Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To Mask or not to two - Mask Megathread cont.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

My work.requires masks and provides the blue ones. We just.wear other types if we want

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Seanergy

Any employer who asks you to remove an unvalved FFP2 and to replace it with a surgical mask needs to put it in writing. I would make this legal.

From a principal, just for those of you who say masks are useless and hopeless yada yada yada against Omicron.

Why should anyone respect your decision to not wear a mask? The law would not. Respect the law. Fullstop.

I never said you were a legend either.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,464 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

You do understand that people know that people know masks, keeping you distance, etc all reduce your chances of getting Covid but people aren't afraid of getting it anymore!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

Wha? I know plenty of people who don't want to get covid or even dont want risk getting it again. Whether thats not wanting to risk taking time off sick or isolating to not risking giving it to family and friends who may have conditions such as asthma or are elderly etc. Granted there are some won't give a monkies.

There's a big difference between "afraid" of something and having a bit of cop on and common sense as things hopefully return to normal.

Yes we know people didn't wear masks in previous years to guard against flu etc, but we know a lot more about transmission of covid. And remember masks are just one part of infection control that has been recommended to help reduce infection.

would I be correct in saying you want people to wear masks in flu Season's going forward?

Want? No. If it's needed that's a different matter. Do you accept things change and that infection control has moved on to where masks can be part of that control if needed?

I do accept that they maybe need in very rare circumstances but in these situations hospitality, businesses etc would also be closed and there was a major threat to the public. Not in the general Winter/Cold season

We can't stay pandering to the vunerable for ever and call me selfish, horrible, etc.

If you want to wear a mask wearing one but don't expect others to wear them once resictions are lifted.

"Pandering to the vulnerable"? Isn't that what a cynical way of looking at social housing, welfare and health care etc etc if you wish to be pedantic about it?

But if there is a serious outbreak of Influenza or other serious infection and obviously I don't mean the common cold or sniffles that some seem to mistake for the same, then I agree infection control measures could be brought in as appropriate.

Btw It's not about whether "me" or "you" wanting to wear a mask when restrictions are removed. If all restrictions are lifted - that will obviously include mandated masks so yeah if some want to continue wearing a mask - then that will be up to the individual but afaik we're not there yet.

Post edited by Mecanudo on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Nobody of authority has claimed it is but the pandemic phase, in quite a few countries, most likely is. This drama of surging cases as detailed here was indicated by NPHET for a short period once we dropped restrictions. This next phase is the move to largely mask-free advice and normality.

Youv'e clearly never grasped the other half of why people wear masks and social distance, to reduce the chance of giving it and encouraging mutations.

It's not all down to fear, like you put it.

Just waiting for the 62% to get closer to 100%.

We both know it's linear.

Maybe in 2020 and 2021 people aren't as pushed about that now either.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,835 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

And again.. so what?

Covid IS NOT DANGEROUS to the overwhelming majority of people who catch it - even LESS so since Omicron became the dominant variant

For this majority, the phrase "A difference that makes no difference IS no difference!" applies. For the (thankfully!) small minority who actually ARE at potentially significant risk, they should of course continue to take precautions and actions based on their specific situation and medical advice.

But as I've said numerous time, no-one is stopping those who want to wear masks from doing so indefinitely if they so choose. However, expecting the rest of the population to do likewise is both selfish and nonsensical, no more than they did prior to 2020 for flu/winter season. Just stock up on the lemsip and soup and they'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Somebody told me there was a "Mask" thread around here someplace.....can you direct me ? 😁

The CDC (California) study does have a number of caveats,the initial 2 I read with interest....

First, this study did not account for other preventive behaviors that could influence risk for acquiring infection, including adherence to physical distancing recommendations. In addition, generalizability of this study is limited to persons seeking SARS-CoV-2 testing and who were willing to participate in a telephone interview, who might otherwise exercise other protective behaviors. Second, this analysis relied on an aggregate estimate of self-reported face mask or respirator use across, for some participants, multiple indoor public locations.

This being 'Merica,perhaps they expected to be paid for their accounts ? 💲💲

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

Eh this is a mask thread, hence my post from a report published by the CDC yesterday.

Just real-world evidence confirming basic principles and lab studies. Interestingly N95/KN95s came in at 83%, a figure we would have expected to be closer to 95-99%. Poor fit, leakage and fake's having a real part to play.

But you prefer to belittle and ignore my posts and instead rant about Covid not being "dangerous".

Don't need your "and agains" or your "as I've said numerous times" or your instructions to "stock up on the lemsip and soup".

@Seanergy This is a mask thread where they'll be discussions. It's not just for putting articles/tweets in like any thread on Boards.ie

@freshpopcorn But there was no discussion, I was tagged with a "And again.. so what?" "Covid IS NOT DANGEROUS" rant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

There are a couple of problems with that study. While they claim random selections the groups that they chose from and subsequently interview are already biased and it also relies on self reporting.

Most importantly numbers as high has that are simply not plausible. And not just from anecdotal/casual observation. Every serious study I've seen was set up to confirm much smaller reductions and proved inconclusive as the study set up was still aiming too high.

I must have miss understood you.

I just got the impression that this thread started off as a mask thread and people lost interest in it for a good while ago apart from yourself sharing links and one or few others and there was no real discussion going on until a few people such showed up here and it may have put people out by it.

This thread has changed shaped a fair bit since it began. The discussional side of this thread has been delicate to say the least because by and large the Anti-mask crowd tended to over exagerate and make false claims, and when pulled up on them they would dissapear, deflect or attack and all reasonable discussion became near to impossible. So many have stopped posting or post alternatively without investing too much in discussions IMO.

You pulled me up on sharing tweets, well here is one, we can discuss it if you want.

A few hours ago the Irish restaurnat owner Treyvaud under the guise of "fairness" exagerated that not a single mask was being worn anywhere by the adults and his basic argument is so why should children have to in schools. He brings in "for the love of God" whilst tagging our Taoiseach. Should a request like this even be discussed seeing he is lying/exagerating?

Just incase you are not up to date on the numbers, 218 children were hospitalised with Covid last week, currerntly there are 3 in ICU and 500-1000 children are acquiring long covid every day.

Masking age was reduced from 13 to 9 by NPHET who leap frogged HIQA a few months ago. It is up for review this month.

How long were they hospitalalisted for?

Were they in hospital for anything else?

Had those children in ICU any underlying conditions?

Were those children fully vaccinated?

Would be some of the things I'd like to know for starters.

Children every year have underlying conditions that could be badly effected by catching a common cold/flu.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

In the meantime 'Stiftung Warentest' in Germany - a well know and long-standing independent body testing the quality of consumer goods - set out to test child sized ffp2 masks. Which coincides with a general ffp2 mask recommendation for school children from the German health minister.

The German news magazine Focus reports on the outcome of this test.

Here I have a few selected quotes from the same article. The Headline is 'nice' already, row 1.

Stiftung Warentest cancels tests due to frightening results

Stiftung Warentest tests ffp2 masks for children. Tests abandoned due to frightening results wrt air flow / oxygen supply.

15 different brands/models of child sized ffp2 masks were tested. Sobering results; too much air flow resistance.

As there are no standardised limits to air flow resistance for children's masks half the standard limit of adult masks was assumed. None of the brands/models stayed within that limit. Many didn't even stay within the adult limit. As air flow was a showstopper test criteria the tests didn't even proceed to other criteria like fit and efficacy.

Post edited by CalamariFritti on

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

If I knew what these numbers meant I might have an opinion on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

Almost time to drop the masks altogether. Life will truly be normal then.

We need to demonstrate that these cannot be normalised and made part of every day life long-term.

Congratulations, just bypass the tweet by Irish restaurant owner lying through his teeth about mask compliance which was what you pulled me on and start asking non related questions.

You must have missed or decided to ignore my question to you in the above post. Will repeat.

Should a request like this even be discussed seeing he is lying/exagerating?

@CalamariFritti "Most importantly numbers as high has that are simply not plausible. And not just from anecdotal/casual observation."

Maybe your calculator is wOnKy?

Similar math to this study.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Great - the staff who were masked all tested negative. Perhaps going forward there should be greater emphasis on people assessing their own risk and masking up if they feel they would be at risk. If masked teachers aren’t catching it in a classroom where the children are all unmasked and have a lower vaccination rate than adults, the chances of catching it in a supermarket with the vast majority being vaccinated and boosted and with some still wearing masks even when not mandated would be extremely slim.

Advertisement