Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remote working - the future?

Comments

the attitude of people here who just want to drag others down is staggering

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,152 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

What exactly are you referring to? Who do I want misery for?

And there is a cost to everything.

Working from home couldn't suit me better but I'll still be going back the office the majority of the time, it works better for the business. Who pay me. And I agree with that.

Drag who down ? Sorry is this supposed to be a safe space with no dissenting voices ?

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Young_gunner

I work in a very technical econometrics role, and I can assure with 100% certainty that our team is more efficient and produces higher quality output in a remote environment.

The job needs deep focus, and a noisy open plan office makes this type of work much less efficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Young_gunner

And before you '@' me, we have onboarded two graduates over the last 2 years and it's been significantly easier and more successful than in person.

It's not like we're plumbers or carpenters - remote is the future. The future is now!

I have literally zero else to say to the trolls on this thread - I hope everyone who wants to work remotely (myself included) is able to do so successfully into future - the benefits are just huge. I'll happily never set foot in an office again.

To anyone who doesn't want to work remotely, I genuinely hope you enjoy the return to the office.

Good night, and good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,685 ✭✭✭storker

For the people you're happy to see being denied the opportunity to work remotely. It's pretty obvious from the sneering attitude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 946 ✭✭✭gauchesnell

Ive literally ignored the trolls especially the one who is 100% negative. I dont even see their comments as it isnt worth my time. Remote is the future and it is great to see so many private and public employers embracing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭BhoyRayzor

Those of us who dealt with foreign offices/branches from before the pandemic understand that remote works long term, proven further by the last two years in an Irish context.

Forcing face to face interactions will have a cost for a company as well. Making people needlessly commute to an office, just for the only benefit of person collaboration, resulting in them losing all of the benefits from remote working is not beneficial for employees or employers.

WFH, blended or office only - the choice should be there for all that have proven the work can be done regardless of where they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,035 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

If you think colleagues are toxic in person - they can be a million times worse when they don't have to look you in the eye, and can simply do the nasty stuff on-line.

And as for managers-justifying-their-jobs: Managers are more essential than ever in dispersed teams. When people are co-located, their is a degree of informal collaboration, which sometimes can lead to effectively self-managing teams. But when they are dispersed, there's no chance of this happening. Someone has to be officially responsible for ensuring that collaboration happens, resources are available and progress-blockers are resolved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,257 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

There's a particular very loud person I'll gladly never share an office with again.

If / when we're forced to work 1 or 2 days a week (pointlessly) in the office, I'll do my best to schedule them for the days he's not there.

Last Friday I did my first day in the office since October, it was fcuking pointless to be honest, 1 other person there in a ~40 person open plan office. Ironically it was loud guy but he's quiet when he's got no-one else to talk (shout) at 😁 but I would have got more work done at home.

I ride a motorcycle and I did enjoy the spin in and out but I'd still rather work from home full time.

Scrap the cap!

The carry on on this thread is laughable,sneering attitude? I can't disagree ? As I asked previously is this supposed to be a safe space or is it ok to disagree ?

The selfishness and entitled nature of some of the posters here is galling to be honest.

Working from home, for me, as someone with a young family, a house with plenty of space and a dedicated home office outside the house is perfect really. I'm also at the point of my career where I don't necessarily need any guidance from anyone else either (but I am not naive enough to think I know it all ). But I realize that there are tonnes of people who won't be best served by remote working, including myself when I was younger and making my way.

I had a chat today with a partner in one of the larger law firms in town. He has hardly been in, happy enough with it, happy for it to continue, but said the trainees are really struggling and a lot of them haven't progressed anywhere near where they should have over the past 2 years.

Anyway as long as everyone posting here is alright jack.

Honestly I dont know why you keep commenting as you dont seem to know or like anything about remote working. Newsflash I see my colleagues and can look them in the eye while working remotely.

And your comments about management and staff being co located are insane and outdated. I have never met in person a lot of my colleagues and probably never will and we will probably never be based in the same location (all nothing to do with covid). Does it affect how we work together - No. Why - because Im an adult and a professional. I havent met my manager in person in 2 years and this has caused zero issues.

I have collaborated and worked with dispersed teams all my career. A complete non issue.

The positive and helpful contributions are really great here but honestly you are better off on ignore as you have nothing positive to add.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Every post Bumble makes makes her sound more like a dinosaur I'm afraid.

Job hunting came up among friends yesterday, two immediate questions for recruiters:

A) Can you meet X salary expectation?

B) WFH?

If either of them is a no it's a polite f_ck off. The in office brigade are either going to massively overpay or get the dregs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I have a permanent work from home job. Company culture is remote. I will never accept a job from a company that either insists on office or hybrid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭ Jermaine Gorgeous Plumber

Second paragraph is completely wrong from my experience. Have been more than able to collaborate with my colleagues without a manager having to organise things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭ Jermaine Gorgeous Plumber

Yep. I'm talking to a recruiter later and those will be the exact two questions I have (worded in a nice professional manner).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭JoChervil

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,035 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

And the rest of you don't? Yeah, right.

Enjoy your happy place.

"The carry on on this thread is laughable,sneering attitude? I can't disagree ? As I asked previously is this supposed to be a safe space or is it ok to disagree ?"

Nobody said you couldn't disagree. You expressed your opinion and someone else expressed their opinion about your opinion. That's how discussion works.

"The selfishness and entitled nature of some of the posters here is galling to be honest".

Please explain how people seeking to improve their working conditions and work/life balance amounts to "entitlement".  As for selfishness, people have a duty to look after themselves and their families. Most people put that priority above self-sacrifice in the name of an employer who is likely to lay them off as soon as the bean-counters deem it financially expedient to do so. 

"Working from home, for me, as someone with a young family, a house with plenty of space and a dedicated home office outside the house is perfect really. I'm also at the point of my career where I don't necessarily need any guidance from anyone else either (but I am not naive enough to think I know it all ). But I realize that there are tonnes of people who won't be best served by remote working, including myself when I was younger and making my way."

So does everyone else. I don't recall anyone saying that everyone must work from home from now on. It's quite obvious that it won't suit some jobs, it won't suit some personalities, it won't suit some homes and it won't suit some businesses. That's almost goes without saying. That fact remains that where remote working has worked well for the past two years, many people are keen to continue with it. You call that entitlement. I call it good sense.

"I had a chat today with a partner in one of the larger law firms in town. He has hardly been in, happy enough with it, happy for it to continue, but said the trainees are really struggling and a lot of them haven't progressed anywhere near where they should have over the past 2 years."

So what? Require more time in the office for trainees, then gradually increase their WFH opportunities. Or not. Sorted.

"Anyway as long as everyone posting here is alright jack."

I think you need to take a look in the mirror there. You're alright Jack because you think the office is better and you're happy to see other people denied WFH because you think they're the selfish ones. I have to wonder about the mentality that looks at someone who seeks a better work-life balance, less time spent on a soul-destroying commute, more time with family...and sees a character flaw. Astounding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

Have just accepted an IT job with WFH option. Moving out of the onsite support stuff.

The commute is just too much, I'm not spending 2+ hours a day in a car

So i disagree and you say i am sneering, you seem to understand how discussion works but yet accused me of sneering because i disagreed.

Entitlement refers to people who want to work from home because it suits them and their needs but not necessarily the person who is paying them, of course they are also perfectly entitled to seek alternative employment elsewhere.

You say no one is sayong everyone must work from home, nor am i saying that everyone should work from the office full time. But the office is important and will remain important, full time remote working isnt suitable for too many careers imo, but that sentiment doesnt go down well in this thread. Fully remote working was the only option available for the past 2 years so it had to work, that doesnt mean its a good long term solution, the same as lots of other things that were in place for the past 2 years.

Finally my opinion on WFH will only 'deny' a relatively small number of people the right to WFH 100% of the time, and if thats what they want good luck to them, so where you get that im happy to see others denied WFH. Im not happy or sad, i just have a different opinion to you. And lay off the hyperbole, soul destroying commute, if someone has a soul destroying commute then they should have been looking for another job long before covid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,938 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

I don't really agree that you need to work in person to work well together.

The best two people I have ever worked with, I have only ever seen on zoom calls.

Several of the people I hate working with I ate lunch with them in the office on a daily basis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Lol same here.

I was in the office last week. On my floor there's usually about 50 there were 6 or 7. You could tell they didn't like their peace being disturbed.

The selfishness and entitled nature of some of the posters here is galling to be honest.

This is just an amazing thing to say. Imagine this being your view of people who want to WFH? Galled no less, at something that has nothing to do with you for the benefit of (most likely) large employers making buckets of profit.

no this is my view of people who only look at their own circumstances. And the large employers who may or may not make 'buckets' of profit are paying the wages.

Everyone should put their own circumstances #1 by a gigantic distance.

And they are paying the wages, so what? They are getting your time/experience/skills in return. And probably benefiting to a far greater degree than they are paying for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Companies and people mostly only look at their own circumstances. Isn't that the norm though.

• Advertisement

If you arent getting paid fairly by your employer id suggest thats a failing on your part to be honest.

Advertisement