Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Violent Mediocrity

Is having 15 Mack Hansen’s “being Irish” enough? If it’s not and he wants 15 guys who trained here grew up here and came though the system then he is excluding all those who left our shores in previous generations. To which the bigot will say they should have stayed and fought for their place in Ireland. It breeds savagery and negativity. It also breeds a sense of entitlement and supremacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Is there a match thread yet so that we can discuss rugby?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Has Paul Kimmage released a rugby related article yet? It's not really the 6 nations until he's had a go at it and brought all the haters along with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Why even bother!You dislike homegrown players? I'd prefer any Irish player to Mack Hansen! But, he's eligible and he is deserving of the opportunity.

It appears you would like a rainbow coalition on the team. A few from here or there, or maybe 15 IQ'd due to using the shitter at the airport.

I see you're not a bigot! Good job! Now go wax your ferrets and congratulate yourself. Your inclusive personality is refreshing!

When do we get to the part about national anthems and Irelands call?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 Violent Mediocrity

No I also apologise you’ve got completely the wrong end of the stick here. I don’t think you’re a bigot in any way shape or form. I think you’re an affable friendly person who hasn’t really considered the measurement of such ideas. Not that you couldn’t, you could and will. I just think you answered a straight forward question in a straight forward way. I didn’t mean to belittle anyone in any way. And you’re right too much of my way leads to a rainbow team. Let’s get on with the rugby! I was illustrating a point not having a go. But there is was and will be savagery in this country at your end of the spectrum. Not you though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭kuang1

Most used headline tomorrow?

"Big Mack attack" (after he scores a hat trick today)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,999 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Plays well; "Mack the Knife cuts Wales to shreds".

Gets a hat-trick; "Mack Three as supersonic Hansen fills his boots"

Scores again next week; "Return of the Mack"

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ythomasshelb

Excited to see Ireland vs wales parting in the opening match of Guiness Six Nation Championship 2022

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Weather a little more unsettle than I was expecting. Hope it settles by kick off.

Hope the new lads go well. Looking forward to it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,186 ✭✭✭techdiver

Unrelated but related question. Do the pubs in Ballsbridge etc still only open at 12? A lot of their Facebook pages seem to indicate so or is that just old information from covid times?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

• Registered Users Posts: 38,426 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Despite the great win I still would prefer Cooney and Doak as our scrum halves. I'm no fan of Ulster btw, it's not often I want to see them win a game but those two guys always look so impressive and much better than anybody from the other three provinces imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Why aren't you a fan of Ulster

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Decentish performance from Ireland. We raised our level for the first 20 of each half and Wales couldn't live with it at all. We won the collisions when carrying and contained the Welsh attack rather comfortably when we had to. Porter, Ringrose, Aki and Sexton were the standouts for me.

Our 10/12/13 axis targeted Adams at outside centre and he really struggled in defence. Think there were at least two occasions where he was so befuddled by our attacking patterns that he did full 360 degree spins as be didn't know what shoulder the next carrier would be hitting.

We weren't brilliant. We did what we had to do and the final twenty minutes were more about minding ourselves for next week. We'll need to raise our level for France away, but I think we can do it.

Cooney isn't a test level player. Is not, probably never was and at his age he certainly never will be. It's over.

As for Doak, early signs are very good but they're still early signs. I'd pick him ahead of Casey but wouldn't remotely think he deserves to be in the 23.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭NedsNotDead

Excellent win for The Team Of Us. The Grand Slam is Vodafone's. Sorry, I mean ours

• Registered Users Posts: 11,360 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

VDF did really well to catch that, we’ve all had that ball too far in front that we ended up juggling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Great angle

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CZms7u8jq36/?utm_medium=copy_link

I think as Irish people we tend to talk ourselves down, but Horgan and Kearney are making the point that our pack is the most skilled in world rugby right now. I agree with them. We know how athletic they are, but their passing ability and decision making sets them apart.

From 1-8 we have the players to act as link men and play passes out the back to runners. It sucks in so many defenders and causes mismatches and opens gaps in the opposition defence.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I said it during the game but that is not a good pass at all. Van Der Flier was at full stretch to try and catch that and many others would drop it.

Really don't get the love for it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Risk and reward. Players running onto the ball at pace into space.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭phily2002

Bonus point win is a great way to start. Weather was crap but we still managed to play decent rugby. A lot of big performances and defense was great. Pack was well on top and provided clean ball all match. Great debut for Hansen, got given a chance and took it. Aki and Ringrose caused havoc as well.

Thought bench didn't add a lot, not much impact against a beaten Welsh team. Sheehan was the busiest with 7 tackles and made decent meters in his carries. Baird and POM are down for not making a tackle, they didn't have much joy ball in hand either(POM did get a nice turnover though). Think Henderson will come in for Baird, might be worth looking at Coombes for impact but can't see them dropping POM.

Be ask to win in France but our defense is quality at the moment and can see us taking it

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Fair enough but if you get a pass that you need to stretch to gather and stunting that momentum you’ve built up then I don’t see how it can be called a good pass.

If VDF dropped that then it would be called a poorly executed pass. Him gathering it after stretching and juggling it doesn’t make it a good pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Thought we were good and played the conditions well. Spring day and I think we would have put 50 on them. Lots to improve on too and I think we will see a big improvement next week.

Porter is an animal of a man. I don't think he's fully adjusted to the change in position at scrum time yet but he's still holding his own. In the loose he's a freak.

That is a poor Welsh team. Granted they are missing a host of front liners but I think they were blessed last year too. I reckon Pivac is going to find himself in trouble soon. I'm not sure he gets to the world cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,803 ✭✭✭✭bilston

You say that like it's a bad thing to like Ulster??

Like you're almost making excuses for liking an Ulster player!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,426 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Advertisement