Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread: Mod Note - No 'Dublin Dominance' chat allowed!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,005 ✭✭✭✭JRant

The worrying thing about this performance is that Armagh gave us a hiding last week and there was zero response today from the team. Instead we get served another ass whooping.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭rolling boh

If Con goes to hurling it has to be something seriously amiss behind the scenes but will wait and see .We could see some different teams and grounds next year in the league the way things are looking

If he does leave then it's clear Dessie and his team are doing something seriously wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,782 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

If that happens who would be his likely replacements?

I assume Jim Gavin won't want to come back- and do a Heffernan.

Before Dessie Farrell was named new manager the bookies had Paul Clarke as favourite after him. Then Jayo was the next likely and another Jim - McGuinness was 14/1.

There would be some chat if Jim McGuinness got the Dublin job. The most experienced out of the above list anyway.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Haha. Some hammering. Strumms will probably blame the referee of course

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,427 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Strange mindset, might show how big the problem is with Dublin, why not drop it in and try score a goal. 1-15 / 1-11 is more respectable .

Exactly, even against the so called weaker counties they will have the confidence and Dublin won't. Battering's like that take their toll.

Let's be honest in this one the only thing that saved Dublin from a right walloping, is that Kerry pulled up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

The commentators loving Conor Lane. Are they for **** real? He's allowing the crowd to ref the match.

Dublin going nowhere fast. No new or young player is going to thrive in this environment and there are obvious signs that the senior players don't believe and are downing tools.

Kerry played well. Like Armagh last week their transition from defence to attack put us to shame.

O'Byrne Cup medals have gone to their heads....

Teams will now be looking forwards to playing Dublin. Because it still will say 'Dublin' in print and call it a scalp. I would rate this current Dublin team/panel as a middling div 2 team at worst and a top div 2 team at best. There will be a lot of delighted counties in the next few years dining out on beating 'The Dubs' as if they are the same great team.

• Advertisement

If Dessie can't get them to play with a bit of fire in their belly playing this lit then I fear for the rest of the year.

I still think Dublin have the players to be the best team in the land. You need the top two inches for that though and it's very obvious (withdrawals from the squad, the slackening effort, the rumours) Dublin heads aren't in the game. You'd hope the county board are aware of the issues and take steps to get back on track.

I really do not know at the moment very difficult task obviously best chance is somebody expierenced former favourite players are not the answer going straight in would need to cut their teeth before .Jimmy will not be the next man in will not be seriously considered .I will have to think about it for a while .

The Lane praise was bizarre alright. Feck it I just checked it is Mayo up next for the footballers on the 19th in Croke Park. Mayo could destroy Dublin in that wide pitch. I think that the DCB should seriously consider moving Dublin football games to Parnell to at least make things awkward for the opposition.

Looking at the fixtures, Dublin need two wins and they maybe survive in Div 1. You would say it should be 2 points v Kildare. But by then Kildare might be flying and Dublin could be on the floor mentally. Plus is it is Newbridge. Can write off the points in Omagh as far as I am concerned. Donegal then in Croke Park. I think Donegal will have too much for Dublin in that game. Then it is Monaghan in Clones.

It will not be a nice few months.

At the moment hard to pick a match i would be confident of winning next up Mayo another toughie .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

I wouldnt see it that way at all - a hurling all ireland would mean a lot more to him and to the county than another football all ireland. Not saying they will get there but.....

Also, his brother is on the hurling team.

If its was just Con I'd agree but we have players running away from the panel at a rate of knots.

The state of us. Our indiscipline is a disgrace at this stage really. Lads still thinking they can get away with these black card guaranteed third man tackles. Lahiff did it, McMahon did and Scully got the line, Basquel against Mayo last year. I’d be dropping them for costing us a man for 10 minutes. Amount of crazy yellows we pick up that could be blacks / reds.

The malaise is top down. Minor issue but this crap of naming a team at 2pm, suddenly there being 4 changes and another load of jersey swaps and bench swaps a few hours later. It’s amateur hour stuff and for me, shows there’s no one in charge.

Kildare and Meath will have a genuine chance against us in Leinster. I don’t see where we’ll get 18 points or so from to win games. To be out scores 1-14 to 0-04 in a half is diabolical. I don’t care about the conditions, you don’t get thumped by 13 points in 35 minutes. It’s crazy.

All I think of is the last time a high profile manager from outside Dublin was in contention for the Dublin football job (with no Dub club links was Mick O'Dwyer in 2004.

And the 70's former Dublin players went ape. And created a big fuss. Then Micko did a u-turn. It will be interesting to if McGuinness is mooted as Dublin manager what the reaction will be these days? I think you are correct, that former Dublin players inexperienced in management are not the answer. This is a big job of a rebuild and will need an experienced head IMO.

I was thinking Anthony Rainbow from Boden is surely in contention if a job becomes available. Even though he is a Kildare man.

Or maybe Brendan Hackett from Ballymun - the spine of this Dublin team is still Ballymun anyway.

There's nothing worse than playing in a team where you know everyone isn't pulling in the same direction. If he does does go (I really hope he does) I think it's a safe assumption to make that his motivation is to enjoy his playing. I'm sure he's aware Dublin would need a few lads from Limerick, Cork, Tipp, Kilkenny, maybe more, to emigrate to have a chance of winning an All Ireland.

• Advertisement

Will go tomorrow and see the hurlers only really keep an eye on them but does anyone seriously think we are in with a shout to make Con switch over it seems very far fetched .Time will tell but for him to switch would mean something very much amiss .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,864 ✭✭✭billyhead

• Registered Users Posts: 9,864 ✭✭✭billyhead

The Dublin hurlers won't win the AI. They like the rest are so far behind Limerick at present. Perhaps they will have a major scalp over one of the other pretenders.

I think Gilroy would be a great pick. Get a structure/ethos going for a year then hand it over to a young pretender.

I wouldn't be getting carried away with the hurlers just yet. Tipp, Waterford, Cork, Kilkenny are all a big step up and that's even before we get to Limerick.

Nah, Gilroy would be a backwards step plus his work just won't allow the time needed. He's a busy man these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

We all see through this Dublin plan. Go into the Abyss for 5 years and then GAA set up a special task force with 30M of funding over 10 years to "save" Dublin GAA.

Would agree Pat would do a good short term if he wanted and hopefully someone alongside to take over but who would that guy be that is the question at the moment .Certainly he is the level we would need .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Perhaps this thread should be renamed "Capital losses".

• Advertisement

Pity it is unlikely that Dublin go back a few generations before that -

https://stvincentsgaa.ie/examiner-mickey-whelan-huge-impact-dublin-gaa/

'The Americans have a saying: “If you want to run fast, you’ve got to run fast.” In other words, you can’t train to be a sprinter unless you sprint. You can’t train to be a footballer, unless you train to play football. We’ve produced athletes here in Dublin the last 20 years that will jump over the moon, but we’re not winning All-Irelands. We’ve been falling down in the skills of the game, whereas Kerry don’t. If they get 30-to-40% of the ball, they’ll get enough scores to win a game. It comes down to playing, making decisions on the ball under pressure, instead of running the sugar out of fellas. People are only buying into that now.’

Mickey Whelan, November 2007

--

Mickey Whelan is in his 80's now though so I assume that ship has long since sailed! I remember John O'Leary slated Whelan in his book. But O'Leary later apologised and realised he was wrong.

--

I don't know if there is an auld fella type experienced type 'figurehead' who keeps up on the modern methods of football in Dublin GAA circles, and who has the free time. But that is the type of manager I think this current Dublin panel needs. Someone that takes no messing and can implement a structure. Pete McGrath managed it with Fermanagh when most in the GAA world had him written off.

Advertisement