Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No public IP address with Vodafone 5G broadband? (and what about Eir/Three?)

Options
  • 04-02-2022 10:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

OK, so I was a bit fed-up with Virgin Media's commercial practices and ordered Vodafone's 5G home broadband router to see if it it could replace Virgin. I am actually quite pleased both with data speeds (most of the time it is faster than Virgin's 250MBPS offer) and with the Huawei 5G router they provide which seems like a nice piece of kit, so I was about to call Virgin to cancel my broadband service with them.

And comes the issue: I just realised that the modem auto-configures to the APN hs.vodafone.ie which I believe is that same one used for mobile internet access on phones. This means you are not getting assigned a public IP address and instead are getting a private address behind NAT. This is a major issue for me as I am running a small server which needs to be publicly accessible on the internet.

I am actually quite surprised about this, as while it is using the mobile network it is supposed to be a home broadband service, and any home broadband service I ever used did provide public IP addresses.

Does anyone know whether it is the expected behaviour, and if there is any way to get a public address upon request from Vodafone and/or by configuring a different APN?

And if not, would anyone know if Eir and Three are also giving private addresses behind NAT for their 5G home broadband services (I doubt their frontline staff would be able to understand/answer that question ...).

Post edited by Bob24 on

Comments

Advertisement