Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AEW - All Elite Wrestling (*Spoilers for Latest Show*)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭ThePott

Whatever they're working on, they're teasing that it's something big. Their latest promo is billing it as "The Dynamite that Could Change Everything". Again maybe it's hyperbolic or just a tease of a storyline but certainly must be something huge. I honestly can't think of any free agent from the usual releases that would be worthy of this kinda hype so I'm interested to see what it is. Stacked Dynamite either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,598 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

HHH's performers contract ends in March 😝

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

By and large, I feel AEW doesn’t overhype stuff like this. Lee, Ali, even Bray, none of them are “Khan says everything changes” level of debut.

Cena. Shane. Hunter. Anything short of that shock value will be a letdown with this hype.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,275 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Remember Christian

I was happy he signed but man that was really over hyped....

Khan definitely went overboard with Christian's signing last year.

A quote before revolution last year -

"He told the world, and it’s true that there’s going to be a big star signed with AEW. And he’s coming here, and it’s absolutely true what Paul said.

This Sunday a major star in the world of wrestling, a huge, huge star is going to come and sign a multi-year contract with AEW on Sunday at the pay-per-view. I can confirm what Paul said is true, and I’m not talking about the person in the ladder match. We have a great, fun sixth person in the ladder match, but the person who I’m saying is going to come and sign a multi-year contract with AEW, the person Paul referenced. That’s not the sixth person in the ladder match. Paul’s talking about a big surprise, and that’s no joke. What he said to you I can confirm is true."

People were expecting Lesnar, Cena, Punk etc. Christian was a massive let down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,275 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

• Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

The promo doesn't link the Khan announcement to the 'change everything' line. Could be referring to an (overdue) Inner Circle break up, a Mox/Danielson union, or Archer becoming World champ.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,182 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Obviously gonna be the debut of EC3's world changing Control the Narrative faction.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,003 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Ya, the promo line isn't related to the debut.

They have hyped the debut a bit though and I don't know who it could be with it also being part of the Forbidden Door

Shane would count I guess but doubt anyone really wants that. Jeff kind of and the match would make sense with it being against Kassidy (ties into the Andrade taking over HFO). Keith Lee got married tonight so probably not him and Ali would be fantastic but not sure they'll be opening that legal sh1t.

Outside WWE, Josh Alexander has been hinted at but it's not a big debut. Jay White maybe (and I'd love that) would count and he'd a big debut for the fans already into AEW.

I did say as much in my post that the line might not refer to the debut angle. That being said saying everything changes in relation to any of their on going stories seems pretty hyperbolic but it's a hype package so I guess it makes sense.

Agree as well that AEW rarely overhype their debuts, save for Christian which I'm sure they learned from. Which makes this all the more interesting.

I think a Keith Lee, Jeff Hardy or Johnny Gargano debut would be good but not the level they're hyping it to, aside from Hardy breaking his contract. Most of NJPW's big stars are in Japan for their New Years series I believe. So it really is an intreresting one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Pentecost

Agreed. From what I took from the promo it's more likely any of those that that line was referring to.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,169 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Nobody who is available (Jeff, Lee, Wyatt) is even a 1/10th as big a signing as Punk or Bryan so the "changes everything" stuff is bollocks.

If the changes everything thing is for the debut, there's very few wrestlers who it could be.

You're basically down to someone like Stone Cold, Rock or Cena appearing, or Tony going feck it and taking on the WWE legally with their contracts and having someone still under contract appearing.

Less than zero chance that it's someone under contract. Pay, what, millions in legal fees for a jobber like Mustafa Ali?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,682 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Yeah, would really be of the mind that, as loads said above, the two lines are unrelated. That statement about a new guy is big. That statement just as a promo for the events of a show is much more understandable - like for a Mox/Bryan team up to make a new stable, or Inner Circle breakup (or both, with one effectively replacing the other).

I think Khan's tweets saying; "you're welcome to slam the door in the face of their prior company" and that they will sign the contract and "slam the door shut" on Wednesday is what's throwing people off. It would be pretty aggresive phrasing if it was somone they intend to do business with. Him using the 'forbidden door' and 'free agent' is contradictory enough that people don't know what they're getting so speculation is gone mad. It'll have to be something really big to keep people satisfied.

Keith Lee is bleh.

Jeff is cool but his best days are a distant memory now.

I can't stand Wyatt.

With the half exception of Jeff, the "big" WWE names available do nothing for me.

I never watch NJPW but Okada has always looked like a star from the little I've seen so he would also be cool.

Ya, the slam the door shut part and the Forbidden Door can be opened for anyone from any wrestling promotion in the world, whether or not it’s a company AEW is on good terms with parts make me think WWE but it makes no sense if it's an actual free agent.

Bit aggressive to be using that for NJPW or Impact.

Samoa Joe could be another name in the hat to sign and debut on Wednesday.

He was released on the 6th of January and presumably would be on an NXT 30 days no compete.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,025 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

• Advertisement

What the worst the WWE could do to say Jeff Hardy if he walked onto AEW TV during his 90 days just stop paying him the money owed for the remainer of those 90 days.

Take leagal action and they would lose just like they lost when they took Brock to court 17 years ago.

I doubt they want the independent contractor contract challeneged in a court espically when they are releasing talent due to budget cuts when they are turning record profits.

Why bother though going through all that? His non compete is up soon (in a month) so just wait until then and sign him.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,944 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Whoever the new signing is they will face isiah Cassidy to qualify for the face the revolution ladder match. Could it be Jeff? As a massive Hardy mark I hope its not him as I feel his best days are gone for his style.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I think Jeff would be pretty cool at the start, and might even attract some new viewers.. but after a few weeks the shine will wear off because AEW already has a few young guys working a Jeff Hardy style, Guevara in particular.

If they use Jeff in a mentor role like they have with the other older talent like Matt, Christian, Sting etc with the likes of Sammy that would work.

One thing Tony Khan has been good at is using that kind of talent and not overloading them in the ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,182 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

If Jeff comes in I can see it going similar to their Impact run. Starts off at odds with Matt and then they eventually team up.

The Bucks new Twitter bio

Bring us Jeff Harvey.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Yeah that could work alright, he could just a match every now and again like Sting and use his dives for a pop rather than trying to compete with his protégé.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,382 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Christian was a big sign, he was fresh off the RR in WWE and boom then Elite, of course I'm bias

I think it could be Jeff Hardy who I still think can go in the ring good

I think I want a MJF world title reign before Cole

• Advertisement

I'd love to see Jeff Vs Darby.

Matt and Jeff Vs a few of the AEW tag teams could be good as well

Advertisement