Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon Airport Thread [Mod Warning in First Post]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Booked a flight ex SNN for next August. Now there's positivity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

Shannon Airport optimistic about 2022 after slight rise in passenger numbers last year (RTE)

The company that operates Shannon Airport said it was optimistic about its prospects in 2022, following two years of significantly reduced activity.

Almost 380,000 passengers travelled through Shannon Airport last year, according to Shannon Group. That is up 8% on 2020 but still 78% lower than the 2019 figure.

Connectivity between some destinations recovered at a faster pace, however, with its European routes reaching 65% of its 2019 levels last year.

Meanwhile the number of passengers travelling to and from the UK reached 43% of its 2019 figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

State Aviation Statistics (DTTAS)

Does anyone know when the works on the apron will be finished? The works around stand 23? Are they still putting a new air bridge up at Gate 6?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

The work around stand 23 should be finished soon, the new airbridge is due to be delivered in March.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Tiernster7

French ambassador as well as Limerick based French dignatory visited airport yesterday.

Lots of talk about mutual opportunities.

French state has a pretty large share in the KLM-Airfrance axis.

I'd be hopeful that a direct link between Shannon and France(Probably Paris given rail and connections available) was a substantial part of the discussion.

Hopefully they can get a CDG route. Aer Lingus never got to resume SNN CDG.

It would be great. There are quite a few rumoured routes over the last 6 months. It would be good to see one completed

Hopefully they happen.

Aer Lingus increase flights anyway from this week. SNN LHR is increasing to 13 weekly from this Friday. Also operated by the NEO. SNN BOS & JFK are resuming soon as well on the 10/11 March respectively. It will be great to see TA flights back at SNN after 2 years. (Albeit bittersweet because no CC base. Really hope the staff are ok now and any that went to DUB can still do some SNN flights)

Ryanair are launching a new route from Shannon to Barcelona Girona (GRO) from the 29 March. Twice weekly.

• Advertisement

Great news, Tuesday Saturday which pairs well with Reus flights on Monday and Friday!

I think access to France and Andorra isn't too bad either

Post edited by Tiernster7 on

Do you or anyone else no if there are rumours of any more routes?

Ryanair are announcing a 3rd aircraft and more routes for ORK this morning. Pity SNN couldnt see the same.

Re Cork announcement it isn't huge in real terms.

Before yesterday Cork had 100 weekly routes for peak summer after today it is only 12 more. There are only 3 new routes(Valencia, Alghero & Pisa) and each begin in June and run till September(three times weekly). Liverpool has 1 flight extra per week and Manchester 2.

*will do a retot, four of the 7 routes already existed and to me look to be unchanged in volume of flights.

Shannon before yesterday had 72 increasing to 74 from March 29th.

To be honest Cork should have had a 3rd base before now based on those figures.

Regarding rumours

I suppose Philadelphia with AA will hopefully happen in 2023

It seems a Paris route is in offing (Looking at Air France or Aer Lingus -lots of talk so far)

TD's have mentioned Saudia and Ethiopian at various times

Air Canada Toronto(2023 or 2024)

On Ryanair - I think in Winter 2022 there will be new routes (I see one of the Barcelona routes staying now, i've been told Bristol may comeback in response to Rugby away days (MR source)

After that I really don't know

Just an add on Lufthansa doubled their Frankfurt service in 2019 so with their connections in the area I'd hope that is on the table.

Turkish Airlines have quite alot of cargo, could a once weekly service be negotiated I'd hope so, those 2 are purely my own though.

Currently 9 flights per week to Edinburgh from Cork and 4 from Shannon. I'd guess that gap can be closed during the year if bookings are strong. Same for other routes. I'd love to think a shannon Ryanair announcement is incoming but I don't have any reason to think so right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Latest CSO figures showing midwest having the highest regional job growth in the country. Between this and the motorway developements in the region the airport should really be capitalising on this.

Could see budapest having the potential for year round service. Just before covid it got one winter season from cork and was v popular. Popular christmas market, increase in irish students studying. Not to mention the dental industry over there and its just a lovely city to visit. Would definately return and recommend.

Actual Lisbon would be a potential too.popular city break and its a hub for travel to south america. Lots of south americans living in the mid west and west esp

Toronto is the route that has most potential personally one id be looking forward too for the airport giving the Irish community over there. Will all depend on how its marketed esp in canada. Whenever its launched needs to be a good social media blitz of all irish clubs and socities not just in Toronto but in Calgary and Vancouver too. Really get it in the minds of people over there. Not just enough to stick promotional booklet in the weekly local papers of the midwest.Would highly recommend Toronto in the autumn time esp if your a lover of the great outdoors. The colours of nature are just fab and they really embrace it.

Doubt its in the airports radar but giving it physical advantages over Cork, think there is potential looking east too. Will be an interesting few years for the airport to see where it goes.

CSO figures encouraging.

Tourist infrastructure and events encouraging this year (UL hosting World frisbee and Lacrosse events, Dromoland hosting womens Irish open, Rugby experience centre being added in Limerick)

The census will be out soon and will hopefully provide further encouragement.

I think new rail infrastructure in Limerick will help Shannon even if the spur is quite a while away (if ever)

All that said Ryanair now flies 12 times per week Manc to Cork vs 5 for Shannon and 12 times to Edinburgh vs 3 for Shannon. Growing the routes that exist need to be the priority for anyone who cares about the airport. If load rises on these routes there will be extra flights added to schedule which will ultimately lead to more routes anyway.

True need to get good numbers on existing routes and grow them along with new routes. Hopefully UL and even NUIG can continue to attract events that would bring people from abroad. Also seems to be full steam ahead Silver Rock studios in Nenagh too should help

Yip, not sure if Hidden Assets and Smother are associated but there is plenty of activity that might generate something for the airport. Limerick city has a lot more music this summer, the pro am in Adare , throw in the Ryder cup too.

I feel like what Ryanair have offered Shannon is pretty reasonable. Its up to Shannon to try generate activity to bring it closer to what Cork has.

I think SNN has got a good amount so far from FR. It’s got better destinations from them now than before the pandemic.

A lot of FR flights from ORK are to the UK.

I agree what ryanair has offered is reasonable. Its up to locals to support and the airport to promote in the hope that they may increase frequency on them over time.

Up to the airport now to do the hard sell to attract other airlines for potential new routes

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Anyone know why Park4less is still closed?

I booked a long weekend in the UK and the parking is double the price of the airfare. Madness.

They should open it up soon. The summer schedule will Be starting and JFK, BOS & EWR resuming in the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,171 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Toronto, Paris, Lisbon, DUBAI?

Lads, the airport is just recovering from a 2 year long near halt in international travel, we're not going to start landing these amazing routes to brilliant locations.

The airport was onto good routes before COVID hit, as mentioned here the BCN and CDG routes with EI were great, however in a climate where you need constant injections to be able to travel without spending massive amounts on tests, we need to be realistic about our routes here.

Airlines like Ryanair are the ones to capitalise on this, establish new route patterns, increase market share and establish dominence. I cannot see 'legacy' airlines riddled with massive debt, a senior workforce and single city bases making any massive expansion plans here.

Slow and steady will be the way forward here, it's arguable that air travel may take years to return to old levels. Business traffic may never return to previous levels.

Also on the park4less, keep in mind the airport is massively down on previous parking revenues, can't see why they'd be jumping to return a low cost option.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭knockon

Anyone insight to the 321neo utilization? After march 27th for 6 days a week both aircraft will be landing after the Eastbound transatlantic around 6am. 1 will be doing the LHR morning route. What will the other one be doing? Then both are flying West bound at 12.50 and 13.30 to JFK and BOS.

Im assuming one has down time in SNN incase they need maintenance or to position to DUB for it and swap aircraft. Although it may be easier to swap a/c in LHR since two will be on the ground from SNN/DUB at the same time there in the morning.

DUB/SNN - LHR seem to be the only UK/EU routes the NEO are doing so far this summer. Things could change for DUB though.

@JCX BXC noone was looking for these immediately more of a long term ambition. However both paris and toronto were due to be in service summer 2020. I know plenty booked on the Paris service before covid hit. Only last week on rte radio there was an interview with a travel agent who said midterm was v busy and some routes were having their busiest midterm on some routes. One destination she said was Paris with families going to Euro Disney for midterm.So both routes are not unrealistic in the next year or too. Plus thing of all the irish in the likes of canada who were seperated from family and friends for 2 years. There would be pent up demand so its not an airy fairy idea. The airport would have had a lot of the ground work done with air canada for the 2020 seasion so wouldnt be the maddeas idea to express hope for next year

Post edited by lisasimpson on

SNN YYZ is not unrealistic I’d say. SNN spoke to ClareFM in recent months and mentioned the route. They were hopeful for its return in 2023 or 2024. AC Boeing Max are well back in the air now.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭paddyirish23

Booked a holiday for Apr out of shannon, can't wait for that airport pint again!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,151 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

@Tiernster7. TD's have mentioned Saudia…

what would be the attraction for Shannon rather than Dublin?

• Advertisement

I didn't say it would work, I just listed the rumours.

Fwiw, every state owned airport has a budget thst can be associated with attracting routes. I'd guess that would be a big part.

Thinking further there are quite alot of middle east routes from Dublin, maybe being the only ME carrier serving the west coast of Ireland would be attractive. Honestly it feels like a few levels up but one that would be strategically useful.

Us troops and Saudia though, the left would have a field day

Advertisement