Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will Comedy End?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,230 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Boris has weighed in via a spokesperson.

He is "deeply disturbed". 😂

Between that and David Baddiel explaining what an acceptable nazi joke is, we have I think reached peak farce with this one.

"as funny as cot death"...

yikes.

I'd prefer to watch 100's of videos of a pug doing a little nazi salute than listen to people use the lack of humour in cot death as a jovial analogy tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 13,988 ✭✭✭✭briany

Jimmy Carr basically saying the quiet part out loud, there. If every Roma Gypsy living in Europe were rounded up tomorrow and sent off to camps where they would be gassed to death, the public probably wouldn't be that bothered. That is to say that the level of public outcry - which there would undoubtedly be - would be disproportionately inferior to the level of slaughter being committed. And that's even if, unlike with the Holocaust in WW2, the public had full knowledge of what was going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,830 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I think normally society dictates what comedy is. Various difference tastes. But the problem is I feel now, is that a very small vocal minority can create uproar. It is by product of the internet age I think.

I mean look at boards.ie half the time you would assume you are on an American site. Basically for such people who copy America and Americanisms, phrases, thought processes normally seem like the vocal minority types who like to create uproar. Or outrage.

Comedy will still exist, but I think it will just evolve and force future comedians to be more astute in order to 'navigate' past the vocal minority. But still deliver the same message. I think it will have to be 'coded' in anecdote or analogy etc

Post edited by gormdubhgorm on

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

• Registered Users Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Are being offended by a joke right there? You know it's not literal, they're just saying he doesn't find Count Dankula funny. Are you feigning offence because he's mocking someone you look up to?

Not even a little bit.

For personal reasons, I don't particularly like references to cot death, but I am certainly not offended. I just, personally, find it crass. I am not calling for it to be taken down, I just don't like it myself and believe that many would be less "offended" by a dog doing a little salute than someone using an emotive subject like cot death flippantly to make a point.

I certainly don't "look up to" Count Dankula. What gave you the impression that I did?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Fair enough, questions asked, questions answered. I think that's the way comedy should be taken. You find it crass, but you can just say it's not for you. I think if everyone can have that attitude there's no risk to comedy. The only real issue is things like hate speech laws being extended to cover comedy. We already have some bizarre blasphemy laws that aren't being enforced, but could be, and the UK has some really restrictive, nasty legislation that results in someone who teaches their pug to raise a paw getting a stupid fine.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 18,134 ✭✭✭✭rob316

The real outrageous thing is I watched that special over Xmas, I barely remember it as it was sandwiched between plenty of other risky jokes. The audience laughed and I did too. And I can **** bet people who watched it, shrugged it off and are now appalled as it's the thing to be woke about.

Now his career should be over? Give me a break.

Comedy is subjective and shouldn't be sanitized. You could go through every comedians material and find offensive or risky stuff, do we condemn that too.

Frankie Boyle, the darling of the left these days, once made a joke about katie Price only marrying a cage fighter because her disabled son Harvey had crazy handicapped strength and her husband was there to stop Harvey raping her.

I laughed at the joke, not because I find rape or disability funny, but because of how shocking it was.

Does that make me a bad person? No. Does it make Frankie Boyle a bad person? No.

But **** me, perspective people. Laugh or don't. If you don't like it, move on. Why should you decide what is acceptable for others? You find it unacceptable? Great don't accept it and watch something you do.

Brendan O'Carroll should be **** himself that the trans lobby are gonna to go for him next for appropriation.

You left out the first bit.

Apparently Jordan and Peter Andre are fighting each other over custody of Harvey, well eventually one of them’ll lose and have to keep him.

Also Bring Your Own Boris is disgusted, when did he become left?

I never said Boris was(?) although I'd imagine he'd throw his hat into the ring at anyone who could take the pressure off him at the moment.

I was talking about Frankie Boyle.

Why did you think I was saying Boris was left? I didn't mention him. I care about his view on comedy as much as I care about yours.

"Apparently Jordan and Peter Andre are fighting each other over custody of Harvey, well eventually one of them’ll lose and have to keep him."

😂🤣

I have a disabled son and I found that Frankie Boyle joke about Jordan funny. Funny as in that is outrageous, genius to come up with that actually.

Do I laugh at my son and other mentally disabled kids? No but these jokes are meant to provoke the taboo and your darkest thoughts.

All the people offended never laughed their asses off to Eddie Murphy, Richard Pryor, Chris rock? Sure they didn't

You claimed Frankie is the darling of the left these days. Like it was solely people on the right who enjoyed his comedy when he made that joke.

A comedian growing up in Glasgow with Irish Parents. What political persuasion do you think Frankie was?

And what has political persuasion got to do with the topic?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Boris is only using that as a distraction from his own problems. It's all about giving Big Dog one more day in Number 10.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

Wasn't Carr's joke just a riff on that old one that goes something like:

Hitler, Himmer and Heydrich are discussing the final solution. Himmler says "we'll kill 6 million Jews and a dozen Eskimos." Heydrich says "Why the Eskimos?" Himmler turns to Hitler and says "You see, mein Fuehrer, no one ever cares about the Jews."

I was referring to his "comedy" show on BBC at the moment which is insufferably tailored to people on the left.

I don't care what his personal political leanings are. He's a comedian, not a politician.

But the vast majority of people I see looking to vilify a comedian for telling a joke are, to be polite, left oriented.

I can't imagine many self identifying leftists admitting to laughing at a joke about a black disabled child raping his mother.

But Frankie gets a pass these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

They are modern puritans, laughter is a bourgeoisie pastime, an insult to the harsh reality of working class lives.

Like so much of the modern left they wouldn't know or willingly interact with people outside of their own rarefied clique.

Wasn't always like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

I seen that vid and I nearly shat myself I laughed that hard throughout the vid… he insulted everyone and everything … and as others pointed out … was released at Xmas and was great.., then all of a sudden it starts “trending” to be enraged by joke … so all out for him now .. fukin pathetic

Oh right, so you are one of those lads who sees everything from the prism of left and right, must be exhausting. 😕

So when Frankie claimed the Queen was so old her pussy was haunted, who did that offend?

😂

Nice to see common sense here and taking it for what it is. Twitter is like a competition at how much better you can tweet your disgust and condemnation than the last person. Absolute cesspit.

Not at all.

I just commented on the fact that at the moment, his comedy is mostly lauded by the left leaning people. I find it stilted and boring. But that's just my opinion.

Life is more nuanced than television schedules, but you'd want to be ignorant to not acknowledge that there is a huge intolerance to any humour broadcast that isn't tailored towards a left leaning political view these days.

When he mentioned the queen's pussy, it was much more acceptable to say whatever you liked. I'm not sure who it offended. Perhaps the queen?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,951 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Well, you are laughing at other mentally disabled kids if you are laughing at Harvey?

Say what you like about Katie Price, but she's been a fantastic Mum to him.

The abuse that kid gets is unreal. Punching down as someone else said here.

Post edited by anewme on

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

I think Frankie is as funny as he has ever been. For me the best comedian working today. God knows why people ever thought he was anything other than left wing then or now. He gets his own show and has the audacity to have a diverse range of comedians on his show (even a Limerick man wearing a plastic bag) and talk about politics. I can understand that having a political comedy show might mean the comedy won't appeal to everyone as opposed to his stuff on Mock the Week. Each to their own I suppose. I honestly think the majority of his monologues at the end of most episodes (New World Order) are some of the funniest things I've seen in years. His one on Dogging was genius (imo for the pedants).

As for Jimmy I would also be a fan. When I heard about this latest media frenzy I couldn't remember the joke despite having watched it. So I'm a monster it seems. I automatically assumed their was context being ignored and shock horror indeed there was. The only crime was it wasn't that funny anyway but it was part of his usual thing of going from mild to extreme jokes to see how much the crowd could take.

All I ever think about when things like this happen is that famous episode of Chris Morris' Brass Eye. Media loves to tell us when bad things have happened, the professionally outraged get their time on sky news, the anti-woke people get to talk about how Orwell's future is coming true and the rest of just shrug.

Advertisement