Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do with Savings

• 05-02-2022 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭

HI,

Iv got about 120k in savings - waiting for the right house to come up.

But taking longer than I though. Been looking 2 years now - nothing suitable.

Painful to think my 120k is really just being eaten away.

I dont want to go down the road of risky investments, just want my savings to keep up with inflation, or as near as can be. And relatively accessible - within a month or so.

Any advise on how i can do this?

What bank are giving the best interest on savings these days?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,146 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Savings rates as you probably know are poor, here's a good website to compare, if you lock it away for x number of years you will get a better rate but then sacrifice easy access to it.

https://www.bonkers.ie/compare-savings-accounts/

Another option might be to purchase Prize Bonds from the post office, no actual interest is given but the winning draws may give a better return than the banks, there's a thread on here that give people's experiences of them and returns....

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2056292513/25k-invested-in-prize-bonds/p1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

There aren't many viable options if you could need the cash any day now for a house deposit. There are no savings account that will give you anywhere close to the current rate of inflation. The only way to get this is by investing, but over the longer term, not for a few months unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Agree with the above, if you have zero tolerance for volatility and/or want your cash available at very short notice, there aren't really any options which is worth your while (you might find options with zero volatility which are slightly better than a bank deposit, but the after-tax returns will be so tiny that you will have to ask yourself if the overhead and possible additional admin work to access your cash compared to a bank deposit are worth your while).

If you have a slightly longer time horizon (at least 6 months and ideally a year), you might want to look at very defensive investment trusts such as Personal Assets Trust or Ruffer Investment Company. Those are multi-asset funds (cash, bonds, stocks, gold, etc) which are designed to protect your capital from inflation as much as possible while limiting volatility (compared to more "usual" funds, capital protection is a higher priority to them than capital appreciation). They have a good track record of delivering yields clearly above inflation , with very few occurrences of share price depreciation in any 12 months period. But since the funds are invested on financial markets, of course they can't guarantee zero volatility and for example Personal Asset Trust had a 11% drawdown during the March 2020 Covid market crash (it is a much lower drawdown than the stock market and the price fully recovered within 3 months, but had you needed the money exactly at that time it would have been a concern).

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Do not invest in ANY type of equity or similar investment unless you have at least a four or five year horizon. There is no such thing as defense equity fund, it’s a marketing term, it just means a bit less risky. If you go against the general tenants of investing you should not be surprised if you get your fingers burned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

As I mentioned, those aren’t stocks-only funds. Currently PAT are holding more cash equivalent and bonds than stocks, and they also have a bit of gold.

Given the current negative real rates available to depositors, IMO staying 100% in cash or equivalent unless someone’s time horizon is at least 4 years would be a mistake for most people. Sure you are guaranteed to maintain your capital in nominal terms, but you are also guaranteed to lose purchasing power every year (with our latest inflation figures, you suffered a loss of about 5% last year - the figure could be higher or lower in a years time but what’s pretty much for sure is that adjusted for inflation cash will offer a negative return once more).

Post edited by Bob24 on

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

When I started out in financial services the inflation rate was 19%. I have spent over thirty years providing performance and analysis and I have heard every story and every excuse. I will say it again, do not be surprised if you get your fingers burned when you ignore the tenants. At the end of the day it is you money and your plus those that may depend upon you are the ones to bear the consequences.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

That's utterly mad advice in the circumstances.

Given that it'll be short term and security of capital is paramount investment funds are no place to be.

p.s. The funds you've mentioned aren't extraordinary in any way, apart from not being authorised by the CB of I, and being possibly designated in STG£

Advertisement