Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

******* Motors Chat Thread *******

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭passatman86

Yes for an Avensis t27

I also had 205/60/r16 on it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Absolutely no chance of that. 50 fitted is just about the price of bottom of the barrel 16" budgets these days in any tyre shop I've been near.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Dailying this yoke with semi slicks and the rain we've had is some craic, especially with 425hp on low boost now

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

What ECU are you on and where did you get it tuned?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭zg3409

I know a former NCT manager. A random guy arrived and said Gardai told him to go to NCT centre and get a noise test. The ncy guy said there is no procedure to refer a car to NCT by Gardai. There is limits in NCT manual but this guy personally decided to not check some cars and let them go. I am not sure how strict limit is compared to full revs. Cars can be mapped to pop and bang, and exhausts can be changed to vary noise. Some exhausts can be electrically switched from noisy, particularly in UK people swap out exhaust for tests.

I have never heard of Gardai roadside testing noise, I am sure it's possible, do-able, but they probably just will be extra particular on licence, insurance, tax, NCT as they are easier to enforce and prosecute. I can imagine if they went all the way to court driver will just remap or swap exhaust and if prosecution requires court rather than points it may take Gardai a day to attend court.

As said if a guy wants to be noisy he will. Burnouts, revs all can happen with barely legal noise level. I too would like to see more enforcement, but if you live in a posh area it's less of an issue.

• Advertisement

Rural areas can be very noisy too, tractors racing 24/7 during harvesting season, working all night long in fields, slurry spreading smells, fast passing cars on rural roads, crow scarers banging, early morning cow milking and cows walking to milking parlor. Good soundproofing helps, including sound deadening wall vents. Sleeping in back of house can help too. Quiet houses notice sudden loud noises more.

Rural areas often have more boy racers as many 17 year olds "need" a car for work, often a souped up banger.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭keano25

Can a car bettery be too low to use a boost pack on?

I've a 2.0 diesel BMW and my boost pack which is rated up to 3.0 diesel just will not jump it. Will only jump off another car.

In terms of tyres beware these "Irish" websites are not Irish and stock may come from Poland, Germany etc, and may take 2+ weeks to arrive. Some may come from UK and be stopped for extra duty. Some have deals with tyre places where they ship direct to them, and they fit them all in. This prevents you having to try fit 4 tyres in the car, and go driving around looking for tyre place that agrees to fit them. I have had trouble getting local places to fit them, from no quote to come back on a Tuesday morning , I ended up spending a few hours trying to get them put on in time for NCT retest. It can easily cost 20 or 25 euro a corner to fit and recycle old tyre, so bear that in mind. I do buy online tyres all the time, I cant bear local tyre place trying to put on cheapest Chinese ditch finder, particularly on a performance rear wheel car driven hard on twisty roads in heavy rain. Also rotate tyres regularly and invest a few quid in a tyre thread gauge. Check air pressures with a home handheld gauge too unless car has puncture warning system

• Registered Users Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Had a looksee today, €84 for the Kumo incl VAT, costing us €49 ex. I'm officially out of touch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Is cars and coffee not on any more? I thought it was the first Sunday of the month. I know it was cancelled with covid but I thought we are over that stage now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,089 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

No longer being organised by the original organiser due to (I think) the number of people lighting up on the way out. Also don't believe permission has been sought to continue it at Coffee Delights, but it was on yesterday looking from at Instagram

• Registered Users Posts: 8,856 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I've had my exhaust tested 4 times by Gardai for noise but each time it was just barely under the limit

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

I've gone down a rabbit hole of Rotrex super chargers and I have a bonus coming next month, bad timing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭kirving

I jumped a 2.0 TDI A3 yesterday with a NOCO 1500A. Car hadn't been started in months and the central locking was dead. Boost pack is supposed to recognise the battery if it has some charge, and only power on when you connect for safety, but I had to use the override as it was so low.

https://www.micksgarage.com/g/jump-starter/products/f2c23500863/jump-starter---genius-boost---1500a

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

My local tyre fitter does Hankooks for €75 (205/55/r16). I'd expect Kuhmos to be a couple of quid cheaper tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

During the summer I priced around a few places for PS71s in 255/35/18 for the e90. Prices were around €145.

Priced them up in newry, worked out £102/€119.

Asked a mate in the trade (main dealer) to get me a price from his parts department who I knew fitted Kuhmos to customers cars. They came back €147 from a Dublin branch of same company in the north.

Mate says to parts guy " think he's able to get them cheaper up north with same tyre place"

Parts guy asked him to find out. I tell him 119 fitted. Turns out it they weren't even getting them in that cheap 😂. Mate told me afterwards that parts guy was fuming and within the week their tyres were being delivered by a different company 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

well i was quoted €180 for two kuhmo's (205,45,r16) with tracking thrown in

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

205/55R16 is a very common size so is usually cheaper than 205/45

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

I've been looking around at where is doing Michelin PS4's the cheapest, now the PS5's have been released and are about 3 quid dearer per tyre, looks like they have a better fuel rating too. Can't find any decent reviews on them yet, but I'm assuming they're an improvement on the 4's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,687 ✭✭✭corks finest

Muppets drive noisy cars end of

inconsiderate at the minimum

idiots who wake ppl up, make pets nervous and are basically selfish muppets

what kind of a moron intentionally annoys ppl in dense populated estates

especially hard for ppl with young children

You on about these guys ^^^^^

Cause i call people with car interests an enthusiast

That’s like saying “He’s not just a football hooligan, he’s a football enthusiast too”

Ive had cars with decats, performance exhausts, induction kits etc, which will make a car louder.

I’d take that into account though and not go the whole way through the rev range in built up areas, that’s just common decency.

So you can be a car enthusiast and act decently, or you can be a car enthusiast and be a bell-end.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

What in the feck is going on here? It would appear as though a good chunk of the posters in this forum don't even like cars.

Lots of people coming out in favour of mandatory speed limiters, banning SUV's, looking forward to the demise of combustion engine, etc.

On the flip side to that you've peoples dogs barking all night waking people up,people's cats climbing all over cars possibly scratching them,people's kids crying and screaming in restaurants and cafes etc all that people to put up with that. When it's comes to a loud car its all down to how you drive it. Plenty of people drive the shite out of normal cars but because they don't have a loud exhaust you don't hear it

Colm, be honest the people who daily post in here would be enthusiasts "or else off their rocker lol"

Well yeah, I’m an enthusiast, I like the design and engineering aspects of cars, new tech, retro/classic stuff - and like reading up on things I don’t understand, at the same time I like to keep a car clean and well maintained.

that apparently lumps me in with Salthill lads in Boras with reek maps, illegal numberplates, sun strip and pink front fog lights though, under the ‘car enthusiast’ umbrella.

Ok, i see your point completely. But id say to you - a lot of those lads would spend hours in sheds or there drive ways fitting light bars, lowering their cars to the ground, fitting loud exhausts. So although everyones taste is different - its good imo to see people doing up their cars no matter what the style. Maybe im stuck in the 00's ha ha

Car enthusiasts are just glorified boy racers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

I'd agree with you there. I'm glad to see young lads still interested in cars but I do wish they'd cop on where cop on it needed and to be honest, drive better cars.

"Your car crew looks like regular traffic" springs to mind.

And RE: Muppet poster, do one. Also send me your address so I can sit on the limiter at 3am.

Advertisement