Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did you score in your last round? - 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭willabur

From the back tees 3 is a nightmare. It's usually into the wind also. It has ruined my round far more often than any other shot there.

Others on here have said to just play it as a par 5. Even at that, with the wind and a tricky enough green to hit, a 5 is a great score on that hole.

Last comp I played there had 107 golfers. There were 0 birdies, 2 pars and 28 bogies..

At least it's a Nightmare hole for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

God it's so long since I played Corballis, must play it again this winter. I think 12 was the scene of my first ever eagle, decent drive, good 3 wood to the middle of the green and drained a 30 footer.

Don't know how many balls I must have lost around there, always liked 12 as it was finally a chance to give it somewhat of a lash as it appears relatively inviting off the tee. Good memories from there for sure, especially on crisp winter mornings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

My own game is in probably the best shape it's ever been. Had a PB for 9 holes on Sunday in our 9 hole comp. 38 strokes and 23 points.

Game is very solid again after a lot of work on every part of it. 1 birdie, 5 pars, two bogies and a double. Missed a 5 footer for back to back birdies. Most satisfying part was the that the work on the short game paid off, was getting up and down using the shot I had been working on.

Pity the time of season it is, as I'm sure by the time summer rolls around I'll be off the boil or too busy to play. Would love a counting comp or two over 18 at the moment as feel I could shoot a really good one soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭blue note

I had the pleasure of playing with another boardsie on Saturday. It dawned on me on the first tee that the last stranger I met from the internet I ended up marrying and having a child with. And it was another very successful meet-up with someone from the internet - I thoroughly enjoyed the round with Willabur! Although I suspect we won't be going quite as far as the previous time!

Willabur is tidy golfer - I can see why he's so much lower than me! I didn't realise quite how good the back 9 was until I looked at the scorecard after. I thought he was stuck to the pin on the last which could have brought him home in +1 on the back, but it ran long and he bogeyed instead. But he was tapping in pars very naturally. When you're making pars and they look normal to you you're a very decent golfer!

I played quite well, with some terrible stuff thrown in. When I thought back at my stats they're a bit odd.

34 points from a playing handicap of 17.

4 scratches caused by wild tee shots - twice with the driver, twice with the 6 iron.

Other than that a bird, 6 pars, 6 bogies and a double.

I hit 10 greens in regulation, including all 7 par 3s (I'm counting the 3rd as a GIR since I was putting and about 10 feet from the hole). From those 10 I had a bird, 4 pars and 5 bogies. The first hole was an acceptable 3 putt, the other 4 were brutal.

And on the other 4 holes I got up and down twice for par, bogeyed one and doubled another (I took two to hack out of rough).

It's typical Corballis for me really. I struck it well for the most part. On the third I overthought the shot - the wind picked up a little and I tried to keep it very low and instead pulled it left and lost. A normal flight decent drive would have been grand for that wind, I'd have carried the trouble. That's also typical Corballis for me. But other than that no silly shots taken on. Well, possibly the driver on 12, it's unnecessary.

But I had a score differential of 21.7 for the day. There's obvious room for improvement with the putting and driving. The two lost irons are uncharacteristic of me to be honest, so I won't worry about them. But if I want to get the handicap down from 18.4 I've a lot of shots to make up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭coillcam

Had 32 points off 16 for 7th in a 15 hole comp over the weekend. Was on for a joint best round net but for a 9 (par 4) after an OB drive and a disaster bunker lie left me with a long 3 putt tidy up. One more point would have earned me a turkey for the xmas dinner 😅.

This was the first round with my new fitted irons (JPX 921 Forged / Nippon NS PRO 950 Stiff) and I have to say I love them. Had my 1st proper GIR birdie on a par 3 at home course. Faded a 7i about 145 yds to 10ft pin high and rolled it in. I have had a chip-in before but that's the first proper GIR one. Incredibly satisfying to do this on my first outing with the new sticks. Funnily enough, the 9 was on the hole right before the birdie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭dazza161989

Shot 74 but off of mats from fairway for winter rules so wouldn't really count it..

I thought you were going down on one knee at one point but you were just marking your ball.

Can't believe you didn't mention the bit where a bird robbed your ball on the 8th hole - mad stuff.

It was definitely a pleasure to share the links with you on Saturday, I definitely need to return the compliment on your game. You hit the ball so well and can definitely see how you were alot lower than what you are at at the moment. But I would totally put that down to Sharpness around the greens and a bit of course management. Convert those 4 scratches even to 1 pointers and cut down the number of 3 putts and you have 40+ points

Wasn't super happy with how I played myself. Annoying to scratch the 3rd hole after hitting a decent tee shot into the wind. Find myself making lots of pars but not coming close to making birdies, it makes for a decent enough scorecard but not the most memorable golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭blue note

Ah yes - I'd forgot to mention that!. I got a bird and a bird got me! I had seen it before - for some reason on the 18th in Tramore there was a spot where the birds used to go for the balls. They used to fail to fly away with them, they'd generally take them from the fairway and leave them in the rough to the side. Pr1cks!

But if anyone is looking for an endorsement of Seeds there's one for you. They're even the ball of choice for birds!

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

29 points off 12 in a 13hole comp.

2 birdies (back to back too)

6 pars

2 bogeys

2 dbl bogey

1 scratch.

Thought the good work was finished after the scratch on 6th but played the next 6 in 1 under then dbl on the last had me thinking I threw it away. Won my category which is a bonus.

31 points off 16 in 15 hole comp (placing everywhere - 1 club length). I've shot under my HC for two successive weeks 😊.

Managed 2x birdies in a round for the first time which is a great way to close out the year. The driver was absolutely ripping them off the tee, leaving me with some ideal scoring range approaches. Otherwise, too many 3 stabs and a few silly chunks from not paying attention to the lie/slope. Scored every hole and really happy with my game atm. If I tidy up the lag putting and reduce the chunks I think I could looking at dropping a couple of shots when qualifying comps come back in the new year.

While I wouldn't think about this in normal circumstances, the placing rule can be VERY advantageous. I cost my self two strokes by not using the placing rule smartly. First time I forgot about it and could have moved away from a tree that I had to punch out from. The second time I moved the ball to avoid some branches but left my backswing against another tree which was even worse.

• Advertisement

72 shots gross, 63 nett in monthly medal. Down to 8 handicap now which more than exceeds my goal for the year

I put my old putter back in play. Karsten Zing. Always struggled with it back before I started to take my golf somewhat seriously. Felt like I was bowling with the rails up. Each putt was going where I was aiming it which is a mad feeling. Felt I was going to make everything under 6 feet towards the end of the round.

Outside of the greens I felt I played reasonably well. Had no birdies which tells me despite my putting that my approach play wasn't great. Best look I had at a bird was after a thinned PW that rolled up to 15 feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Shot 34 points Saturday morning but feel i played a lot worse which I suppose is a good thing considering i shot +2 to my handicap.

The weather was awful, I could barely feel my hands for the whole round. My irons were going nowhere so was saving a lot of points with the wedges and putter. Normally quite good with the driver but felt i didnt know where on the face i was going to hit it.

Think its time to get the hand warmers out and spend more time on the range working on things over the winter.

Had 35 points off 16 yesterday over 15 holes to bag a turkey for my troubles. Was +8 on front 9 and then reeled in 6 consecutive pars. First time I reached the index 1 long par 4 as a GIR also. Could have been on for new pb if I finished the 18 (currently +12). Couldn't really count that though with the placing.

Halfway through the round yesterday I had to take of my jacket it was so toasty.

The course is in better nick than in the summer, mostly due to it being links and having alot less traffic than normal. Unseasonably mild weather means the fairways have recovered way more than they normally would.

To the golf, played very well. First time playing of 8 and I shot 37 points. Bogey, Bogey start with two awful tee shots. Nailed tee shot on 3rd and landed on the green into a stiff enough breeze to set up a rare par on the index 1. Almost holed the tee shot on 4. Had disasters on 6 and 7, both scratched. Could have been a special round otherwise. Missed a gettable birdie on 10, lipped out for an eagle on 12. Botched an approach on 15 to set up a run of bogeys until the 18th which I parred into a serious blow of wind. Overall very happy to have beaten the handicap but feel there are still another 3 or 4 shots in there especially with the 2 scratched holes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Most of my rounds since winter scoring came in have just been casual affairs to try keep the swing intact. Today no different really but went out for 9 and kept score and holed out everything which I normally don't bother with. Had a great day of ball striking, only one 'duffed' shot and even then it ran well up the fairway. Went Par, Bogey, Birdie, Par, Par, Par so with 3 holes to play had a chance of playing the back 9 with my lowest score ever (albeit winter rules). Creamed the drive on the 16th but with the temporary tees you need a fade if you hit it well which mine didn't do so ended up stuck behind a tree. Played a nice low hook to leave myself about 50 yards short of the flag. Poor chip and 3 putted for a 6. 17th is a par 3, good contact with an 8i but I knew as soon as I hit it I'd left the club face open and sure enough it ended out to the left of the green with an almost impossible chip shot. Bogey. 18th is a par 5 and I was confident I'd have a shot at a birdie for 37. Had been on fire with the driver all day, tee it up and not even sure what it did but sounded horrible, topped/hooked it into the only heavy rough I could end up in. Hit provisional, couldn't find first ball. Got down in 5 with provisional, lipped out for what would have been a 6, Double bogey to come in with a 40. Disappointing end to the round but if I can keep that level of ball striking come summer I think I've a good shot at getting to where I want to be with my handicap. Getting fitted in march/April so hopefully that will help reduce the bad shots too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Played a 14 holes competition there last saturday morning, my first golf of 2022!! Wasn't expecting much as i haven't even done any practice but I was solid enough everywhere except my putting (normally the strongest part of my game) Was first out at 8:30 and while the course was damp after friday nights rain, the greens were in super condition and running very very quick - took me a few holes to get the pace of them. I hit a lot of greens in regulation only to 3 putt several of them which was a bit frustrating. Still it was good to get out and play golf after too long a break.

Ended up having 4 pars, 4 bogies, 4 doubles and two silly triples from nowhere. All bogies were tap in's as well and all my pars came on the low index holes so hopefully i can improve from here this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Played the Seapoint Open for the first time in a long time. Great to hit off dry ground and it was a lovely calm day if a little chilly.

Started off well but the rust was clearly showing itself on some shots. I would say I got unlucky on some drives where they would bound along from the middle of the fairway until finally resting in a bunker. 10 and 18 I was sure I would find the ball ( I'd always hit a provisional if I didn't see it land) but after searching no luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

Played Lough Erne on Friday and had 30pts off 10, mad round where I had 1 point for the 4 par 5s and 14 points for the 4 par 3s. Terrible course management on my behalf but signs of really good golf in there..Ive had a problem with chipping yips for last year and recently practiced chipping cack handed and it certainly helped me, Roll on Portmarnock..Edit 10 pts for 4 par 3s ...2 under nett

Post edited by Golfhead65 on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

First competitive golf since August today. Only played a handful of casual rounds since then. 9 hole comp with 10 points off 13.2. I think I'll be struggling to maintain that handicap when the 18 hole comps return

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Motivator

I wouldn’t worry about it. I’m going through something similar and its the weather that’s killing me. I haven’t broken 20 points in my last 6 or 7 13 hole comps and it’s all down to the weather, the 3 or 4 layers I’m wearing and the underfoot conditions.

I made great strides in the summer and autumn and feel I’m undoing everything playing winter golf. I’m going to take a month or so off and just hit balls in the range 1 or 2 nights a week. Playing winter golf when it’s not suiting will only do one thing for you and that’s ruin your confidence.

• Advertisement

I'm having the opposite problem at the moment in that my last few 5-6 rounds (9 holes) have been played at or below my handicap, I've gone 38, 37,40,38,39 in my last 5 rounds in a mix between front and back 9 so I'm hoping that form translates to qualifying rounds. That said I think the winter conditions (forward tees on many holes), softer ground and slower greens is letting me score better than I normally would and I'll have to adopt my game to the firmer ground that comes with summer. If we have a summer like last year by the time July/August comes around my home course plays closer to a links than a parkland which I struggle with, particularly from <100 yards in. The big plus for me has been my ball striking has been very consistent, particularly off the tee. If I can bring that form into qualifying rounds I think I've a good chance of reaching my goals for the year.

It’s amazing we’re the total opposite. I’m far more comfortable playing in the summer conditions. My ball striking and control is just non existent at the moment to the point where if I played a 25 handicapper in a match I’d struggle to beat them.

My short game is normally very tidy, in the summer I’m confident I can put 90% of my pitches and chips inside 6 feet every round. I know the greens inside out around our place and I know where to miss on certain holes. Over the course of the last 3 months that’s all gone out the window I’m pulling or pushing my irons into the greens or just straight fatting them due to the underfoot conditions. My missed aren’t going when I want them to and then I’m either pitching off pure muck or I’m having to hit chips through the breaks on the green just to get them to the hole.

Winter golf is a totally different animal and it’s going to take a while for me to get any confidence back in my game. Most people play winter golf to keep their eye in and maintain their swing, I’m just killing my confidence. Summer golf in our place is a proper test especially when the fairways and greens start to burn up but I love it. Another thing is playing golf with hats and 4/5 layers of clothing just isn’t suiting me. I can’t seem to swing freely. Get me back to shorts and t shirt weather as quickly as possible.

If you had asked me if I prefer winter to summer I'd have said summer all the way (and still would) but it seems like my swing might prefer the winter conditions. To be fair its been very mild and I haven't played in very wintery conditions. If its very cold I actually can't play the game at all, just can't swing the club properly. Played one round in those kind of conditions around December time and I could barely hit the ball for the first 3-4 holes. Skied a 3 wood off the tee which I never do, just a total breakdown. Last few weeks its been around 7-12c which seems to be ok for me anyway.

We're lucky here in that there isn't really any mud or mucky areas that you have to play off, it drains very well and is in great condition considering the time of year. They could easily change to qualifying rounds at the moment with just placing on the fairways in place but they're redoing lots of tee boxes so temp tees in place. I'm counting down the days now until we can get out for 9 holes of an evening, that's when golf season really kicks into gear I think.

Absolutely agree on the last part. Nothing better than a few holes in the evening after work to clear the head.

Some of the mornings I’ve played in over the last few months have been horrifically cold, and like you said not being able to feel your hands until you’ve been out on the course for an hour is crazy but at the same time I’d rather be out in it that at home listening to the children kill each other.

Was something ridiculous like 4x scratches (about +23) through 15 in a recent comp. Completely forgot how to hit the ball. Blaming the pints the night before and lack of sleep for that. Previous to this I'd been comfortably shooting mid-high 80s to beat or match my hc. Was almost grateful for the rain-induced break over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

27 points off 12 (13 hole comp)

6 pars

7 bogeys

Quite windy conditions with placing everywhere. Threw away 4 points with silly concentration lapses putts.

No more preparation before Saturdays outing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭thecomedian

Benny your a bandit lol

Well done today!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭benny79

Ha.. cheers still buzzing to be honest plus getting cut 2 shots for exceptional score (Rule 7) so delighted with that! well overdue.. I was actually flying it up until Covid hit and in a funny way have played more golf since then in the last 2 years than ever before! but its been a long 2 years golf wise. A lot of frustrating golf as I just couldn't put a score together but I made up for that yesterday! 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭benny79

Suppose I may post my score than 😁

48 pts - 78 gross 😎

What can I say.. a recent golf trip plus the lads on it really helped. Those who know me know I'm golf mad. I'm off 18.4 and play with blades ..lol.. but I love them (wilson staff forged) I am playing golf years, late starter to the game and petty sh!t at most sports lol.. lowest handicap to date was 17.1 right before covid hit. I have got 100's of lessons of nearly ever Pro in the country have even gone to mind guru's! My last 2 lessons my Pro was telling me I am swinging way to stiff to let it go. Something which I found very difficult to do! So have been working at swinging faster at range with the PRGR launch monitor. As one of the lads on the recent trip said, when I actually taught I was swinging fast I wasn't! "your still to slow thats only 65% swing at 95% give me 95%" let it go dont worry about the outcome! So thats what I have been doing and it all clicked into place Sunday - Faster swing - further distances - shorter club into greens - more greens in regulation - more pars. Its an easy game really 🙈😂

9 pars 1 birdie 7 bogies and 1 double

PB before was 86 gross so not only to beat it but to Break 80 is unbelievable! Yes it was placing but all that does is help with cleaning the muck of the ball in our place. The lads were saying all the way around my god I never seen you hit the ball as well the states has changed me ..lol.. but I wasnt getting ahead of myself as I know theres 18 holes and any hole can hurt you in my club (Kilkea Castle)

I went to the states on a golf trip thinking I can make America great again! (inside joke) but I have come back with America making me great! Long may it continue...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,575 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Great stuff Benny. Another man now who can wind up last years captain @Break80  😉

Advertisement