Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread: Mod Note - No 'Dublin Dominance' chat allowed!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,005 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Never mind the players not learning. The management team haven't learned a bloody thing. Similar to the Armagh game, at the start of the second half we went with humping long ball into the forward. Looking at who we had in there it was a mental decision but clearly a tactic they were told to use.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

Think the story was he was off to Dubai to teach? Not sure if he went or not. He stepped away mid season didn’t he?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,976 ✭✭✭Xander10

That's like comparing a rottweiler to a kitten.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭rolling boh

I have no doubt Dessie will last the year and most likely step aside .We have had a poor run of performances stretching back to the start of last year's Leinster and the downward trend is continuing. Dessie and his team appear to have learnt nothing and no sign of him doing so far this year .Let him see out the year but that's it .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭MFPM

I see Brolly being at his attention seeking best in the Indo...

'The greatest team in the game's history have suddenly become the whipping boys of division 1'

I think every one here accepts Dublin have a lot of issues with generally low expectations for the year ahead but to dismiss them so comprehensively after two games, one against a first choice Kerry team at home is just nonsense. In terms of the league if Dublin get a couple of first choice players back they should be able to win two games and stay in division 1 but there are no guarantees of course.

My main issue with his take is that the Dublin team that took to the field last night and last week bears very little relation to the teams that won All Irelands...in effect it's a different team with alot of new inexperienced players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,782 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I try and stay clear of Brolly's stuff as he normally changes like the wind. Blows smoke up the teams that are doing well. It was Donegal then it was Dublin. Then he slates the team that falls off their perch and jumps on the next best team. As if he knew it all along! Laughing while he does it - easy money.

But you are spot on. The narrative Brolly and the likes create will suddenly become fact. I think there is only 6 players left from the 2021 AI Semi Final. And in the last 2 years Dublin have lost 18 players in the last 2 years.

There will be no nuanced discussion as usual from the likes of Brolly it is just all about the headline.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

The obvious comparison is Kilkenny.

Won 4 in row. Lost 2010. Came back win 4 of the next 5. Win 2015 with just 1 of the players that started the 2008 final where they were at their peak.

What did KK have that Dublin dont have - hard to say, but I would say principally that new players coming through in 2010-15 were coming into a system structure and ethos that had been in place for more than a decade, and backed fully by the senior players.

If Dublin get beaten in Leinster this year, I think it could bring on a bigger malaise. The bigger the drop, the harder it is to get back. Look at Meath football. Or Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,864 ✭✭✭billyhead

McCaffrey and Mannion would make a big difference to the team. If we had those 2 and the likes of Con, McCarthy, Fitzsimons, Costello back in the side we would be a serious outfit again.

To be fair the lads coming into the KK team were closer to the guys that left than the current situation with us where there seems to be a much bigger gulf . As for good old Joe he loves running with the hounds then hunting with the fox he is not a serious pundit let him at it pay no heed whatever he writes or says .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭MFPM

I think the comparisons with Kilkenny and Kerry after 82 are fair enough to discuss and compare to this Dublin team, a key difference though is that O'Dwyer and Cody stayed on to manage the transition, Gavin left...I think what's going on with Dublin is more akin to Man U post 2013, Ferguson squeezed that last title out of a average enough team and then handed them over to Moyes who cleared out all the coaching staff and obviously big players left. F I think Farrel should have kept Sherlock if willing to stay...Clarke's role was changed and he left

• Advertisement

Dublin hurling team -

Waterford Hurling Team -

Not sure about a black card for tackle. Similar tackle in the Limerick game earlier and it wasn't even a booking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Gael85

No 8 of Waterford kneed Sutcliffe in the head when he was on the ground and somehow gets away with it completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

But tis only the dirty dubs that do things like that. He should have seen red a few times, not a good advert for Waterford hurling.

Think that hurling match was a fair result overall. Nice to see a bit of needle in a game as well.

Was a cracking game and a real battle from the off. Disappointing to concede that last second free but the lads didn't take a backwards step all day.

Enjoyed the game overall though we had a chance at the end but didn't go for it and lost the opportunity but fair result in the end on a cold enough afternoon .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Disappointed not to win that. We wasted too much ball when we had the wind in the first half, lots of wides and lots of aimless ball fired at the forwards.

Still, we conceded two disappointing goals, played with a numerical disadvantage for 20+ minutes and more than held our own in the contest.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 LISAMC38

Totally agree ... plus I thought his comment about "Dessie Farrell best not go for a stroll along the canal for a week or two" was in poor taste.

• Advertisement

The first sin bin hurt us a lot. Thought it was a little on the harsh side but sure it is what it is. Thought we dealt with the second sin bin really well and playing into that wind the lads dug deep and almost got it done.

I love the determination in that hurling panel. They keep going don’t lie down. A man down for crucial times in the game. Still kept at it. Heads didn’t drop. Great signs for the future.

What really impressed me was the ruck work today and the skill levels in general. Lads were coming out of big rucks with the ball and using well for the most part. Something we've not be great at over the past while.

Can't undersell how difficult conditions were today either. That was a blustery game blowing and it was absolutely freezing cold as well. Hope the lads hit the ground running once the harder ground arrives in late spring.

Fecking freezing it was - and the ref messing around stopping the game for ages at one stage.

I nearly lost the will to live when he took about 5 minutes to book the 4 lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,656 ✭✭✭Floppybits

And missed the knee to the head from the Waterford number 8.

You'd hope someone in HQ is going tomreview that incident and hit him with a lengthy ban. Hurling is a tough enough game without lads at that type of behaviour. I won't hold my breath on them taking action though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,656 ✭✭✭Floppybits

I doubt it will be reviewed unless there is a process for doing so in the GAA. We all know how they love their processes. There wasn't much made of it at the time it happened during the match maybe if there was more made of it it would have gotten more attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

• Advertisement

Just watching bits on the BBC iplayer (using a free VPN) - Dublin made hard work of it. FT Dublin 2-19 - Antrim 2-15.

Half time Antrim were 3 ahead - 1-08 - 0-8

Two soft pens for both sides - Dublin penalty was well taken by Donal Burke. Incidentally - Nolan should have saved the Antrim penalty he got a hurl to it.

Second Dublin goal was a bit of Trollier magic (shortly after Antrim scored their pen) - was walloped in by Chris Crummy after troiller played it across after a run.Ist Antrim goal was good one for Antrim and Neil McManus.

I suppose the two points is the most important thing. But it wasn't convincing. Antrim stuck at it awkward type of team.

Advertisement