Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,278 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Don't... Take.... The.... Bait...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Sonic was a game made for 3D and has only gotten better over the years. Mario meanwhile peaked in the SNES years and has been running on fumes ever since.

🥸

• Registered Users Posts: 29,809 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I guess it's a generational thing. I have slightly younger friends who swear by Crash and Spyro. Anyway, none of those mascots are a patch on Dizzy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,189 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Bet a grand it's going to be a modern vice city. I was playing battlefield hardline recently, which is also set in miami, and you can just see how good an updated vice city layout could be. Hardline even had everglades levels - which I remember reading back in the day rockstar wanted to do for vice city (according to a gaming mag)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

You can be sure the Everglades will be in if it’s set in Vice City. They have so many assets they could reuse from RDR2 just for that alone. A modern Vice City would be something to behold I’m sure but I’ve no faith in Rockstar to make another quality single player experience ever again. Much like EA discovering the bounties of micro transactions a few years ago, it completely shifted focus away from what made them so popular in the first place, they’re chasing the money now and that won’t translate to the best GTA ever made.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It won't happen, not now, but another Chinatown Wars would be neat; an old school, relatively low budget and retro GTA - but with all the polish of a AAA company. The DS game made some nice use of the stylus too with its minigames.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,189 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

It would be a shame if they do not put as much effort into single player. They really should as gta is a cash cow. Of all game development costs out there, gta has the justifiable budget. Sure online made billions so that is going to be their bread and butter but many people bought it for the single player too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I think the problem will be that they made V with single player as the focus, with intent of online afterwards. Then online exploded, so now I reckon they'll be making VI with a focus on that rather than single player, and as a result the SP will be lacking, or pushing heavily towards MTs.

They burned me with the lack of SP support on V, and then the crapshow that was the "remastered" trilogy, I don't have much faith anymore.

Tbf, Red Dead 2 was after the success of GTA online and that had a substantial single player campaign. The online component on the other hand...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,278 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The single player component was pretty **** as well. But the sales numbers are all that matter. However I'd say they shareholders are less than impressed with the MT performance of the online game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,603 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Yeah I don't doubt there'll be a decent size single player story in the next game. They don't need to go too big, too fast on the next GTA Online. If anything, they get to start again with less content and gradually add stuff back into it over time, and having just the single player to start off with allows them to address major bugs and get things ready for when the go live with the online mode, like with RDR2.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Would say RDR2s online was a pretty big disappointment for them, they've even reduced the weekly stuff now to monthly and the updates are very lacking. That long beta probably and lack of content probably was the first couple of nails in the coffin.

GTA online wasn't too different from RD at the start they just didn't call it a beta, it'd loads of bugs and character wipes and little content but it was new. RD wasn't given the same benefit, and neither will a new GTA online. They'll be compared to themselves.

Yeah they focused too much on shrinking horse testicles and not enough on evolving the gameplay.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,940 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Maybe it needed another year or two of dev.

Visuals, sound, voice acting, story, characters, world was great.

I can't understand how the controls are so bad.

I know you are joking 'cause Odyssey, Galaxy 1/2, 3D World/Land, Bowser's Fury, 64, ... said so

I hope the third one moves away from the Van Der Linde gang story and also gives you more freedom of choice in the story, like branching storylines where you can join different gangs or maybe become a lawman. A bit of roleplaying options.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

I'm dipping in and out of GTAV on the PS5 at the moment, having only played a couple of hours of it years ago and the controls are indeed terrible. Nothing about them feels intuitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I played that game many times and never found the controls to be bad.

I didn't mind them either but can see where people would not get on with them. Movement is totally based on a physics simulation so it sometimes feels like you are playing a slightly more manageable game of QWOP and not a modern videogame.

I'm referring to RDR2. It's so easy to shoot someone instead of talk to them, which makes basic interactions stressful. Then selecting a weapon is oh so confusing. I remember trying to get a weapon from my horse early on as instructed by Dutch, and I couldn't figure it out, and he gets impatient. Then it too an age to figure out how to access items in my inventory. Everything is styled mono colour too, so that makes things even harder to decern. An dead eye ... Eventually you get it, but ... ! And then everything slows down in the camp ...

AC Odyssey was a piece of cake in comparison. Ditto for BOTW, Skyrim ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Absolutely loved RDR and was really, really good at the MP back in the day.

RDR2 is subtly different somehow. Not sure if it was the controls, but I just wasn't quite as good as I was in RDR, in SP or othwerwise. Couldn't get into RDR2 MP at all unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,603 ✭✭✭✭Penn

There was so much needless stuff you had to do in RDR2 to make it "realistic" that it greatly convoluted the controls system to try facilitate it. That and providing too many needless options in foods/items with minimal difference between them making it more difficult and convoluted to just pick a simple option.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

RDR2 is maybe the worst AAA game I've played. I mean, I've obviously played more overtly incompetent or confused games. But there's something uniquely, tragically misguided about RDR2: it wastes so much of the player's time for so little reward. There's so much tedium in the name of supposed realism, but really its just the designers trying to pretend their very video-gamey systems aren't video gamey. There's a few nice cinematic missions scattered here and there and obviously impressive technology throughout, but it's such a chore to play and laughably awful to control that the good points are drowned out.

RDR2, in short, is shite.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

I find posts like this impossible to take seriously as anything but being "try hard". Especially considering some of the games I've seen you lauding as incredible etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Do you mean you don't like artisanal crafted small batch developer to table fair trade games, but how can you show your better than other people?

He's right though.

And to iterate on what JU said the story and missions are just ripped straight from every western out there that do everything better than RDR2. I'm sorry Rockstar but I'm not falling for it, I've seen the Wild Bunch and Butch Cassidy and RDR2 ain't got **** on them. It's tragic considering how RDR1 managed to be so much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

I can understand people not liking a game, obviously I have no issue with that. For example, I started Horizon Zero Dawn last week, I've put about 9-10 hours into it and it has bored me into never wanting to play it again, absolutely no interest in continuing it and I'm glad I didn't pay for it. But I'm not going to turn around and say its shite.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

As opposed to what? shítting on how other people express themselves, for not liking that popular game you like? It's funny how every now and again someone has a pop at JU, just because they bothers to articulate an honest opinion with a degree of consideration.

They never once express a thought that even hints of superiority from where I'm standing, or judgement for having different tastes, yet invariably it's taken as thus by some. 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 11,918 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Post edited by Exclamation Marc on

• Advertisement

I think people should maybe try the games JU recommends. He's not put me wrong ever.

Advertisement