Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread: Mod Note - No 'Dublin Dominance' chat allowed!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

What's funny about this is that you're actually not joking!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,782 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I'm not taking the Mick. But if James Horan was not in the Mayo job - I wouldn't mind him taking the Dublin hotseat at some stage. That fella is a really good organiser, motivator, and planner. Seamus 'Banty' McEnaney from Monaghan would be another good organiser, motivator type manager. But again he is already in a job with the Breffni.

I don't think there is much point throwing in an untested manager if/when Farrell leaves. Because the whole Dublin set up now feels rudderless, I think a young inexperienced manager will get swamped and fold easy under the current conditions.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭Jizique

Sorry, a typical Dublin jackeen getting his county nicknames mixed up. I was close though! I think a bit Monaghan used be included in the Kingdom of Breffni back in the mists of time.

Anyway I still can't think of an experienced manager that would be suitable available for the Dublin job - if it is vacated.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Me getting carried away? I didn't make a case for Dublin being on the verge of an All Ireland win. The opposite actually.

• Advertisement

I will just have to learn how to say "I'm a hurling man meself" - with conviction when the 'big ball game' is mentioned in the next few years. 😎

• Registered Users Posts: 13,005 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Apologies if it came across like I wasn't suggesting you were getting carried away. I certainly didn't mean it that way at all.

And you're right, Con wouldn't be the difference in us winning an AI or not.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Gael85

Con is not going hurling. Hurt his ankle in a challenge game against Roscommon a few weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,005 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Mickey is still sharp as a tac and was brought in by Gilroy when he took over the hurlers 4 years ago. I've a lot of time for Mickey and he's a great student.

The players are there for us to be there or there abouts. The backroom team just can't get a tune out of them.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭jimdemp

I thought the ref was very hard on Dublin. The Kerry crowd will be disappointed they wanted blood in the second half and didnt get it. The kerry team still feared cutting loose against the Dubs which shows Mental weakness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,978 ✭✭✭Xander10

Dublin were awful. But I didn't get the impression I was looking at AI winners in Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭rolling boh

I would think at the rate we are going the Leinster might be touch and go Kildare if they have improved at all will have a chance and will not fear us .

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭mcgragger

Its Dessie Farrell style - win at all costs management where as Jim was a different man - he was all about discipline and being the best version of yourself you can be.

CLuxton stopped playing because of it.

With Dessie we are going nowhere

I don't think Kerry's defence are good enough unless they blitz teams. I think it is between Tyrone and Mayo. Better balance in both sides IMO.

It's been a traumatic day!

wrong thread!

deleted>

• Registered Users Posts: 9,864 ✭✭✭billyhead

What about Brian Mullins taking over?

Jayus yeah, there is a fella who takes no messing. Is an organiser and given his past jobs has his finger on the pulse of modern sport etc. Could be a figurehead type.

I how did I forget Mullins!?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Farrell deserves the year. We had an insane generation, we all said it, those outside talked money etc.

We are in transition, Farrell deserves time, and if he fails we should take time to select the right man

• Advertisement

Mullins is 67 at the moment as well. I assumed he was older than that for some reason. I think he would be the perfect fit.

I'd give him until after the championship and than review his position. If as it looks like we are going nowhere with him I would change the manager.

Dublin have won six of the last seven all Irelands. This was not sustainable.

Well be back. There will just be some pain on the way. Might do my kids some good to realise Dublin can lose all ireland games.

I don't think Farrell is working, but it's an amateur game which has that extra layer. I am skeptical but hope it works

Totally agree, and I don't feel good about it but he both deserves the time and we need the time needed to pick the right person if its not working.

I have been spoilt more in the last decade as a Dublin fan then I thought possible

I'd love to see him being successful because as we all know he was a fan favourite back in the day and comes across as a modest level headed chap in any interview. I met him once in person and he was a pleasant person to talk to. However it's all about success at the end of the day and with the talent we have on the team whatever about the extended panel we still should be challenging for All Ireland's. A lot of them players that have multiple AI medals don't become bad players overnight.

I would give him another year if I saw progress. I am not even talking about winning games. A pattern of play and structure. Before tonight I was thinking give him two years. But the problem with that is if the slide starts and it is not arrested it is very hard to get it back if things go too low.

A decent manager would at least mould a team/style pattern of play etc within a year. And people would see what he is trying to do. I remember when Gilroy took over initially for example. He tried out loads of players in the league. But he really drilled the players and made Dublin hard to beat first and foremost - especially after the 'startled earwigs' year.

I have still to see what Dessie Farrell is trying to do, and how he wants to set up this Dublin team. The really worrying bit for me is the players do not seem to be learning from mistakes. It is the same poor tacticall stuff - same things happening over and over. Shown in this year so far, and last year.

I discount the 2020 AI that might as well have been O'Byrne Cup as far as I am concerned.

Be interested to see if any of the retirees have anything to say about the panel. I see Philly is going to be writing a column for a paper soon enough; I’d imagine the paper involved would want him to speak about the current situation.

Usually things are a closed shop until someone’s releasing a book, but generally when there’s unhappiness around a panel, things start to leak out.

Does anyone know the reason Eric Lowndes left the panel. There was rumours himself and Dessie had a falling out.

To be fair I don't mean another year, I mean this year only. And yeah the sloppiness is a worry. One Kerry point in the first half was comical.

I think Dessie is trying to be too like Jim

• Advertisement

The only thing I can remember of anything close to trouble within squad harmony was Bernard Brogan when Gavin dropped him. Not even been on the bus for the 2019 final (first game) because Connolly was brought back in. So you're right if there is any row or ill feeling it always comes out.

Advertisement