Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I think my credit rating is bad

• 06-02-2022 6:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78 ✭✭

About 2 to 3 years ago, my phone bill of around €600 and a Credit Card bill of around €1,000 ( it could be €2,000 I cant remember) went to Debt Collection agencies from AIB and Vodafone as I couldn't make the repayments. At the time I got a letter I think in the post but as I knew I just hadn't the funds to pay them at the time, I lost the letter. I also got a call from one the agencies at the time too and they guy was very nice on the phone, ( he was from NI I believe ) and he was saying pay when I can and how much I could etc etc. That was it, I never heard from any of them again. So a few months later, when I was in a better position money wise, I wanted to start repaying. But I lost the letter and I couldn't remember the call so I had no idea who to contact. I asked the bank and they said they didn't know as they had a few collection agencies. I researched online but couldn't find much. I believe I did find an email address for one and I mailed explaining I wanted to pa, but I never got a reply.

What should I do now? I know my credit rating is probably bad. But now I'm in a much better position than I was a couple of years ago and I can pay them off no problem. Is it better to pay them off or forget about them? I read online that its better to forget about them after so many years because after 5 years they are forgot about and wont affect your credit rating? I find that hard to believe. Will this affect me with the Credit Union if I want a loan with them? I had a loan with the CU before for around €5,000 and it was paid off in full and on time so I've no issues with them. But they would still check my credit rating though. Has anyone any advice to give me if you were ever in a position like mine? Yes I know it was bad to miss payments but I just couldn't afford them at the time.

My post is a ridiculous length sorry - also please don't slag me off for having 2 unpaid loans. I know its bad ok. (Although I saw an old housemate went to England and loads of letters kept coming for her, she said she didn't want them. I opened one and it was from a bank claiming she owed them money. She just legged it to England and didn't feel one bit of regret)!!!!!!

Comments

Advertisement