Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Go-Ahead Dublin City Routes - Updates and Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Where will this 3rd company be getting its drivers from?

If DB and GAI cant get drivers then what chance will a new company have? They wont be offering more money or better conditions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

It doesn't matter how many operators are there, it would still be same total of number of routes set by the NTA. If DB lose some routes and they go to the GAI or another new operators, DB wouldn't need all the extra drivers left and another operator would partially absorb that surplus.

Just the very beginning would be challenging to a new operator, especially getting these drivers in (this is probably what you're talking about). GAI also was recruiting a good few months, and they were getting new routes in phases so were constantly looking for staff and filling the new gaps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,230 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

more then likely not unless they have the exact same conditions and terms as db or something else that would make it worth drivers while considering switching to them.

i don't think many TUPED over to go ahead from dublin bus at the time when they won routes.

and if it is the case that even db are having issues getting drivers then forget about any other operator unless they can come up with something attractive.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

I would hope GAI disappear completely. From emailing all of my local TDs about the “service” provided I don’t think I’m the only one, and I’m 100% sure I’m not the only one fed up of their nonsense stock replies or downright lies if the response from 2 of the TDs are anything to go by.

DB having problems because they are very slow in a recruitment process and miss some drivers losing the patience of waiting for the answer or even an update for weeks. DB also are very picky choosing the drivers. GAI are happy to take there drivers. I would guess that another operator would also see this opportunity.

i don't think it's much of an opportunity ultimately as a lot seem to transfer off to db in the end.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

If they did disappear, whoever replaced them would face the exact same problems. The majority of their problems are caused by either driver shortages (which is a problem across the whole industry, and won't be solved by the disappearance of any bus company) or by their buses spending most their time queuing patiently behind private cars. Your TDs might ask questions in the Dáil or in committees or whatever, but their time would be better served advocating for improved bus priority measures, especially in the suburbs. But they won't do that, because that'd be very bad news for motorists.

Even when they have drivers, they ditch stops etc in my experience. Seems to be a culture within the company that the customer doesn’t matter. That’s my experience anyway.

Completely agree. DB has improved very little since the CIE monopoly times. An old school mentality without a real modern focus to the customer is still there.

i think his post is talking about go ahead rather then db.

• Advertisement

They sometimes have no contractual alternative but to ditch stops (i.e. curtail a trip and take a shortcut to the nearest bus stop where it'll be able to depart on time). This is as a result of delays on a previous journey, almost always caused by traffic. The customer doesn't matter to the NTA - the bus companies do what they are contractually obliged to do to avoid fines. And Go Ahead is statistically the NTA's best performing operator by a considerable distance. There isn't a chance of them losing their contract. A more customer-focused approach would involve the NTA paying its contractors to have spare buses and drivers on standby (at busy termini like Tallaght, Blanchardstown, Dún Laoghaire, Bray, etc) at certain times of day to cover for late-running.

Alternatively, people could lobby their councils to solve the problem of buses getting delayed behind SUVs every morning, afternoon and evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭TranslatorPS

At the very least when GAI don't operate, it's usually because of one of three reasons:

a) the previous trip was so late that the one not operated would also be ridiculously late (although I have issues with the way this is actually framed within the contract when compared to some contracts I know elsewhere in Europe - the NTA still have much to learn here IMHO);

b) there was no driver available to cover the duty (while it was pointed out earlier that it's an industry-wide problem, GAI are not too innocent in that their terms could be a little more welcoming - in other words, they could do well to improve their staff retention);

c) there was no bus available in the garage to pull out - this used to be an issue in the earlier days when GAI just didn't have enough buses to actually operate the service, so this could be fended off to the NTA, but at the same time there are little bits like the 18+76+236 duties taking their breaks in Ballymount garage, which frankly does increase the number of buses needed on the road, and this happened due to a now ex-GAI driver (this group of routes used to take their breaks in Liffey Valley SC - those who know what happened, they know).

Meanwhile, my experience of DB not operating a trip is actually more often down to either one of these two:

a) drivers deliberately messing around in order to drop pieces of work, be it trips or entire laps, or indeed entire duty pieces. Tricks such as driving slowly to arrive after the next departure so that the driver is sent up to start further along the route, or if well timed, is sent up to the handover point, or breaking late so that drivers can then play the "take my whole break, return late" card - I believe there was a motion years back to make drivers only take the legally required 45 minutes if their break started late so that they can return as close to the schedule as possible - of course it never went through;

b) spare drivers refusing to take a duty. I am told that for whatever reason this is possible. An example from my personal experience is from the last Dublin Bus 17A timetable, where Mon-Fri 17A/54 was a 11h45 spreadover duty (the longest s/over on the schedule back then) with a 3h25 break - essentially a split duty: if the rostered driver didn't show up, usually nobody from the spare drivers would take it, at least not in the morning. That there would be a 40 minute gap between 9.10 and 9.50 from Blanch? Pfffft.

Of course, GAI's point a also applies to DB, but sometimes it can be a coin toss whether the trip you're missing is due to truly external issues, or because of somebody tossing around...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭Tickityboo

b) spare drivers refusing to take a duty. I am told that for whatever reason this is possible. An example from my personal experience is from the last Dublin Bus 17A timetable, where Mon-Fri 17A/54 was a 11h45 spreadover duty (the longest s/over on the schedule back then) with a 3h25 break - essentially a split duty: if the rostered driver didn't show up, usually nobody from the spare drivers would take it, at least not in the morning. That there would be a 40 minute gap between 9.10 and 9.50 from Blanch? Pfffft.

You're wrong I'm afraid a spare driver cannot refuse a duty that is within their working hours. However a driver who goes in on the bench to try and get an earlier finishing duty can refuse whatever duty is offered to them should they wish to do so.

a) drivers deliberately messing around in order to drop pieces of work, be it trips or entire laps, or indeed entire duty pieces. Tricks such as driving slowly to arrive after the next departure so that the driver is sent up to start further along the route, or if well timed, is sent up to the handover point, or breaking late so that drivers can then play the "take my whole break, return late" card

This applies to Go Ahead too. Although their tighter turnaround times (and insistence on never running more than a minute early, even at the end of a journey, where an extra few minutes might ultimately prove useful) mean that a driver doesn't even need to "throw the anchor down" to get a curtailment. On certain routes, all they have to do is drive in accordance with company regulations and the law, align the bus neatly with the footpath, wait until passengers are seated before moving off smoothly, etc. On plenty of occasions, I did 90% of a trip on-time, stopping frequently to ensure that I wasn't running early, in the full knowledge that I'd be hitting heavy traffic near the end. And with only five minutes turnaround time, the next trip was guaranteed to get curtailed.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

a) drivers deliberately messing around in order to drop pieces of work, be it trips or entire laps, or indeed entire duty pieces. Tricks such as driving slowly to arrive after the next departure so that the driver is sent up to start further along the route, or if well timed, is sent up to the handover point, or breaking late so that drivers can then play the "take my whole break, return late" card

There are very many variations on that game and there are so many ways a driver can drag out how long a lap takes them that haven't even been mentioned in your post and some are more obvious than others. But lets be honest, it happens outside Ireland too so is not exclusively an Irish problem.

However with the fact there is now vehicle tracking for depots and real time position data, it's nowhere near as bad as it used to be 10 years ago where a lot of this was much harder for the operator to spot as they didn't have the data feeds that they have accessible nowadays.

This wasn't explicitly clarified to me at the time I heard the explanation, so thanks. Then again it could have been assumed that I was giving out about a particularly long duty (such as the one I mentioned there), but nonetheless, that's much better.

I vehemently oppose any and all running early on the principle of betraying those awaiting in favour of those already on-board, but that doesn't change the fact that running times are seriously messed up on some routes - especially those routes that still use the original running times that went into force when GAI took over the routes (in particular, 33A, 33B, 102, 104, 184, 185, 238 come to mind - 239 was particularly impossible as well). The problem with traffic is that it's of course unpredictable, and hence so are the actual times, but I dare think that much can be still done on that front. Also, while at it - they should avoid the absolute mess they're making of the 17 and 18 where each trip appears to have its own running time profile - that is not how AVL data estimation should work nor be used, as I suspect that's how they got to that particular mess.

GAI can afford to attempt tighter turnaround times simply because they have a better grip on actual running times than DB do, but this is heavily interconnected with my previous paragraph, so here we are.

(Yes - I did consider applying to GAI for the scheduler position when it came up twice in the last 7 months: for a whole 5 seconds, as I am in no position to seek work in Dublin at the moment.)

Of course there are numerous ways of messing around here - I merely listed the ones that came to mind when writing this.

Another aspect of this is that there are often times when running times are just insufficient for the route. Dublin Bus' AVL timings aren't exactly the most generous things on the planet, so you can be guaranteed that if an AVL trip arrives at terminus after the next departure on paper, there is a noticeably small chance it'll make it in reality. (Alas, this isn't a DB topic.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,034 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Being honest, the last thing passengers need is to have to go through the trauma of yet another brand new operator learning the ropes. It takes a new operator between six and nine months to get up to speed, as it did with GAI, and from a passenger perspective this isn’t good.

I think the thing with Go-Ahead was though that they appointed a fair few management that had no experience of the Irish bus market and had never run services here beforehand. They were not just new to the Dublin City bus service network, they were new to running buses in Ireland full stop and I think that hardly helped them. Essentially they had a plan which probably looked good in theory, but in practice it was not so straightforward and the lack of that practical understanding and experience of running buses in Dublin etc, really showed.

I was speaking to someone connected to the bus industry in the UK a few weeks back who has also worked in Ireland and he told me that both National Express and Go-Ahead felt that they could just treat it as similar to a UK bus company and run it in a similar way and that most of their learnings from the UK would be equally valid here as people are the same and the markets are similar and that simply isn't and wasn't ever the case.

Leon Daniels, who spearheaded the takeover of Aircoach by First all those years ago, also recently commented in a podcast that this is a mistake that First also made and spoke about how the UK industry thinks it knows the Irish market more than it actually does. To paraphrase him, It might look similar to the UK in some ways, but it's not. That's not to say that anyone from the UK shouldn't work in the market over here, just local knowledge really is essential and required and it was pretty obvious early on that Go-Ahead lacked that.

I'm not totally against another operator coming in personally, but it has to be one who actually knows the operating environment and if it's one who does not know the operating environment then they need to get in a management team who do know it. Parachuting a whole management team in from the UK who have no experience here was always going to lead to the kind of problems that Go-Ahead had. The NTA also need to take these things into account more when assessing bids and I would even want experience of the Irish market and understanding of it to be part of the tender review process. We need to prevent what happened at the start with Go-Ahead happening again, without doubt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

Go-Ahead going back to regular M-F timetables from tomorrow

• Advertisement

Farcical that they were given 2.5 months on a Saturday schedule ni the first place.

Are you suggesting that a service that was undeliverable should have continued to be advertised, whatever the rights and wrongs of the situation they found themselves in?

As a prospective passenger I think it would be better to advertise a service that they could deliver as opposed to one with massive numbers of cancellations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Surely the service they could deliver should be the one that they committed to as part of the PSO?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 315 ✭✭soundman45

Are they still losing large numbers of drivers?

They've had a big recruitment drive, so they may (or may not, I don't know) have enough drivers right now, at this moment in time. But I'm not aware of them having done anything to address the retention issues that have plagued them since 2018.

I could be wrong... time will tell.

Of course but if that isn’t possible (due to drivers out from Covid or leaving), there is not much point in advertising something that they cannot deliver.

You’ll only get people’s backs up even more by advertising services that can’t operate.

Dublin Bus has also suffered driver absences and services cancelled more often than normal of late, but presumably with a larger workforce they can get cover from overtime.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,554 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

RTÉ News has reported that there is a potential bidding war going to take place between two public transit companies in Australia to buyout the Go-Ahead Group in the UK.

The 2 Australian companies involved in this bidding process are Kinetic Holding & Kelsian Group.

This story has been reported yesterday. Has there any new updates in how this bidding process has gone on between these 2 operators to buyout Go-Ahead which does includes it's Irish operations.

I think that they should be providing the service they tendered for, which they haven’t. They’ve been a mess since Day 1 with buses not turning up and them claiming they they had. 4 years later we still have crap like below. And it was the same yesterday. They cancel multiple buses every day.

As indeed are Dublin Bus and Bus Éireann right now too.

Indeed, a shortage of drivers is a sector wide problem at the moment that is effecting all operators.

Unfortunately there seems to be the view from some that only services that an operator tweets about being cancelled are being cancelled, when that is far from the case as Real Time Ireland shows every day.

• Advertisement

I take multiple buses a day. I’ve never had a DB one cancelled or not turn up, while I’ve had lots of GA buses not turn up.

I’m not excusing GAI at all.

But if you think it isn’t happening elsewhere you’re mistaken. DB don’t announce them on their website - you have to look at the TFI real time app to see the cancelled and curtailed departures.

I’ve had a cancellation or curtailment most days this past fortnight.

3 x 15b in a row were cancelled on Tuesday evening in both directions, along with multiple 14, 15, 16 and 65b departures.

Every single day there are multiple cancellations or curtailments on cross-city routes due to “operational issues”, code for lack of staff. As @devnull says - the TFI Real Time app will tell you what cancellations and curtailments are happening when you select a particular stop.

Buses parked on the river side of Eden Quay is a sure sign of journeys being curtailed.

The entire industry is suffering a staffing shortage right now and that is seeping through to service reliability.

The link below lists all of the BE departures cancelled yesterday in the Northwest:

https://www.buseireann.ie/service_updates.php?id=6010&month=Jun

My own view is that the NTA need to cop onto the fact that the companies don’t have the staff and produce schedules that CAN be delivered. They should put a halt on expanding services until the companies can actually deliver the existing ones.

You just need to go to the respective companies Twitter r or FB pages. Reams of complaints on GA, and most of the complaints on DB are from GA punters who don’t know who runs the route.

I must be imagining the issues that I outlined above then?

Every company has some issues. GA is an issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭john boye

As someone above said about Eden Qy, The amount of cross-city routes at the moment running short C versions is very noticeable and is usually due to no relief driver. Sure you only have to listen to control reading out the long list of available boards for overtime every morning around half 8 to understand how bad things are atm.

The last 3 letters of your post are the most relevant, atm.

Bit with GA, this isn’t a recent development. Since they took over I’ve had to use 33a, 33b and 17a. From day 1 there were buses not showing. This has continued throughout their time here. Covid or a lack of drivers doesn’t make their customer service, and in one case, their managing director lie about services. The sooner they’re gone the better in my eyes.

The main reason why you would consider GAI to be an issue in particular is because their scale of operations is so much smaller than the other two major PSO operators, so the amount of cancellations they may have becomes a considerably larger proportion, one easier to highlight and notice.

Personally I have been stood up by Dublin Bus a number of times in the past as well - before the pandemic though, mind you, so cancellations at the time were more likely to be due to the previous departure running noticeably late, but I've had my share of departures cancelled outright due to the lack of a driver.

GAI's problems are really down to their relatively less attractive pay, which results in rather nasty staff retention rates. And it's a lot more difficult to find spare drivers when you have a pool of about 90 (that's my guesstimate on what the Commuter network should employ to cover the amount of duties I know they had 1.5 years ago) than when you have a pool of about 400 (my expectations on some of the larger DB garages).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭p_haugh

the issue of people complaining to DB about GAI routes etc should hopefully be resolved once the integrated TFI customer service starts up.

As a paying customer, none of the above is my problem. If they can’t provide the service they tendered for, they should be removed. TUPE their drivers over to another company and offer more money

• Advertisement

Another company won't make a difference. They're doing exactly what the NTA wants them to do. And that's a big part of why they're losing drivers. Even if those routes went back to Dublin Bus, they'd have to operate them in the exact same way. On a shoestring, essentially. The contract itself is the problem. Even if they somehow had enough drivers, half of them would be sitting in Ballymount scratching themselves in the afternoons because the NTA never gave them enough buses.

It isn't, rightly so, but you started posting in an area where people have actual answers, so you're getting one.

It doesn't matter who the company is at this point, the problem is industry-wide. There aren't enough drivers to spare anywhere. The framing of the NTA-GAI contract is a part of it (although they do have a perfectly sufficient fleet for the commuter routes), the company's internal policy is another, and then that's on top of the international shortage due to the effects of the pandemic and what not.

Another part of the contract of course is that it's rather difficult to terminate it - a few trips missing every day is far from enough for it to happen. You'd have to have half the service missing all the time and the other half not running on time for the termination clauses to kick in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭bikeman1

A cursory glance on the Swords Rd (my corridor) right now shows a 41 and a 16 cancelled from town heading North. And a 16 what says stop cancelled which presumably means the route will be picked up in city centre.

So, yes DB do struggle too. I think what exacerbates the GAI issue is that many of their routes are very unique and cancelling one is very obvious compared to say the 41s or 16s which have other routes to cover for them for most of their route.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

The NTA are not going to be terminating that contract under any circumstances - tendering is a cornerstone policy and so is having multiple operators.

Post edited by dfx- on

Yes but four trips missing off the 18 is completely unacceptable must be a new record bar periods of extreme disruption such as a serious accident or the like. A 1hr 40min gap on route that's supposed every 20 mins is a disgrace.

I don't know what happened there but why a bus couldn't be pulled from another route especially the 76 as they're interworked baffles me.

I wasn't suggesting they would - merely stating (after a cursory glance through the contract itself) that it's so difficult to terminate it, either the Apocalypse, the Kim dynasty, or something to that extreme effect would have to happen for a termination to be considered... and even then you could say it's a third party act anyway.

The 75 is prone to missing or "cancelled" buses too. Any day of the week.

I certainly think that the NTA have been too lax in drawing up contracts that penalise individual cancellations, but do not add more severe penalties for cancelling departures that are directly after one another.

There should also never be a situation where the last departure on a route can be cancelled. Rather than the more severe financial penalties that such action attracts, it should be cast in stone that they should operate.

They're also low (or low-ish) frequency, which means that a cancellation creates a larger and more noticeable gap and has a knock-on effect on the next bus. And as a smaller operator, they have fewer options than DB when it comes to moving resources around and filling gaps.

• Advertisement

Agree with all of this, BUT there should never be situations where on such lower frequency routes that two or more departures in a row are cancelled due to staffing issues.

Control need to manage the resource better.

Advertisement