Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Joe Rogan Experience Podcasts

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭VillageIdiot71

I think you are substantially correct. Is this really the greatest threat facing the World Health Organisation and the US President? Is it even the top ten?

At this stage it's an obviously contrived issue, and the missing quality most in need is a sense of proportion. My usual trusted news source is the BBC, who I typically find give good straightforward backgrounders on issues from Brexit to Climate Change, if you want to quickly understand why something is in the news. But they've a dreadful "fact check" on their website which, straightfaced, notes the criticism of the 270 "experts". Apparently, we've to get our fact check on the 270 chancers from the Daily Mail, a paper with (to put it mildly) a particular view of the world.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/joe-rogan-spotify-covid-white-house-b2005488.html

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10418589/Most-270-signed-anti-Joe-Rogan-letter-demanding-Spotify-action-not-actually-doctors.html

Cool, has he conducted any peer reviewed research to backup his claims? Can he point to any research that backs it up? Arguing from authority while not actually having any evidence to backup his claim amounts to him being a dangerous loon with an agenda. It's like the tendency of people citing Nobel prize winners who express outlandish views, that doesn't add credibility to the views.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

What will be interesting to see is that as Covid shuffles off the stage will there be other stuff slung at the JRE?

As in: is it only the purported spreading of misinformation around Covid and its treatment (which is rapidly beginning to look like old hat) that has people's gander up or is there more to it?

Without Covid and JRE episodes about it where will his enemies and detractors go then? Or will that be it?

I think the answer will be a firm No. This campaign is not going away. Covid was just an excuse. There will be more concocted scandals. I think guilt by association will be the next one.

Joe Rogan, and what he represents, i.e. long form broadcasting without a corporation running the agenda, is a big threat to the old school corporate media. He is way more popular than the likes of CNN. They are literally dying and are lashing out desperately at anything bigger in a desperate attempt to stay alive.

Are you talking about Joe or the other scientist guy?

Is that what's required on podcasts now? Conducting peer reviewed research otherwise you're not allowed an opinion? Did all the 270 "experts" all conduct peer reviewed research prior to signing their letter? If not, does that invalidate the letter and make them "dangerous loons with an agenda"?

• Advertisement

I there are a lot of double standards that annoy people. Russell Brand played a clip of Rachel Maddow on MSNBC channel spouting off complete nonsense about the vaccines and there wasn't a peep out of anybody about it. The conservative types are so used to fake news that they didn't pick her up on it. But nobody is calling for Rachel Maddow to be fired or calling on MSNBC to be punished. And they are a TV channel.

If Spotify is a publisher does that also make Youtube or Twitter publishers also?

Dr Robert Malone hasn't had any involvement in the mRNA vaccines that exist today (either on research or testing).

Indeed he hasn't worked on mRNA technology in over 20 years and his actual significant contribution dates from nearly 35 years back when what exists today was nowhere near happening.

Several significant advancements involving thousands of people have had to take place in the decades since his time with mRNA to allow for the possibility of use in human vaccines that could actually be developed and released.

Over 20 years is a relative eternity in terms of scientific research and testing.

Malone has also voiced on several occasions his "grudge" at not being sufficiently recognised in the field according to him and has even contacted more recent pioneers threatening them about overstating their work.

Indeed, it's more accurate to say that he has being going around claiming that he's the inventor of mRNA vaccines which is not correct as it has been a long process stretching back decades before he was involved and decades after.

The pandemic has allowed for him to gain some sort of relevance with the Anti-Vax movement, even though his period of direct and current scientific relevance to the area at hand is long past.

But he has been exposed for claiming facts that he has no proof for and which indeed are misleading and false.

People were peddling around nonsense from Delores Cahill in Ireland claiming she was relevant because she had a Phd in a related field and was a professor - this is not a dissimilar situation.

People harping on about who singed a letter is a complete red herring.

The fact that the only other media outlet to give Malone a platform where he will appear because he's not questioned is Tucker Carlson on Fox News is quite telling.

Oh wait - he has also been on with Farage on GB News!

Malone is making medical claims about a vaccine, you seem to think we should lend credence to him due to his involvement in mRNA vaccines two decades ago. Not based on research or anything. Just literally by virtue of who he is. The fact he can't prove his claims is a pretty big sign of why he should not be platformed.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭arthursway

Censorship reflects a society's lack of confidence in itself.

It is the hallmark of an authoritarian regime.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

What regime has censored the JRE?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,294 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

It's the usual "free speech" shíte you hear. Joe Rogan is exercising his free speech, but apparently if Neil Young disagrees, he doesn't have the freedom to change streaming service. Freedom only applies to the people you agree with, and when they say something they should not face any consequences of their actions, because if they do, it's "cancel culture". A boycott as we once knew it, is now called "cancel culture".

• Registered Users Posts: 45,481 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Joe always preeches about censorship/free speech.

He'd surely walk if such a thing was being done to his own show... Or maybe there's a 100m reasons not too 😎

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭VillageIdiot71

Not comparing like with like. If Neil Young wants to say he doesn’t trust the science on GM crops, no one here is saying he should be denied a platform.

Ah here..

It's not like young just removed his music..

He issued an actual ultimatum to spotify..

So, you're saying he has no right to do that? Joe's rights somehow trump Neil's?

No, I'm saying that's pretty much the essence of cancel culture..

And that it's just sad to see what people who would have surely previously considered themselves quite liberal have become..

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rustynutz

Spotify is a money making enterprise, Joe Rogan currently pulls in more money than Neill, so yes, his rights come first.

I'm not a massive fan of Joe Rogan but it's obvious to anyone listening that this is mainstream media looking for any excuse to take him down as he has become more relevant and powerful than them.

If he has a guest on that I'm familiar with, I will listen to his podcast, nobody is claiming the man is any kind of genius but he does have a knack for interviewing people in a relaxed way and getting the person to disclose things that they never would if they were being interviewed on conventional TV. I would also be fairly confident that what you see with him is what you get, like it or not he speaks his mind.

I also find him fairly balanced, he let's you know his opinion on something but is very open to other opinions that maybe at odds with his, most of the time anyway.

There should be a place where anything can be discussed without all this bullshit when someone disagrees with another's opinion, I hope that spotify or Joe don't bend under the pressure and change the current format of the show.

I happened to watch that Russell brand video for my sins. To think I used to adore Brand's comedy. He's lost his mind. His arguments are either delusional or willfully disingenuous. That particular clip from Rachel maddow is a year old. What she said was supported by a handful of studies at the time. Even the CRO of Pfizer gleefully shared that study at the time. Certainly looks stupid now. Brand is dingenously comparing Rachel Maddow's year old clip to what Rogan's guests are doing now, which is repeating disproven information. It's not the same thing at all. Everything around covid has been constantly evolving. Brand uses this as a ridiculous gotcha as if no authority figure can be trusted because we've evolved our precautions with the virus.

I really miss the old Russell Brand. He's completely wrapped up in click bait conspiracies at this stage. Sad to see.

The publisher debate is really interesting. Social media in its current form couldn't exist if they were deemed publishers. Boards couldn't exist. You can't mention MCD on this site anymore due to law suits if I remember correctly. Free speech doesn't exist on the likes of YouTube nor twitter nor boards. Never has. It's not censorship for a private company to enforce its own rules. Called moderation in these parts. 4chan is the best you'll get for free speech and it devolves quickly into a cess pool.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Spotify are after removing even more episodes by the looks of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Toeuptony

Not sure if this particular wave has been mentioned yet, but it looks like Spotify have deleted dozens more JRE episodes.

https://gizmodo.com/spotify-joe-rogan-experience-episodes-removed-1848485211

• Advertisement

It's effectively the practice of boycotting which is a part of freedom of speech.... Users leaving platform are equally engaging in protest.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

They now have a compilation out of him saying the N word. All out of context stuff.

At the start of the week the US Government were coming out to say shut him down. Now somebody has trawed through thousands of hours of content to try and make a 30 second video.

That's not 1 person in his bedroom doing that. That type of stuff involves processing large data and algorithms searching for sounds. The type of thing only big tech or governments can do.

Wouldn't surprise me if Daniel Ek has had a visit to his door from a shadowy man with a cigarette.

His apology was comprehensive but I found it slightly disturbing.

In it he rationally explains that he was using the word in context, quoting other people and discussing the word itself. He didn't call anyone a n1gger.

But then he says he "now realises that it isn't his word to use" as if only black people can use a word and everyone else is forbidden to do so, even if quoting the person who said it.

That's absolutely crazy and **** stupid. The word is a word. But to be told, hey, that word isn't yours to use because of your skin tone? Ask my hole. It is entirely possible to use the word n!gger and not hold racist views. I don't use it, purely as a choice, much like I don't use other words out of choice.

But the phrasing "it's not his word to use".

Is this where we are now. Only certain people are allowed use certain words depending on their ethnicity?

Fuck off.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

If someone wanted to present a compilation of JR saying the N word they wouldn't need to trawl through all the shows.

All they'd need to do is search the previous compilations made. They've been popping up for years.

The funny thing is Rogan is a Liberal or maybe centrist in his views. Yet he is being held up as if he is leading QAnon or something. I still don't get what exactly he did and what negative consequences arose that led to this drama. Did he break the law? Not even close. He just expressed opinions that people don't like. That is essentially it. But the Helen Lovejoy types want him gone under some fake sense of protecting people. Ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭HerrKapitan

I think people are hard on Russel Brand. I think he has seen a potential for making money. I think he has just placed himself as a friend of the conspiracy loons. There are parts of his videos definitely pro-system, hidden among the placating stuff.

The US government didn't remotely say shut him down. They said Spotify and others could do more to combat disinformation on their platforms.

And the rest of your post amounts to conspiracy theories tbh. Imagine a quick Google would surface when he said things cause he's a big personality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,000 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Boycotting is absolutely a right people have and happens for all sorts of reasons. However, Neil Young issued an ultimatum to Spotify. It was either him or Rogan but not both. That is fundamentally different to a boycott.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

Advertisement