Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭Marius34

I think you talk about public debt, not the private one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭The Student

It comes from institutional investors on the bond market. The NTMA raise funds on behalf of the State but its the private market that funds the Bonds. Ireland inc has a good credit rating which is why we can issue Bonds at 0% interest rates as we are seen as almost risk free to institutional investors.

Public debt comes from the private market, the only difference between public and private debt is the status of the borrower. The funding comes from the private sector.

We need to reduce our costs to increase employment and attract foreign investment. One of our highest cost is our welfare system. Everything is connected and if we make welfare more attractive than working then people will logically choose the most beneficial to them.

If this happens the income tax generating revenue disappears and people become net beneficiary of state spending. Again I ask how to fund this?

To bring this back on topic the above is one of the reasons the housing sector is in the mess it is. Its not the only reason but it is one of the main reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭Marius34

I think you answered yourself your own question.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭Timing belt

The main buyers of Irish gov debt are mainly financial institutions that are required to hold liquid assets due to ECB regulatory requirements.

e.g.

if there is an increase in deposits in the European banking system there will be an increase in demand for Irish government debt as the banks are required to hold HQLA of which gov bonds will account for a large portion. 9 times out of 10 they are not buying the gov bonds for returns but because they have to keep their banking licence.

For the past 10 years the ECB have been buying Irish debt and as a result providing cheap finance. This will fall away and go in reverse as the European economy grows and as a result the yield will go higher as the financial institutions regulatory requirements will not be enough to buy all the debt so they will need to increase yield to attract investors. In reality what will happen is that as yields go higher to attract investors this will increase the cost of credit reduce the money supply and cool the economy and if there is not genuine growth in the economy that increases the money supply to counteract the impact of the increase in the cost of credit the ECB will be forced to slow down QT, cut rates or even step back in with more QE.

Bringing this back to housing the Government would be crazy not to borrow to resolve the housing crisis if it meant reduced rent and lower houses prices in real terms (i.e. taking cpi inflation into account) as this would increase the disposable income, reduce the cost of living and make Ireland more competitive on the job front. At the very least not have housing as the reason why companies would not invest in Ireland.

The real issue is that no matter how much money you throw at the issue it will not get resolved immediately as there are constraints to the number of houses that can be built and supply will take the best part of 5 years to meet demand (assuming no massive unemployment or changes to emigration/immigration). Also if the government are throwing money at the housing market to fix it needs to be value for money as any investment like this needs to have a tangible benefit (e.g. x saved in HAP payments, reduced rents, increased disposable income etc)

There is noting wrong in borrowing to improve a situation and reduce further borrowing down the road. Where it becomes an issue is when you are constantly borrowing to pay day to day running costs as that is not sustainable over the long term.

Thank you. Govt debt is financed from the private sector.

You have reinforced my point. Tough decisions need to be made in the short term but no one wants to take them.

I still believe one of the highest costs we as a society have that is in our control to a large degree is our welfare bill. Going some way to reduce that will benefit our economy reduce cost and increase tax revenue which can be used to at least service new debt that's used specifically for capital projects.

This will remove the states reliance on the private sector for social housing and by extension its affect on those trying to buy.

But our reluctance to deal with non paying mortgage holders, tenants be they public or private needs to also be addressed as this to is impacting on the property sector but no one wants to grasp that nettle.

• Advertisement

The tough decisions were made back in 2020 when government stepped in with expenditure to stop the economy going into recession and leaving a trail of destruction that would take ten years to fix.

If they had followed previous governments responses with austerity they would have cut all expenditure and increased taxes which would have made a bad recession even worse.

I agree with alot of the supports the state gave during the pandemic. However prior to the pandemic when the economy was doing well the property market issues were becoming apparent in 2016 (in my personal experience) onwards and the situation was not improved.

yes and before the pandemic the government debt to government revenue was falling. On the Bond market Ireland had similar yields to the stronger economies in Europe (with the exception of Germany) which was unthinkable 5 years prior to that.

The issues with housing all derived from the fact house building more or less stopped after ‘08 and when supply need to pick up it didn’t because it takes time to get the engine running again. In an ideal world the government would have stepped in an built social housing to keep the engine ticking over but it didn’t have that luxury as the IMF and Europe were shoving austerity down our throats.

While all of what you say is true, there were other decisions that impacted on the housing supply. The rpz legislation and the RTB pro tenant bias.

There are many properties lying idle specifically because of the above. The requirement for high standards of rental housing regulations.

Logic would suggest during a housing crisis once a property is habitual it is better than someone either living at home or in an over crowded situation.

Rumours going around is that rental properties will be required to meet a ber of B in the near future.

Unless rent can be increased to get a return on the extra investment expect those properties to either be sold or be left empty for capital appreciation further reducing or offsetting new build stock.

The RPZ legislation is a double edged sword... without it we would be seeing rent increasing in double digits the past few years and with it we see a reluctance to cut rent because once they do they will be stuck with it for years to come.

Even if the RPZ was not in place I believe that we would still see the same level of vacancy in the rental market because the institutional landlords have deep pockets and can sit it out till someone rents the properties as they have no alternative in this housing market. The only time you will see them reducing rent is when there is a over supply of rental properties and the pendulum swings back in favour of the tenant.

The rumours on the BER rating is global.... you just need to look at the UK where they are looking at setting a minimum efficiency rating for office blocks in order to meet their green goals. The same no doubt will happen here and will extend into the residential market. It is the no different to the green tax on fossil fuels as the governments try and change peoples behaviour. just like the price of diesel or petrol going up hurts peoples pockets no doubt this will also do the same.

• Advertisement

I have started monitoring the supply of properties advertised on Daft and will try and post the data on a monthly basis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

Are you also capturing rentals in the data?

I had a back of a fag packet attempt at a calculation a few months back when there were around 1000 ads for rentals that in fact when you remove grossly unaffordable and student places, in reality there was closer to 600 actual ads for rentals available in the whole city. A city where a company like Facebook could say it wants to add 600 jobs in a year. Wfh is a good cover for the collision course our housing situation is due to have with our attractiveness for companies to call people back to Dublin to their offices, but it is pretty obvious that there won't be meaningful immigration to Ireland for a while with the ongoing rental situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

I think it's the best metric. When the tide goes out....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,680 ✭✭✭CorkRed93

How many properties could the state actually own if they spent 8.7 million a year building and buying their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Well when the state is spending over half a billion per annum on HAP and then the enhanced "Homeless HAP" which has a much higher individual payment, this outcome is inevitable.

Ires also had rented out a large number of apartments in Finglas to HAP tenants and then got Tuath to take over the tenants and agree a 25 year enhanced lease. Of course it's "commercially sensitive" so they couldn't possibly say how much of joe taxpayer's money is being spent. Nice work if you can get it. https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/investment-fund-in-social-housing-lease-for-40m-apartments-1.4619780

• Registered Users Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭Villa05

From the program they stated that of the units currently in planning. Roughly two thirds are apartments with the remaining been houses.

At a minimum you would expect 30% of houses to end up in social/affordable or in the hands of investment funds given their declared intentions to expand in both financial and geographical terms in the country

Given that developers have suddenly decided that apartments are more expensive than houses and that private buyers won't touch them. The current system is completely against the private buyer in terms of both buying, but also in terms of driving up current rents

The land and construction lobby have very quickly wrestled back control of policy and the result is the most expensive social housing in the world paid for by perspective first time buyers. So the fruits of there hard work is used against them by there government.

Let's not try to paint a picture that ffg is on the side of hardworking people trying to provide housing for themselves. The facts show the complete opposite

I said noting about FF/FG..... what I said is I believe that FTB's will be worse off if SF are in government because they will not be able to deliver on 40k houses a year and will prioritise social housing over private housing.

Every man and there dog new that SF would be asked how they would be able to build 40k when the existing government is struggling to build half that number. The answer provided no confidence that they would be able to do so.

Gov don't claim to build 33k this year but to have an average of 33k per year over 5 years.

Cork City is crumbling in places. Huge blocks of Limerick are cordoned off for a project that's been talked about for 20 years. Lots of empty unit mainly caused by dounut planning policies. Former landmark commercial units lie empty

Using what we have more efficiently is always better for your pocket, environment

What could be done to bring back unused properties to the market?

Carrot

Allow ftb grant to be applicable to long term empty units

Pool ftb and seai grants to help bring units back to acceptable standards

Pool state resources such as councils, bord Failte and others to help reinvigorate Town centres. Convert closed businesses to housing. These towns would have spare capacity in their schools, this could save the state in other budget departments. Seen on Irish Times today Ballinrobe has 199 vacant units and 0 rentals.

Remove extortionate charges for reconnection to services. Very few services charge you to be a future customer.

Stick

Hefty tax if empty after a (to be determined) period of time.

If after a period of this tax the property remains empty, introduce a compulsory selling order.

We need to be taxing waste more and productivity less

• Advertisement

I don't necessarily agree. Yes in the short term rents would continue to rise but investors would see super normal profit and therefore increase supply in the longer term.

The vacancy rate by institutional landlords would be force down. While I agree institutional landlords do have deep pockets they also have a cash flow need to service existing pension payouts.

It is a very risky gamble in my opinion holding out too long. If we go into a recession or as we are seeing the cost of living increasing so much people will not have the money to pay the high rents of institutional lettings.

Again I would ask why would a landlord invest in improving ber without a corresponding increase in rent? If this happens logic would suggest some landlords will not do this thereby reducing limited supply even further.

I don't disagree that we need to use the housing stock more efficiently..... but that still does not explain how 40k of properties can be delivered...

"I said noting about FF/FG..... what I said is I believe that FTB's will be worse off if SF are in government because they will not be able to deliver on 40k houses a year and will prioritise social housing over private housing"

Apologies on the first sentence. I get a bit carried away when I realise the damage they are doing to our country and people.

On the rest, I disagree somewhat for 1 key reason

Polls show that SF are the 2nd highest just slightly below FG in 1st preference votes amongst 3rd level educated voters. One would assume that these are younger voters most probable in potential ftb bracket.

For this reason I belive SF are genuine when they say 50/50 split between private and social/affordable in new builds. They know where there vote is and there has been noticeable moves to centre left in their policies

Also if you are working off the same budget, but can get more built for less money you increase supply. What's being paid out on some of these long term leases could build 3 units on state owned land for the price of 1 leased unit.

SF are well aware of history and will know that FF were handsomely rewarded for providing housing for our citizens throughout the last century.

I'm not a SF voter, rater reading the tea leaves

I agree with your logic except for one point and that is that the housing market is inelastic at the moment as there are constraints on how many properties can be built.... if this can be built up over time then yes the increase in supply makes property more affordable.

There was an interesting working paper on the topic that looked at the US housing market and the impact of institutional investors and QE on the housing market that would support what you are saying in a market that has capacity to build.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/real.stlouisfed.org/wp/2020/2020-047.pdf

People can get bogged down on the HAP figures, while the figure is eye watering. The multitude of different schemes means the cost to the state is far higher. This is from a document available online titled:

Spending Review 2021

Analysis of Social housing current expenditure programne

In response to this level of need there has been a significant increase in Government intervention. 

Total expenditure related to housing has increased significantly (128%); from €1.2 billion in 2016 

to a peak level of €3.1 billion in 2021.

Figure 1: Total Expenditure Related to Housing, 2016-2021

The issue is not the money the issue is the capacity to build.... even if you are able to build a house cheaper it doesn't mean you can build more of them.

I get that there is a big protest vote and can understand why but I have serious questions about the SF plan as it doesn't stack up. I tuned in to the debate expecting Eoin to explain how he could make his plan work but instead all that came across was someone that was unable to answer questions.

I think that there are plenty of apartments for those Facebook and Google etc people. A whole load of the ads on the first few pages of daft listings are for multiple flats of all sizes in the big developments (Clancy quay etc), though they only would appear, in your analysis, as a single ad.

But they’re all €2.5k plus (with most €3-4K), so very specifically for those kind of earners. Sunday times published average earnings for tech staff today….can’t remember the exact number but was €130k+ I think, maybe higher (the average wage). There is good supply of apartments for these people

It the squeeze for the middle earners, who need apartments below €2k, that is the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Ozark707

in fact it’s more. was in the Sunday times today, for a Facebook & Google worker. It was an insane number. Unfortunately I stuffed today's Sunday times into my boots after I got swiped by a rogue wave in strandhill this morning. But just checked the times online edition

can’t paste, and link will need a password, so will paraphrase:

”average yearly salary including shares and pension at Facebook in Ireland is €160k. Google is €148k”

I know that averages are inflated by the very high salaries of senior management, but it’s still a staggering number. Is no wonder that apartments are getting bid up and up and that €3/4k monthly rent for the many new top end developments on Daft doesnt seem to be a barrier

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Dublin is finished. As well as an awful housing situation Ireland also has a nasty reputation for its immigration services. And lockdowns. The next census (postponed from 2021) will be interesting..

Advertisement