Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Jaysus that's a bit harsh on Comerford. We had Clarke the year we won the league, he played in Goals as many times as Robbie if not more that year.

Personally from what I've seen from Byrne and Reape, neither are close to taking Hennelly's spot as first choice keeper because neither are at his level.

I can see a lot of people still have hang ups about Robbie, but until someone better is available, I don't see why we should be giving someone a run out when we still have to secure Div 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭eastie17

Its illogical to think a lad can get to inter county standard without games. How are they expected to get to that level sitting watching the match? Granted if they are clean useless then you dont play them, but then they shouldnt be there

Absolutely. If they're not good enough, don't play them, but if they are the best you have available for subs, what other option do you have. I just wonder how much of peoples concerns about blooding a new keeper is down to genuine hope for the experience of a another keeper rather than hang ups they have about the existing number 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭muddle84

I think its a bit of both. If we had beaten Tyrone that would be that, Hennelly forever more, but alot of the reason people(myself included) want to see another keeper developed is because Hennelly has yet to prove himself to be as reliable as Clarke.

But for now to your point he must be the best we have!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

You haven’t answered what happens if Hennelly gets injured during the league? We’re absolutely f**ked.

I personally don’t think Hennelly is good enough, I think he panics in big games but that’s not why I’m suggesting this. If he was the best keeper ever we need to be blooding a replacement. He’s inter county for 10 years now, we know what he delivers. It’s not like we’re asking for walk-ons here, the two lads have multiple county titles.

i don’t think Reape is ready yet for the Mayo jersey but he could be with experience. He won’t get that from where he is currently.

If you don’t like Reape or Byrne then Jennings is meant to be having a storming season for Sligo IT

If Hennelly gets injured during the league that will make many folks who have the hang ups very pleased and then Byrne or Reape or Jennings will get their chance. I'd hope that they would acquit themselves well, but if they didn't, I'd also hope they didn't have to put up with the absolute sh*t that's been thrown at Robbie.

Its not that I don't like Reape or Byrne or Jennings. I've nothing whatsoever against them. They may have county medals but they play for different teams who all have different attributes. From what I've seen of Byrne, his kickouts are poor enough and that's been demonstrated most recently when he got his chance in the FBD game against Galway. Reape has a better kickout than Byrne but is prone to error. I do think he's better placed to be ahead of Byrne, personally, but neither are in my view, near enough to Hennelly. It's an opinion - one I know that some won't share because of their hang ups with Hennelly. I get it. And for the record, I've nothing to do with Breaffy and I can probably count on the fingers of one hand the number of times I've set foot in the environs of Breaffy. Just getting that in there before that gets levelled at me.

Look if we secure division one status early Horan can throw on the under 12s for all I care - my view is that the time to experiment is when you are certain of Division 1. You can have challenge games all year round for that as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭MacDanger

"If Hennelly gets injured during the league that will make many folks who have the hang ups very pleased"

That's a bizzare take tbh.

Anyway, moving on. It'd be nice to see a few scores from the HF line, Walsh needs to start showing a bit of composure in front of goal, I'd say a few scores would give him no end of confidence. DOC & McDonagh could do with getting back to where they were 4 years ago, they used to be good for a couple of scores a game.

I'd have liked to see McHugh getting another game at 6, I don't think Plunkett is the man for that position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Last week I correctly predicted a draw vs Donegal. This week I am predicting an away win in Monaghan. How do I know these things?? Well let’s just say a certain octopus named Paul told me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Jack Livingston from Breaffy will be no. 2 for the no. 1 spot. That's it settled, move on lads 🤣

But on a serious note. Byrne and Reape probably aren't going to be good enough at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

Don't want to over egg the Dublin problems as it's early days yet and I know we all have our questions about Horan, but it seems like Dublin are currently struggling to manage the transition period after a number of retirements, and it puts into perspective how good a job Horan has done on that with Mayo. We all will still have our criticisms of him but a rebuilding job is something he has always had a knack for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Barlett

That's true, the tactics can drive you mad at times, but he is without doubt one of the best at developing players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Very true

Horan has done two massive rebuilding jobs with Mayo.

If you think of the state of the place after Longford and again the questions about the future after the Newbridge game Horan addressed both.

Sometimes the easiest thing to do is to keep going, especially when there's a goal there that everyone's driving for.

I don't know if Horan has done any great rebuilding tbh, very good players have left and we've been very lucky that they've been replaced by a very good bunch.

I don't want to be overly negative but Horan has only really "rebuilt" out of necessity for the most part.

You only have to look back a few posts to see that nothing has really been done re a keeper. And that probably won't happen until it's forced upon us.

When you've players like Oisin, Mattie, Tommy, Ryan etc coming through it helps... he mightn't be as good at rebuilding if he didn't have that quality.

Dublin don't have the same quality coming through compared to what they had. And that's understandable because what they had was one of the best teams ever.

But yes, it's great to see 🤣

I'm sorry, that's just bollix.

Horan only has had to rebuild out of necessity ?

Every manager has to rebuild out of necessity.

John O Mahoney had to rebuild in 2007 and look at where we ended up.

Countless managers up and down the country have had to rebuild and failed.

If in June 2010 someone said Mayo would go on to contest 10 semi finals and 6 finals in the next 11 seasons they would be in St Mary's before Horan would be appointed in October.

The young guys now are the fruits of Horan's first rebuild, they were young teens back then, they saw what it was like to be competitive year after year and they wanted to be that too, that's what drove them.

Sure there are questions about Horan's game day performance, but you can't take away the legacy he will leave Mayo football with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Is this match on TV or gaa go or anything. Anyway to watch it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

This is very true about Horan and he can be ruthless with players, see what he did to Mortimer. He set the standard and stopped all the BS. The Mortimer situation was perfect for Horan when he came in, as he really was a sitting duck and Horan made an example of him for all players to witness. This is core to development ... not only young players but existing established players.

His match day tactics can be questioned/his perseverance with certain player but the question marks must also be directed at the players as well. He is under big pressure this year anyway and I think he will be gone come the end of the season unless he delivers the big one.

It's not bollix to me. If the players are there, then rebuilding is easy. It's also much easier to rebuild a team that is competitive.

What I do think we've done exceptionally well is prepare younger lads for intercounty football in terms of S&C. If Horan is behind that then he deserves hugh credit. But I'm not sure he was the driving force, I think it was Rochford who started the extended development panel but open to correction on that.

Who are the young guys we're seeing today? Conor O'Shea and Bryan Walsh? I think most the County knows they're probably just short of the level required.

We thought we would have a forward line littered with bright young Covies a few years ago, considering the obvious connection there with Horan, I don't think that can be classed as a good development of talent.

Horan is very good at PR though, not many manager's get their bad "game day performance" brushed aside in favour of player development.

The closest we got to an All Ireland during the Horan era, was under Stephen Rochford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

Cursed

Two serious knee injuries in a week now. Serious problem in the GAA with these injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

You'd wonder who's next. Losing McLaughlin for the season would be another big blow.

• Advertisement

He's definitely gone, I'd say. Ref blew it up straight away and he was stretchered off in the end. Don't see how it could be anything other than the obvious knee injury.

Jesus you'd feel bad for Kilmeena but to get turned over like that in injury was criminal. Big ask for them now in extra time.

They've been the better team but were probably a bit too defensive overall. They were just inviting the opposition onto them there at the end. A very scrappy game that they never really took by the scruff of the neck even though they could have and should have. Hope they can kick on and seal it now.

Kilmeena will be kicking themselves if they leave this behind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,108 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

The half back line lost the plot for a while there.

Brilliant stuff, well done Kilmeena

Huge credit to Kilmeena. Dominated extra time and were able to get the scores when it mattered. Better team won.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,108 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Well done Kilmeena.

Fair play to them. Regained composure in extra time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Unbelievable win . I thought Gneeveguilla would win as coming from Kerry and the history Kerry have of winning in this competition but they certainly met their match today. I went to all their games in Munster and they beat everyone there very well. It goes to show nothing is guaranteed in sport. Well done Kilmeena. Enjoy the celebrations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

Ankle is the rumor doing the round so lets hope it is not serious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭spakman

it's not a rumour - Horan said on radio 1 that it's his ankle and he has to go for a scan to see is it a sprain or something more serious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭HBC08

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Vish81

Big win at Clones,

That win will go a long way towards survival in Div. 1

Beat the Dubs in Croke Park, a comfortable mid-table finish is on the cards , allowing for some experimenting/resting of key players towards the tail-end of the competition.

Interesting Stat for Connact teams results at the weekend:

It's also much easier to rebuild a team that is competitive.

Mayo were hardly competitive in 2010 now were they

In the previous regime they had lost to Derry, Meath, Sligo and Longford since 2007.

And post Newbridge in 2018 there were a lot of questions about how to refresh the team that had done so well to that point.

They won't beat Dublin, they never do, not since the rescheduled fog game in 2012 have they even been competitive v Dublin in the league.

It will be Dublin's wake up game.

Take noting from yesterday tough, hat was an fine away win, just what you need early in the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Vish81

This Dublin team isn't the team that youre referring too.

Mayo by 2+

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭muddle84

I don't know what to expect for the dublin game to be honest. missing Conroy and McLaughlin is a huge loss for that game. Hopefully Mullin is back for it! That aside i think all bets are off because we actually managed to beat them in the semi final and something isn't clicking for Dublin yet! Really looking forward to it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 Mayodad

Have to ask as it is now Wednesday.

Any word on Eoghan Mc?

The silence is worrying.

I'd take the silence as a good thing. They weren't long confirming TC did his cruciate :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Doesn't make sense. By that reckoning if a team wins an All-Ireland, it's put down to luck for the manager, because he had good players there in the first place. But for managers on teams that don't do the business over a long period of time, they take the flack because they haven't rebuilt properly.

A large number of the Mayo squad retired over a year ago. It's not a secret that the vast majority of people were certain that it brought the curtain down on what was a beautiful decade for Mayo GAA. What did the manager do? Around 10 months later they were in another All-Ireland final. For me, it is one of the finest team building achievements that I have ever witnessed. Lost Tommy Conroy over a week ago. McLaughlin last weekend, and still come away with a win up in Monaghan due to the depth of the squad. And that's after 5 or 6 members of the team retired less than a year ago. You cannot just write that off as fortunate. Surely, you have to give Horan some credit for building that team back up.

I think you also mentioned about the keeper situation. Maybe I am in the minority, but I would have Robbie Hennelly up there with the best keepers in Ireland right now. He was known for having a couple of wobbley moments, but I think he has turned that on his head. He is not perfect, but he is keeping Mayo in many games from what I see. Since he was man of the match in that league final against Kerry couple of years ago, he he gradually clawed his way back up there - very decent kick-outs, penalty saves, close range saves. How many did he save against Donegal. That equalising point against Dublin last year. Equalising point against Donegal last Sunday week. To me, he seems like a man whose confidence is soaring. Problem is that one bad game again, and the naysayers will be out in force that he is a weak link. Whereas the likes of Rory Beggan and Niall Morgan can have off days and will get away with it, as they are perceived to be "strong" keepers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

I’d agree with you that Hennelly is one of the best keepers there is, solid shot stopper, excellent kick outs, some clutch scores. His kryptonite is poor decision making when the pressure is really high. His record of mistakes in finals is awful. So he can be the best keeper in Ireland for 364 days of the year but he has consistently made at least one big mistake in almost every final he’s played in starting with that minor replay. Even club has been the same.

I’d love to see him get through a final without being the talking point after because he seems like a really nice lad.

The initial point is being overlooked, we need a viable backup, probably Jennings IMO, who gets game time in the league and is capable of stepping up if Rob got injured but more likely will be our captain for 2025 or 2026

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Barlett

I’ve heard from a reliable source that McLaughlin’s injury isn’t a bad one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭blowitupref

He's watching his college side in action tonight while wearing a protective boot.

Paul Towey showing well off the bench, any reason why James Horan hasn't given him more game time?

Edit** i now understand he started, was late to watch the live stream as i was watching extra time in the other semi final and presumed when wearing number 32 he was brought on.

Post edited by blowitupref on

• Advertisement

Well if he's not making his college team....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Plenty of top quality players wasn't starters for their college teams. For example ten years ago the subs DCU brought on to win the final was David Kelly Sligo and Michael Murphy Donegal.

and people think we have problems with our keeper….

https://twitter.com/darranmarshall/status/1492567680754278404?s=21

Delighted for Mickey Moran today on the win with Kilcoo. Treated abysmally by the Mayo county board, but a true gent, one of the games great managers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭MacDanger

• Advertisement
Advertisement