Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marvel Cinematic Universe general stuff

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,214 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Marvel have developed these IPs over decades and have seen them bare enormous fruits with the MCU. That was achieved through careful planning.

You can't give Marvel sh1t for that. Blame the machine in Hollywood who took that success to mean it must be replicated through their own (badly conceived) shared universes.

I can see Scorcese's argument, but Emmerich really is having a laugh with this given some of the shat he's produced.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Useless Lump

what other shared universes are there though?

DC attempt didn’t work so they are just making individual movies. Universal monsters fell apart after the first one.

There are the only two superhero franchises in cinema.

There are plenty of original, imaginative movies out there from talented filmmakers who are not doing superhero movies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,776 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Watched Blade again I really hope Snipes gets a role in the rebooted MCU version

Maybe cast him in the Jamal Afari role from the comics if they don't go with Whistler.

There are more but don't want to particularly come across as bothered, so just listing the main ones of recent years chasing money besides Marvel and DC:

Sony Marvel, which is the equivalent of going down to the very bottom of the barrel.

The Fast Franchise.

Godzilla/Kong.

The Disney+ Star Wars shows, both current and planned

Harry Potter/Fantastic Beasts/whatever JK spins next

And then there are reports of separate films for shat like even The Power Rangers.

Spin offs or shared universes, they're more or less the same thing now with the spin off planned before the 'original' is even released.

X-Men

Bond

Star Trek

Lord of the Rings/Hobbit

Indiana Jones

Rocky/Creed.

Hunger Games

Twilight

Planet of the Apes.

Bourne.

• Advertisement

Those are film series not shared universe.

and they are not what these moaners like Emmerich are complaining about.

Bond is the longest running but isn’t doesn’t “dominate” like they are saying Marvel does.

so, there is more than I remembered but there is the thing - sure the shared universe idea comes from Marvel and of course studios will try to do it (they are in the business to make money) but it isn’t like the shared universe idea is dominating Hollywood - Sony SpiderVerse is in its infancy, Fast & Furious is a series with one spin off, etc.

how many people even know these movies connect to other movies?

Sure Fast& Furious dominates the box office every couple of years but it isn’t taking up screen time every few months

Studios might be trying to replicate the MCU but they have nothing on the scale and a lot have just died out.

The problem in Hollywood isn’t the shared universe idea - that is minuscule - what is “ruining the film industry” is remakes and Ryan Reynolds movies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,062 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Dakota Johnson is currently in talks to join the Spider-Verse. The actress is being eyed to play the titular role in Sony's "Spider-Man" spin-off "Madame Web".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,905 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Emmerich can console himself and blame the MCU for his latest incredibly expensive flop if he wants but its very pathetic.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Bad time IMO to release big blockbusters: unless you're a solid, dependable IP it feels unlikely markets are comfortable enough to flood cinemas so soon "after" a global pandemic (insofar as the Omicron variant appears to be heading). The latest Bond, Fast & Furious, and Spider-Man the only real hits IIRC.

Plus, maybe said global pandemic has neutered audience appetites for watching the world burn. Can't imagine the passive yearning for a little nihilism plays as well as it used to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,794 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Yeah, that's very true... i'd say "going for the sake of going" attendances are still way down. For myself anyway, pre-pandemic i'd have gone to the cinema at least once a week - but since April 2020, I've only gone to Tenet, A Quiet Place 2, Bond, Spiderman, Dune, and Liquorice Pizza. Things I really actively wanted to see in cinema, and material (or directors) that I was already firmly connected to.

We're probably getting closer to returning to a situation where going to the cinema is something you do off-hand, but I don't think we're quite there yet.

Anthony Ramos has been cast in a secret role for Marvel's #IRONHEART

The actor is said to have a big role in the series and in future Marvel projects

Russell Crowe will be starring alongside Aaron Taylor-Johnson in Marvel's #KravenTheHunter movie

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Technically it's Sony's Kraven The Hunter and given that Crowe already has a role in

Thor Love & Thunder

I presume this means we won't be getting anymore MCU/Sony-verse crossovers.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I imagine we will get more crossovers.

I imagine Crowe's character in Thor dies.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Kraven the Hunter?

Look, I'm sure he is plenty of peoples' favourite, alongside Madame Webb, but ... snort. You so lame Sony.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,196 ✭✭✭✭flazio

All of the Netflix Defenders range of shows are being pulled off the service on March 1st.

Honestly, it's no great loss IMO. The shows never quite managed to gain momentum enough to forge a proper identity, while the obvious inability to even mention the wider MCU always jarred. They could also be a bit of a slog to watch.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Will they find their way onto Disney plus at any stage?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Might not be to you, but there's been a huge consistent grass roots campaign for years on twitter of people looking for some form of continuation of the NMCU under #savedaredevil

They were all so happy with Cox in No Way Home, they are NOT going to be happy if there's no way to watch these series.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,196 ✭✭✭✭flazio

It'll turn up on Disney+, I'm sure. (Although if they happen to misplace Iron Fist, no biggie)

There's one other series hiding elsewhere, Cloak & Dagger is currently sitting on Amazon Prime, I suspect that will also be on the move soon.

I had meant to add the caveat that of the properties, Daredevil seemed to have the most enthusiasm behind it; as you relate, it wasn't uncommon to read interviews where Charlie Cox or Vincent D'onofrio was asked if there was to be another season. So yeah, to be fair I was a little bummed Daredevil was canned. But overall? I dunno, never got the sense the Netflix series really lit up the zeitgeist.

None, bar Iron Fist Season 1, were bad shows as such but they always lacked ... something. I dunno: pacing, stakes, a proper antagonist - just some X Factor that made them a little inessential. Even The Defenders fell a little flat for me, never feeling like it knew what to do with its group of heroes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I think you're right about it not lighting up the zeitgeist even amongst Marvel fans. One of my best mates who I would go to midnight screenings with had never watched any of the Marvel Netflix shows and only decided to start having seen NWH and Hawkeye. I've told him to just watch the Daredevils and the first season of Jessica Jones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,017 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Daredevil, The Punisher and Jessica Jones (season 1) were definitely top-tier. I actually enjoyed The Defenders too even though most didn't. I imagine all will end up on Disney+ regardless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,547 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Madame web was a big part of the 90s cartoon, and opens it all to more multiverse stuff. Would say a decent number in their late 20s and 30s remember that.

She's playing a newer version of Madame Web in the comics that is essentially a Nick Fury type.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,547 ✭✭✭✭Varik

There's literally a half dozen spider women and they pick the one who everyone forgets about and occasionally shows up in Spiderman events.

AOS is also leaving Netflix in the US this month.

So will this open the door for Netflix style brutality and violence and help bring back rest of The Defenders and The Punisher to join Daredevil & Kingpin in the MCU.

“He’s brutal,” Feige tells the online movie magazine Empire. “It’s been fun to work with Disney+ and see the boundaries shifting on what we’re able to do. There are moments [in the series] when Moon Knight is wailing on another character, and it is loud and brutal, and the knee-jerk reaction is, ‘We’re gonna pull back on this, right?’ No. We’re not pulling back. There’s a tonal shift. This is a different thing. This is Moon Knight.”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Trailer for Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness

Feels very Loki adjacent. Definitely feeling a bit hyped about the potential

maybe .. just possibly.. just maybe maybe.. X-Men intro!

Advertisement