoa remake but we did get one on the Wii and nobody bought it 😢

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

All this talk of Mario & Sonic reminds me how great Crash Bandocoot was - imo the best of all 3 and certainly the best the PS1 had to offer....

Advertisement