Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dealing with trainer who seems to have temperment issue

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

A few seconds later after we'd sorted the stuff on our desks and were ready to go he said "right lads, ciao... disappear quietly and I'll see ye in the morning"

What he was actually saying was head out of work quietly..might have been earlier than expected finish and that he would see ye in the morning?.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

How many jobs have you gone through at this stage brid, another idiotic thread from someone with too much time on their hands

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Nah, they’d be out the door without their feet touching the floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Brid Hegarty

I'd question your level of passive aggressiveness you have in you felt the need to deliberately spell Quint's name wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

Ok I'm only going to deal with the 2 comments made to you. The "Lambs to the slaughter" is fairly common to be said. It's meant to reflect the innocence of the new starters. I mean we had a new starter at one point who was extremely enthusiastic about everything to do with work & we joked "ah we'll soon knock that out of you" - would you find that offensive?

As for the "Disappear" - granted none of us were there & can't know the tone but I mean, come on! He was letting you go, possibly early, and joking about it I'm guessing. I've told new hires to "run, be free" before and similar at the end of each day on their first week. It's more that I'm probably going to be staying later & I don't want them to feel like they should stay too. Nothing more, nothing less.

You say you had a bad feeling about this particular manager from the get go. Was this before you took the job, before he said any of these things? If so, is it possible that you're projecting that initial bad feeling & looking for something to validate the feeling you had?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭hawley

Have you considered counselling? If you are meeting so many hostile people at work it might mean that you are reading too much into each interaction. How were the past few days?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,782 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I think this sums up your misreading situations, or looking for aggressiveness, if you read that in to getting a name wrong. I feel its a matter of all out of step except yourself.

Past few days were fine... only dealing with other managers.

Counselling can't help only adds insult to injury by taking your money.

Is this a huge organisation? There seems to be an awful lot of managers.

You see that poster noticed that I was particular enough to correct my mistake from Quinn to Quint. Flinty997, having read both spelling forms decided to put down 'Clint', presumably in the hopes that it would drive me spare. He/she knew that someone like you wouldn't be bothered to re-reading the conversation history before accusing me of being paranoid. He/she's basically using what level of paranoia I might already have to their advantage. Not too dis-similar from the way Jeff Bridges character was manipulated in the movie Arlington Road!

Post edited by Brid Hegarty on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,572 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Enough said. Your attitude sums the situation up perfectly. Good luck in life - you're going to need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

This person (brid) is bat **** crazy and should be checked in a psychiatric ward with there level of paranoia. Pay them no more attention it's what they crave

• Registered Users Posts: 12,234 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Actually it was just a typo on my part. I never noticed your spelling.

Its worth noting, that thus far you've mis-interpreted (by quite a margin) every situation you've described, including the movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,338 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

@Brid Hegarty when you start a thread like this and the overwhelming response is that you've blown it out of proportion, what conclusions do you reach?

Now that you've gotten loads of responses to this thread, what do you think?

Says you... but you're hardly going to admit that you spelled it wrong deliberately!

You're also free to interpret the movie whatever way you want, but I think it's safe to say that Quint's behaviour would most certainly not be tolerated in an office environment... as I'm sure Chief Brody's wife would agree. There is a reason why Spielberg chose that character to be the one who died.

Do you think you might be obsessing over minutiae?

If someone is going to miss spell something to make a point or for humour they'll make it meaningful and/or fun. Not a random word that makes no sense. It's not logical or credible.

But it's not an office. You meet people like Quint in tough environments all the time. Using him as an example is yet another example of poor judgement.

Spielberg didn't decide anything he just followed the book. Also Quint is based on real person. What interpretation? What you said about the film was factually wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭NiceFella

Hi Brid,

While many posters have been aggressively opposed to your interpretation of these incidences, I tend to agree that these were innocuous situational quips that are not meant to be offensive.

The guy does sound like a bit of a fool, who has a bit of a persona within the org. Have met plenty of them in jobs and ended up really liking them in the end. Why? Because I didn't take them too seriously. For me if I really didn't like how he acted I'd probably pity him. It's not on you! You don't have to take his actions personally. Taking things personally all the time is a sure way to have a difficult life.

The more you pay attention to how You react (because that's all you have control over) the less and less of an issue these things become.

@Flinty997 Spielberg didn't decide anything he just followed the book. Also Quint is based on real person. What interpretation? What you said about the film was factually wrong.

Well then who ever bloody well decided to have him killed, the point still stands. Christ, the other day you couldn't spell his name and now you seem to know everything about the character. I don't care if Quint was even based on a real person that you actually knew, I am obviously going by his portrayal by Robert Shaw in the movie... nothing else. I wouldn't be using the book as a reference point anyway as I wouldn't expect your average person to have read it. But I, unlike you, can understand why the Chief said he was "certifiable" and why Hooper remarked "I can't take this abuse much longer". You are however entitled to your opinion... I'd just look try look up the meaning of the word 'factually' if I were you.

Post edited by Brid Hegarty on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,485 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

There is a word misspelled in the thread title, it should be "Trainee".

Another day, another thread about atypical human interaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

I have no idea what is going on in this thread.

I didn't spell it wrong autocorrect did.

I simply looked it up why they killed Quint after you mentioned it as to why the character was killed. Because killing him for being grumpy old git doesn't make any sense after all the bonding.

Post edited by Flinty997 on

It never occured to me to think of Jaws as a psychological revenge movie against Quint.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Because it isn’t.

I mean with this with the greatest respect, OP. Have you ever spoken to a professional about the usual frequency with which you encounter people who seem to have it out for you? And about your inability to address communication issues directly?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,180 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

So, banter is dead now?

I don't want to live in an Ireland like that.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 21,050 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Depends on the context though which we’re not getting here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,050 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

You’re not really getting your point across using the term “banter talk” , the recent cricket scandal was all “banter “

Advertisement