Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will Comedy End?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,553 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

we're in for a world of 'Peter Kay's and 'Michael McIntyre's ... and I, for one, welcome it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

nah, stewart lee would have spent ten minutes building up to it and insulted the audience after delivering the punchline.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

I think the serious getting offended crowd about comedy now would have been the staunch anti-blasphemy catholic church crowd had they been born 50 years earlier

• Registered Users Posts: 26,397 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Well on Boards the IMHO American obsessed anti "woke" obsessed whingers killed comedy on this site a few years ago now.

• Advertisement

Billy Connolly would also hate people like you using him for politically motivated BS.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,553 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

The mods are not harsh enough. Some amount of loopers on Boards these days clogging up every thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭stellamere

Wasn't a Scottish comedian arrested for teaching his dog to salute when he said " gas the jews". My first instinct was to say he had it coming.

But the context behind it was that he had a very acrimonious breakup with his partner and that she was going to take the dog, a pug, the stocky ones with the flat noses.

So being the bitter and juvenile chap he thought it would be good to corrupt the dog before she took it. He did so by getting it to do something absolutely shocking upon hearing an even more shocking prompt.

There is something darkly amusing about someone coming up with such an outlandish and ridiculous plan just to piss off his ex. Also, the picture in my head of the poor pug doing a nazi salute, when prompted by an unbelievably offensive line is given is kinda funny.

I don't think he was a nazi sympathizer nor was he having a laugh at the holocaust, which was used only for shock factor.

It certainly not everyones idea of humour. However I think an arrest for this is way over the top and is not a good road to go down.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,482 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Not motivated by politics my friend, just discussing the topic at hand…

Connolly spent a lot of last year absolutely lambasting the whole woke unculture…

“How dare you start re-writing the rule book. There is no rule book!”

“Funny is funny is funny.”

And the subject matter doesn’t come into it….

“You can talk about anything, and I intend to do just that.”

So what’s that about Billy ? :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Wasn't a Scottish comedian arrested for teaching his dog to salute when he said " gas the jews". My first instinct was to say he had it coming.

you're the first person i have seen refer to him as a comedian.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Not defending Carr, or his 'nuanced' approach, but it was a bit more than just the few lines that are being printed. There's an extended clip, and by extended, I mean 90 seconds. Worth watching to get a better idea of his point, but I don't think he comes off that much better for it all the same.

I don't agree that this was an offensive joke BTW. People who don't 'get' the joke think its offensive, but the target of his punchline are the people who are happy to think 'Dead jews are bad, but dead Gypsies... maybe they deserved it'

Exactly. Apart from the offensive part I’d agree. People can take as much or little offence from jokes as they please but the butt of the joke is as you describe.

The same is true of Meechan’s pug nazi ‘joke’ too though the butt of the joke wasn’t the Jews but the nazis.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Freddie Mcinerney

Ha, I thought the article I read described him as one. Anyway, I can't see him selling out the Royal Albert Hall anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,333 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I seriously don't know what all the fuss is about with Carr's joke. I mean it's pretty much along the lines of Ricky Gervais' joke about Nietzsche and Hitler and he didn't see any flak for it.

Neither comedian is "punching down", nor are they commenting on any group's "worth" for want of a better word and they certainly aren't advocating to "positives" of killing anyone.

However, the barb is clearly aimed at the people who do believe in things along those lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,333 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Calling Mark Meechan a "comedian" is really stretching the limits of term TBH. However, his prosecution over the "Nazi pug" was absolutely ridiculous, and considered so by a large number of actual comedians too, including Stephen Fry, Ricky Gervais and David Baddiel. In any case, all he ended up with was only an 800 quid fine and a ton of exposure for his YouTube channel. So, it kinda benefited him in a bizarre way.

It was his later activities involving UKIP and hanging around with the likes of Tommy Robinson that probably ended up being a worse look for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

That Count Dankula guy? Don't know if he's genuinely a nazi sympathiser, he's fairly right wing. He's also about as funny as cot death, calling him a comedian is being very generous. Prosecuting him was counter productive though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,461 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

Jimmy Carr's one was a joke, imagine that, a comedian telling a joke. It's obviously not his real views. It wasn't particularly a funny joke but there is some crackers on that show, and I wouldn't really be a fan of his tbh.

The rush of people on social media to express how mad they are about it is bizzare, especially since the show has been on Netflix since CHRISTMAS DAY......

The fact that it is called His Dark Materials should have been a clue....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Esho

I hope so!

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Esho

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭joseywhales

This is all very confusing. Some guy with Irish traveller heritage is claiming that a joke about gypsies dying in the Holocaust was a joke about 'his people'. Does he know that 'his people' didn't immigrate from India like the actual gypsies? And that he doesn't share their language or culture, nor is he genetically close to Roma gypsies. His only connection is the loose use of the term 'gypsy' by British people and the fact that both groups are nomadic. Maybe I'm missing something here?

Comedian was his description in the paper I read.

The conviction certainly made a martyr out of him. It would be safe to say that, if he wasn't arrested, we wouldn't be discussing his crafty wit and chicanery on this forum.

Sounds like he might have been an unsavoury character, and worse again that he wasn't funny.

Nah, Frankie's definitely not doing that.

He's probably busy pretending to weep to keep his new career on track.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

You think it's not "punching down". Give it enough time and someone will tell you it's doing exactly that in a way you even can imagine right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

You're not the first to assume I'm talking about comedy that punches up. There's literally so much comedy that doesn't punch anyone. Good comedy does not have to be at someone else's expense and there's plenty of good comedy that isn't. This idea that comedy is dying because people might get offended is not only completely wrong but it's also (at its heart) just mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,425 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

What's brown and sticky?

A stick?

No sticks were harmed in the making of this joke

Some people mentioned Billy Connolly as someone who will go out of fashion - hogwash- he’s actually probably one of the least offensive and uniquely entertaining comedians with longevity we’ve seen especially compared to comedians who have emerged in the last 20 years. Jokes about bums, dancing with an adult nappy, and indeed crucifixion (about 0.1% of the population get offended about Christianity being mocked these days) - will all remain funny in years to come.

Jimmy Carrs joke that’s in the news - this is Jimmy’s approach- “I’m going to tell you a joke that you know you shouldn’t laugh at....but you will” - and indeed, the audience do- whether it’s sex abuse, religion, cancer, car crashes, it doesn’t matter- the joke will be told and the audience will laugh. Whether it’s a right thing to be doing? Personally I think it’s tiresome at this stage- I didn’t find the joke funny.

the big difference between Billy and Jimmy, is that you felt Billy actually believed what he was saying, and it was also funny- Jimmy’s just a shock jock churning out ever more crass comments for laughs- he has had some clever jokes in the past but this isn’t one of them.

• Advertisement

There is an SNP elected concillor in Scotland demanding that Carr and anyone who applauded the joke be prosecuted.

🤡

Advertisement