Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,645 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

You do understand that most people use them properly though and that they are effective if used properly? Projecting your own habits onto others to draw a conclusion isn't correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,583 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭DLink

Well if people use them properly like you say they do, they didn't do very well over Christmas....

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Corby Trouser Press

The only proper way to wear a face mask is in a surgical theatre or dealing with hazardous material.

Wearing a face mast to prevent the transmission of the Omicron variant is a f*cking nonsense.

People just really want to feel like they can control this thing… it’s not controllable and we shouldn’t try to at this stage!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,645 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

They worked well for most of the pandemic (obviously not for yourself) but increasing case counts didn't really matter with omicron.

However they only reduce transmission, not eliminate, they help reduce R which is invaluable during a pandemic (amazing that they knew this 100 years ago yet there's still dumbasses around today who don't get it).

Good to see the anti-vaxx crowd are just still posting bullsh*t. Get over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Croohur1

When everyone was inside with their families over Christmas, unmasked you mean 🙄

Ah, the anti masker. The ultimate snowflake. It's all about feelings and beliefs and their own personal wants. Reason and fact tend to take a back seat. If you don't like masks thats grand. But trying to convince yourself and others that they don't work, when the overwhelming science on this says they do is.. Well you aren't going to realise what it is. Enjoy your weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

I wouldn't class myself as antimask as such, i put one on going into a hospitality setting last night and i think I was the only one by the looks i got, thankfully. I don't see that it was an effective measure for covid, out of respect for others i would still observe it, when it was introduced it made no noticeable difference, i also worry that going forward if it has worked for the common cold, flu etc these will become more serious illnesses, we all were used to catching them every year, our bodies built up immunity,going forward that has been lessened the last couple of years,with very little of it about, it probably means that people will be more ill going forward with these due to having less immunity, avoiding illness has it's own consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,375 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Where's this overwhelming evidence you are alluding to?

Reports the last few years have suggested while they are effective in healthcare settings, the benefits of wearing masks is minimal within the community.

Did you just call me a snowflake???

Wash your mouth out with soap...

But don't forget to do it in a socially distanced manner, and remember to remove your mask, can't risk having its magical protective properties compromised. We don't want to kill any grannies after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,795 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Covid really is a game changer for the term anti vaxer.

You can have 3 covid jabs and want masks gone and you are an anti vaxer.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭alexonhisown

Personally I think masks do work, but…. Only if used properly, and unfortunately from what I’ve seen, only about 60% of population wear them well. I work in retail so I’ve seen everything. Some wear them under nose, under chin, gaping at the side so much I can see their mouth. Others put them on without adjusting them or pulling them down below chin. Some probably wearing for weeks because they are so dirty and nearly threadbare. I have seen people pick them off the ground and put it on.

some people on here saying “oh I don’t bother wearing one in shops anymore and no one says anything”. We don’t say anything because we are sick and tired of saying it to people and most just say they are exempt. I get verbal abuse everyday from customers for not trying to get people to wear masks.

I wear a mask for about 7/8 hours a day, only take it off for a drink and food, is it so hard for people to just wear one for a few minutes going into a shop, even if it’s just so I won’t have to put up with abuse everyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,538 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I work in retail also for 8 hours a day and don't take it off unless I'm eating/drinking.

I find mask usage to ok at a push.

In my opinion you should clean your hands put on your masks before you leave your car and it should stay on until you get back into your car and it should be worn over your correctly.

However generally from observing people they are pulled out of car doors, pockets, left fall, put on at the last minute, not worn correctly, shared etc.

I found most people wearing masks to some shape or forum to be good.

However I'm not pushed if you don't wear one and we won't fall out about it providing your don't stand very close to other people trying to intimidate people.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Have you considered the possibility that you already have had Covid ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

I have had three jabs and want masks gone....its what the majority of people want. What a strange thing to say.

• Advertisement

I think masks should no longer be mandated anywhere except perhaps on public transport. IMO we have moved past that stage of this pandemic. I dont want to wear a mask, but I do believe they work based on the science I have read on their efficacy. The people who dont believe that masks work, DESPITE the science are those I would consider in the anti-masker, anti-vaxxer camp.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,860 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I'm triple vaccinated and can't stand masks and see little to no value in them (unless talking about "proper" medical grade ones) - certainly not the cheap or designer ones the overwhelming majority are (badly!) using

Square that circle! It might be nice to just throw out catchy Twitter labels (I wish that stupid site had never been created tbh!) but in the real world it means nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I worked in retail for periods during the last 2 years. It was torture having the mask on for 8 hours and most of the lunch break. Plus another couple of hours commuting on the bus. 10-11 hours a day, 5 days a week wearing a mask. I look forward to their downfall.

Also, people have been giving out about folks not wearing their masks correctly over the last couple of years. Has it not occured that they don't actually want to wear masks and just do it because it's mandated?

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭anplaya27

Believe me you I've probably had it harder than most of the country re the mask mandate whether in professional or personal life regarding this as I'm profoundly deaf ( ISL user). But sure it's just another obstacle to overcome. I completely understand the necessity for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭deholleboom

That discussion about masks is getting tedious as masks are soon going to be redundant. Less and less people wearing them so a natural process of eventual illimination.

More importantly are the restrictions imposed by countries on an EU level in the form of DCCs with a mandatory booster. I wonder how long they are going to stay given Omicron. And if you will still be able to fly unboostered with a test when we get to summer. Will the DCC be abolished or pauzed?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

What this thread needs is a new variant of concern

I keep refreshing the page and there's hardly any new posts

It has gone noticeably quieter alright and the discussion shifted to masks as it's the most visible remaining restriction still impacting everyone.

Has the legal requirement been updated, or is it still to lapse next week does anyone know?

Personally I think it's great that this thread has gone quieter as attention moves (per the Indo this morning) to far more important matters like the spiraling cost of living and the ridiculous Golfgate decision (another "do as we say, not as we do" scenario - but interesting to contrast to the UK where Boris is just barely hanging on and lots of others have already resigned).

If we can get rid of the mandatory mask requirement (which are largely ineffective anyway as we've seen despite almost 100% compliance) then we can finally say that Covid is (hopefully) largely behind us.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭ShadowTech

It seems like everyone on these threads keeps saying that fewer and fewer people are wearing masks but I don’t see that at all. I’m in town in Dublin a few times a week and it’s the same as before. People are still walking into restaurants and pubs with them and there is almost no one walking around without one in a shop. At least a quarter of everyone on the likes of Grafton Street is wearing one outside! I even got told to put one on when I was waiting in the queue in a coffee shop which, as I understand it, is no longer a requirement in hospitality settings.

I really hope masks go soon but in my experience the narrative that compliance is waning is not accurate.

I'd agree with this. It's still almost universal in shops and I think the confusion around things like "is a coffee shop retail or hospitality" has people erring on the side of caution, or maybe it's just become institutionalised.

When the legal requirement drops, I really hope we'll get back to real normality quickly but there will certainly be a noticeable percentage who'll keep wearing them (which is fine BTW)

• Advertisement

I know lots of people who were upset at the rules being eased as fast as they were, but King Tony and the other clowns have instilled so much fear that people are afraid to let go.

Unless self isolation restrictions are lifted at the same time that masks are done away with, I can see workplaces continuing to enforce masks & social distancing to minimise absenteeism, especially as it's so hard to find staff when you're paying minimum wage.

I can also see shops trying to enforce masks in other to placate the covid worriers and maximise business, I guess they know we all still have a mask in our pocket, or are used to wearing them after so long, so what's the harm in making us wear one for a coffee?

The fear, panic and irrational behaviour is too deep set to be done away with quickly, especially with regards to mask wearing and the magical protection they offer.

Post edited by DLink on

Advertisement