Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dying Light 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,888 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

DL1 scored 'poorly' as well iirc with mostly 7's but that was one of the most fun/best games of that generation. I feel for the devs as they are trying to be as positive and nice about it as possible but you'd imagine they would make most of their money from high scores instead of long support. Saying that, no man's sky released so much free content i had to wonder where they were getting the money from. Maybe devs can make money in the long run from word of mouth and people buying the game again. I did buy DL1 twice.

Nice little crossover from DL1. Spike is an NPC you meet early on and do quests for. Last few weeks had live events helping him round up the last few survivors whilst Harran fell to the virals (dangerous running zombies). In these events, the map was much for more and more dangerous with the last few nights being crazy with virals swarming you day or night.

According to the below, Spike made it out with a bunch of survivors whilst Crane went looking for a cure in the countryside (The Following) and Spike ends up in a new city...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

I just played a few mins to test. There's a new Nvidia game-ready driver for it out now and also I highly recommend checking out Digital Foundry's PC optimisation guide (linked below). It is a performance killer with RT even with DLSS but it is one of the most impactful implementations I've seen, where it's really adding to the atmosphere rather than just adding some prettier shineys. The menus are a mess with obviously being controller focused rather than remember that PCs do actually have this wonderful thing called a mouse. Where this gets really annoying is in options with multiple screens, especially video where you can easily hit the binary-page-flip buttons thinking you'll see more options (as happens in other areas like Controls) but in reality have just wiped away your customisations by selecting a different preset instead. For video I had to reload to get it to accept my change to DX12 and until I did RivaTuner overlay was telling me I was getting near 100FPS in DX11 when it clearly was MUCH lower, on reboot it showed DX12 and yep a frame rate in the 40s (I had everything maxed at 4k a little tuning from the DF video below and it's now at 60-70 with minimal visual differences).

Control binding is also kinda broken. You can't remap mouse buttons at all so you'll need to set those to Keys in your mouse software if you want to set them to any other functions. Some functions are not represented in the configuration options (e.g. it just told me I need to hold TAB for a new function which is not shown anywhere in the menu to remap). After I reloaded to fix the DX11/DX12 issue my control changes hadn't been saved, I haven't tried since to confirm.

Last up after the first tutorial section I was on my way to the next target and wanted to try some parkour tests on a nearby house that had a boat rack. I ended up stuck under the lowest boat with no way to get out. So at that point I just quit and will wait for the weekend and hopefully some quick fixes for things like the controls.

Still I was a Dead Island fan and LOVED Dying Light 1 so I have high hopes for this beyond some niggling initial problems. This will absolutely own my weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Anyone play it on ps5 with the day one patch yet? Seen one or two videos on YouTube saying it seems to of fixed some stuff and that the story is still the main issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

Anyone know where’s cheapest to grab this on disc PS4 ?

id rather buy that one cheaper then use it in PS5 for the digital PS5 version

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

About an hour in on the ps5 with the patch, zero issues so far. Looks cracking, runs smooth, excited to dive further in

Same as Jim, about an hour in on PS5 and really smooth, no bugs for me so far. Game looks beautiful, the night actually feels different to the first game, different sense of fear when a chase starts to the first as there seems to be more going on and more danger. Climbing and skills feel very weak at the moment but was the same starting the first game, really feel vulnerable starting off. Weird not having a repair option for weapons but might be more fun using weapons, breaking them, finding new ones instead of keeping the same few and repairing. Will see how that works out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,152 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I am fuming! Preordered this yesterday in Gamestop. I work nights. Got to the Parkway at 5.10, closed. Drove out to the crescent to see if they could sort me. Closed. On a Friday, WTAF?!

Now I've to wait until tomorrow. Enjoy whoever has it!

Yeah for a big release on a Friday, would be handy if they gave people a chance to collect after work. I had to bomb in on my lunch. Got the 10 euro voucher though which is very handy. Either get psn credit to get Elden ring digitally or just get a physical copy from GS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Just watched the Digital Foundry video,game looks pretty stunning maxed out.

No cross play makes me sad as I'm going to be playing co-op and mates have playstation so no PC version for me.

More expensive on playstation too. Gonna wait a few weeks before picking it up. Have Mass Effect 3 to finish first

Post edited by EoinHef on

• Advertisement

3 options on series X and PS5 performance which is 1080p @ 60fps, quality 1080p 30fps and ray tracing, and resolution which looks great in 4k but 30fps.

Has to be the 60fps mode for me but 1080 visuals ain't that great. I might bump it up to higher resolution and see if I can tolerate the drop in fps.

The 60fps is so important for the fps parkour and chases but yeah, would love a best of both worlds.

My biggest gripe at the moment is in using survivor sense way more than i did in the first game. Hats off to making it immersive without shiny objects sticking out and arrows over people you can talk to but it's making me spam survivor sense to see what i actually can pick up and who i can talk to.

I spent a lot of time at the Bazaar looking for people i could talk to because the quest was "meet the people of the Bazaar" but the rest to proceed was to go off do either side quest instead.

The city is great though and blast skipping over the rooftops. Took a shortcut through an open window and the inhabitants completely took me by surprise so the day can still be deadly which is good.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Was the day one patch released? I downloaded a patch but it was less than a gig but I read somewhere it was 20 gigs?

I got a chuckle when I approached the antenna at the start

Aiden says something along the lines of I'm glad I don't have to climb to the top of that

Yupp, thought it was supposed to be a bigger patch as well but dev said the latch today/ last night is the day one patch.

Survivor sense is getting on my nerves I'd rather not have to press that every 2 seconds and the stuff be highlighted when you are near it.

I predict that will be patched.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

Survivor sense reminds me of the Batsense in the Arkhsm games how often it's being used, too much. Other than that really enjoying the first few hours, gameplay is at its best when parkouring, closely followed by dropkicking enemies. I think overall it does a good job of gradually bringing in new elements rather than bombarding too much at once.

Saw a tip on reddit to turn off 'auto aim melee' and it feels way better. Not harder at Al and feels more like DL1. Devs have acknowledged that zombie ragdoll isn't working as it should and will be looking to patch it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Dx 11 buttery smooth,Dx12 and RT not exactly smooth.

Enjoying it so far but coop is brilliant.

I prefer the coop system this way as I join others and dont progress my story, i wanna make my own choices.

Definitely has that 'one more quest' quality which is a good sign. Man, when the bells start sounding and the sun is going down, it gets seriously tense. Seems to be a nice slow build to it as well. I read people wished skills were unlocked sooner but i know when you're maxed out, you will be hunting at night like the last game, no rush for that, will enjoy the atmosphere that comes with being underpowered while it lasts.

Good few hours now on the PS5 and zero bugs for me.

• Advertisement

There some mind boggling inhibitor boxes, which I assume everyone is focusing on. Just cant find them, 9 metres away.....the **** is it? lol

Oh one very annoying thing on PC is you have to press 3 to switch weapons, 2 to switch consumable, the weapons wheel or any wheel just doesnt work (2 of us with this issue) so assume its the game.

**edit**

Fix for PC, Yeah im not doing that, will wait for the patch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jr1PcfLyysg

I'm going blind or stupid here I can't see how to repair weapons?

Ya can't! Well, why time you mod/upgrade a weapon with a craftmaster, it fully repairs. It's making me hesitant on being attached to a weapon enough to mod it though.

Could you repair in the first game? Yeah I have 2 legendary weapons already and really don't want to lose them but seems you can repair a bit with mods

Yupp, you get to repair a weapon 3 times before it's gone for good but in end game, i had 5 repairs per weapon but any time i did, it wasn't using the 5 allowed repairs so was like i had infinite. No idea of it was because of a perk or what.

The weird thing with this is that it's rare you can pick up your enemies weapon so if you were in a long stretch of an event section, you could get stuck with no weapon, will see how it plays out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,152 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

There was a perk which stopped you damaging the weapon a % of the time IIRC, and towards end game it usually meant you didn't damage the weapon much.

Game is en route (my mammy picked it up for me :)) so looking forward to an entire night of it. Haven't played the first in a while so hopefully won't feel the slowness as much as others here have said. I am excite!

I had to read on twitter about the distance meter that pops up on the bottom left of the screen when you hear the automated voice tells you about a nearby container. I tried going into a few GRE places but got a warning that it's too dangerous so for now, I'm running around doing a mix of main and side quests while doing any injectors that pop up as i get close. Need to do more windmills.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Played for few hours today on the Ps5 everything running well no bugs crashes etc. Have no real issues with anything atm actually nothing important anyway.

Really enjoying it and would have it on now only for the GAA being on!

As always I've found not to use reviews as the final word on anything use them as a guide and decide ultimately for yourself!

3 of us just went into a Dark Zone during the day and killed 3 Volatiles to get 4 inhibitors.

It sounds good in one sentence, what actually happened was lots of screaming (us) a team attack plan being ripped us in seconds as everyone ran for their lives, land mines being used badly, ladders being a safe space, lots of respawns, people being left on their own as the others ran. But we got there in the end. Recorded most of it, fuckin hilarious and tbh played at least 10 hours or coop today 100% worth the price.

FYI when you kill a zombie and pickup a X Trophy (the most important currency in the game) you get more than one, so dont think you have to kill 50 volatiles to get 50 uniques, like 4 will give you 50.....TIL

In saying that game is a blast and 2 of us still on 1st area, other is into the 2nd. It has issues like some stupid issues for a game that went gold 2 months ago it has some not really serious issues just annoying mainly because I know they will be fixed and are clearly obvious so were obvious 2 months ago.

Main issue stamina bar in coop basically doesnt work, response time in coop is horrific for a game with complex jumps this can get frustrating, especially in the parkour races.

Doesnt happen in SP, got gold in a challenge (didnt tell the others) in Coop i didnt even finish, This is an issue especially when you trying to get chase 4/4 in coop.

Moves you unlock work if they feel like working and the keybinding choices are mind boggling, example I have the drop kick from a height and the Ground Pound, I go for one and the other happens, the Vault Jump worked until I unlocked another skill and just doesnt work anymore. A bit fo work needed on the parkour part.

Otherwise 100% GOTY!!!

• Advertisement

Definitely try upload that video if you can, sounds like a right laugh!

Advertisement