Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What sides are your brakes on??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭secman

Spin on planet x today and lo and behold it's set up opposite to the Treks, right lever is front and left lever is rear brake. Never noticed it was opposite to the other bikes 😃

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

only ever ridden left front brake. If you have right front oldies your right operate front or rear derailleur too?

No gearing is universal the world over as far as I know. Left for front mech, right for rear.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

See that’s where I would get very confused if my brakes were reversed. It makes sense to have front brake and front derailleur on the same shifter otherwise I’d get confused over which was which

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,561 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i guess in theory it could vary between manufacturer, but definitely not geographically, as the shifters definitely are 'handed' - you couldn't put a left shifter on the right hand side of the bars. wel, you could probably try but it'd just be weird.

• Advertisement

Could you imagine the gymnastics involved if you put a right sti shifter on the left etc. so you had to shift out ways and not in 😂

With the old friction shifters I had on the bars of an old mtb you could swap over? Doubt many did though.

Actually watching the winter Olympics snowboarding here, I'm reminded of terms from my skateboarding days. Regular and Goofy.

Could you imagine a regular rider getting a goofy bike from neutral service at the tour before a mountain descent 😮

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,561 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

UK law specifies that new bikes must be sold (ie: leave the shop) with Right-Front/Left-Rear brake setup, but there is nothing to stop an owner changing it (or asking a bike shop to change it after purchase) to the other way.

The reason is that, in left-traffic (UK, Irl, Aus, etc), when you're out in the centre of the road, stopping to turn right, and signalling with your right hand, you want your other (left) hand on the rear brake (ever try pulling the front brake with only one hand on the bars?). Bikes sold in right-traffic countries (US, most of EU, etc) have their brakes set up the other way because the same issue applies when stopping to turn left.

BTW, before Brexit, Irish Trek dealers used to get stock from both the UK and the Netherlands, and the bikes for the UK had the UK-specific brake-setup and one single white spoke reflector per wheel, whereas the continental ones had Left-Front/Right-Rear brakes and two orange spoke reflectors per wheel. (Now you won't be able to look at a Trek without checking...)

If you look at old English-made bicycles with roller-lever brakes, they are made with the Right-Front/Left-Rear brake setup designed in, and many cannot be changed without re-making some parts in the reverse orientation.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Cube - Left/Front. I had never had a Left/Front before and it took about a week to realise that it was. Luckily I didn't have any hard breaking to do 😆

My last bike was a Right/Front (Giant)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Left/Front (For Rim brakes) gives, in my view a cleaner/straighter cable routing from the caliper to the lever. If connected to the Right Lever, there is a significant bend in the cable, which doesn't look right!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

All my bikes are rear on the left. Rose asked me which way I wanted it when I ordered it, so I went with what I knew. It's the only bike that I'd brake and change gear at the same time on, but that's because its got Di2. I bought a Giant MTB years ago from Germany and that was set up rear on the right so I got it changed straight away. Only ever had hire bikes abroad that where rear brake was on the right and I had to keep reminding myself about it during each ride..

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭seantobin43

My Trek domane is front left lever, can it be switched over easily?

It's not a front left lever, the cable for the front brake is going to the left lever you just need to move it to the right lever if that's you preference. Brakes can be swapped over gears usually can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭seantobin43

I have a mbt and it's left rear and right side front brake, I'm so used of the front brake on that side. Every bike I've ever riden before is always been that way. Every Motorbike in the world is right front brake.

Never had a motorbike...

I've only realised since reading this thread that 3 of my bikes , Treks are set up front /left and the 4th bike is front /right. I put it down to the fact that I tend to ease on both brakes to slow down. Anyways it seems it matters to some folk, so set it up to suit you.. wrongs and rights though ! What's normal to some is not normal to others..ride safe though.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Jonesy101

Got my road bike in Canada which is opposite. Mtb and other bikes from Ireland so the other way around. no issues switching between the two at all. wouldnt be interested in unwrapping bar tape switching changing legths of cables etc etc.

the only time i can remember being on a bike where the brakes were not set up the way i am used to, i noticed instantly. so i was surprised to read that people could take days or weeks to realise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭cletus

I have just acquired my first a la mode francais bike...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Re "so i was surprised to read that people could take days or weeks to realise."

I was surprised that so many people use their brakes in a way that finding out that they are "backwards" means they fear crashing.

as per someone else mentioning above - if you're indicating with one hand and pulling the brake with the other, i reckon it's useful information to know which brake you're pulling.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Indeed, but it's prudent, before, or very early on operating an unfamiliar bike/car/piece of machinery, to have an understanding of the workings, and not leaving that until indicating and braking in such a manner that it results in crashing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭MyDarkArts

My brakes are on the right side of history.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

My Lapierre is left front brakes and gears, right rear.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Bit like renting a car on the continent - you adjust/adapt to the different orientation very quickly and you get on your way. To someone not actively switching between the two orientations it might sound complicated or a recipe for disaster but actually at a subconscious level I reckon our brains silently parse the motor control messages quite effectively so that you never really notice it.

My daily rothars are set up in opposing fashion and I can't say I consciously think about it at all - not even a reminder to myself, 'today my front brake is on the left' - it just kicks in silently and unconsciously.

Taking an 'Irish' bike to the continent for a race or for holidays - you'd never actually change the orientation of your brakes, yet nobody gets into trouble do they?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

I think it is really user dependant for whatever reason.

I've bikes set up both ways and it doesn't cost me a thought, and I was always a bit sceptical of people saying how important it was until a friend said it to me about a new bike he had.

The man is a former national champion and even now has brilliant bike handling skills yet nearly got caught out by the reverse set up

Advertisement