Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NDLS - National Driver Licence Service centres (Qs, waiting times, etc)

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭tanko

My local office was doing walk ins before xmas anyway, knock on the door and if they’re not busy in you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Bobby6752

Passed my driving test today and when applying for the full license online it shows my preview license and it has an old photo from my public service card that I got a couple of years back on it. Is there any way to change this or to use the photo that I had on the provisional license? I'd rather not go into the actual centre as I'll be waiting for a week or 2 before I get a date.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,995 ✭✭✭opus

I was in the one in Cork yesterday to renew my license (expired since May last year) & pretty sure one or two people were walk ins while I was there. Most did have appointments though as they did check on a list when I rang the door bell.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭zg3409

Any idea how long you can leave an expired licence stay expired before you need to resit driving test to renew?

A friend had no car, licence is out nearly a year, he may delay renewing if he can delay another year or two as he had no intention of driving again any time soon.

I checked ndls website, no answer, I emailed them so I should get a response eventually. I presume there is some time limit. Get got an extra year free due to covid, and I was pushing him to renew in case he ever needed to drive in the future he might need to resit test.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Fattybojangles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭MacConmheadha

When renewing your license what are the options for updating your photo that will be on the license?

I have a public service card but I don’t want to use the picture on it as my license picture for various reasons.

If I make an in person appointment will a picture be taken? Or can I provide a new picture myself when applying in person? Or even online?

The NDLS website is useless for answering any of this…

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

A new photo is taken on the day when you are there in person. It was for my father who renewed recently.

AFAIK the public service card is just used as identification.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭have2flushtwice

Hi,

I have the theory test coming up shortly to allow me to pull a 4 wheel trailer. It's the b I think, I haven't got my licence with me to check right now.

Where can I find the theory questions? I was on the ndls website and they want me to pay for them. I'm already paying for the theory test....

Am i missing a free link somewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭stepster

Hi,

About a month ago I realised my Driving Licence lapsed in March. Total oversight. I booked an appointment in the local NDLS centre. I wasn't able to get it until this week as it was booked solid and I don't have a Public services card. I had naively believed I would get the licence there and then but now I realise it will be sent out at a later date. We are off to France on Friday on the ferry and I'm obviously worried about the implications of being stopped in France without a valid licence. Will the NDLS people be taking my old licence or can I keep it and explain that my new one is in the post - or will they be able to give some sort of proof of application?

Any help would be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,198 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I'm pretty sure they keep the old licence.

However, if you lost/cannot find the old licence, there is a Garda stamped form they will accept that states you have reported it lost.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭december2019

Should I renew my learner permit?

My second learner permit is due to expire in mid August.

I've a driving test booked for late July.

I just recieved an email about renewing the permit.

Would I be better off renewing now or holding out to see how the test goes?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

Why make an appointment? You can just renew online and it will be with you in a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,465 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

My father driving lenience needed to be renewed in mid June. He did it by post but we still haven't heard back from them. Anybody know what the turn around time for is by post?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 rose_2

Hi, I’m renewing my licence in person today. I have a notation on the licence that says I need glasses. As part of the renewal do I need an updated sight test or will they just copy over the record? Thanks in advance for any help - I’m frantically ringing around for a sight test this morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,282 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Is a medical report required to renew Categories C1 and C1 E on my driving licence.?? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Redberry

I renewed online on Thursday and it arrived today, yay! Good service :)

• Registered Users Posts: 45 MV33

Past my test on the 23rd Sept and applied and got approved for my Drivers licence on the same day.

still no dispatch txt and nothing in the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭donkey balls

Yep a medical is needed make sure you get the appointment with 28 days of doing the medical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Peig Sayers

Renewed my license a few months ago and only got a 7 year licence? Takes me up to 70. Thought if you renewed before 65 you got a 10 year licence?

Right so just renewed my licence online and was surprised that they even had the details for the Bus test I did back in December 2021, Thought I would need to upload the slip you get when you pass the test.

My question is how come the trailer category hasn't been added to the bus but I have it for the car and trucks? I always believed that once you have the artic licence that the trailer category was added automatically to other categories.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Jahcork

does anyone know if they accept screenshots on your phone when applying in person or must you print out the documents ? as i don’t own a printer

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Any one know how long the licence takes getting to you? Just need it for work asap and they're looking for a date if I can get it. It says 5-9 working days on the application but I know people getting passports nearly the next day and I'm hoping it's something similar with the licence.

I renewed a Permit and a got a full licence this year on both occasions it took the five days!

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭eirlink

they dont keep old licence if its in date, they may if its expired.

So eventually got the licence back minus the trailer for both Bus&mini bus, Contacted NDLS and they tried to tell me I wasn't entitled to that category and that a Bus category was higher than an Artic licence, Told them not to worry and I would contact the RSA licensing dept they ended up calling me and said that I was entitled to the bus&trailer licence and that it be posted out to me. This is not the first time that I have heard of the NDLS taking categories of peoples licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 alexpowermetal

Hi. Anyone applied for first time driving licence recently? What's wait time from day you applied to the day you got it in the post? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Noelie155

Applied for my first time license on the 18th of August. Nothing received yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭lizzyjane

SOrry to dig an old thread up. Applied for my driving licence on my gov/ndls websites and when I paid, it gave me a picture of my new license with numbers and my picture on it etc.

I presume this is okay to drive on now seen as I have an electronic version of the license while I am waiting for the physical card in the post?

Thanks.

Advertisement