Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2022 - No PM requests - See Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Actually you don't need optimizers on an East/West split - as odd as that sounds. I was always of the impression you needed optimizers if the aspects were different, but I was wrong. (albeit there are caveats) You can connect the panels on each roof in series as normal, and then you connect the array of East & West in parallel back to the 1x input on the inverter. Losses are expected to be in the low single digits.

The caveats are that you have to have the same number of panels on east as you do on west, and they have to the same type. The reason for that is your matching the internal resistance of the east with the west.

For a more technical explanation of why this works....

Technical_Articel_East_West_Fachartikel_InterPV_EN (energymatters.com.au)

(skip down to sections 4&5 if your not interested in the technical bits)

It came up before and someone mentioned "I've different aspects and no optimizers and it works fine" - but at the time I didn't know the reason why. It struck me as strange back then , but yeah it'll work ok. It also might open up options for people who can quote for three roofs :-)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Interesting, wouldnt have thought that. But you'd need to be pure E/W as any tilt towards to south will screw it up.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,169 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

I wouldn't discount the Eddi just because you have Solar Thermal. I have both PV (+ Eddi) and Thermal and they are rather complementary, particularly during the winter months when the Thermal alone isn't enough to heat the tank to a usable temperature for showers/baths. Since installing the PV/Eddi I have no requirement to fire the gas boiler for water for about 10 months of the year.

I know others would say €500 is a lot, but for me it takes the hassle out of trying to match the demand to the generation. The Eddi takes care of all that for me and in return I get free hot water.

There are of course cheaper solar diverters, but the MyEnergi setup is great, particularly when you go all in (Eddi, Zappi + Hub).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭championc

Great idea @bullit_dodger. My initial setup was 3s3p into a charge controller into 48v Lead-Acid's and a 48v inverter.

Might perhaps be better in the solar "tip and troubleshooting topic" , but I stand by that no such thing as a dumb question. Jasus you'll never learn anything unless you ask questions! We need to foster that more....

So the quick answer is, "yes" you can charge your EV from your house battery. The longer answer is that it's not ideal. The problem is that charging and discharging a battery involves "losses". So if you put 10Kwhr into a battery expect to only get 8.5-9.0Kwhr of that energy back from the battery. The reason is complicated involving ion exchanges and chemistry. Ideally you want avoid

Solar panel -> house battery -> car battery

as your going through 2x "battery chargings" in the chain and you'd be increasing your losses. Better if you can just

Solar Panel -> Car battery.

But of course if your car is at the office, that's not always possible.

• Advertisement

Yeah, as mentioned I read someone's post about a year ago and they said that they had the same without optimizers and it threw me. I assumed they made a mistake until I found this out recently. In relation to orientation graememk while the white paper mentioned east/west, the effect is not specific in relation to orientation. NE/SW would work just as well, as would say 080/260. The main thing here is that

• you have to have the same number of panels in each array which you then
    • "paralellize" into the inverter.

Naturally no shading can occur on any panel (as you would expect) and the slope of the panels in each array can't change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Deagol

I've read through that paper and I'm still not 100% convinced even if I can't pick holes in the methodology. My own experience of watching the performance of panels even slightly shaded dragging the whole string down makes me very nervous. Problem is, that if someone tries it and it doesn't work for them, they have either spent a bunch of money on something that doesn't work or they have to spend a bunch more to get it working.

But hey, if anyone wants to try it and let us know how they get on I'd be glad of the practical experience information :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭championc

I also feel that putting maybe 5kWh into a 50kW car battery is fook all use. Of course, it's better than going out to the grid.

Everyone's a skeptic - LOL! I was somewhat dubious myself, but here's a solar installers opinion.

Solar Panel Design : North-East-West | MC Electrical

He's in Australia, so his "north" is our "south". The math makes sense - that's what convinced me. Math never lies. Might be better we continue this conversation over in ?

Solar PV Hints, Tips & Troubleshooting - Page 72 — boards.ie - Now Ye're Talkin'

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭mrm

Cheers. Yeah, it was basically about daytime battery load transfer to an EV that will only return in the evening and consequent choice of battery size. Gonna head to Tips and Troubleshooting thread for further questions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭jim-mcdee

How much have people been paying as a deposit for a system that is Grant approved? I've been quoted a deposit that is nearly 30% which seems excessive

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,169 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

50% here.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Deagol

I didn't pay a deposit, no way would I give anyone money without guarantee I can get it back if they go tits up... don't pay the ferryman :)

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭eirmail

Sounds a bit expensive. Why not get a couple of electric car chargers and offer your guests free charging? You could check on the EV forum if there would be a demand for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 NOTSLIM

Thanks for this insight. I currently have a GSHP which looks after all my hot water automatically on night rate in the event that solar thermal are not sufficient. However, your response has given me potentially another option for an Eddi - it could be potentially be placed on the HP buffer tank rather than then hot water cylinder (I have 2 separate tanks both with emergency back up immersions). I will have to go back over my usage data and look again at my calculations......

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭BazzyB

Hello,

Had my first quote today from one of the big ones on google, their engineer called out today.

Not looking for much mainly doing this to improve BER from C1,

• 10 Panels on the roof 3.97KW/h,
    • A hot water diverter,
    • No battery for now and no EV Charger

On a south facing semi D in Munster, easy access.

€9600 before grant

-€1800 grant

-€960 discount if I agree by Friday.

€6840 after grant and discount. How does that sound?

I see solar as a service mentioned here, after a quick look it would appear to be much cheaper for similar?

Thanks

Probably about €1500 more than you should pay - and that's being a little generous.

I'd probably advise a small battery to improve your overall efficiency. Ideally 5kwhr, but even a 2.5Kwhr one would help a lot.

Ah the pressure sell, a time limited offer. That's never a good sign. The price is on the high side. I would definitely consider a battery as there is a grant available for it. For me a minimum of a 5kw battery is a good starting point. I say this because you will kick yourself for going lower..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,328 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Even if the price was OK (which it isn't) I wouldn't deal with anyone pulling that high pressure sales tactic crap.

Tell them to sod off.

Also worth considering that the Eddi has an optional relay board which you can configure to call for heat from the Heat Pump. Configure the two outputs on the Eddi to the DWH cylinder and the buffer tank, and then use the output from the relay board to call for heat from the GSHP. You can configure thresholds above which there is sufficient surplus to run the GSHP etc. Below that, the surplus will just dump to one of the two immersions.

See example 13 in link below.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭BazzyB

Thanks for the responses,

The high pressure sale was well noted and a black mark in my book.

Hoping to add a battery at a later point depending on our usage profile, both work from home permanently so power usage is high during the day but often out and about for the evening and in bed early so generally low.

Waiting for a quote for solar as a service but they are saying they only make the trip to Cork once enough demand has built up.

Like everyone who comes here, you know your situation better than I or anyone else on this forum. That said, I'd re-echo the battery argument. I think your "missing a trick" there. There's a grant of €600 at the moment, and while we can't say what will happen in the future, it has been mentioned that the grants will be phased out from 2024 onwards. A battery, even if you are working from home helps improve the self-consumption of your investment. Overall it will reduce the amount of time for your panels to payback on your spend. It can be storing energy over a few hours which you can use by high consumption devices without importing from the grid. (Kettle, washing machine, etc)

Any of the online savings calculator will verify.....e.g. Solar PV Calculator (electricireland.ie)

Or to look at it another way, by coming to boards.ie you've probably saved yourself €1500 or there abouts with that quote. Use some of that money and get a battery, then come back in 12 months and thank the lads here :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 45,463 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

That's a poor quote. Send that price gouger packing!

The discount by Friday thing as well. A red flag.

Offer him 5k and no more. Even then it's probably a stretch.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,328 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Offer him €4.5k but tell him you'll up the offer to €5k if he accepts by Friday...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

Scandalous quote, its over by about 2.5k in my opinion, there are better prices out there.Unfortunately it now seems quite a few companies are charging exorbitant prices, the grant is now factored into quotes as some kind of free money for installers and not as a subsidy for householders.

Expect the same results with the new retrofit grants announced today.https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/retrofit-grants-25-000-offered-to-households-to-help-insulate-homes-1.4795335

• Registered Users Posts: 45,463 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

.Unfortunately it now seems quite a few companies are charging exorbitant prices, the grant is now factored into quotes as some kind of free money for installers and not as a subsidy for householders

This.

Not all do this. I know mine didn't. It was just one overall quote. If I wanted a grant it was up to me (it was simple).

It seems there's a 'grant tax' with a lot of installers. 🙄

Well, as I've always maintained, it's a "free market economy".

If a supplier wants to build in the "grant tax" and quote people higher, it's really up to them to charge as they see fit. Ohh don't worry, I'm not getting soft in my old age, I still think it's ethically scandalous some of the quotes we've seen, especially the ones which effectively prey on people lack of knowledge of the solar landscape. They think they are getting a good deal, doing right by Gretta, but in reality they are being squeezed by the installer out of a couple of grand needlessly. Don't buy into the arguments of "superior panels" or "better after sales service".... it's nonsense lads.

Still, as much as it annoys and irks me.....they are totally entitled to quote and charge as they see fit. The same way we're totally entitled to pass on the names of solid value installers that we trust and recommend. If we save a few dozen people a few grand and onboarded some people who otherwise might not have gone solar......I feel that we've done a good service to the country!

• Advertisement

The quote is good but I would get a 6kwh inverter. Very little difference in price for that compared to the 5kwh one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement