Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish celebrities who suddenly vanished out of the spotlight

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Elaine Cassidy hasn't been in much film or tv over the last decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,418 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

No Offence.

I mean she is in No Offence a police comedy on BBC. And she was in Acceptable Risk on RTE a Canadian coproduction... which was... acceptably received if implausible.

But yeah its a bit of a drop from the promise of Disco Pigs, Felicias Journey and profile of Harpers Island.

Apparently she was in an Amazon pilot adaptation of Stephen Kings Dark Tower but it wasnt picked up.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭George White

She's one of those people who's gone from potential international stardom to workaday character acting jobs.

RE:the subject, I see Stuart Townsend is doing some Irish-made Hallmark movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,314 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Christ-I clicked on the titles... so many 'former stars' in them too. Or actors who went SUUUPPPPER Christian (Lacey Chabert, for one. She went from potential big star in Mean Girls, to leaving Family Guy (the animated show) because of her Xtian values.

Christ... he's gonna be on the Late Late Show again, isn't he? A total waster.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,715 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

The Russia-Ukraine bother has made me wonder what became of Constantin Gurdiev, he seems to have disappeared from the screens

• Advertisement

I seem to remember reading somewhere that he was moving to the States, ten or fifteen years ago.

I know he's still doing stuff but Sean McGinleys profile seems to have dropped considerably in the last decade. Hes among the same generation of actors that would have included Brendan Gleeson and in the late 90s it seemed he would have been destined for bigger things but the last thing I remember him in was Republic Of Doyle which I dont think lasted long.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

he has been in The Alienist and Shetland since then.

The thing with McGinley was that while he did do some leads (Simon Magus),

He has been doing stuff in Canada post-Republic of Doyle. He was in some folk horror thing, but he's one of those actors who while he's consistently worked (especially in UK TV, everything from Minder and Waking the Dead to short lived BBC D'Unbelievables sitcom The FItz), he never quite got the breakout international roles. Yes, he's in Gangs of New York but his role was quite small IIRC, and bloody everybody's in that film, but the only other big non-Irish film he did was Michael Winterbottom's western The Claim, which was a big flop - 20 milliondollars, made only 669,000. Simon Magus, his nearest-lead flopped.

He's in that Hallmark film with Lacey Chabert and Townsend.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,418 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I thought The Claim was very good, took a chance on it based on a favourable Roger Ebert review... but one more to be appreciated on DVD than box office. Didnt realise it was such a flop.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

I think The Claim was one of those movies that lead to Wes Bentley sinking into addiction. He nearly lost it all, until he went to rehab. From 2000 onwards, his filmography was spotty.

I've never heard of The FItz, literally first mention of it I ever saw was here. Gangs of New York is one of those movies that's seriously disappointing. Scorcese was dealing with Harvey Weinstein, and 'Harvey Scissorhands' as he was nicknamed moulded that film into his own 'vision'... and it's Marty's weakest film, by far.

Speaking of people disappearing, Into the West was on over the Christmas season. I know Ruari Conroy is still working, but whatever happened to the other kid- Ciaran FitzGerald? He just kind of disappeared.

The Fitz was unbelievably bad, it had a very good cast that was utterly wasted on terrible script and setups. It was basically the BBCs attempted answer to Fr Ted.

Was wondering myself about the younger lad from Into The West. His IMDB page indicates a few film roles that dried up in the late 90s but he was in a single episode of Fair City in 2005, the last thing he's listed as being in.

Conroy comes from a theatrical family (dad is Brendan Conroy from Irish RM, Uncle Jarlath Conroy the Irish pilot from Day of the Dead, sister Neili was the third Sharon Curley-Rabbitte in the Van albeit renamed Diane), so that probably kept him on the track, while the other lad probably just had his work dry up, or he grew out of love.

RE:the Fitz, it was the BBC's attempt to combat Fr. Ted. Excellent cast (Ruth McCabe and Eamon Morrissey as the parents, Bronagh Gallagher and Eamonn Owens as the other kids, guest appearances from the likes of Warwick Davies. It hasn't dated well The eldest son is this gay stereotype who regularly blacks up and does drag musical numbers as Bassey or Ella Fitzgerald.

Eamonn Owens, another one who hasn't acted since playing another character called Francie in Love/Hate. Pity because the Butcher Boy is one of the great child actor performances.

Just watched the Claim on tubi (via vpn). Long fascinated by the genre of British-made westerns (variously known as "the fish and chips western", "the Roast beef and Yorkshire pud western" and my favourite, the "scampi western"

Had a google. Apparently Ciaran FitzGerald is now working as a doctor.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Ballycommon Mast

Samantha Mumba has just landed an new job doing Saturday nights 7 till midnight on Dublin's 98fm, it's a pretty crappy graveyard shift for someone who was once an international superstar

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Joe Don Dante

Pete Postlethwaite

She was on that 'Nicky Byrne' show last year... didn't watch it, but knew she was on it from the advert alone. She used her dad's recent death to discuss a 'comeback'... after her previous two failed comebacks.

He died.

OPS a troll. (The Dante guy, accidentally included Rabblerouser in quote)

Gavin Lambe Murphy, bleached hair and glasses guy

• Advertisement

Makes an appearance every now and then in a Barry Egan 'Remember this guy?' piece. Then sods off for another couple of months/ years etc.

Is he still flat broke?

don't think he'll ever go broke. Daddy super rich

Post edited by Joe Don Dante on

And all his roles he probably would have played either going to Mark Rylance (terrible) or David Bradley (who worked with Postlethwaite quite a bit, both Weatherfield police inspectors in early 80s Coronation St)

Proinsias De Rossa

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭banoffe2

Norah Casey Dragons Den

Sarah Newman Dragons Den

Bill Cullen and Jackie Lavin Dragons Den

Gerald Keane Solicitor to the Celebrities

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Nora Casey is still about,

Newman went bankrupt as far as I know,

Bill Cullen and Jackie are very old and bankrupt.

Keane disappearing is surely a good thing

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭banoffe2

Interesting how some of the Dragons went bankrupt I remember how intimidating they were on the show like they knew it all and thrived on it !

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Same for Bill and Jackie on the Apprentice, some for Jay Bourke who was 'The Mentor' on RTE advising other businesses, and is now haggling to hold onto his big house in Rathmines while going through insolvency.

Don't believe everything you see on TV.

I've never understood how Rylance managed to go from obscure actor, to Oscar winner, after some of the films he did. Like, take Intimacy (2009). He starred in the movie alongside Kerry Fox, and one of the scenes in the film involves the actress Fox giving him oral sex, but unsimulated oral sex. Her career died a death afterwards, whilst he gets to star in kids films like the BFG. Many actresses who did far less, never got the mainstream success.

He's a boring actor. His character in Ready Player One was just a grown up Garth from Wayne's World.

Gavin Lambe Murphy's whole story was completely fictional. He told everyone he was due to inherit a 'massive fortune'... when in face his real name was Gavin Murphy, he was from a normal Dublin family, and there was no massive fortune. He added the 'Lambe' part to his name-to make himself sound more important.

He was pretty much broke, and making money from getting freebies because he was a 'celebrity'. Even got into expensive events because they thought he was famous. He was writing for some newspaper... who's name I don't care to google.

He was a fraud.

Speaking of folks who disappeared-whatever happened to the O'Hailpin brothers? They were all the time hyping them up because the ladies in the media thought they were 'gawrjuss'.

They don't even do punditry on TV, or anything. Just disappeared from the spotlight.

Post edited by RabbleRouser2k on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,296 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I remember seeing him in Shooting Fish in the late ‘90’s … he did a decent job in a quirky decent-ish comedy, played a guy called Jez..if my memory serves…

Kate Beckinsale, Dan Futterman and Peter Capaldi all starred… it was reasonably reviewed if not groundbreaking…

Advertisement