Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

F1 2022 thread - see post 1 for rules

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 485 ✭✭guyfo

The amount of predictions we are seeing recently is just ridiculous, YouTube is full of "experts" making videos about the coming season.... Absolute twats.

Imagine if we were back in Feb 2009... who would have been predicting the teams that came 7th and 9th the previous season would then dominate the sport for the next 13 years taking every single drivers and constructors championship between them up until this day.

Massive regulations change means no one can make even an educated guess at the moment, other than trying to speculate about budgets and the cap.

Myself if love to see both RB and Merc cock up and end up with a sport turned on its head!

Bit **** as well that so much has moved to YouTube now, it's harder to find and prove nonsense from people when you can't just google it. There were some truisms repeated over and over before the start of last season and when they were wrong they let on as if they had said the opposite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,442 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

A bit awkward that as AMG Mercedes F1 did not exist in 2008 or 2009. I have no idea who came 7th and 9th in 2008. I know Mclaren and Ferrari were at the front and Lewis won his first WDC. Thats all I remember. Only Red Bull did and they not start to Dominate until 2010.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,076 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

This is sweet:

It's fairly obvious from my comment which teams came 7th and 9th, RedBull and Honda (which famously became Brawn Gp for just 8 months from March - November 09 when the name changed again to Mercedes GP)

Teams don't just cease to exist because someone wrote a cheque... Are you honestly trying to say the likes of Merc or Racing Point morphed into some completely different operation the second the name changed? That's a load of crap.

Irrelevant to my point anyway which was that when there is a major rules change it's pointless to speculate on performance.

Post edited by guyfo on

Ms

Teams don't just cease to exist because someone wrote a cheque... Are you honestly trying to say the likes of Merc or Racing Point morphed into some completely different operation the second the name changed? That's a load of crap.

No not at all.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,845 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Yup, McLaren not unveiling their new car until Friday I believe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,604 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

But, to be fair, they're all little more than renders of the f1 model 2022 car. Nobody will want to give anything away this early in the new formula. The first time we'll really see the cars will be the test and at the race they'll bring a load of updates.

These are essentially livery launches. That's what Hass called it and it's pretty accurate.

• Advertisement

Yeah, even the Haas reveal had the pushrod suspension bar photoshoped in

So which is it then?

I made a point about the last time we had a rule change this big in the championship and said no one other than Brawn/Merc and Redbull have won championships since. You disagreed calling my point "awkward" and saying the Mercedes team didn't exist at the time.

How can you agree that RP was a continuation of Force India and say the opposite about Honda/Brawn?

On top of that Honda actually had a huge amount of input to the car. Not only did they design the Brawn GP BGP001 (Honda RA109) but also kept a skeleton crew working after pulling out in case the team could be saved. They then literally funded the changes needed to fit a Merc engine in the back after selling the team for 1 pound to Brawn... oh and they also supplied funds for developing the car at the start of the season. On the other hand we certainly didn't see VJ putting his hand in his pocket to help Mr Stroll buy his own team! Honda gets too little credit for the 09 turnaround.

Ms

I made a point about the last time we had a rule change this big in the championship and said no one other than Brawn/Merc and Redbull have won championships since. You disagreed calling my point "awkward" and saying the Mercedes team didn't exist at the time.

How can you agree that RP was a continuation of Force India and say the opposite about Honda/Brawn?

I never said that.

Technicaly do in 2008 the Mercedes F1 team did not exist yes the people who work there would go to work at Mercedes F1 but it was still Honda F1 not Mercedes yet. You can look back in the past at many of the teams including Red Bull and trace there heritage of what teams they came from but they were that team then not the team they are now. Yes a lot of the same people might work there but the team name and even the way they do things are where or how they do it will have changed a lot. They were Honda and as you rightly point out in 2009 it was Honda who helped fund the fitting of the Mercedes engine and for updates not Mercedes so it was still not Mercedes F1 untill it was bought by them in November of that year. Then the team became Mercedes F1.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

My point was in relation to the 09 season rule changes, and how the teams that dominated before 09 faded away after and 2 teams that were at the back went on to dominate F1 to this day. The team that won in 09 is the same, re-branded, team that dominated from 14 to 20.

What you're ignoring is that the team structure stayed the same, Mercedes didn't even buy half of the shares. The team that became known as Mercedes in Nov 09 was the exact same one that took the title a few weeks earlier, with Ross Brawn still team principal of the same staff at the same factory.

Not the same situation as let's say Tyrrell being bought by BAR a few years before the team became Honda. All British American Tobacco did was buy the team for the entry, then went to a brand new facility with a completely different team and their own design of car. Completely separate entities.

Is Alpine a brand new team in your eyes too? Or Aston Martin, is it a completely different entity to Racing Point?

Ms

No Alpine are still Renault and Aston Martin are still Racing Point which is still Force Ibdia.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

I don't think the teams that dominated pre-09 just disappeared - Ferrari and McLaren were still winning races, and Ferrari gave Red Bull a good run for their money (and let's not forget Alonso lost a championship by ONE point).

Certainly from 2014 it was all about Mercedes. But I don't think you could say that Merc now are "the same" as BAR were, or Tyrell for that matter.

There's definitely a line drawn that connects them, much in the same was a Minardi -> Torro Rossa -> Alpha Tauri. Same with Jordan -> [all the other team names] -> Aston Martin. But I don't watch AM driving around and think "that's really a Jordan".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,277 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Which is still Midland, which is still Jordan?

How many times do you have to change the brush head and the handle before you call it a new brush?

Then you are just making it up as you go along. One rule for one team one for another

It was more of a throwaway comparison than anything before someone decided Brawn and Honda were in no way connected...

Merc weren't on the grid in 09, but the Brawn GP team that formed the basis the current Merc team grew from certainly was. It wasn't like they came in and cleaned out the place like RB did in 04-5. Merc knew they had a championship winning team and built on what was already there.

I definitely can't say they are the same anymore, but that's not how history works, it was gradual. I don't look at a Merc now and say that's a Tyrrell or a Brawn, I did however look at the 09 Brawn and say it was a Honda, and the 2010 team as Brawn with added silver! It was Brawn himself that built up the Merc team and put in the foundations for the Hybrid era.

If some people think when a teams ownership changes the team immediately becomes a new entity then what does that say about the likes of Williams and Mclaren...?

• Advertisement
    Ms

Lol. Whatever you say. I am in no mood for getting into an online argument with you so we will just agree to disagree with each other

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Chicane is gone and wider corners should make things pretty interesting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭supremenovice

Reminds me of a similar play a few years ago by Eddie O'Leary (Michaels brother) who bought a tour of Willie Mullins yard in a charity auction..and he brought along Gordon Elliott!

Back to the 2022 season, I'd give a shout for Bottas to get a couple of podiums and maybe a win. Alfa Romeo also went all in on this years car and away from the crushing domination of Hamilton, and being top dog at a mid pack team, I reckon Bottas could be this generations Heinz-Harald Frentzen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Bottas? He has had the best car for the past 4 seasons and scrapped together a few wins. You think he will do the same in an Alfa?

I have started my day with a good joke 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭supremenovice

He's at least as good as Esteban Ocon, so if he can win one in a mid-field car so can Bottas. I'm not saying he's a championship contender but maybe win one of those banzai races that happen like Hungary last year.

I mean, Ocon one on a day where the stars aligned for him and Merc made a balls of their strategy. And, he benefited from Bottas being a bowling ball at the start.

I can't see Alfa being any better than midfield. He will probably get plenty of points but can't see a podium barring a crazy crazy race.

That's how all the drivers, who aren't Mercedes or red bull, won their races in the last few years.

Gasley, ocon, perez in the racing point (and in Baku) and even ricciardo. They can only win when the stars align and Hamilton and Max aren't in contention for some reason. Gasley was incredibly lucky to win his race in 2020.

I wouldn't bet on Bottas doing much next year. Sauber have a long track record of being terrible with very few high points of achieving being average. I'd imagine they'll be in the back few and it will depend on how Ferrari have developed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Ricciardo won on merit in Italy.

I would scratch Ricciardo from that, he won that fair and square.

• Advertisement

He did - as long as 3 of the top 4 were removed and bottas had a mare. So he needed the top 4 to be removed for him to win it on merit.

In truth nobody could win on merit unless the top 2 teams were removed.

Rubbish.

Lewis and Max were not in contention when they crashed, Daniel took the lead at the start fair and he won it from there. He didn't need anything drastic to happen like a safety car or red flag, he won it outright.

Sure. There was one race in the last good few years that didn't rely on exceptional circumstances.

Hamilton might have had the pace to come through for the win, but you can have that one. The rest, few as they were, relied entirely on the Mercedes and latterly the red bulls being taken out of contention by some unusual circumstances.

Williams launch on the 15th of February.

Red Bull launch tomorrow, following by Aston Martin on Thursday and McLaren on Friday.

I am only talking about Ricciardo win, Hamilton didn't have the pace at all to trouble the McLaren, he even had a slow pit stop so that would have compounded it.

You are correct that since 2014, if Merc, RB or Ferrari didn't hit a snag, no one else would win. With the exception of Monza 2021 of course.

Bottas was the fastest Mercedes that weekend. He won quali and the sprint race. But took an engine penalty so didn't start on pole.

So? If he had the pace like you eluded to with Hamilton, he should have been able to overtake, no?

With a 10 place grid penalty? No, not really. Are you suggesting Bottas should have won from 11th on the grid?

Ricciardo won that race, but it took the faster Mercedes having a 10 place grid pen, and Lewis and Max taking each other out and perez being average.

Bottas looked pretty solidly fastest that weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Don’t forget Max’s 11 second pit stop! Had that not happened he wouldn’t have been in a position to hit Lewis and would likely have been up Riccardo’s arse fairly quickly!

At that stage of the season, Bottas was a test mule for the new engines and maps they were running. Even without the penalty, McLaren were fast. Lots of ifs buts and maybes here. At the end of it, Ricciardo won it on merit. End of.

• Advertisement
    Ms

Max did not hit Lewis. Lewis got in Maxs way. It was all Lewis fault that crash. End off.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Anyway, moving back to 2022.....

3 new cars this week, it is beginning to feel like the new season!

Ah, I was going to argue. But you put "end off" at the end. So I suppose you win.

He won on merit when the 2 Mercedes were taken out of co tension. End of. (Is thst how it's done?).

In any case, I hope other teams can win in 2022 without a complete fluke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭recyclebin

This is the 2022 thread. End of!

Norris to stay at McLaren until 2025.

That pretty much counts him out of the conversation about who replaces Lewis if he retires at the end of this season.

I also see that F1 is stopping the kneeling during the anthem presentation. Fair enough.

Not really, just means if Mercedes-Benz really want him, they'll have to either pay McLaren big bucks or offer a very attractive engine deal to buy him out of contract.

Yeah but that's a serious amount of money now. 3 years of a contract (plus whatever mclaren want to sweeten the deal and make up for the loss of their investmen and hire a new driver) is probably very expensive.

Bottas cost $10m to buy him out of his Williams deal. Norris os presumably on atbleast $10m per year. If lewis goes at the endnof this year thennyoure talking $30m basic plus sweetner to help mclaren get a replacement. I'd say this effectively counts Norris out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,755 ✭✭✭This is it

When Hamilton finishes up its likely to be Russell and someone to play secondary driver to pick up the scraps. And in that case it could be anyone really, any above average driver.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement