Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Day/Night meter

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭OmegaRed

I have a smart meter installed (New build, came with the house). I just moved to Electric Ireland and their day / night 26% discount rate - 18.94c / 9.35.

I have called 3 times now and not got a clear answer on the installation of a day / night meter. I am just off the phone and another lady told me that I am all setup and good to go and that I don't need a day / night meter installed, that the smart meter with work. Based on what I have read, I’m a bit sceptical that all will be fine when my first bill arrives in March 2022…

We've been really good now the last few weeks and moved most of our consumption into the night rate:

·      10kw PHEV timed to charge from 11pm onwards

·      Delay timers on dishwasher and washing machine set before going to bed

·      Timed the low energy desiccant dehumidifier in the shed to run between 11pm and 8am

15Kw used this morning between midnight and 7.30am. On the night rate, that should cost me a third of what I was paying last month but again, hopefully no issues with the day/night rate and the smart meter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,028 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Smart meter will do day night function. The ESB will not remove a smart meter. They are replacing all meters with smart meters by 2025.

Slava Ukrainii

Update on the day / night rate / smart meter debacle

I received my first bill from Electric Ireland and (shock horror) it was for for a single rate and not the day night rate that i signed up for. I have just received a call back from Electric Ireland and they have said that the day night rate is not available as I have a smart meter. I have asked for a day night meter to be installed (knowing it can't), and they are gone off to check

It seems like there is real confusion about switching to day night rates and smart meters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭CreadanLady

You really would want to be using a lot of night time units to make a day/night tariff worthwhile. The standing charges are higher and the day unit rate is much higher also.

I was considering moving to a split tariff for the sake of heating water in the tank at night on the low rate, but the numbers didn't add up for it. There was no saving to be made.

The MFV Creadan Lady is a mussel dredger from Dunmore East.

I've run the numbers, charging EV, running garage dehumidifier on full, dishwasher/washing machine, all running in the 11pm to 8am bracket accounts for nearly 50% of my usage. Definitely worth it

Would have saved me nearly 40 euro this month and thats including the the higher standing charge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,841 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Is this a smart meter?

No. That's a day/night meter. Guard it with your life! 😄

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,582 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

As above, day/night meter, exact same as mine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭v10

Here's my recent experience. I signed up with Iberdrola last March (2021) on a 24hr rate. I had a standard meter at the time.

Also last March we got a new EV and a charger installed.

ESB changed my meter to a smart meter around May, I didn't give it much thought at the time as my plan was fixed for a year.

In June, I had solar installed.

So in February this year I started pricing around as my electricity plan was expiring. I assumed now that I have a smart meter I'd just be able to avail of a day/night rate, but no, instead I'm getting "smart" rates which were all a rip off. I called Iberdrola and asked if my meter could be changed to a day/night meter and was told no. So I called ESB networks and asked them if my meter could be changed and was told yes but the request had to come from my current supplier. So I called Iberdrola back and after being passed around to different people they eventually said they'd request it.

I waited 2 weeks and nothing, so called ESB networks again and asked them had they received a request. They confirmed they had and arranged a date to install the day/night meter for the following week. Installer came and had a lot to say on the matter, saying that I was dead right requesting a change as the smart meters are offering no benefit to the customers.

Anyway now I've switched to Electric Ireland (still processing) on a day/night rate that is much better than anything I was quoted when i had the smart meter.

We're adding a second EV soon and this was definitely the way to go, especially since the day rate is subsidised by our solar also.

So, log story short, yes you can still request a day/night meter !

• Advertisement

Update - Electric Ireland have confrimed that I am able to swap to a day/night meter and ESB should be out soon to swap. Will keep you posted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,841 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Phew. I rang 2 weeks ago and asked for a more modern day/night meter and though they snuck in a smart meter

Advertisement