Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are the attempts to stop the British government amnesty for the troubles futile

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

Gas.

So do you support selling babies, nazism and locking women up for getting pregnant protecting paedos and other rapists? Not to mention idolise a terrorist?

I've never posted any pro ira or sf propaganda. You are deluded and engaging in fantasy my friend.

I asked were you. You keep making stuff up. Try deal in reality. This is hilarious.

This is a thread about the British trying to avoid accountability.

I disagree. I understand why they wouldn't. Its the British looking to bring in a blanket amnesty no-one else.

I think you should stop abusing Maria Cahill for your own end. The Quinn family too. You are using them to defend the murderers you like in the BA.

Anyone committed a crime should be brought to justice.

You defend murders and torturers. Here you are trying to make a thread about the British into your favorite subject.

Post edited by Brucie Bonus on

Gas. If the BA did what is for certain they did, it was because IRA something something...

Post edited by Brucie Bonus on

Doesn't help his side to treat all victims equally.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Revealing that you see things in terms of sides. Another reason why peace is so difficult to achieve. The othering of those who differ as sides is one of the ways to prolong conflict.

• Advertisement

Revealing? I'm talking about how you have a disinterest or disregard for victims unless it suits your agenda. I literally said. "Doesn't help his side to treat all victims equally.". How did you miss that? You are the only one I see using victims or ignoring them when its convenient.

We have a peace long fought for. It's yourself ignoring it and cherry picking which victims to abuse.

We have the British State responsible for butchering civilians and you want to make it about the IRA and then accuse others of being all about sides.

Here you are posting the above when you are deflecting and defending for the British State. Read the thread title, it's about the British declaring a blanket amnesty.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Liberty_Bear

Such a simplistic take that is devoid of the nuances. Were those 'terrorists' to allow Protestant militia carte blanche to mow down Catholic civilians. In your answer try to balance the need for 'terrorist groups' in contrast to the damage they did to innocents. The matter is not all black and white.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭mikethecop

usual pattern so , so transparent

deflect and deny even when the proof is waved in your face then the auld sfira party pile in

the online army needs a new training manual , trying to re write history isnt gona work

What proof? You keep asking me things and making accusations based on the answer you choose for me. Its gas.

Do you even have a fact based point? You seem to be rambling.

Read the thread title. You and your like minded 'posters' are the ones obsessively trying to make every conversation about SF and the IRA. Even if it means deflecting and defending for the BA.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Miniegg

To be honest I have no idea what petty arguments between Fine Gael, Sinn Fein, or IRA / loyalists have to do with this.

This is about soldiers being sent into civilian areas in the UK and massacaring their fellow innocent countrymen, the government rewarding for it, and their subsequent attempts to change their laws to allow them all to get away with it. That is all it is about.

• Advertisement

Agreed. Its about the civilians IMO. Unfortunately some people like to ignore the civilian casualties that don't fit their agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭mikethecop

missed the link to the sfira online army again ? posted it loads of times but sure you know that,

where have i defended the crimes of the ba ?

the war crimes of all sides should be punished and harshly

understandably both sides are afraid to shed light on that,

but really the fact is sfira have a lot more to lose from their crimes being dragged into the light

I wasn't looking for it. I'm quite sure every party has an online team. Just reminding you FG definitely do.

You are constantly making this thread, a British amnesty thread, about SF and the IRA.

You're not dragging anything into the light. You are threading well worn boards deflecting for the British. May not be your intent, but you are. Theres a SF thread I believe.

They don't want an amnesty for the British Army but they do want one for the criminal thug terrorists on the republican side.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

I haven't contacted my local Tds about any crimes, because, y'know, they're already crimes.

If the amnesty goes ahead Ireland needs to gather as much evidence as possible, and have European Arrest warrants issued on every single murdering british soldier. Don't allow them travel anywhere within Europe without the threat of arrest. Pretty much what the French have done to Ian Bailey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Harryd225

The Irish government are far too worried about upsetting the British to do anything like that.

The FG government stopped the investigation into the Dublin Monaghan bombings after just two months. The Barron inquiry found that this likely happened as they were worried the investigation might "play into the hands of republicans".

We could start with those who covered up the abuse of Paudie McGahon, the men who killed Brian Stack, the other involved in the killings of Gardai etc., all crimes that happened within our jurisdiction. No point criticising others for non-prosecution of crimes when we haven't done it ourselves.

Please tell me how the Irish state covered up or took part in thosr crimes and let the killers escape justice?

The British state has covered up the murders of hundreds of innocent people, not only that, they also placed blame on many of the victims for their own murders.

The Irish states inadequacy in getting convictions for some murders that happened in no way correlates with what the British state were doing, it's very clear to everyone that you only care about innocent victims depending on who they were killed by.

When was the amnesty for the abusers "of Paudie McGahon, the men who killed Brian Stack, the other involved in the killings of Gardai etc." announced? If there has been on I'll be straight onto all of my local politicians.

Got a link there? Don't want to look like a thick complaining about something that hasn't happened.

I am just saying that we should get our own house in order, have full statutory investigations into the allegations of Garda collusion with the PIRA. We have had the Smithwick Tribunal which made findings on that, but it only covered one area. As I said, get our own glasshouse in order before we start throwing stones.

Nobody has been charged for the collusion identified by the Smithwick Tribunal. Our hands are not clean, elements in our State aided the terrorist activities of the PIRA, deal with what we did first, before asking others to deal with their cover-ups.

• Advertisement

That nice man Pearse McAuley who later went on to beat his wife was one of the four men convicted of the McCabe killing released under the GFA amnesty. Are you saying that if the other two involved are caught and convicted that they won't be able to avail of the GFA amnesty.

So you are endorsing letting the horse bolt (the brits bring in an amnesty), then once we've made the stable all lovely (held enquiries here), then closing the door (asking for an existing and presumably watertight amnesty to be removed by the brits)?? That's a wonderful idea.

Shaky logic is probably the most sincere way of describing that. I'd be banned if I said what I really thought.

Some minor collusion involving individual rogue members of the Gardai in relation to the deaths of 3 or 4 combatants can hardly be compared to British state institutionalised collusion involving the deaths of hundreds of innocent people. Can you not see the difference?

You are calling on the Irish government to investigate the deaths of a few people while at the same time you are more than happy for the British to try and cover up what happened during the troubles by introducing a ban on all inquiries and inquests.

Are you saying that we don't have an existing GFA amnesty for PIRA killers? That those two at-large killers of McCabe can still be brought to justice?

Is there any point complaining about an amnesty for British soldiers when we have one in place for PIRA killers? I am not prepared to be hypocritical - get rid of all the amnesties and convict them all is my view.

That some defend McAuley being let out of jail early under an amnesty so that he could go on and beat his wife while complaining about a British amnesty is a disgusting opinion in my view. Put McAuley and the rest back in jail to serve their full sentences, and then we can complain. Otherwise we are the hypocrites only interested in the victims of one side.

Well we have the Garda Commissioner in that link stating that it is still an active investigation etc. If they could just rock home, back to their families and friends and pull out the GFA card they'd be idiots for not doing it so far. How many family weddings, funerals, other events have they missed when all they have to say is the three magic letters if arrested??

Also, just to be factual, Pearse McAuley and Kevin Walsh were released at the end of their sentences, and not under the GFA. But sure who needs facts, they just get in the way??

"They were both jailed for 14 years for manslaughter but had 3½ years taken off their sentence as remission. Det Garda McCabe’s killing had almost the same impact on the country as that of Veronica Guerin, 19 days later. His removal was the biggest Limerick had seen in 20 years.

A bid by his killers to secure early release under the Belfast Agreement was rejected by the High Court."

But, as above, he was not let out early. You were and still are wrong on that assertion. He has served his full sentence.

The GFA was agreed to by all sides and was overwhelmingly democratically endorsed North and South, part of the GFA was the release of all prisoners.

The British are trying to bury the past in an attempt to cover up what was really going on back then, I personally would have no problem with an amnesty in correlation with a truth and reconciliation process, I doubt most people would have a problem with that. The British state are the only ones who are opposed to a truth and reconciliation process, what they want is to bury the past by making all inquiries and inquests into the troubles illegal.

Get our own house in order first, that is all I am asking. You may be happy to be hypocritically looking for something we won't do, I am not. Scale is immaterial when this is an important principle, and in fact, if you are correct, it shouldn't take us long to root out this collusion.

Hilarious, so we should spend all our time and effort investigating collusion involving a small few rogue individual members of the Gardai in connection with the deaths of 3 or 4 combatants, while at the same time the British are doing the exact opposite and covering up their own state institutionalised collusion involving the intelligence services in the deaths of hundreds of innocent people.

Get a grip.

• Advertisement

But that's not what you are asking. You are asking us to ignore the murder of Irish civilians, and the British state covering it up versus a few rogue individuals breaking the law.

Advertisement