Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trouble retrieving their jewellery etc from Irwins Jewellers Patrick Street Limerick

• 06-02-2022 1:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Did anyone have trouble retrieving their jewellery etc from Irwins Jewellers Patrick Street Limerick when the shop went in to liquidation? I could not get them to return a valuable piece.

Answers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,815 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

They are gone nearly ten years now

Slava Ukrainii

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,356 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

It usually takes more than that to actually wind down the company’s affairs.

It might do but all claims should be in by now.

Slava Ukrainii

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,356 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Legally the would not be in a position to do anything. Right to whoever was appointed liquidators and see what the situation is. Stuff could still be in storage, the court could have ordered it sold etc….

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,094 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Usually Ten years plus ? Are you sure about that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 NavySofa

I tried everything including the former owner who saidd the jewellery was sold off,prior to liquidation

They closed about 2014. I had been trying well before they closed. They said they couldn't find the piece. They said they would call me they never did no matter how many times I went there. I took in the receipt slip that I still have, that was issued to me when I took the piece there for repair. The quotation given at the time was substantial for the repair. I asked so many times to reveal to me where the piece was sold to no avail. I believe there are others who have similar issues. I am wondering if any one would know. I do know my piece was of value and an antique

If it was sold prior to liquidation then you have no hope of recovering it. By the way you post there was a disagreement over the cost of the repair and it was sold to cover that cost.

Slava Ukrainii

There was no disagreement regarding the cost of repair. The owner admitted that he sold it. I could not believe it. He sold it prior to liquidation. I believe there are others in a similar situation.

I related what happened to other reputable jewelers in Ireland, in Limerick but also in Dublin and Retail Jewellers of Ireland. They were appalled, they had items in their vaults for 50 years or more in the event that a family member wanted to retrieve a piece that was left in their shop.

Its incredible to put your trust in someone with a family piece and to have it sold without your knowledge even when you are trying in vain to have it returned.

I went to that shop many times asking for it. they said they could not find it and they would call me. The call never came.

It was sold prior to liquidation, that was the answer I received and that the name of the buyer would not be revealed.

I only want my piece returned to me and my family. It was scandalous behaviour. That piece was left there in a position of trust and with the understanding that I would have my jewellery returned whether repair was done or not.

I am writing this is to try to contact others in the same position. I do know they are out there. I would be glad if someone of them responded.

Report the theft to the Guards so. You're not going to get any resolution on boards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭3DataModem

You were told that it was sold. There is a process for challenging a liquidators decision (i.e. that it should have been returned to you, not sold). You should get a solicitor who knows this area to act for you. However, if the company records show that it was sold properly (e.g. it had been retained beyond their normal retention period) then you'll probably be out of luck.

Advertisement