Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BoJo banished - Liz Truss down. Is Rishi next for the toaster? **threadbans in OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

😂😂😂 Touché. Raab is just ghastly and creepy too

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,620 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Tory MPs trying to act on Twitter like this is Boris making good on his promise to change things up at Downing Street. Pathetic.

Saw someone make a good point though that this leaves Boris exposed when the police investigation is finished, because it means there are fewer people he can ask to resign or to fire because of it. Fewer lambs for the slaughter.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,492 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

It's not an extreme claim; it's a fairly heavily qualified one. I was careful to say that Johnson had some form for criticising child sex abuse investigations when the suspects are white, but being more keen on them when they are not.

His criticism of the the investigations you already know about; the "spaffing up against the wall" comments. That was in relation to investigations against into allegations against mostly white people - indeed, into pillars of a mostly white political establishment; people not unlike Johnson himself. But when challenged about this in Rotherham(!) he changed his tune, and emphasised the importance of investigating child sex abuse complaints in that town, directed against non-white people.

Plus, he's on record as saying that, if Muslim parents "indoctrinate" their children into extremism, that should be treated, legally, as child abuse. He has not made that suggestion in relation to white racist extremism.

So, yeah, he has some form for double standards here (as in so many other areas of life).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,642 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I've seen some serious stupidity deployed to try and defended the bloated cretin but this takes the biscuit:

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 33,620 ✭✭✭✭Penn

If he was talking about someone on I'm A Celebrity, he'd have a point. When talking about the actual Prime Minister, "Technically he may well be a con man and he might be the bad guy" and "He might pull off one more great con" should be a clip played on every news programme until he resigns.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,863 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

It's probably the most honest defense of Johnson we have had. Plenty in England like him because he is the kind of politician who in Ireland would be a "cute hoor"

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Ultimately talking about Brexit will invite comparison with the EU.

By any metric the British economy is still performing better than the EU economy and most other large EU countries.

That's not praise for the British economy more a sad reflection on the wider continental economic malaise.

My point is that inflation is the biggest threat to Johnson and Tory rule, though the Bank of England is talking action on it, action which will be painful.

The ECB are not acting at all. Frankly that causes a cold sweat. Most of the Euro zone is addicted to free money now and facing a steep interest rate hike cycle and high inflation.

Tldr: Going on about inevitable Brexit woes is going to be easily batted away. There will be enough misery to go around but the challenges facing the EU are deeply worrying.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,604 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

The point being that Brexit will cause, has already, a drag on the economy. Even Brexiteers accept that (short term pain is worth it etc). Johnsons problems is that he needs good news on the horizon. So while they will undoubtedly compare to the EU, and that may well be a good comparison, people are likely to not overly care about other countries when their savings are reducing, their cost of living is increasing etc.

ON the point of whether Johnson can survive, he is very much down in the polls, and there is little to suggest, particularly given his history of lack of performance, to suggest that there is anything he can do to change that.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

UK trading surplus Jan £0.63Bn

Ireland public finances surplus Jan €2.2Bn "January is not a significant month for corporation tax."

The volume of trade between Ireland and GB has remained constant. The direction hasn't. We now export 20% more to and import 20% less from GB , resulting in a balance of trade shift of €5Bn in our favour.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,642 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

What metrics do you have that show the British economy outperforming the EU?

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,677 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭farmerval

It's going so well economically that the Governor of the Bank of England is suggesting that the largest drop in real income in 30 years.

"In its latest forecasts, the BoE predicted that real post-tax labour income will shrink by 2% this year, and another 0.5% in 2023 - the worst squeeze in at least 30 years." Taken from the Guardian two days ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,882 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

I'm not defending them, or even wishing them well. I was responding to the Brexit argument, the British economy has a lot of problems, no doubt but in that context you will have Brexiteers point out that the Eurozone is behind on many key performers and that the next likely place for a serious financial crisis is the Eurozone, no one should gloat over that because the problems therein are globally significant.

Unemployment rate.

UK 4%

EUR 7%

Youth unemployment. 15% in the EU Vs 11% in the UK.

10k higher GDP per capita. About 10% better in household debt to income.

Lots more like that.

Like I said that's not a positive reflection on Britain's economy, there is more to learn not what to do than otherwise, but a damning indictment of the State of the Euro zone one.

The inflation crisis is going to hit every one hard, but how it will affect Italy, Spain, France, Portugal are especially important and will be watched with concern by global central banks and financial services.

There are bigger concerns than **** little Brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Cal4567

Just come back home after working the last year in London.

This is being hyped up to all proportion by a media that wants to continue setting and controlling the agenda. It gives the opposition something to go at with the government.

To the average person, they show little interest. It's a Westminster bubble story.

The polls would completely disagree with you.

As would the many people calling into radio shows and going on TV who aren’t within the Westminster bubble and are livid that many of them didn’t get to say goodbye to loved ones who died during the pandemic(and not always of covid) and couldn’t say goodbye properly or in a reduced way. My grandmother died in December 2020 and not having the usual Irish funeral was awful so I can understand how they feel.

Comparing the UK and the whole of the EU is blls to be fair.

How is the UK comparing to similar countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I totally agree when it comes to covid restrictions even during the most severe lockdowns, they were too severe, especially in the case that one had a relative dying in hospital. And in relation to funerals as well; it all seemed way over the top and inhumane. And even if there was a risk of spreading at such events, extra precautions could have been taken to allow access. When this is all over that is something that will be criticized even here in Ireland as well.

However, in respect of this affair, it is the exact same people who criticized Alexander Bojo Johnson for not locking down soon enough, hard enough, longer enough, who are 'representative' complainants of the people who had it toughest, most 'offended' by partygate. They can't have it both ways.

Now is respect of this interview Nadine Dorries with the BBC today

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/video/2022/feb/05/nadine-dorries-refuses-to-say-whether-she-has-spoken-to-pm-recently-in-awkward-interview-video

Now I totally get Dorries does't come across as the brightest of ministers the Tory gov front bench ever had, and I know she's Bojo's biggest fan , but the attitude of the BBC presenter here is something else. Is this an example of supreme BBC journalism that we've heard so much about? That civies are required to pay €160 odd squids a year for? The same BBC that is so biased against Labour? Give me a break. #followingtheplot

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Totally agree. And you can hardly rely on 'YouGov' polls any more. Must look into why that polling entity is called YouGov in the first place, as if it's state run thus reliable. Hardly.

• Advertisement

Ah, so now its the polls are in on it as well. The media, polling companies, remainers, EU, something something.

Jebus, even Johnson has admitted that he should have done things differently and promised change and yet you guys are fighting the good fight dir the poor oppressed Johnson who is being unfairly treated because he failed to do his job or live up to the responsibility of his position.

Don’t try and spin my first paragraph as some criticism of the severity of the lockdown rules.

so no you don’t agree with me at all. It’s hardly a massive ask for Boris Johnson to folllow his own rules now is it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,653 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

YouGov is actually public and is listed on the London Stock Exchange. The founder Nadhim Zahawi is now a Tory MP, he stood down from YouGov when he won a seat in Strafford upon Avon in 2010 and later worked in Theresa Mays government. YouGov has been accused of having a Tory polling bias in the past so if their polls are showing Boris' numbers have tanked then it could be even worse than what the numbers are saying.

Well Nadine Dorris can rest because business secretary Kwasi Kwarteng tried to claim that Boris Johnson was right to say what he said about Keir Starmer and jimmy Saville. These people can’t help themselves.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Sports back on TV. Which will take some pressure off Boris. Go Team GB ! It's a shame England lost.

Expect photo opportunities to be exploited.

Hi-vis, a flag, and a convenient exit route so he can exit stage left if there's any questions.

BBC news is about her nibbs 70th so that's another day out of the limelight. Though she did sign a card "your servant Elizabeth R"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,492 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

These figures don't show the UK performing better than the EU. For example, the UK GDP/Capita being 10% higher than the EU's is not a sign of UK outperformance if, in fact, five years ago it was 20% higher. To see how each economy is performing, you need to look at changes over time, not at a snapshot.

The awkward fact is that, by most measures, the UK is performing worse than comparable European economies - economies which, before Brexit, it used to match very closely.

Advertisement