Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yet another young woman attacked by a male. When will it end?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,951 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Not sure what you mean? This attitude has come up more than today. You are constantly trying to downplay it?

This thread is a rinse and repeat of the other threads. Same people, same arguments. Same old...bitter comments. Even on the Late Late Show thread, a woman speaking out about violence was labelled a lesbian. So there's enough of that attitude to put people off posting. They are a minority but should be called out.

As an example, one other goon on one of the threads viciously attacked a Polish Lady with the EXACT same attitude and was subsequently burned to a crisp by the Lady.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,581 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I already give a sh1tload of tax to the state, your idea sounds like something a ball breaking rad fem would come out with.

Why are you directing this at me?

Would you like to go back and actually read my posts, or would you prefer if I just quoted them at you? Because I specifically stated that I did NOT expect any man to put themselves in danger on behalf of anyone else. Post no #310. Go look it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,120 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Where exactly do you specifically state men shouldn't intervene?

Referring to men turning a blind eye and not calling out other men for laddish behaviour? Your post implies that you do expect men to admonish others for their behaviour.

And no, there's no need to quote your posts for me, I can understand things on my first reading.

• Advertisement

I drew the line when it was said that women need to be aware of how what they choose to wear impacts on men and the attention that it invites.

I felt like I'd been thrown right back to 1988 when "The Accused" was released.

The post I quoted is the one I replied to.

You obviously are unaware that post numbers don't show on mobile, but my response is relevant to the post I quoted. I don't quote one post and then reply to another one.

• Advertisement

Fine, let me quote it for you then.

Specifically...

I don't think anyone is expecting men to throw themselves into life threatening situations against complete strangers in defence of some unknown woman, (I know I don't). Nor would I personally expect a man to cross the street to avoid me, or any woman.

I also said:

But there are small things they can do. For example, if you're out with your mates and one of them starts getting handsy with a girl or whistles at one, have a quiet word and tell them it's not okay.

And quite frankly, if that's too much to expect and men feel they can't have these kind of conversations with other men who are supposed to be their friends, then their friendships must be pretty superficial to begin with.

I would have no problem whatsoever pulling up anyone who was in my company who was being an asshole, and have done, and would do it again. Maybe I just have more balls than most.

That isn't the post I quoted though, is it?

In the post I quoted you said men turn a blind eye instead of calling out laddish behaviour. I hope that clears things up for you because I've explained numerous times now.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Freddie Mcinerney

it’s clear what you are saying and most people would do that anyway naturally.

That's not what I said.

I said there is a difference between "not seeing something" and "turning a blind eye".

And yeah, I do think some men turn a blind eye, because they don't want to have those awkward conversations with their friends. Kinda cowardly, in my view, but whatever.

Next time, try reading my posts properly first - or at least not in isolation - and you might not be so confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Your calling men cowards, based off of something you don't know is true, but think is true because it suits you to think it's true.Your whole positions is based on what you think, not what you know, and you want men to act based on what you think, yet you've know idea if it's even true? This is madness of the worst kind, and if the tables were turned, I'm sure you'd be screaming misogyny for making assumptions about the female sex.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭helto

I'm a man and what Loueze said is true. We should be saying more when we hear inappropriate comments and call out disgusting behaviour against women. We're scared of being slagged over it but if more men started to call it out, it would become normalised. You may say how will this stop some men from raping etc but isn't it worth a go? Even if it means one woman is saved from attack, then it would be worthwhile. Slowly it might change the toxic behaviour of some men.

I think laughing at people who will get involved when they see something bad/wrong happening is terrible. There are few enough people willing to do anything these days, laughing at those that do isn't going to help things.

Bit harsh

• Registered Users Posts: 21,053 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

It will not have any affect. The guys insulting women in a private capacity more than likely won’t attack anyone

Sorry Bubbypop.....I see I've taken your post up completely wrong. Yep you are right.

I was talking about helto's post. What I took from that is more to do with influencing your own circle, if you are out with a crowd of lads passing lewd comments etc, tell them to leave it out, or stay away from the toxic whatss app groups. This could result in slagging by the others, "its only a joke", "banter" etc. which may make some men feel awkward themselves and left out. Maybe I'm wrong.

Post edited by anewme on

• Advertisement

That's not true. I have an example of something that happened in school that I seriously regret not calling out.

It was 5th or 6th year. There was some conversation about girls and someone said he doesn't think some girl would be interested in him. Another guy jumped in and said something like: "why would you ask if she's interested, just rape her". A few people laughed and at the time I didn't read too much into it. The guy that made the comment raped and tortured a woman about 5 years later.

Now, I don't know if calling out his comment would have made a difference for sure but it's one of the biggest regrets I have in my life. I wish I could go back in time to change my reaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭AyeGer

Helto calling him out would have been the right thing to do in that circumstance but I don’t think it would have changed a thing about him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭jackboy

That story is more about your guilt than evidence speaking up would have prevented a rape years later. Yes, you should have spoke up, everyone should. That may have stopped the rapist making such comments in public but I think it is a stretch to think that a comment would turn an evil person good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,781 ✭✭✭zv2

It keeps falling back on men. Why don't women do something instead of this perpetual guilt trip they are trying to put on men? Why don't you call out the more extreme aspects of feminism with their nonsense about man tax and how it is ok to hate men etc? Man tax is not about tax it is about making it look like all men are guilty. Why on earth would men help people who have clearly declared war on them? Not All women, but how can we tell which is which? Maybe if some of you called out this nonsense we could tell the difference and then do something. At any rate, there's not much to do. Far too much is being made about this calling out business. How many men would I have called out in the past 10 years? None. I heard nothing being said. They are creating yet another false narrative; the way they are talking you'd think there are thousands of men running women down all the time; taking whole days off work so the can talk about women; having open air conventions and competitions to see who can be most insulting - no, it scarcely happens at all.

As for G. Thunberg, I was being a tad sarcastic about our ability to solve these problems and the false narrative that is being put to us: We have to fix global warming and then move on to 2050 and beyond. I was being sarcastic about our ability to fix these things. Global warming is not going to be fixed in time. I can't be. And global warming is only one of many serious problems the world faces. We have to fix all of them at the same time. This is not going to happen.

Post edited by zv2 on

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

Ignoring the post I quoted, using another post to ignore the content of my reply and implying I have comprehension difficulties isn't the way to a respectful reply.

I was responding to a comment saying that the men saying something in a private setting likely won't attack anyone. It's not true. The men who rape and assault are not all some freaks, lonely outcasts or were born into a scumbag family. Many rapists are men who you would consider to be normal or regular guys.

If we all started calling out the sick comments we hear it might change things. And we all hear it. We have all been apart of sports teams, WhatsApp groups, groups of friends etc where some extreme anti women stuff has been said. It's extremely regular. That is the norm. If we change that, make it abnormal to be hearing those comments, it might make a difference. It definitely is worth a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,781 ✭✭✭zv2

Ash.J.Williams "It will not have any affect. The guys insulting women in a private capacity more than likely won’t attack anyone"

It has been noted that psychos tend to be charming people, not people who would draw attention to themselves with 'comments'.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Many rapists are men who you would consider to be normal or regular guys

Absolutely ridiculous, and possibly the most absurd thing said on this thread. The double standards on this site are beyond insane. I've read a lot about deviant psychology, especially serial killers, and a tiny percentage of them appear normal. Even those who appear normal, are obviously far from it. The one person I know who raped someone, was a career criminal, from a family of career criminals. People like you want women to be terrified, to think that John next door with a 9-5 and large family has just as much of a chance of raping someone as a scumbag whose known to be a scumbag. You don't care about the truth, you care about making women scared for their lives at all times, and that's nothing but wicked.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭jackboy

There are different types of men who attack and kill women. One common type is the charmer who is polite and respectful to women in public. Women like these types and feel comfortable around them. Almost impossible to deal with this type.

There are other less intelligent less charming types, many who are well known as a danger in the community. Many of these have multiple convictions but are allowed to walk the streets anyway. That is a justice system issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,053 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement