Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭BurgerFace

Russia aren't going to invade Ukraine. Only dopes believe that. Even Ukraine doesn't believe it. I saw Orla Guerin in a trench with her helmet on and her bullet-proof vest reporting the "imminent threat on this ..the frontline" and behind her were kids doing wheelies on their bikes.

"Don't take unnecessary journeys, don't take treacherous roads!

So Macron is going to meet the Russians on Monday. For what exactly? I thought that Russia was about to invade and that NATO were going to kick their asses if that happened. We also have that German fool Olaf Scholz saying that he will go for talks. His words: "I'm not going for a cup of coffee" You're damn right, Olaf. You're going to say "I'm sorry and please let's keep Nordstream 2 going".

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I thought that Russia was about to invade and that NATO were going to kick their asses if that happened.

I suspect you are the only person on this thread operating under that misconception, unless for some reason you believed Russia were about to invade a NATO country, in which case I suspect you would be the only person on this thread operating under that misconception as well.

I'm sure Russia would vastly prefer to achieve its policy gains without a war and has set goals which, in theory at least, could be met without requiring one. That doesn't stop them threatening one as leverage, and right now, they're certainly putting a lot of leverage down.

Do you see any of this nonsense?

You're such an expert because you know that Russian fighter pilots have to buy GPS systems in a shop and glue them to the dashboard in the cockpit so you must have a load more proof of what's happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Russia's requirements are for NATO and the rest of the idiots to ensure that Ukraine will never join your little bully monkey club. If they don't get that guarantee then you can yap about sanctions and Crimea and MH-17 all you want. Your gang created this standoff and now your gang don't know how to get out of it without looking like ****. So stay the course. The Americans are trying to kick the Russians' demands into the long grass saying "we need to consult our NATO allies". The US didn't need to consult a NATO soul when they just fled from Afghanistan. The pullout was done with the usual American chickensh!t betrayal of everyone. So please don't tell me that I am in some way deluded about what is happening here.

Why are the US and the NATO lackeys demanding that Russia move their troops and/or equipment ANYWHERE. It's in THEIR country they can put it where they want. And that's even if you believe the stories of legions of Russians on the border and armadas on surrounding bodies of water.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

OK. I won't tell you that you are in some way deluded about what is happening here.

I think the other posters/readers can draw their own conclusions, however.

But are not false flag operations the stuff of conspiracies?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Only if you ignore the evidence of Russian activities during their invasion of Crimea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

Just wondering if a full invasion happens with Russia invading the rest of Ukraine how long would it take? If they are stating Russia is 70% ready with personnel to invade how much longer realistically will it take them to get to 100% and in that time frame how many more soldiers could the Ukrainian army muster for full time soldiers fully trained as I'm sure there are thousands getting trained at moment, also with civilians getting trained to help fight. Does time in this case more favour Russia with getting from 70% to 100% or with Ukraine able to get more soldiers trained up in the same period, civilians as well, more positions set up and equipment as well. Supplied by the USA etc. With this going on who benefits more out of the 2 before if it does happen and hopefully not a war between the 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭shillyshilly

Post edited by shillyshilly on

• Advertisement

one tangible reason to ask for their removal is the movement of short and medium range nuclear capable ballistic missiles, which are currently in Belarus.

if any invasion occured, it gives standoff capability against Ukraine. But also range to strike western Europe and Nordics.

(you could argue this has been the case for a while, with the capability Russia have in Kaliningrad, but not on the scale currently in Belarus)

Back to my point, the 8 point de-escalation plan Russia handed to NATO mentions re-negotiation of the INF treaty, which the above is an example of Russias blatant disregard of it in the first place.

pretty standard one rule for me, not for thee... escalate to de-escalate tactics by the Russian side.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,892 ✭✭✭✭listermint

If ever there was reason to believe a poster is blatantly not of this country and has fairly close ties to origin this is it.

What does an Irish site provide? A playground to test misinformation? An area to hone colloquial language skills?

Personally unsure but it's interesting stuff.

there is enough OSINT out there to do any correlation fairly quickly. As you mentioned, usual media outlets who would jump at a chance to catch out any western intel, aren't. You can get tailored debriefs now of images from subscription services from the likes of Maxar etc....

of course you will have people who try to gaslight this with "oh well the west have bought them out" and garbage like that...

personally, I follow the money, and certain troop movements as an indication of what may be happening.

The ISR capability being used in Europe and Ukraine is staggering. With the deployment of the Constant Phoenix to the UK also, it shows what the west think may happen.

if they were so hell bent on starting a war, there are far cheaper methods in doing this than what is currently happening.

It's also quite telling that part of the Wagner group deployment to Mali, which was meant to be long term, and which caused the Swedish to pull out earlier than planned in the international mission there. Have been recalled to Russia.

edit: looks like a bomber deployment to the UK also

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭cheezums

Macron going on a solo run and validating Russias paranoia - "they're just asking questions". The EU really is a mess diplomatically, no cohesion whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭zv2

Then why is Filatov complaining that NATO have missiles within five minutes from Moscow? That's the problem the Russians have in all this. What if the Russians shipped some missiles to Cuba? Would we have people complaining that the US is telling people what to do?

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 13,768 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Putin would be foolish not to carve off up to the Dneiper or the bottom qtr corner Which is full of Russians.

Germany, France, Austria, the Dutch are all humming and hawing. The will to impose and maintain sanctions is not there. It marks end of Western Europe as a serious player on the world stage, purely self inflicted.

He has a close relationship with China. He is a leading oil exporter, leading fertilizer and minerals exporter. He has massive cash reserves.

With the current economic climate, it puts more aces in to his hand. Russia stopping exports will be a significant driver of inflation.

Because Russia have missiles in Kaliningrad a number of years now, that contravene previous and current treaties

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Because Filatov is a propaganda merchant just like the rest of the rest of the Russian foreign ministry. He reads what's put under his nose by Putin's inner circle. The Russian foreign ministry had been castarated in the last decade and have been reduced to peddling statements and being the last to know things (often after their counterparts in other foreign ministries).

And you eat it up with astonishing credulity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭zv2

shillyshilly: "Because Russia have missiles in Kaliningrad a number of years now, that contravene previous and current treaties"-

"Russia has said previous deployments of Iskander missiles to Kaliningrad, a slice of Russia wedged between Poland and Lithuania, were temporary and a response to the United States building up its forces in the Baltic region." Russia deploys Iskander nuclear-capable missiles to Kaliningrad: RIA | Reuters

Ho hum...

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Advertisement

Does the US have a nuclear missile delivery system in the Baltic states? No it doesn't

Does Russia have a nuclear missile delivery system in Kaliningrad right next to Poland? Yes it does.

You've been had zv2. You don't think for yourself. Putin isn't some sort of anti-imperial crusader. He's a paranoid ex-low-level spook with fever dreams of being Peter the Great, surrounded by thieves and murderers. The Russian people couldn't get rid of him if they wanted to.

You're brain and critical faculties are under occupation.

You do realise that France hold the EU presidency, and in lieu of an elected president, the national president takes charge?

i.e. the EU are sending the EU president for talks

Ah, nice breeze over some of the facts behind it, like:

-The US troop build up was part of a pre-declared NATO exercise

-Troops were removed after the exercise

-Russia snuck them into Kaliningrad, denied they were there and only declared them being there after the US caught them out with intelligence (direct breaking of treaty)

-did not remove them after troop draw down after exercise in 2018

• Registered Users Posts: 12,571 ✭✭✭✭Sand

At what point do people start digging themselves out of the hole they've gotten themselves into? Any calm assessment knows that is not going to happen. The Russians are telling anyone who will listen that its not going to happen. The Ukrainians are saying its not going to happen. And the NATO response demonstrates they believe its not going to happen. And still, people aren't ready to give up yet and accept its over. Better luck next year.

People have been squawking about an imminent Russian invasion for 4 months now trying - and failing - to drum up mass hysteria. The US has burnt through a huge amount of political capital, the UK is frankly embarrassing itself under BoJo and Ukraine has been the primary victims of the entirely manufactured instability. It seems that finally calmer heads in Europe are beginning to try diplomacy. I think another poster earlier said that this was a sign of Europe losing all relevance in world politics - nothing could be farther from the truth.

@Sand

The only people in this thread throwing their anchor down saying something definitely is or isn't going to happen is the Putinista cub scouts. You may well yet end up with egg on your face (which would be a tragedy for Ukraine & the Russian people). You're also far too quick, - and suspiciously so for someone trying to appear even handed - to absolve Putin and cronies for their escalation, threat of force and prior malfeasances against Ukraine.

I know what I posted, so don't even think about putting words into my mouth about the prospect of invasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

What political capital have the US expended? It seems to date a fairly low cost endeavor for them. Throw some troops into NATO countries, push Europe to get the thumb out and stand up to Russia. The West doesn't have to do much at all, just sit back and watch Putin dig himself into a deeper hole, until the inevitable retreat. That, or he decides to attack, in which case it's the end of him and his regime.

you obviously didn't get the memo .... if you don't agree with Russia, you're automatically pro-invasion by NATO...

I honestly hope this is sorted diplomatically, but the evidence is starting to lean more to it not.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

@Sand Russians are telling anyone who will listen that its not going to happen.

The same Russians who said they weren't in Crimea before they illegally annexed it or the same Russians who were not in eastern Ukraine ,

Or the same Russians who said they did not shoot down flight MH17.

Now sand remind which of the above isn't true ???

They're loathe to admit it, but Putin has made a huge rod for his own back with the current circumstances he has engineered.

For whatever reason, malcontents who harbour an admiration for Putin have fully bought into the '4D Chess' strongman mystique. These are not the actions of a secure and powerful leader, he's taking extraordinary risks with both his own regime and European peace generally.

Like most people, I'm not entirely uncritical of the US, and we're all free to criticize the blots on their copybook. But, I'll be clear about my stance, NATO has successfully backstopped the European peace since the end of the second world war - and it's been one of the USA's major strategic and foreign policy successes. That sticks in the craw of political malcontents but it's a hard truth. And, it's beyond parody that the same malcontents would row in behind someone like Putin, who has consistently shown his willingness to put the Pax Europa under threat because he's in mourning for the halcyon days of Russian greatness (that never really existed in the first instance).

A diplomatic solution is the ideal, but the Russian list of demands is crazy talk. Their demands are nothing short of that Eastern Europe should be a Kremlin plaything with post-'97 accession states being relegated to second-tier members of NATO and castrated security arrangements. That they believe those demands should be seriously considered under the threat of force is also deluded.

For context, thousands of Russian troops are camped out at Brest in Belarus at this very moment - they could spit sunflower seeds and hit Poland from there, and they want Poland to roll-back their security dispensation? With a Russian vassal state that regularly hosts Russian troops on their door? Absolute nonsense.

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement