Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭ujjjjjjjjj

Henshaw if fully fit will and should start. Aki is a very good player but Henshaw a level above. No debate in my eyes but great problem to have !! Ringrose is a Rolls Royce of a rugby player and even better with Henshaw inside him and they work so well together.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Jaysus I wouldn't like to be the person telling Aki he wasn't starting.

I don't really care which 2 of the 3 start. They're all class.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,999 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

I think if Henshaw had been fit a week ago he'd have started yesterday, but now to bring him back in you have to disrupt a team that's playing well and a centre partnership that is humming nicely.

I'd leave as is for France and revisit for round 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Agreed. An English friend of mine was saying how he doesn’t rate Aki as he felt he was a second rate Tuilagi. Seems a lazy comparison to me as they’re completely different players. Whilst Aki is very physical he’s a lot more evasive with his running and has worked on his passing game. Tuilagi is a great man to crash it up but doesn’t quite have the other aspects to his game IMO. Aki’s left to right pass for Ringrose’s try looked easy on tv but I’m sure anyone whose played the game knows that’s not an easy skill to perform whilst running! Henshaw might have to wait until Italy to put his hand up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭TomsOnTheRoof

Aki has been very very good recently. His range of passing is far superior to what it was. It would be incredibly harsh to drop him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,947 ✭✭✭TRC10

Disagree with both points.

While Henshaw may be the better rugby player, I strongly believe Aki plays the 12 role for us most effectively. If he's fit and on form, I'd have him at 12 every time. Every big win we've had since 2017 has been when Aki is playing. He does everything you'd want from your 12. Henshaw I feel is much better in the wider channels.

13 is between Henshaw and Ringrose for me. Ringrose is in top form right now so I see no reason to change the centres for France.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Aki is like a flanker too! Crushes rucks! He's brilliant right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Looking back at the game, I reckon we left about 2-3 other chances to score go by not including Sexton's missed kicks. Quite frustrating and we'll have to be more ruthless next week against France - it was fine to give up those scores against a poor Wales putting in a workmanlike performance, but I think we'll need to keep the scoreboard ticking over a bit better against the French.

Probably accurate enough - I suspect if anyone is going to miss out it could be Hume.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Aki played first receiver a tonne on Saturday and the possession wasn't going to him to crash the ball up. He's intelligent in how he uses it and his subtlety is really underrated. Sexton is having a field day drifting out the back as second and third receiver. Aki plays an important role in that. As much as I like Henshaw I don't think he'd do the job as well.

Farrell won't be dropping anytime soon. Henshaw will have to fight for Ringrose's place in my book.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭CowboyTed

I agree with you... Aki does so much good work on that inside channel... I think Henshaw dynamic with Aki is different to Ringrose... Aki and Henshaw seem to swap a lot and don't seem to worry as much who is 12 and who is 13.... For other defences this makes it considerably harder for them...

Aki's hands have been underrated for years and he also looks for space at times as well. Aki and Henshaw what makes them so dangerous, you figure them out as crash and then they ghost past a defender and release instead crashing up...

Ringrose is a class 13 no doubt about that and we are lucky to have the three of them... Ringrose is deceptively strong and has very decent pace...

I could say great things about all three... Pushed to my collar with them all fit I would go Aki and Henshaw but not by much... Maybe siding a little towards Aki and Ringrose the next day... Very tight margin... Aki at the moment is the one I would keep...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I guess you'd have to bring Henderson and Henshaw onto the bench then, Henderson is a no-brainer and then Hume obviously in very good form and has done nothing wrong but I don't see how you leave a fit Henshaw out of the 23.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

v France 6N '21

1.Healy. 17. Ed Byrne

2.Herring. 16. Kelleher

3.Porter. 18. Furlong

19.Dillane

6.Ruddock, vdF, CJ 20. Connors

21.Casey

10.Billy Burns 22 R.Byrne

14.Earls 23. Larmour

Despite some obvious clangers in selection last year Ireland are going into this game with a full strength team. There wont be a single change to the XV

I have never seen a group of Irish forwards have the blend of pace, power, skill and confidence as this pack. Some Qs remain at scrum.

The bits of critsicm the team is getting in beating Wales is perverse considering where this team was a year ago.

It's a different team playing a very different brand of rugby.

Farrell has gone all in on Leinster. And the way Hansen slotted in to the team was extremely impressive. Aki flinging passes. Keenan with one handed passes behind the back...Sexton looking imperious with ball in hand! Team is bursting with confidence.

This is a Grand Slam decider.

Weather looks decent for Paris next week. KICK YOUR POINTS!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Id imagine the only potential change barring a fresh injury or illness this week for saturday will be Murray for JGP.

On the bench I'd imagine Henshaw comes back in for Hume as he covers 12 and 13. (And 15 :0 ).

Delighted to see Ringrose get 20 minutes on the wing and showed up well coming back in field. Perfect opportunity to have a look at those options at 29 nil up.

Also Henderson for Baird.

Did park pick up a knock?

Starting Murray would be a retrograde step in the style Ireland are playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,947 ✭✭✭TRC10

You were saying Murray might start v Wales as well and I don't understand it (or at least one poster was, not 100% sure who)

JGP didn't have a good first half on Saturday. He threw a really poor pass to Aki's shin, and made a few dodgy decisions. But he tidied his game up and was back to the level we saw from him in November in the 2nd half.

So much of what we do well right now is grounded on moving the ball away from the ruck quickly so that the opposition can't generate linespeed. That's how we get on the front foot.

If we slow things down v France and allow the Shaun Edwards blitz defence to get up in our faces and shut us down, we're in serious trouble. That's why there's no question that JGP starts. And if he pulls out I'd start Casey.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,608 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

ah here

Murray came on fresh on Saturday and threw the worst "fall off" pass to Beirnes feet who was only about 5 meters from him, directly leading to him being hit behind the gainline.

No way do i want the risk of that level of passing for 65 mins against the french

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,598 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Am I the only one that think it's a bit premature to build this up as a Grand Slam decider? We're playing really well, and it's encouraging but, even if we win on Saturday, I wouldn't be taking anything for granted, especially in Twickenham.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Murray’s technique of arrive at the ruck, have a look round, pick up the ball, take a few steps (some indecision), make pass was so obviously slowing down our play when he came on.

Park’s service from the ruck is up there with the best in the world at the moment.

I don’t know how anyone could watch the game on Saturday and think Murray would be the best option to beat France.

Despite some obvious clangers in selection last year

Where are the clangers? Noting that a lot of guys were only there because of injury, it wasn't a bad selection.

• Advertisement

If Henderson is fit, he'll replace Baird in the 23 and likewise Henshaw will replace Hume if fit. The only question is if they're fit and if they go straight into the XV.

Beyond that, I'd be shocked if there are any changes.

You're right TRC10 that was me that suggested it.

I'm still not convinced on JgP. He had a very poor first half. The ruck ball was slowed by Wales and as a result he was slow and when he comes under pressure he made a number of mistakes. That aki pass going left to right(his biggest weakness) was very poor and under no pressure. He had 3 or 4 poor passes and kicks. His accuracy isn't great and he will be found out again v France the same as last year, when he missed a big tackle in lead up to France's first try on 28 minutes and only for lowe's 4 missed tackles the same day he avoided the spotlight.

Id argue Irelands new way of playing is more down to changing up the first/2nd receiver than jgp's speed. That keeps the defences guessing and creates more space for attacks.

As for his running threat. Murray in 10 minutes made over 20 metres compared to jgp's 3 metres in 70 minutes.

I just think Murray who has his negatives is still an all round better scrumhalf than Jgp and id prefer to see him v Dupont the best in the world at that position.

I also think Doak will over take all of the irish options in the next 18 months if he stays on his current trajectory.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,070 ✭✭✭OldRio

At this stage I'd rather have JGP with only one good leg than Murray.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,423 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I'm sorry but no. You don't change something that worked so well. Henshaw shouldn't get back in unless things are less than stellar.

I think Henshaw is an outstanding player and if he played the weekend instead of Ringrose then I'd say Ringrose shouldn't get back in if we had the same level.if ay from our centres.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Thought you were dropping off until after the tournament?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,423 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I'm no Murray fan these days but there's not much between him and JGP imo.

It's our weakest position, I think Doak and Cooney are both better than them and I'm not bigging up Cooney by saying that. The standard isn't great. I think Marmion should be in the mix along with the two Ulster lads ahead of everybody else.

Well the ones that wont be in a 6N XV again in particular. I know you had a different opinion on some at the time.

Of course it's premature but at the same time - I think intimating that France and Ireland are the two best teams in the competition is not unreasonable, especially after the weekend just gone.

But we've only had one round so yeah, the rest of the tournament has to unfold, but of the three remaining teams that can win a grand slam (Ireland, France, Scotland) I suspect if it happens it will be one of Ireland or France, hence the 'decider' moniker.

Scotland have to play both Ireland and Wales away. Ireland have to play France and England away. France have to play Scotland and Wales away so they have the easier of the away fixtures in my opinion.

I think if France win this weekend they'll get the slam. If Ireland win England will still be a huge test as we've denied them the slam on a few occasions and it's a game I could see them seriously showing up for.

France will be scorching hot favourites for the slam if they win on Saturday.

• Advertisement

Preamture. Yes. But i think reasonable. Two of the best teams.

Ireland are at full strength and playing great. Everything is good in the world!

Im confident Ireland can beat England IF we have this pack and JGP. It's a bit mad that Park has become so important!

Advertisement