Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Apothic_Red

The deaths/excess deaths will be debated for years to come. I don't believe that underlying conditions come into it, we live in an era where only 12% of US adults are considered metabolically healthy, I'd guess we're not far behind. Age & obesity seem to have been the 2 main determinants for poor outcomes.

I posted the FT stats here earlier i the week from the UK. Omicron is currently running at twice as deadly as seasonal flu in the over 50s yet is 3 times as transmissible.

There will surely be tribunals in years to come but we already know when the ball was dropped. Moving staff into the nursing homes without heavy testing early days, the meaningful Christmas & then not opening more last summer. The cost benefit will never be undertaken, how many of those who died with an average age of 84 would have seen another summer & was the 30 billion in debt dumped on the working generations justifiable. It's a conversation that will never be had.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭corkie

Were lockdowns ineffective?

PDF Paper been discussed linked in video description.

LITERATURE REVIEW AND META-ANALYSIS OF THE EFFECTS OF LOCKDOWNS ON COVID-19 MORTALITY, January 2022, Studies in Applied Economics.

Conclusion While this meta-analysis concludes that lockdowns have had little to no public health effects, they have imposed enormous economic and social costs where they have been adopted. In consequence, lockdown policies are ill-founded and should be rejected as a pandemic policy instrument.

Written by economists, principle, damage that lockdowns did to the economy. Were papers chosen to support the theme?

Those who were going to die were going to die whether you locked down or not

expert reaction to a preprint looking at the impact of lockdowns, as posted on the John Hopkins Krieger School of Arts and Sciences website

• Registered Users Posts: 5,639 ✭✭✭giveitholly

I see Orla Hegarty is still having her daily meltdowns on Twitter!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,769 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,769 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Then stop complaining about what she's saying.

Where did I say I was complaining? I actually enjoy reading her tweets

• Registered Users Posts: 30,586 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I do think people look up some of these people on Twitter to get a laugh out of them. There like Gemma O'Doherty in reverse!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,424 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Lockdowns were a response based on fear and hysteria.

It was an emotional response as opposed to a data based repsonse.

Lives were lost, lockdowns didn't save any

• Registered Users Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

The CSO publish the Vital Stats Annual Report about 22 months after end of year:

The 2020 report (due in late 2022) should publish the official figure for deaths due to COVID in 2020, generated from the GRO. I expect that the figure will be substantially below the HSE figure of 2,299, by that I mean several hundred below.

I worry that some people will think that these reported 6,228 deaths are in addition to the typical approx 30,000 deaths per year. Of course they aren't. Many or most of these people would have died anyways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Although the Vital Stats annual report 2020 won't be out until end 2022, let's have a look at Vital Stats Yearly Summary 2020

Deaths due to COVID:

COVID-19 Virus Identified and Virus Unidentified:

There were 1,672 registered deaths where COVID-19 was assigned as the underlying cause of death in 2020. There were a further 167 mortality records where there was a mention of COVID-19 in the narrative of the death certificate and where the underlying cause of death was not COVID-19.  A new information note is available outlining how the CSO assigns COVID-19 as the underlying cause of death.

So the figure is 1,672.

Let us compare that to the HSE figures = 2,299

So the difference is 627, quite substantial.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

The initial one was effective as it cut people off from each other, gave us some preparation for how things would be and allowed us to see just how vulnerable our care homes were. It also helped limit the pressure on the health system, its primary purpose. Given that we had very limited testing ability and no therapeutics it was about the only move we could make.

You might also argue that the Christmas one had a rationale and was a data based response even if it went on for far too long. But now we've learnt these things along with an understanding of just how serious things need to be before we'd ever even consider something like a lockdown again.

I don't get why people are still going on about the CFR two years on. Apart from some very obvious groups it can disproportionately affect, it's always been the risk to health systems, something borne out worldwide.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,842 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Someone was telling me if you are travelling to Portugal you still require a negative antigen test even if fully vaccinated incl. booster.

I don't understand this carry on now. With the WHO saying Europe is riddled with Omicron, what's the point?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,424 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

That's all theory though

Have we any evidence that case numbers were not going to peak and decay naturally without lockdown?

To remove basic freedoms in such a way, I would like to see irrefutable proof lockdowns saved many lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭jackboy

It is a scandal that we are not using this phase of low hospital admissions to fast track introduction of hepafilters or equivalent measures in schools and workplaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

They probably didn't but it's the wrong metric. They certainly did help out health systems, ours especially, by putting the brakes on the spread of it at very specific times. With vaccines and now Omicron that argument no longer exists. Antivirals, widely accessible testing and other therapeutics mean we we probably won't ever do it again and I'd put it down to a needs must, despite its overuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

What I’ve noticed since the start of the pandemic is the confusion that basic numbers seem to cause people in general. Given that this disease impacts people that are largely in quiet close to end of life (in general), to not factor this into an excess death analysis makes very little sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭VG31

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

It finally caught up with me... Minor head cold symptoms, antigen test just turned out +ve.

I see Martin on the radio suggesting masks could become advisory, rather than a legal requirement soon enough. Also looking to remove the poxy things from schools, but only committing to a ‘hopefully before the summer break’.

So, nothing massively concrete really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

When RTE did their little street interviews in the last 6 months, about 90% of the people they cherry-picked randomly asked in the street would always say that they would refuse to eat in a resturant if they didn't either check their covid cert and even check their ID too. I also noticed quite a few boards posters who shared similar extreme views.

What is the story with this now that the restrictions have been lifted? Are people furious that they now have to share the same air-space with ANtiVaxrs and such?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭snowcat

They also always seemed to find the worst anti vaxxers. The one who will say on camera that they got information on Facebook that the vaccines were bad. Never heard much from the reasoned sceptics. With coherent arguments who are intelligent articulate and could put forward their opinions with impartial sources. If the narrative did not fit there was not much airtime. Quellle surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

Exactly! I remember one guy they asked who looked like he was wearing one of those glasses/moustache disguises and he saying about how he won't get the vaccine because Covid doesn't exist and is a story created by the government to keep people in their houses 😐️ Anyone with such fringe viewpoints would know better to talk someone from RTE...

Referring back to the discussion above around whether hospitalisations/ICU figures are any worse than other years. This guy from youtube (AvE) put a FOI request to the Canadian government to provide him with these figures. Quite interesting to say the least:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,701 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Yes, where lockdowns and restrictions weren't put in place cases remained higher, the peaks are unsustainable (people eventually stop mingling with lots of other people), but the base level it dropped back to was dependent on the level of restrictions in place, full lockdowns had a dramatic effect, restrictions less so, you also have to account for variant changes, e.g. restrictions while Delta became dominant may have left a similar case count due to higher R, Omicron would likely see a rise even when adding restrictions.

Post vaccination rollout, lockdowns became pretty much unnecessary, restrictions were enough to keep the hospital cases down.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Derkaiser93

Anyone know why our ICU numbers arent going down to the same extent as they are in other countries? If you look at the UK for example , per capita its lower than us and tumbling down fast. Same in other European countries. Ours have been oscillating between 60 - 75 for a while now.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭ShadowTech

Regarding your last sentence there, I’m not sure that restrictions have much to do with keeping the hospitalisations down with Omicron. It seems like the most important indicator has been level of vaccination among the population. The restrictions seem to have done very little to reduce spread and the remaining restrictions seem pointless now. Mask mandate, reduced capacity, whole industries shutdown and we still had 10’s of thousands of cases a day and the hospitals didn’t come anywhere near collapse.

Case numbers and hospital numbers are all dropping with no restrictions.

Ireland's decision to remain under severe restrictions for the 1st 6 months of 2021 was absolute insanity.

Now we get to hear governments talk about the "cost of living" crisis after the fools borrowed billions to force business to close and pay people to watch Netflix.

Acting more responsible would have been wiser.

In the years to come they'll just shrug their shoulders and mumble some nonsense about public health advise at the time...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,657 ✭✭✭User1998

Why? Covid is nothing now so theres no need for any more health measures

I'd agree, we had the panic after omicron emerged and then dropping of all restrictions when it turned out not to be as dangerous as delta was, it's why any analysis needs to take into account the variant that's dominant at the time, without Delta we'd probably have opened up as planned last year.

• Advertisement

Did Ireland being in lockdown cause energy prices to rise? Or was it increased demand post pandemic after historic low demand during the pandemic exacerbated by Russia agitation with Ukraine?

Advertisement