Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just like starting over:The quest for a sub 18 5k

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Back in Black

Sat 1st May: 2 mile easy on grass followed by 4 x 10 sec strides with 15 sec recovery. 2.3 miles @ 8:48 avg pace. Nice and handy late evening run.

Sun 2nd May: 1/2 Marathon TT or fast tempo @ sub 6:50 pace:
    Went for the half marathon time trial to see where it would take me and decided to do my up and down loop that I’ve done the last few tempos on as I’m familiar with it and its been good to me lately!! Started out early and first few miles flew by. Took a gel after 6 miles but no water as my water wasn’t where I had left it out on the route earlier. Didn’t take the second gel which may have been the wrong call. Definitely struggled from mile 10 on and this is where it would have been so much easier in a race. Was hanging on for dear life near the end to finish in 1:28:04. Initially disappointed to be 1 minute behind my PB but that didn’t last long. So satisfied at a good honest blow-out. Avg pace was 6:43.

Splits: 6:32; 6:40; 6:41; 6:40; 6:48; 6:37; 6:42; 6:50; 6:47; 6:45; 6:58; 6:42; 6:39; 40 secs.

Total: 15 miles

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

that's a solid run for a solo HM! Top marks.

Something to build on and improve.

Bit behind here again but plugging away solidly since Half marathon time trial and got a place in Thoroughbred half on the 20th June so nice to have something to focus on.

Monday May 3rd: Rest

Tues 4th May: 4 mile easy @ 8:03 avg pace. Lunchtime run – legs felt tired and heavy

Wed 5th May: 5 mile easy @ 8:14 avg pace. Another handy run while kids were at Athletics training

Thurs 6th May: 4 mile with 1 @ 6:24 avg pace. Had planned a bit more and faster but knew the body wasn’t ready or able for it so pulled the plug after a mile. No point flogging a dead horse.

Fri 7th May: 6.5 mile @ 8:44 avg pace. A very tired 6am run with running buddy.

Sat 8th May: Rest

Sun 9th May : 11 mile @ 8:31 avg pace. Had company for this around the forest trails and first time all week that I felt good on a run. Really enjoyed this!

Weekly Total: 30.5 miles

Mon 10th May: 7 mile easy: 7 easy@ 8:24 avg pace: Nice and early 6am run with company around the local gaa pitch track.

Tues 11th May: 4 x 1mile in 6:00 with 95 sec rec: Headed out straight after work for this. Splits for the miles were 5:58; 5:55; 5:57; 5:59. Happy with this – felt good and strong. Total: 6.6 miles

Wed 12th May: 11 mile @ 8:34 – had to fit this in early so arranged to meet running buddy at 6am. Got out at 5:30 for a few miles before he arrived and then finished slow.

Thurs 13th May: Rest

Fri 14th May: 6 mile @ 7:20 pace / 3 min jog / 2 x 800m in 3:10 with 60 sec rec: Out again straight after work and down to the pitch track. Splits for first 6 7:16; 7:06; 7:07; 7:13; 7:11; 6:58; 800s were 2:58 and 2:56. Two 800s were interesting as was racing a tractor that was moving h beams across the bottom of the track so had to race it and stay clear of it a few times - a nice distraction though!!
    Total 9.2 miles

Sat 15th May:7 miles @ 8:16 – another early morning handy run.

Sun 16th May: 14 miles @ 7:17: Out mid morning for this and felt tired going into it so was a little wary of this. Misjudged the pace and the distance. First mile was nearly perfect so zoned out after it and wasn’t watching the watch. Started feeling tired over last 3 miles or so.

Weekly total: 54.9miles

Mon 17th May: 7 @ 8:16 avg pace. Caught for time as I was on my lunchbreak so had to leave it at 7. Legs felt good.

Tues 18th May:7 mile @ 8:32 – 6am handy run with running buddy. Got the call and felt good so didn’t want to let him down.

Wed 19th May: 3 mile @ 6:20 pace / 3min jog/ 8 x 400m in 85 sec(5:30 pace ) with 60 sec rec /2min jog / 1 mile @ 6:00 pace Out straight after work for this after a busy stressful day. Took a while to unwind and relax into this but eventually did. First 3 6:22; 6:23; 6:15 400s – 82;81; 81;82; 82;82;82; 81. Very happy with this and especially with the 400mtrs – nice consistency and felt controlled. Total 7.5 miles

Thurs 20th May: Free

Fri 21st May: 8 mile tempo @ 6:45 pace. Another straight after work run down to the football pitch as was pressed for time. Hit the pace early and settled into the run. 6:32; 6:36; 6:39; 6:41; 6:36; 6:35; 6:37; 6:40. Happy with this. Total 8. 5 miles.

Sat 22nd May: 8 easy @ 8:08 avg pace – Nice and handy mid afternoon run.

Sun 23rd May: 3 x 3 mile @ 6:50 pace with 1 mile rec in 8:30 – Battle against the weather for this but eventually found a window to get out but was a very hilly route and it was very window so tougher than it needed to be. Still very happy with the splits 7:05; 6:52; 6:47; 6:51;6:57; 6:42; 6:43; 6:53; 6:42.

Total: 13 miles

Weekly Total: 51 miles

Mon 24th May: 8 mile @ 8:44 – Out at 6 am for this on heavy legs. Had company with me for most of it. Left it at 8 as was under a bit of time pressure.

Tues 25th May: 4 mile @ 6:20 pace / 3 min jog / 3 x 800m in 2:50 ( 5:40 mile pace ) with 60 sec rec
    - Out straight after work for this and ran down to the football pitch. Hit my stride fairly quickly for the 4 miles. 6:18; 6:18;6:18; 6:21. Splits for the 800s were 2:51; 2:47; 2:47. Nicely goosed after this but enjoyed it. Total: 7 miles

Wed 26th May: 7.5 miles @ 8:42 avg pace Another easy 6am run with company.

Thurs 27th May: 4 mile tempo@ 6:50,6:40,6:35,6:30 pace Out straight after work for this and a quick jog down to the pitch for a warm-up. Splits for tempo 6:43; 6:34; 6:35; 6:21. Total 5.5 miles

Fri 28th May: 7 mile easy @ 8:37
    as was planning to do a 10k time trial on Sunday. Out at 6 am for this. Followed it by circuit training in the evening – was meant to be cardio but ended up being weights – lots of weighted lunges and squats.

Sat 29th May: Rest

Sun 30th May: 6 mile easy @ 8:24
    – Headed out early to do a 10k time trial but gave up on the idea after a half a mile as the legs were in bits from DOMS after the circuits. Just turned this into an easy run to loosen the legs up a bit. Didn’t really work!!

Weekly Total: 41 miles

Mon May 31st: 10 mile @ 8:31 – Out at 5:30am for this and legs were still stiff and non responsive for first few miles. Running buddy joined me after about 4 mile and the rest flew by.

Monthly Total: 204.7 miles

Tuesday 1st Jun: 6 mile easy @ 8:09 avg pace. Nice and handy lunchtime run from home.

Wed 2nd Jun: 7 mile tempo 5@ 6:45 last 2 @:6:40 pace. Out straight after work and headed for my usual lumpy tempo loop around town. Eased into the pace after a warm-up and sound found my rhythm. Splits were 6:39; 6:44; 6:43; 6:46; 6:46; 6:39; 6:41. Very happy with this run especially on the route and with the heat. Total 8.5 miles

Thurs 3rd Jun: Rest

Fri 4th Jun: 5 mile easy followed by 6 x 10 sec strides – 5 easy @ 8:39 Out at 6am for this on my own. Threw in the strides over the last half mile. Felt good.

Sat 5th Jun: 12 mile @ 7:00. Same route as Wednesday – just an extra loop!. Again focussed on easing into the pace and while it was hot and muggy I was never in trouble. Splits 7:02; 6:47; 6:53;6:51; 6:49; 6:50;6:50 6:52; 6:52;6:52; 6:55: 6:44; Avg pace 6:51. Total 13 mile.

Sun 6th Jun: 8 mile @ 8:31. Creaky starting out after a long walk earlier. But eventually got going and the body started moving more freely.

Weekly Total: 49.5 miles

Mon 7th Jun: 12 x 400m in 85/87 sec with 70 sec rec: Out nice and early for this and down to the local gaa pitch track. Easy jog down as warm-up. Splits as follows: 86; 82; 83; 84;84;85; 83;84;83; 82;82; 84. Happy with this and was nice and comfortable for the whole lot. Total 6 miles with warm-up and cool down.

Tues 8th Jun: 6am run with running buddy on tired legs. He was doing 6 so left it at that. 6miles @8:47

Wed 9th Jun: 2mile @ 6:20 pace / 3 min rec /15 x 35 sec hill reps / 2min rec/ 2 mile @ 6:15 pace. Headed out straight after work for this and got stuck in after an easy warm-up jog. First two mile @ 6:22; 6:19 and then into the hills. Again focussed on hitting the same spot consistently and managed that each time. Last two miles 6:02 & 6:13. Very happy with this but nothing left in the tank afterwards!! Total: 7 miles

Thurs 10th Jun: 9 mile @ 7:56 avg pace. Late evening run out in the forest park trails – really enjoyed this one!

Fri 11th Jun: 5 x 1 mile @ 6:25 with 1 mile rec in 7:20: Late evening run for this. First run in new runners - hate the latest adrenalines so went with Mizuno's for the first time but also have a pair of adrenaline 20s on order from Amazon.de so will alternate between them.

Started this with a nice and easy 8:13 mile and then into the fast miles. Had to really focus on keeping the slower miles at that pace after the first one was done in 7:03! Splits for faster miles. 6:20; 6:28; 6:31; 6:30; 6:32. Not a perfect session but the humidity was also a factor and the legs were getting heavy towards the end. A good workout though. Total: 10 miles

Sat 12th Jun: Rest

Sun 13th Jun: Plan - 14 mile easy. This ended up being a horrible slog and pulled the plug after 8 miles. Was out early hoping to avoid the heat but it was still very humid when I got out. Zoned out after a mile and wasn’t checking the pace where I should have been as the legs were speeding up. From the 5th mile I was feeling horrible but struggled on for a few more miles before pulling the plug as I had no energy left and was sweating copiously. Figured there was no point flogging a dead horse in the heat. Total 8 miles @ 8:05 avg pace.

Weekly Total: 46 miles

Fri 11th Jun: 5 x 1 mile @ 6:25 with 1 mile rec in 7:20: Late evening run for this. First run in new runners - hate the latest adrenalines so went with Mizuno's for the first time but also have a pair of adrenaline 20s on order from Amazon.de so will alternate between them.

[/B]

What! No Endorphin Speeds / Vapourflys / NB RC Elite v2 / Metaspeeds etc etc

Nice work !!

• Advertisement

What! No Endorphin Speeds / Vapourflys / NB RC Elite v2 / Metaspeeds etc etc

Nice work !!

:o:o:o:o:o My Endorphin pro speeds arrived today :o:o:o

Monday 14th June: 4 mile @ 6:35 pace / 3min jog / 12 x 200meters 45 sec with 50 sec rec: Only chance to slot this one in was very early so got up at 5:30am and headed down to the local pitch track. Surprisingly hit the right pace early on and stuck with it. First 4 @ 6:35; 6:29; 6:25; 6:25 and then into the 12 x 200mtrs focussing on form and consistency. Very happy with this. Total 7 miles with recovery

Tues 15th Jun: 7 mile @ 7:42 avg pace Ended up doing this while young lad was at football training. Only got to 7 mile by the time he was finished so left it at that.

Wed 16th Jun: 6 mile easy: Another 6 am start – met running buddy for this and done a nice and steady 6 mile @ 8:26 avg pace.

Thurs 17th Jun: 2 mile easy followed by 2 x 1 mile @ 6:30 pace with 1/2 mile rec in 4mins
    Treated myself to a pair of endorphins so they arrived in the post today and was looking forward to trying them out. Got out late evening and done a easy 2 mile down to football pitch (7:35;7:41). 2 fast miles were in 6:23 and 6:28. Total: 5 miles

Fri 18th Jun: Rest

Sat 19th Jun: 2 mile easy followed by 5 x 12 sec strides with 10 sec rec: Total 2.25miles @ 8:04 avg pace – wore the endorphins again.

Sun 20th Jun: Kildare Half – 1:26:00

Was looking forward to this one and went in putting myself under no pressure – trying to convince myself it was just good to get back running. I was confident though that if things lined up, I could knock a bit of my PB. Training had gone well and I was consistently nailing the big tempo sessions over the last few months. The time trial I had done had also given me a fair bit of confidence

Set the alarm for 6:30, had my usual porridge for breakfast a banana and a glass of water with hydration tablets in it. Brought a few breakfast bars to munch in the car, plenty of water and headed off. Arrived with loads of time to spare and done the whole checking in. I knew from the emails during the week that we would be walked to the start and was told to be back at 9:45 for this. Done a warm-up jog, went to the bathroom a few times and was back at the spot with a few minutes to spare at 9:45. 9:45 came and went with people still checking in with the steward. Checked to make sure I was in the right spot and was told I was and to wait to be brought to the start. Sun was coming out strong now so was getting anxious to get going. I struck up a conversation with a lad waiting too and he told me it was his first real race. The alarm bells started going off in my head as I knew it was wave starts – a look around the square told me that most of the people were already gone to the start!! It was now 9:55 and there was only about 30 people waiting still. A chat with the steward confirmed my suspicions and somehow I had missed my wave being walked to the start. After a mini panic attack, I composed myself and confirmed that I could go with the last wave. Eventually got the call to walk down to the start at 10:05.

Initially walking down, I was very annoyed – not with anyone in particular but with the circumstances. I was standing in the heat unnecessarily for 20 minutes, I needed the bathroom again, had no water with me. The idea of driving 2 hours across country was that I could run with people in a race setting – I could have done a half marathon time trial on my own and saved myself the hassle of the trip down etc,etc.

Snapped out of it and started chatting to the people around me – most doing their first race and really relaxed and enjoying the experience. A few commented that I was in the wrong place (head was swelling as was thinking I must look like a finely tuned athlete :o:o but turns out they knew by the number I was given that I was meant to be in the first wave. Had a good laugh on the walk down then which changed my focus and relaxed me no end. Sometimes we take this racing/ chasing PBs lark way too seriously and forget the other great things about running we are lucky to enjoy.

After a quick briefing from the marshalls we were lined up to go. I asked the starter the way to make sure and he told me to go straight down the road and then turn right! So after a countdown we were off and I flew out of the traps like a man on a mission down a long straight road. Seen the right turn ahead and took it to hear a lot of shouting behind me which made me realise that it was the next right turn I should be taking :o

I settled down to the task at hand then and a quick glance at the pace at the 1st km marker told me I was running at 6:24 pace so dialled it in a bit!! Entered the national stud at some stage then and enjoyed the change in scenery and soon started seeing people ahead and was picking them off. Felt really good and strong over the first 2 miles and was delighted with how I was feeling and was enjoying passing people out. I had in my head to keep the first 3 miles at close to 6:40 pace and see where I was after that. When 3rd mile beeped at 6:25 I knew I was in a good place as felt really comfortable and was moving well. Told myself not to get carried away and keep the head. Next two miles flew by and was still feeling good. 6:35; 6:37: 6:25; 6:28; 6:23;

Next two miles had the only real bit of climb in the race so took a gel and eased off, knowing also that there was a water stop also. Took the gel and after a few anxious seconds as the stomach protested, all was good again and took water onboard also. Was focussing now on getting to the half way mark and then pushing on a bit if I was still feeling as good. 6:39; 6:38;

Was a wee bit miffed at the 6:38 7th mile and started to get more focussed and was now passing lots of groups. Another wee chat to myself and was thinking get to mile ten with some time in the bank and see where I am then for the push from home. Went from feeling like I was in the wacky races on mile 8, the rate I was passing people and the lift I was getting from this, to then at about mile 9 feeling like I was starting to suffer in the heat and would start leaking time. Focussed on the time I knew I had in the bank and just putting one foot in front of the other. Hit the last water table around the 9.5 mile mark and didn’t trust the stomach with water so poured it all straight over my head. 6:30; 6:30; 6:29;

Was still passing people out now but not at the same rate and was really finding it tough. The crowd ahead was thinning out so not as much to focus on up the road ahead. A sheep crossed my path about 2 mile from home and I thought that might be the end of me but thankfully no real issues! There were a few spectators over the last 2 miles but I was in a world of pain and the focus was now on just getting to the finish line. Again the internal chat was about the time in the bank and told myself that even a 7:00 last mile and a bit would still bring a big pb. Mile 11 beeped at 6:35 and when mile 12 beeped at 6:32, I kept thinking of Tommy Tiernan’s joke about his mate Declan from Glenamaddy doing his first marathon and was in so much trouble he couldn’t slow down. :D

Into the last mile and was again hunting down people and was delighted when the watch beeped at 6:30. Was entertaining thoughts of a quick finish until I seen that we were finishing at the top of a motorway flyover so thoughts just turned to finishing it out and the legs not seizing with cramp. Did a bit of a mini sprint/ fast shuffle over the last 50 mtrs but honestly there was nothing left to give at that stage. 1:09 (6:31 pace)

Stopped the watch at 1:26:01 and absolutely delighted with taking over a minute of the pb. Later on got official results and gained a second for 1:26 even!!

Got some water on board and got back into the car and headed for home thrilled with how it went. Definitely something nice about passing people out in a race for the whole way. Endorphins felt good and will definitely be using them for tempo runs and races from here on it.

Next target is Antrim Coast HM at the end of August so will get the head down again for another training block!

Weekly total: 42.25 miles

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Monday 14th June: 4 mile @ 6:35 pace / 3min jog / 12 x 200meters 45 sec with 50 sec rec: Only chance to slot this one in was very early so got up at 5:30am and headed down to the local pitch track. Surprisingly hit the right pace early on and stuck with it. First 4 @ 6:35; 6:29; 6:25; 6:25 and then into the 12 x 200mtrs focussing on form and consistency. Very happy with this. Total 7 miles with recovery

Tues 15th Jun: 7 mile @ 7:42 avg pace Ended up doing this while young lad was at football training. Only got to 7 mile by the time he was finished so left it at that.

Wed 16th Jun: 6 mile easy: Another 6 am start – met running buddy for this and done a nice and steady 6 mile @ 8:26 avg pace.

Thurs 17th Jun: 2 mile easy followed by 2 x 1 mile @ 6:30 pace with 1/2 mile rec in 4mins
    Treated myself to a pair of endorphins so they arrived in the post today and was looking forward to trying them out. Got out late evening and done a easy 2 mile down to football pitch (7:35;7:41). 2 fast miles were in 6:23 and 6:28. Total: 5 miles

Fri 18th Jun: Rest

Sat 19th Jun: 2 mile easy followed by 5 x 12 sec strides with 10 sec rec: Total 2.25miles @ 8:04 avg pace – wore the endorphins again.

Sun 20th Jun: Kildare Half – 1:26:00

Was looking forward to this one and went in putting myself under no pressure – trying to convince myself it was just good to get back running. I was confident though that if things lined up, I could knock a bit of my PB. Training had gone well and I was consistently nailing the big tempo sessions over the last few months. The time trial I had done had also given me a fair bit of confidence

Set the alarm for 6:30, had my usual porridge for breakfast a banana and a glass of water with hydration tablets in it. Brought a few breakfast bars to munch in the car, plenty of water and headed off. Arrived with loads of time to spare and done the whole checking in. I knew from the emails during the week that we would be walked to the start and was told to be back at 9:45 for this. Done a warm-up jog, went to the bathroom a few times and was back at the spot with a few minutes to spare at 9:45. 9:45 came and went with people still checking in with the steward. Checked to make sure I was in the right spot and was told I was and to wait to be brought to the start. Sun was coming out strong now so was getting anxious to get going. I struck up a conversation with a lad waiting too and he told me it was his first real race. The alarm bells started going off in my head as I knew it was wave starts – a look around the square told me that most of the people were already gone to the start!! It was now 9:55 and there was only about 30 people waiting still. A chat with the steward confirmed my suspicions and somehow I had missed my wave being walked to the start. After a mini panic attack, I composed myself and confirmed that I could go with the last wave. Eventually got the call to walk down to the start at 10:05.

Initially walking down, I was very annoyed – not with anyone in particular but with the circumstances. I was standing in the heat unnecessarily for 20 minutes, I needed the bathroom again, had no water with me. The idea of driving 2 hours across country was that I could run with people in a race setting – I could have done a half marathon time trial on my own and saved myself the hassle of the trip down etc,etc.

Snapped out of it and started chatting to the people around me – most doing their first race and really relaxed and enjoying the experience. A few commented that I was in the wrong place (head was swelling as was thinking I must look like a finely tuned athlete :o:o but turns out they knew by the number I was given that I was meant to be in the first wave. Had a good laugh on the walk down then which changed my focus and relaxed me no end. Sometimes we take this racing/ chasing PBs lark way too seriously and forget the other great things about running we are lucky to enjoy.

After a quick briefing from the marshalls we were lined up to go. I asked the starter the way to make sure and he told me to go straight down the road and then turn right! So after a countdown we were off and I flew out of the traps like a man on a mission down a long straight road. Seen the right turn ahead and took it to hear a lot of shouting behind me which made me realise that it was the next right turn I should be taking :o

I settled down to the task at hand then and a quick glance at the pace at the 1st km marker told me I was running at 6:24 pace so dialled it in a bit!! Entered the national stud at some stage then and enjoyed the change in scenery and soon started seeing people ahead and was picking them off. Felt really good and strong over the first 2 miles and was delighted with how I was feeling and was enjoying passing people out. I had in my head to keep the first 3 miles at close to 6:40 pace and see where I was after that. When 3rd mile beeped at 6:25 I knew I was in a good place as felt really comfortable and was moving well. Told myself not to get carried away and keep the head. Next two miles flew by and was still feeling good. 6:35; 6:37: 6:25; 6:28; 6:23;

Next two miles had the only real bit of climb in the race so took a gel and eased off, knowing also that there was a water stop also. Took the gel and after a few anxious seconds as the stomach protested, all was good again and took water onboard also. Was focussing now on getting to the half way mark and then pushing on a bit if I was still feeling as good. 6:39; 6:38;

Was a wee bit miffed at the 6:38 7th mile and started to get more focussed and was now passing lots of groups. Another wee chat to myself and was thinking get to mile ten with some time in the bank and see where I am then for the push from home. Went from feeling like I was in the wacky races on mile 8, the rate I was passing people and the lift I was getting from this, to then at about mile 9 feeling like I was starting to suffer in the heat and would start leaking time. Focussed on the time I knew I had in the bank and just putting one foot in front of the other. Hit the last water table around the 9.5 mile mark and didn’t trust the stomach with water so poured it all straight over my head. 6:30; 6:30; 6:29;

Was still passing people out now but not at the same rate and was really finding it tough. The crowd ahead was thinning out so not as much to focus on up the road ahead. A sheep crossed my path about 2 mile from home and I thought that might be the end of me but thankfully no real issues! There were a few spectators over the last 2 miles but I was in a world of pain and the focus was now on just getting to the finish line. Again the internal chat was about the time in the bank and told myself that even a 7:00 last mile and a bit would still bring a big pb. Mile 11 beeped at 6:35 and when mile 12 beeped at 6:32, I kept thinking of Tommy Tiernan’s joke about his mate Declan from Glenamaddy doing his first marathon and was in so much trouble he couldn’t slow down. :D

Into the last mile and was again hunting down people and was delighted when the watch beeped at 6:30. Was entertaining thoughts of a quick finish until I seen that we were finishing at the top of a motorway flyover so thoughts just turned to finishing it out and the legs not seizing with cramp. Did a bit of a mini sprint/ fast shuffle over the last 50 mtrs but honestly there was nothing left to give at that stage. 1:09 (6:31 pace)

Stopped the watch at 1:26:01 and absolutely delighted with taking over a minute of the pb. Later on got official results and gained a second for 1:26 even!!

Got some water on board and got back into the car and headed for home thrilled with how it went. Definitely something nice about passing people out in a race for the whole way. Endorphins felt good and will definitely be using them for tempo runs and races from here on it.

Next target is Antrim Coast HM at the end of August so will get the head down again for another training block!

Weekly total: 42.25 miles

Well done J, great running in tough conditions

I’ll see you in Antrim hopefully

TbL

Super result J - just super!

Your splits didn't change that much all through the race, despite the pain in the last 4 miles.

I wonder did being in the wrong wave help or hinder you - sounds like it helped you by passing so many?

Super result J - just super!

Your splits didn't change that much all through the race, despite the pain in the last 4 miles.

I wonder did being in the wrong wave help or hinder you - sounds like it helped you by passing so many?

Thanks - yeah was very happy with the last few miles in particular and being able to maintain the pace despite the discomfort.

Starting in the wrong wave was a massive help on the day as it was a great feeling constantly passing people and having targets on the road ahead to chase down. Not sure it would work in every race though!!

• Advertisement

Will attempt to bring this up to date!

So after Kildare HM, focus was on a sub 85 half and would then move onto the 5k and hopefully push for a sub 18 before year end.

June total mileage came in at 166.75

In July the target was build for Antrim HM at the end of August and hit 200miles. Ended up hitting 190 miles and hitting a lot of good sessions so was feeling good about Antrim.

August focus was on two races Kilbeggan 10 mile with target being to hit 10mile at sub 85 minute pace. Ended up pulling up after 2miles with a very tight hamstring and missing a lot of training. Missed Antrim also because of the hamstring but had entered Ratoath half as a back-up. Total mileage for August was 127.7 miles.

September focus was on Ratoath and once the hamstring was sorted I knuckled down to it.

Manged to hit 1:24:19 after running pretty much the perfect race. I got into a group early on and we stayed together keeping each other honest until the 10 mile mark and then I pushed for home. Monthly mileage was 180.8 miles

October was about one final Half marathon in Galway and then changing focus to the shorter stuff.

Galway Bay Half marathon: 1:23:39

Headed into this with no pressure on me as had a better than expected result in Ratoath. Part of me did really want the sub 1:24 so decided to give this a good go and see how I felt on the day. Weather was perfect starting out with no real wind at all and it was dry and cool.

I had a slow start as I started a long way back and took a while to get through the field but picked up the pace and finished very strong. Weather was almost perfect apart from a strong wind between miles 8 and 10 where I leaked a bit of time but overall delighted with the run. Splits were 6:30; 6:31; 6:19; 6:16: 6:22; 6:21; 6:20; 6:23; 6:29;6:40; 6:25; 6:15; 6:07 (5:16 pace for last bit).

Finished the month with 160 miles.

November was about building a bit of speed up after all the half marathon stuff but was coming into it in good shape with a lot of tempo runs and endurance work. Finished November with 181 miles.

For December, the focus was 2 5k races, using the tactic of having 2 to take the pressure off as I could always feck one up and have a fall back!!

First up was jingle bells 5k on 4th and came into it with a PB of 17:48 from 2015 and in truth hadn't got within an asses roar of that time since.

Jingle Bells 5k: 17:35. Splits 3:38;3:38; 3:33; 3:27;3:19. Went into this in fairly relaxed mood but unsure of where I was 5k wise but knew I had a solid block of training in the bank. Heard someone beside me on the start line say she was going to get to 3.5kms in good shape and then push on and thought it was a good solid way to hit the race especially with a good headwind at the start.  Managed the race very well and didn’t panic after 1st 2 kms were slower than I wanted and hit the gas over the last 1.5kms for a good solid finish and my second sub 18 5k ever and a massive goal hit!

Have another 5km this weekend in Drogheda and will go into that knowing I've already hit my target for the year - a nice place to be.

Great running J - solid 5km - pity I missed you on the day

Jesus for a lad with lots of positive updates you’ve been fairly reticent to come on here and tell us about it. 😳

Savage run in Galway didn’t even notice your name when I scanned the results.

You’ll absolutely flying it now, don’t be a stranger!

TbL

Edit: change your bloody log title now 🤣

TbL

Didn't even realise you were running until Murph_D said he had met you. You are in great shape too!

Will have to think about that one for a while!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Good to bump into you (and the young lad) after JB - didn't quite get there with remembering the name but got halfway. 😁

Good stuff, excellent result. I did Kilbeggan 10 and Galway Bay Half also. Now that you mention it, I think I remember seeing a runner walking back towards the start in Kilbeggan as I went out in the second wave. Glad also that I wasn't the only one who leaked time in miles 9-10 in Galway, it was pretty bleak at that point alright.

You're in super form, great to see.

You nearly got there :)

Yep I'd say that was me doing the long 2 mile walk back to the start along the hard shoulder. Was probably trying to keep the head down hoping no one would recognise me doing the walk of shame!!

Mon Dec 13th: 7 mile @ 8:05 av pace. Headed up to the GAA pitch track straight after work. Tuned out listening to Second Captains and kept the pace handy. 

Tues 14th Dec:  3 x 1 mile @ 6:12 pace with 1/2 mile rec: Working from home so straight out the door after work and got into this after a warm-up mile. Splits for the miles were 6:15; 6:21; 6:12. Wasn’t pushing overly hard with a race on Sunday but drifted off for the second one so determined to hit the pace on the final one which I just about managed to do. Total: 6 mile:

Wed 15th Dec: 5 mile @ 8:35 avg pace. Nice and handy 6am run with running buddy.

Thurs 16th Dec: 3 mile tempo @ 6:35, 6:30, 6:25: Out later than planned for this so was chasing the light a bit. A short warm-up and then into the tempo miles. Splits were 6:35; 6:34; 6:31. Again wasn’t pushing too hard with the race in mind and was finding it tough on the first mile due to poor preparation so didn’t push hard to hit paces. One of those ticking boxes runs! Total: 4. 5miles

Fri 17th Dec: Rest

Sat 18th Dec:  2.5 mile @ 8:02 avg pace with 5 x 12 sec strides. Just shaking out the legs before the 5k tomorrow.

Sun 19th Dec: Drogheda Christmas 5k (17:54)

There was absolutely no pressure on this race as I had exceeded the target of a sub 18 in the jingle bells. I’ve done this race a few times and know the out and back nature can be a challenge. Conditions were perfect so decided to give it a good whack at a PB effort.

Got in a good position early as we headed off the track and onto the roads. Glanced at the watch which was telling me I was at 3:20 pace early on but felt ok so didn’t try to brake too hard. First km beeped at 3:21 so did try and ease off a bit. A few people passed me shortly after the 1km and was happy enough to let them on knowing there was a bit of an incline over the next km. 2nd Km beeped at 3:37 and while finding it tough I knew I was in a good place with time in the bank. Coming up to the turning point there was an incline and I passed a few here but it was really zapping the legs. Thought I would get it back on the now downhill when we turned but the legs didn’t have it. 3rd km 3:40.

I was really starting to struggle now and was paying for the too quick first km so it was just a matter of digging in and getting home in one piece. There was a young lad beside me know and I knew he was in trouble too as I had to tell him a few times to run inside the cones as he was all over the place and there were plenty of cars on the road. Kept an eye on him but he was keeping a good pace and getting plenty of encouragement from the people out supporting. 4th km 3:37. Tried to push for home leaving the young lad behind me here but got passed by a group of Dunleer athletes running effortlessly so tried to stick to the back of them as we headed onto the track for the last 500mtrs but they just pulled away. I saw the clock had 16:1X when we hit the track but my brain was too fried to do any maths – legs rebelled anyway so just had to dig deep and slog it out. Could see that a sub 18 was on the cards as I was coming down the finishing straight so just focussed on that. Last km was 3:36.

Initially I was disappointed that I was a fair bit off Jingle Bells but soon told myself to cop on as I spent 6 years trying to get under 18 minutes again and I had now done it twice in a fortnight. Also reminds me that with the 5k you have to keep at it as it can be hard to get it right every day and my quick start goosed me for a realistic PB attempt.

Onwards and upwards. 

Weekly total: 30 miles 

Mon 20th Dec: 4 mile @ 8:22. Late evening run around the GAA pitch track on tired legs. Energy levels were fairly low and legs were heavy.

Tues 21st Dec: 6 mile @ 8:08 avg pace: Another late evening run, this time around Cavan town. Legs had a bit more life in them.

Wed 22nd Dec: Rest – scheduled rest day. Had toyed with the idea of getting out early as I was getting the booster jab this morning but bad weather put that idea out of my head so just took the rest day.

Thurs 23rd Dec: Rest – Floored by the booster so another day of rest needed

Fri 24th Dec: Rest – Another recovery day needed

Sat 25th Dec: Rest

Sun 26th Dec: 7 mile @ 7:16 avg pace. Finally felt back to myself again so got out of bed early and hit the road with no firm plan. Body felt like going a bit faster than easy so just went with it. Enjoyed this run.

Weekly total: 17 miles

Mon 27th Dec: 7 miles @ 8:14 avg pace. Got out early morning for this and just ran from the house on a bit of a makey-up route. Another enjoyable run.

Tues 28th Dec: 7 mile @ 8:05 avg pace: Up and out very early for this as we were heading to Kerry for a few days and wanted to get this done before setting out. Headed into Cavan Town and kept the pace nice and handy. Another ridiculously mild morning and felt overdressed in a long sleeve top!!

Wed 29th Dec: 7 mile @ 8:02 avg pace: Snuck out nice and early for this around the streets of Listowel. Kept the pace nice and handy.

Thurs 30th Dec: Rest – Travelling back up the country so swopped around days.

Fri 31st Dec: 9 mile with 5 @ 7:10; 4 @ 6:55

Felt like the first time I had done one of these long tempos in a long while. Got out just before dark after a day spent building a workbench with the young lad. Was trying to start on pace and not go too hard!! Felt good but was definitely feeling this over the last few miles.

Splits 6:49; 7:05;7:04; 6:59; 7:02; 6:38; 6:57; 6:57; 7:03 (included a big hill)

Overall was delighted with this even if pacing wasn't perfect.

Total: 10.1 miles

December total: 134.6 miles

Total for 2021: 2,182. 5 miles

Overall delighted with the years running. Mileage was consistent and no long lay-offs helped majorly.

Delighted with the work in brining my half marathon PB down which was the main focus. A big 5k bonus in December and 2 5ks under 18 minutes for the first time in 6 years was the icing on the cake!

Will follow the same template for 2022 building mileage in the build up to Bohermeen with plenty of long tempos and a focus on half marathon's for the first half of the year and then switch focus to the 5k and 10k. Need to bring down my 10k time this year!

Happy New Year

• Advertisement

The focus for January will be on building mileage and doing the base work for Bohermeen.

Sat 1st Jan: 7 mile easy@ 8:36: Headed into Cavan town for this and kept the pace nice and handy. Miles few by. Weather was crazy mild for the time of year and ended off taking off gloves.

Sun 2nd Jan: 12 mile (10@7:25 last 2 @ 7:10 pace)

Got out early Sunday morning for this on my usual tempo route and tried to focus on keeping the pace right which apart from the second mile, which was mainly downhill, done reasonably ok. First 5/6 miles were fine but started feeling this in the legs on the second loop and it turned into a bit of a slog. I knew it would be tough to increase the pace for the last two miles so tried to do it gradually. Mile 11 beeped at 7:20 but knew that was all that was in the legs at that stage. Mile 12 included a long drag so just focussed on keeping moving and idea of any pace went out the window. It beeped at 8:09 just as I got back to the car.

Splits were: 7:22;7:12;7:27;7;37 (long drag); 7;19;7;21;7:17;7:18;7;28; 7;20;8:09. 

Tired legs were definitely an issue here and to be expected so close to the long tempo on Friday.

Weekly total: 49 miles (19 in January)

Mon 3rd Jan: 8.1 mile @ 8:24 avg pace: Snuck out just before lunch for this before anyone noticed I was gone. Tuned into a podcast and zoned out. Deliberately didn’t check the pace once and it was a nice enjoyable run. Done a 15 minute core routine later on as I was feeling guilty for neglecting the core work for so long and it’s January!!! Spent the rest of the evening doing up running plans for the groups I’m coaching at the local club and wondering how I’m going to fit in my own running around them all 😊

Tues 4th Jan: 8 mile easy @ 8:17 avg pace: A rare enough evening run as no chance to run earlier on. Just about got out before it started freezing hard and headed for Cavan Town. Bitterly cold but was well wrapped up and caught up on a few podcasts (Documentary on One) so miles flew by. Still noticing a bit of fatigue in the legs but that’s understandable after a light enough November and December mileage wise.  Another 15 minute core workout was squeezed in too.

Wed 5th Jan: 5 x 1 mile 6:15 pace with 80 sec rec

Working from home again so got out at lunch time and down to the local gaa track. Started with a gentle warm-up mile. Track was a bit of a mess with lying water and by the time I was finished the runners and my legs were filthy. Even though there was a few patches of ice still on the track, the underfoot conditions were fine so no excuses on that front.

Into the first 1 mile and tried to get a consistent pace going but as usual set off way too fast on the first lap and only reined it in a bit after that. Felt fine on 2 and 3 but by number 4 was definitely feeling this in the legs. Gritted the teeth for the 5th one and delighted when it was done. There was no way I could have completed a 6th rep. A very slow shuffle for a mile served as a cooldown.

No core workout

Splits for the miles were: 6:08; 6:08; 6:07; 6:08; 6:14

Total: 7.6 miles

Great training going on - I hear you on the 10k time - I need to run more 10ks too.

Congrats on the D&D 5k too - good to be disappointed about a positive result. Big things coming in 2022 once you get racing regularly.

Thurs 6th Jan: Thurs 6th Jan:  8 mile easy @ 8:29: Out straight after work for this and to save a bit of time I ran from the house. This meant 5 miles around the gaa pitch track in semi darkness – character building stuff!! A good podcast helped pass the time. Home for a quick bite and then out again to train my running group. Done a good stretch while they were running. Then went to the Cavan match where I froze but nice to be back at live sport and was a decent spectacle even if we were on the wrong side of the result. No time for core this evening.

Fri 7th Jan: Rest – Planned rest day but managed to squeeze in a 15 minute core workout.

Sat 8th Jan: 3 x 3 mile @ 6:40 pace with 1 mile rec in 8:00 mins:

I waited until the afternoon to do this after a busy morning running around chasing my tail. Went for my usual loop around town and started with an easy warm-up and then into the tempo pace miles. Splits for first 3 were 6:33; 6:31; 6:33. Felt good on the first set and was ready to go again after the 1 mile recovery. Splits for 2nd set were 6:47; 6:31; 6:33. The first one was definitely not that slow and have noticed that I always get an odd split in this area – it’s a very wooded area with lots of tree cover so thinking the satellite coverage is poor. In any event it felt like a good even paced set but was still happy when the recovery mile came. Spent it doubling back and forward as didn’t want to start a 3rd loop if possible. Whilst it gave me a nice downhill start, it also meant going back into town and plenty of road crossings and finishing on a long drag so wasn’t the best thought out plan. Splits were 6:24; 6:39; 6:42. Very happy with that and walked the rest back to the car. 

Squeezed in another 15 minute core workout later on.

Total 11.5 miles

Sun 9th Jan: 7.3 mile easy @ 8:26. Headed out early in the afternoon from the house and kept the pace nice and handy. Again ended up doing laps of the pitch to make up the miles. Legs were heavy on this run.

Another short core workout in the evening rounded out a decent week’s work. Plan for the coming week is more of the same but need to rejig the plan as I have a family wedding on Saturday so there will be no running that day.

Weekly total 50.5 miles.

Mon 10th Jan: 7 mile easy @ 8:19 avg pace. Managed to squeeze this in at lunchtime and kept it nice and handy, running from the house. 15 minutes core workout later on in the evening.

Tues 11th Jan: 8 mile easy @ 8:41 avg pace. Out at 6am for this and met running buddy at the local gaa pitch track. He done 5k with me and I finished the rest out solo. Kept it nice and handy. I started coasching kids running classes at the local club and had the first class this evening. Went well and they all went home happy so will take that!! Still got the 15 minute core workout done.

Wed 12th Jan: 1 mile @ 6:05 / 2 min rec/ 10 x 400m in 85sec 50 sec rec / 2 min rec/ 1 mile @ 6:00

Got out straight after work for this and immediately noticed the bit of extra brightness which was great to see. Started with an easy warm-up mile and then got into the faster bits. 1st mile was in 5:59. The 2 minutes went quick and then into the 400s. Not too much trouble with these and felt good and strong apart from tiring a bit towards the end. Splits for the 400s were 81;81;81;81;82;81; 81;83;81;83. 

Finished out the last mile in 5:59 again so nice bit of consistency about this session. Finished out with a quick cool down run. Very happy with how I executed this.

Total: 6.3 miles

Thurs 13th Jan: 8 mile easy @ 8:30 avg pace.

Out the door at 5:30am for this as was under pressure for the day. Got a few mile in at the local gaa pitch track and then running buddy joined me for a few mile. Nice to have the company to pass a few miles. Finished the last mile on my own. Legs were feeling heavy after yesterday’s session. 15 minute core session in the evening too.

Got a sports massage also - he found a lot of tightness around the hips and glutes so will keep an eye on that.

Fri 14th Jan: 13. 5 miles with 12 @ 7:15 pace.

This was meant to be a rest day but with a family wedding tomorrow and a day off work to do a few last minute jobs, I decided to get this done in the afternoon and take the pressure off trying to get out at the crack of dawn Saturday or leave it until Sunday.

Weather was perfect for running and picked my usual tempo loop. Gently eased into the run and soon hit the pace and just tried to keep it consistent with a pick up over the last few miles. Mostly managed that and finished it out with a slow shuffle back to the car. Splits for the quick miles were 7:16; 7:14; 7:11; 7:07; 7:14; 7:07; 7:05; 7:04; 7:10; 7:15; 7:05; 6:50

Very happy with this one.

Total: 13.5 miles

Sat 15th Jan: Rest – A guilt free rest day!!

Sun 16th Jan: 7.25 mile @ 7:32 avg pace. Stayed overnight in the hotel and kids wanted to go swimming in the hotel pool after breakfast so took the opportunity to explore the area while getting a run in. Forgot to bring the iPod so had a rare run without a podcast or music. Found a nice route and headed off – the lack of headphones speeded me up and had a very enjoyable run in the sunshine.

Weekly Total: 50.05 miles. 

Mon 17th Jan: Mon 17th Jan: 9.25 miles @ 8:01 avg pace: Had the day off work so decided to get out to the forest park mid morning and really enjoy this. Sun was shining but it was still cold in shaded areas. Kept the pace handy but I was getting quicker the further I went so had to pull back. Really enjoyed this run and added a few miles on to make the most of the sunshine and having time on my hand. 15 minutes core workout completed also.

Tues 18th Jan: 5 x 1 mile @ 6:02 pace with 70 sec rec: Got out straight after work and headed down to the GAA pitch track. Started with a 1 mile warm-up and then into the miles. Splits were 6:02; 5:58; 5:58; 6:00; 6:02. Finished off with a 1 mile cool down. Really happy with this. Felt strong and good consistency in the paces.

Again got my 15 minute core workout done in the evening after coaching my kids running group. 

Total: 7 miles

Wed 19th Jan: 7 mile @ 8:45 – Met running buddy for some of this so out the door at 5:30am on very tired legs. Kept the pace nice and handy and was only starting to loosen up when running buddy left me to finish out the last 3 miles on my own. 

Done another 2 miles that evening coaching the boys preseason training (including 7 x 100mtrs) sprints with them so was way too goosed for a core workout.

Total: 9 miles

Thurs 20th Jan: Rest – Delighted to get a rest day. Done the 15 minute core workout in the evening.

Fri 21st Jan: 7 miles with 15x45sec hill sprints with jog back recovery.

Got out before 7 am for this and started out with a 2 mile warm-up run and then got into the hill sprints. Had it programmed on the watch so could zone out. Objective of the first was a good hard effort, remember that spot and try to hit it each time afterwards. Managed that for the first 10 reps but a van parked on the footpath then and was unloading. I knew the driver wasn’t paying any attention to me so had to be aware of what he was doing and oncoming traffic for the last 5 which disrupted my rhythm a fair bit but got the head down and they got done. Definitely tired over the last 3 but still happy with the effort and I can still feel it in the legs. Finished off with a 2 mile slow cool down.

Sat 22nd Jan: 8 mile easy @ 8:40 avg pace.

Busy day which started with coaching at 9:30 – was demonstrating lunge walks and ended up doing about 15 reps of them with the group. Was fine at the time but by that evening I could barely walk as the muscles started to seize!! 

Got out late afternoon in the end for a run and kept the pace nice and handy while I could still move.

Sun 23rd Jan:  9 mile tempo 3 @ 6:50  3 @ 6:45 last 3 @ 6:40 pace 

I knew I was in trouble when I tried to get out off bed: 1 could barely move and nearly needed help putting my socks on!! Was leaning towards skipping this but decided to give it a try and see how far I could go. After a very ungainly 1 mile warm-up, I decided to give the tempo run a lash.

Started out ok but I wouldn’t like to see a video analysis of my running style!!

Hit a hill after 3.5 miles and legs gave up so walked the rest of the hill and then tried to get going again. Hitting the pace was out the window but was trying to be as honest as the legs would let me. The flat was ok but hills were killing the legs so when I hit another hill 3 miles in I knew the legs were goosed so played mind games to force myself to hit 3.5 miles and at least then I would have 2 x 3.5 miles done. Hit the 3.5 miles and jogged back to the car. 

In the end I’m more than happy with this as it would have been easy to skip it or just go for a gentle shuffle but got a decent session done. Splits for tempo: 6:49; 6:50; 6:49; 6:58 pace for 0.5.  6:51; 6:58;6;53; 6:54 pace for 0.5.

Managed to get the 15 minutes core workout done too.

Total: 8 miles.

Weekly total: 48.25 miles

Another week of solid training done.

Mon 24th Jan: 7 mile @ 8:22 avg pace: Nice and early 6 am start for this. Headed into Cavan town and kept the pace nice and easy. Another cracking morning for a run and a good start to the week. 15 minute core workout in the evening.

Tues 25th Jan: 2x4mile tempo @ 6:30 with 1/2mile recovery:

Got delayed getting out for this which meant I had to do it at the GAA pitch track. Upside is I find it easier to keep an even pace at the track but downside is the monotony of lap after lap running and trying to resist the urge to count down each lap. Started with an easy mile warm-up before starting into the first 4 miles. Went out a bit quick but felt good and strong: 6:21; 6:23;6:22; 6:23.

The half mile recovery was over very quick and was soon into the second set of 4 miles tempo. There was a bit of traffic on the track at this stage which was a distraction but was also making me go the long way around a few times. Felt ok doing this but counting laps down from 10 was mentally tough. 6:28;6:27;6:23;6:20. Happy with the strong finish as well. 

Total 10 miles.  Also mftted in a 15 minute core workout later on.

Wed 26th Jan: 7 mile @ 8:49 avg pace. Another 6 am start – had company this time for the first 5 which was great. Had 8 in the plan but left it at 7 as was running out of time and fatigue was also kicking in.

Thurs 27th Jan: 8 mile (3 @ 8:53)( 5 @ 7:44) Literally a run of two halves. Done the first 3 mile with my running group as their plan was for an easy 3 mile. Out with a few lads from the club for the second 5 mile around town. Enjoyed this and pace was naturally picking up after each mile. 15 minute core workout in the evening

Fri 28th Jan: 5 x 1 mile in 6:08 with 80 sec rec: Down to the gaa pitch track for this again. Ran down as part of the warm-up. Took a bit of time to loosen up and hit the pace on the first mile but eventually got there! Soon got into the groove and felt good and strong throughout. Splits were 6:05; 5:57; 5:59;5:58; 6:01. Another handy mile cool down to finish it out. 15 minutes core workout again.

Total: 7.5 mile

Sat 29th Jan: Rest

Sun 30th Jan: 12 mile @ 7:54 with 5 x 20 sec strides Out first thing for this one and it was bitterly cold so glad to be wrapped up well. Legs felt fresh from the off and the miles rolled by. Finished it out with the strides before hitting the road to Carrick on Shannon for the Cavan game with the young lad. Another core workout in the evening finished a decent week’s work:

Weekly Total: 51.5 miles

Mon 31st Jan: 7 mile @ 8:42. A 6 am start for this and was feeling tired when the alarm went off. Started out very slow even with company for the first 5 miles. Listened to a podcast for last 2 miles on my own. Happy to get this done.

January Total: 226.75 miles

Focus on February is to continue the build up for Bohermeen. Two races on the horizon with Trim 10mile and then a 10k race in Leitrim the following week. Not goal races but will be nice to get out there and race.

Tues 1st Feb: 3 mile @ 6:20 / 3min rec /4 x 400m in 83/82/3 min rec/ 2 mile @ 6:15pace 

This went wrong from the start. I had a very long and busy day at work so was aiming to squeeze this in at lunchtime. Was working from home so plan was to get down to the gaa pitch track and get it done with lunch break window. Thought I had it timed perfectly to coincide with the end of the primary schools lunch break but there was about 80 kids on the track when I got there so sat back in the car and waited for them to finish up. Subsequently found that they have staggered lunch breaks now. Lost 15 minutes to this so after a 2 lap jog got straight into the session. First 3 miles were 6:17; 6:19; 6:21 and felt ok although I was distracted and constantly making sure I had enough time to complete the session. After a very quick 3 minutes recovery got into the 400s and they felt really tough from the first and was happy to just get them finished. 84;85;88;87. The wind was rising all the time making this really difficult and a struggle to get any even pace going so was just happy to get them done. 

Checking the watch on the recovery I knew I couldn’t squeeze in the 2 miles so called it a day. Happy enough to get something done given the obstacles in my way.

Total: 5 miles

Wed 2nd Feb: 7 miles @ 8:37 avg pace. Out the door at 6am for this and had company for the first 4 miles. I was very creaky at the start but loosened out as I got going. Another good core workout in the evening.

Thurs 3rd Feb: Rest – Another long day at work and awful weather conditions convinced me to swop days around and take the rest day. Got the core work done in the evening.

Fri 4th Feb: 3 x 1 mile @ 6:20 pace with 1/2 mile rec in 4 min

Got out the door at first light and after a slow warm-up got stuck into it. Had a fair idea early on that hitting the prescribed pace was going to be a challenge but wasn’t overly worried with it being race week! Splits were 6:28; 6:20; 6:24. Another nice and handy cool down mile to finish it out.

Total 5 miles.

Sat 5th Feb: 2 mile easy with 5 x 12 sec strides Was up and about early and down to the gaa pitch to set up for my Saturday morning kids running group. Had all the cones and obstacles set up in record time so snuck in a mile and strides while waiting for the kids to arrive. Then done another mile with them. Multitasking at its finest. Spent the rest of the day watching Rugby and GAA – perfect prep for race day!!

Sun 6th Feb: Trim 10mile

I was treating this as a build up to Bohermeen but was also curious to see what I could achieve over this distance as its not a distance I’ve raced too often. PB was something over 66 minutes from a few years ago.

I set 2 goals for this as it wasn’t a goal race. Goal A was an average pace of 6:15 for the 10miles with Goal B being an average pace of 6:20 per mile. My average pace for the Galway half was 6:22 so really wanted to improve on this and set that pace as the A goal for Bohermeen.

Got down to Trim nice and early and parked in the multistorey car park. I used the 2.5km to the start as a warm-up and arrived at the race start in good time. Plenty of stretching and a few strides and I was raring to go. Wore the gloves and a long sleeve top and brought a gel with me but ended up not using it. I had another long sleeve top that I ditched just before the start. The rain started coming a few minutes before the start and I tried to get as much shelter as possible but that wasn’t easy.

The rain shower eventually eased off and without any fuss we were underway. I was in a good position so just focussed on settling in as we got going. Felt surprisingly good early on and a quick glance at the watch showed 6:07 pace so just settled in at that and found a good group to work with. I knew the first two miles were quick so not overly bothered about the quick pace. By mile 2 I was in a nice group of about 8 and we were moving well. The sun had come out too so all was good in the world!. 6:10; 6:10.

By the start of mile 3 I noticed that there was a fair gap opening between our group and the next group so went out front to try and close it down but nobody else seemed too bothered about closing it. One guy did eventually come along side me so we worked together to close the gap. I was expecting the wind to be against us after we came through Dunderry so really didn’t want to be out on my own at that stage with no protection. We had closed the gap by the time we came into Dunderry after 4 miles and the first water stop. Took a bottle and a few sips and debated taking a gel but decided against it as I was feeling good and strong. 6:10; 6:14.

I was doing maths in my head about how much time I had banked for the slow section of the course when we took a sharp turn straight into the wind after coming through Dunderry. There was very little in the line of protection and was again at the head of the group so taking most of the wind. Was wondering if anyone else was going to take a lead as we chased down the group ahead. Mile 5 beeped at 6:26 which was a good indication of how strong the wind into our faces was. I was still very happy to get to the halfway point in such good shape and upped the pace to catch a group of 8 runners ahead of us. This time 2 lads went with me and we focussed on latching on to the group ahead. Noticed they were labouring a bit after a few minutes of this and was out on my own again taking the wind. Eventually noticed footsteps coming beside me and a female runner who was running strongly in our group was coming with me.  We exchanged a few words and she suggested working together to catch the group ahead and it sounded good to me. We passed another water stop and again I took a few sips. We were really starting rein in people ahead of us now and got tucked in at the back of the group ahead. 6:14; 6:08.

I was starting to feel the effects of making the surge and was quite happy to let her go on ahead once we had caught up with the group. I just sat in for a while and tried to recover. Zoned out a bit at this point and was just focussed on putting one foot in front of the other. The group I was now with was breaking up and the pace was dropping so was once more out on my own as I left them behind but wasn’t planning any more heroic breaks at this point. A few inclines on this section but we were now out of the wind thankfully. Somewhere around here about 5 of the group I had been in early on passed me so I focussed on tucking in at the back of them as we headed for home. 6:16.

As we hit the start of mile 9, there was a noticeable injection of pace and I initially struggled to go with the group and was in danger of being left behind so had to dig in and hang onto the back of them for dear life. That was all my focus now as we passed a few runners on their own. Mile 9 beeped in 6:04 and the pace increased again and had to go a bit deeper again as this was really starting to hurt.

I was giving the watch plenty of glances now counting down towards the end but also telling myself that I had loads of time banked if I needed to ease off. There was plenty of support out on the road at this stage and with half a mile to go I was starting to feel better about things and started to think of a big finish. All that was gone from my head when we turned into the industrial estate for the finish as the wind was pounding into us. Put the head down for the last 400mtrs and got a final burst over the last 100 metres and passed all but 1 of the group that had passed me earlier. Final mile was 6:05.

Took a good few minutes to get the breath again knowing I had left it all out there. Rescued the top I had left at the start and started the slow shuffle/jog back to the car and some warmth. 

Absolutely delighted with this run and the time of 62:03 which is a massive pb and an average pace of 6:12. Really well organised race and will be back again next year.

Focus now is on 10km race next Sunday and hopefully another PB and then head down for Bohermeen in March.

Total: 14 miles

Weekly total: 31 miles

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Great report and congrats on the PB in those conditions!

• Advertisement

Savage stuff J, you’re getting better and better 👏👏👏

TbL

Advertisement