Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare GAA Discussion - 2024 All Ireland Hurling Champions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭letowski

What a remarkable achievement by Tulla, as a small rural school, getting to the Harty Cup final. Well done to everyone involved there.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭supernova5

yea brilliant result for the Tulla school, looks like they will really be up against in the final, Ardscoil Ris with a whopping 15 points to spare over a strongly fancied Thurles Cbs in their semi final

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Hi folks. Anyone know if i can buy a ticket outside Cusack Pk tomorrow.

The 5000 limit is gone (i think)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

When is the Harty Cup final on?

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭lim4ev

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

I'd say the Harty final will be on in either Cusack Park or the TUS Gaelic Grounds. They ll probably toss for it . Unbelievable result for Tulla. The schools they've knocked out DLS..1400 boys...CBC about the same ,although a predominantly rugby school. And fermoy.. Wow. Iv heard lots about Withycombe..must be a good player.

Ard Scoil have a decent Clare representation as per normal. 2 starting from Sixmilebridge..Kennedy is a very good corner forward ,Flynn corner back and then you have the centre forward from Broadford. Goalie is from Clonlara and lots of Clare Subs. They are a strong side..O Brien from Kilmallock is Unbelievable and the Na Piarsaigh lads are very well coached. But Ard Scoil are no better than Fermoy..who Tulla have already beaten..What a game in store.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

was able to get a viewing of the Ardscoil Ris full squad, as far I can tell there are 13 Clare players in that squad of 32

seems as though Tulla depend a lot on Withycombe for their scores,

Yeah a good spread..Unusual to see a Newmarket-upon-Fergus player in the subs for Ard Scoil.Great for Clare that all these guys are getting exposure. Limerick had only one school in the Harty this year..

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

This is going to be a rout.

What's very dissappointing is Clare structures have completely collapsed, puckouts, distribution, passing, etc. Discipline is atroious. Limerick obviously the better team, better coached, better prepared. But just a dissappointing performance and effort in front of a good crowd.

Yeah hard to take too many positives out of that. A few good performances ..Ryan was decent wing back but he can't shoot everything he gets his hand on.. Played well overall. Full back line did OK considering the ball that was coming in. Limerick did what they do..destroyed the centre of the field. Jason McCarthy was so poor and the whole half forward line was roasted. Shane Golden is way off, not good enough. Rodgers was very good, we could have got a goal or two but the game was over at half time . Clare are miles behind but they know what they have to do. Gough was decent...Cleary was steady..Malones shooting was shocking

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Advertisement

Yeah I agree. The one worry I think looking ahead though, and Brian Lohan alluded to it in his post game interview, is that there is a share of key players now that have long term injuries, that will be unavailable for large parts of the league maybe could stretch into championship. Looking at it there, obviously Kelly and Conlon are dealing with their respective injuries, and will miss some of the league. Aidan McCarthy is touch and go for the championship itself. Shane O'Donnell said in a recent interview he will take the preseason/league slowly, which is fair enough. Peter Duggan is also supposedly injured too now. I'm not sure for how long, but he of all the players on the panel needs gametime at this level given he has been away from the game for two years now.

Yesterday was a stark reminder both in terms of how much work we have to do, but also how we don't have great depth in the panel. But with the early start to the championship this year, and a plethora of key players injured, there is that danger we could be undercooked going into the championship. It's worrying, I suppose we will see how we fare in a fortnight below in Cork and take it from there. But I think Clare are going to need players like Rodgers, Meehan, Donnellan, maybe Cian Galvin, guys like this to come through. Crotty looked good when he got introduced, still just 18. I think if we can our best players on the field come championship, we will be ok, but we still need young lads coming through.

Yeah I agree with you. I think we will ha e a decent team come Championship. I thought they might even beat Limerick yesterday. But that was pure fantasy. They won't be beating Limerick this year.

Aaron Fitz was poor aswell.. his hurling needs serious work. Conlon probably has to go back centre back now. Although I'd try McCarthy there awhile longer.Peter Duggan really needs alot of games to get him up to speed and there's no guarantee that he'll be in great form. Shane O Donnell is badly needed aswell. It's the weakest panel in Munster ,no doubt about that but our starting 15 is good but if people didn't realise how far off we are yesterday was a good indicator

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Treble double

How will Clare line out Sunday against Offaly, I will have a stab at the following without any information on injuries.

Stephen Ryan

Manus Doherty, Cillian Brennan, Connor Jordan.

Ciaran Russell, Conal O Hanefien, Pearse Lillis

Darragh Bohannon, Cathal O'Connor

Eoin Cleary, Jamie Malone, Emmet McMahon

Keelan Sexton, David Tubridy, Cian O'Dea

• Registered Users Posts: 5,315 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

When you see that 15, it looks pretty impressive.

We're at home and would be slight favorites going into this game, with Offaly coming up from Div 3.

A win here could be valuable by the end of the league, so we need to make sure of it.

I think O'Hanefein hasn't committed to the panel this season. Jordan and Malone just back from club duty so may not feature. A chance for a few others I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,077 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Good start to the league for the footballers , but plenty to work on , offaly looked good for the first 25 minutes racing into a 0-5 to 0-1 lead with a strong wind at their backs , but could only manage 2 more scores for the rest of the game and one point from play ,

manus doherty made his clare debut after a fine championship with eire og , and dispite his man kicking 3 fine scores , he had a brillient first outing ,keelan sexton , cillian brennan eoin cleary , pearse lillis were all excellent too in fainrness ,

offaly have some really good tallent coming through but they could struggle this year on todays performance , other then bernard allen they looked poor up front , niall mcnamee and anton sullivan were both substuted at half time , cormac egan and Jack Bryant will come good in time but today wast really their day when they came on

Ya Offaly have a bright future but they came up against an experienced div 2 side today and were beaten without too much fuss. Hard to see them surviving on this showing. It won't be plain sailing for Clare either, this division is cut throat, but a solid win and 2 points on the table and plus the experience that has been banked from previous seasons at this level will hopefully be enough for Clare to survive. Thought Cian O Dea was excellent too today.

He did as always some engine in the man he covers some ground Russell did well too before taking off

Really good to see a Clare football side so comfortable at this level not panicking when behind though

Next week is another interesting one , it will be close in my opinion ,I don't see anyone separating Galway and Roscommon at the top of the league but it would be nice to get up the table a bit more , would be great to be going into the break on 4 points

• Registered Users Posts: 5,315 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Looks like Colm Galvin has now announced his retirement from intercounty, due to persistent injuries. A real class act in his day, great to take a long-range score.

Added to all the other injuries we have at present, to key players, how are we set for the league?

We start this weekend playing Cork in Cork which is a pretty tough start.

I think it's Wexford, Offaly, Limerick and Galway also in our group.

Unreal by Tulla. Congrats to everybody involved!

• Advertisement

yea that is savage, fairy tale stuff really, goes to show what can be achieved when a team shows true grit, absolute conviction of never yielding and displaying more than the sum of their parts

Clare in huge trouble at HT 1-19 to 1-9, probably already over.

Lohan massively outcoached on the line, Clare are getting dominated on the puckouts, just like the last game versus Limerick. And again, some very poor distribution into the inside line (who do look dangerous when they get the ball). Aside from Malone, the midfield and half backline is all at sea. Shanagher playing an outfield role is completely lost.

But unless they can start the second half well, this is looking like a hammering for Clare.

Lost by nine in the end, which is very flattering. A few late scores for us avoided a massive hammering we deserved.

Same struggles between the 40s where we were completely overran again. We badly need to produce midfielders and half forwards with size and atheletism that can hurl. But we just don't have them. Some injured players to come back but some of them are serious injuries with an early start to the championship.

Very worrying to be honest, even this early in the sesaon.

didnt see it or hear commentary but that would seem like a complete horror horror showing from Clare

does any one know the full squad named for the game

Starting team was Quilligan, Flanagan, Cleary, A Fitzgearld, Ryan, Browne, Hayes, Mounsey, McInerney, Malone, Reidy, Taylor, Shanagher, Rodgers, Meehan.

Subs were Foudy, Crotty, Donnellan, D Fitzgearld, Golden, J McCarthy, McMahon, Lohan, Cooney, Conlon, Darren O'Brien.

Donnellan, Crotty, D Fitz and McMahon came on, not sure did someone else. Crotty made an impression, but he is very young, I don't think we can be asking him to start. Malone was out best player today.

thanks letowski,

thats a strong enough starting 15 which is even more concerning, 2 hammerings in succession wont do the confidence much good

lets be honnest that is the story of the year let alone day for clare gaa , for a school and an area of that size to win a harty cup is unbeliveable , fantastic achivement was traveling to cork so i didnt get to see much coverage of it , sean withycombe is some man on the frees and has been all year , how brian loahan would love to have someone as accurate at senior level at the moment

for that whole area , tulla feakle , mills clooney and broadford its huge for clare hurling and espically underage developments in the future we really need that part of the county strong ,

5 clare lads lined out fro ard scoil too today the furure is bright

i agree it was flattering , but its work in progress , that 10 minute spell before half time killed us , at the moment without the likes of conlon , o'donnell kelly and duggan i am not expecting us to pull up many trees , expecting a much better performance against wexford but its work in progress for the year ahead i think

good battling performance by the footballlers , in reality it was amix up from a brian hurley free that droped short that helped cork salvage a draw in the end , keelan sexton was excellent again kicking 1-5 good performances off the bench from daniel walsh , emmett mcmahon , taught pearse lillis cian o'dea and manus doherty were again brilliant from last week , a break next week before the trip to roscommon in two weeks time is up next , i fancy our chances of geting somthing in the next two home games but i cant see us getting anything against galway or roscommon away

• Advertisement

Clare probably favourites to beat Cork even down there. Played with the wind in first half and started slowly, alot of errors eventually got a bit of rhythm and were ahead by 3 at the break. 3 point lead didn't seem nearly enough facing into the gale in the second half but they battled and were in a good position going down the straight. Then Cork got a free that would allow them to equalise. The ball dropped short and ended up in the Clare net. Sucker punch, game over. No. 2 down going into injury time, Clare into the teeth of the gale worked two great points and came away with a point. Serious balls in that Clare team.

Advertisement