Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meta considers shutting down Facebook and Instagram in Europe

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,846 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

• Registered Users Posts: 22,425 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

All apps and platforms are replacable, and any business that solely relies on facebook for marketing and advertising is doing it wrong, or trying to manipulate peiple into buying their product through Facebook's dishonest and manipulative algorithm, so **** them too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Class, I can see a massive decrease in the level of narcissism within Europe.

There’s not a lot of apps that are like Facebook or Instagram and they’re loss to Europe would be massive.

i don’t use either, but to say they wouldn’t be missed is nonsense plain and simple. What you’re basically trying to say is “I don’t use these apps and therefore they are useless”, but that’s just plain wrong, objectively. Facebook alone is massive for businesses & even just regular folks trying to sell things. The Mrs browses it on occasion and it’s by far more active and user friendly than adverts & I imagine done deal. It’s free to post an ad & you can manage the whole thing through Facebook which for most people is absolutely ideal!

As for businesses, many promote their business and products on Facebook, they can do so for free and I dare say we’ve all clicked the Facebook link when we google a business name to find out something quickly. Opening hours, website, phone number etc. It would be devastating to businesses across the country, overnight they have lost the, I repeat, free advertising and reach to their customers.

This would be catastrophic to users & non-users, especially businesses. It’s very unlikely to happen, obviously, but regardless to suggest it would be no big deal is absolutely ridiculous. It would be absolutely major.

• Advertisement

I think I put my geansaí down somewhere but can't find it now

• Registered Users Posts: 7,579 ✭✭✭Tow

Young people do not use Facebook, it is dieing a slow death anyway.

Viber is a direct replacement for Whatsapp.

Instagram, never used it!

It would just add to the long list: BBSes, IRC, ICQ, Compuserve, Geocities, AOL, Yahoo, Yahoo Messenger, Yahoo groups, Bebo, Webcrawer etc.

Does anyone have the breakdown of number of Irish Vs Foreign employees in the Meta/Facebook offices?

It may even help to reduce the housing crisis!

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

I don't know of any logical fallacy called the 'Absolute Fallacy'

Could you point out which parts of my statement are a logical fallacy and why?

Well it's a bit silly for a randomer on the internet to be trying to slag him off for his life having no meaning. The fella started, and has managed to remain at the helm of one of the largest companies in the world. You could be philosophical and argue that it must be difficult for anything to have meaning to him, but if he packed it in tomorrow, he could do what he wants, when he wants, and where he wants. He could buy Hugh Heffner's old mansion and stock it with his own harem of playboy bunnies, or he could go saving some endangered turtle from extinction in backofbeyondland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭mcburns07

I use Instagram on a daily basis so you're wrong in your assertions. It's also untrue that it's free, if you want to get any sort of reach with advertising on any of their platforms you need to pay, it has been that way for a long time.

Nobody said removing these platforms 'wouldn't be missed'

The argument against facebook inc. is that removing these platforms would not be a net loss to the world

The same services could be provided by alternative platforms but without the negative outcomes caused by Facebook's business model and total disregard for the negative consequences their platform causes on individual, political and societal levels

Facebook threatening to withdraw from the EU in order to try to stop the introduction of regulations that would hamper their business model is why I and others are calling for the EU to agree to their offer, introduce those regulations and dare Facebook to withdraw or else allow less dangerous alternatives to take their place

I have no interest in these platforms, I do however want my brother to keep his great job.

So hopefully it doesn't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,483 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

That Zuckerberg is some boyo … “don’t give us what we want, well.. we’ll just take everything from you…”

he figures that Facebook is so indelibly important in most peoples lives now that if he threatens them and their governments they roll over….

the name for a person like that is a ‘bully’….and a few more adjectives…

• Registered Users Posts: 12,486 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

All Eyes On Rafah

There is enough value in Facebook's european operations that I would hope that they agree to abide by the new EU privacy regulations, this would require that facebook increases investment to meet those higher standards

That would be a win for facebook employees, EU consumers, and the stability of European democratic institutions

The alternative is caving to Facebook and screwing everyone except Facebook's billionaire owners and investors

• Registered Users Posts: 5,221 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Yep, Facebook is replaceable. How long would it take to replace? Years likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

This is just a hissy fit, nothing will happen. That said, if Facebook, Instagram and the likes disappeared overnight, it would be interesting to see the effect on society. Might be good for people, particularly the young, to not obsess over the likes of influencers lounging about in Dubai.

Not sure what's going on with WhatsApp but I've noticed more and more of my contacts popping up on Signal and Telegram lately.

Facebook is in terminal decline with or without Europe so all those business relying on it better starting investing in a decent website or another alternative. Any business that relies solely on Facebook isn't worth a pish.

The internet is a big, wide, world. Once upon a time we couldn't foresee a life without MySpace or MSN.

I would say this story is as much pr from Facebook pushing in an effort to influence regulation as much as they can. Paint it as big bad EU. When realistically it's because we maintain far higher degrees of data privacy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Shao Kahn

Having all of his wealth, would not be enough compensation for having to wake up being him everyday! Too big a price.

You've touched on part of the problem there too. The reason his network was so wildly successful, was because he essentially played pied-piper to the most egotistical shallow and materialistic generation in human history. He turned people's everyday lives into a commodity, and used people's innate insecurities as a useful hook to keep them hopelessly addicted and coming back for more. It's the social interaction equivalent to binge eating junk food.

People used to have a small notebook with all of the most important phone no's/addresses of friends family etc. You'd throw it in a drawer in a safe spot, forget about it, and then go off and live your life. Zuckerberg managed to convince an entire generation to effectively live inside that notebook 24/7, engaging in mostly pointless garbage interactions and largely distracted from actually living their lives. It was fuel for the fodder in their minds. And it worked like a charm! (sadly)

So yeah, I'm not a fan of Zuckerberg or his horrible network. He's a boring little power hungry nerd, devoid of any real personality. I don't want to live inside of his creation. I know how people like him view society, and I don't want any part of his vision for the world.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives, and it puts itself into our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." (John Wayne)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,051 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭MarkEadie

This is a nightmare. As a youngster I have to say that Insta is a great tool for showing off your life and meeting women. Meet them on Tinder, direct them to Insta and it's game ball. Take away Insta and that affects things greatly!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,992 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Amazing how many people blame social media, rather than the users. It's the modern version of blaming the paper manufacturers when you didn't like what was printed in the newspaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,824 ✭✭✭✭Penn

My only concern if Facebook shut down in Europe is that I'd have to put up with my mother asking me to fix Facebook for about 4 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,008 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Those folks saying that Facebook, Instagram, WhatsApp etc. are indispensable … do you get that that, in itself, is a problem? It’s the proverbial “all eggs in one basket” scenario, or what I would call a “single point of failure”. It’s good business sense to avoid that altogether.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

There is more than enough tech work floating around Ireland at the moment that even if Facebook did shutdown their Irish operations, nobody would realistically be out of a job.

Most likely someone else such as Google or TikTok would strike a deal to take over the Facebook building and hire half of the people in it.

There is no magic in Facebook or Instagram. An alternative can be spun up by a team of ten people in a couple of days. The hardest part is scaling it to work responsively for millions of concurrent users without bankrupting yourself.

I'd say you're right. He probably goes to bed every night crying that he won't wake up as yourself!

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

Well he may have all the money in the world, but there's one thing he can't buy.

A Dinosaur!

• Advertisement

Here they claim that if they are not processing data in the jurisdiction(Australia in this case) then they are not subject to the laws of the Jurisdiction.

Facebook is basically writing the Data Commissioner's submissions to E.U. these days and the Data Commissioner tried to argue to their E.U. peers that Facebook's customers were actually in a contract with Facebook which absolved them of all rules under GDPR.

https://www.theregister.com/2021/11/24/max_schrems_files_corruption_complaint/

Advertisement