Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How can we integrate Unionism into a possible United Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭kazamo

Your simplistic explanation to negate any issues re loyalism is truly staggering.

They will have nothing to fight for so they will lie down and accept it. Have you deliberately avoided all news reports for the past few decades and come to the conclusion that Loyalists are a meek and compliant lot. Neither community in the North are meek and it comes from living in a war zone for 30 years.

I do agree with your point that they would have no option to return to the UK……..and why is that.

Because the UK has enough economic basket case regions and would be highly unlikely to want the worst one back. That coupled with Northern Ireland having very fractured society filled with hate caused by the British, but sure a referendum and change of ownership form, will fix all that.

Be at least honest with yourself…..a United Ireland will be a bumpy and uncertain journey and largely due to allowing a bad situation fester in the six counties for way too long. The passing of the inevitable vote is the start of a very long process.

The sad part of all this is, instead of accepting there will be issues, you are prepared to saddle the 26 counties with the fixing and reconciling the cesspit in the North and let the Irish deal with the legacy problems created by British Empire building. What did the Irish do to deserve that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭eire4

I agree with you on both counts. I don't think you can appease the unionists given the very nature if what it is that is important to them.

Having said that over time they will die out and in an integrated all Ireland economy that is part of the EU we will IMHO end up better off in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Harryd225

Agreed, you don't hear of many people in former British colonies who still refer to themselves as British, you don't still see the large amounts of Protestants AND Catholics in the 26 counties who referred to themselves as British prior to independence still referring to themselves as British. Why is that?

No one is saying that this British identity will disappear straight away after unification, what we are saying is that after unification the Unionists will finally be able to move on and integrate in with the rest of Ireland, it might take some time for them to feel comfortable and happy in a United Ireland but there is nothing more certain than that they will eventually feel comfortable and see the rest of us the same as they see themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

One of the biggest flaws in nationalist and republican thinking over the last century is that almost no one has any idea what a united Ireland might look like once it's achieved. I remember watching a documentary about the Border Campaign in the 50s and one of the volunteers was asked about the IRA's thinking at the time. Same as ever, get the British out - and once that happened "everything would be right with the world". As if Irish history would just come to an end once unity was achieved. Part of that whole attitude is the sheer lack of knowledge most Nationalist people have about Northern Unionists, how averse they are to losing their British identity, how determined they are to maintain their position. Throughout the Troubles unionists never seemed to even figure in their thinking. That utter ignorance would certainly have doomed a united Ireland had it ever happened in the last hundred years.

Nowadays there is a bit more awareness thankfully but it is painfully clear that a United Ireland will probably end up satisfying very few people with the amount of compromises that will have to be made. If they aren't made, you're effectively excluding the former Unionist community from having any say over the new Irish state. Loads of things will have to change, the political system will be transformed. Symbols being such a big thing in Northern Ireland means that a lot of our symbols down here will have to change too, or will have to be awkwardly paired with something else. Nationalists will probably get a nasty awakening when they realise how much they will have to concede.

In my heart of hearts I would support a United Ireland and I can see a United Ireland politically functioning after a lot of effort. But my worry is that Ireland will end up like Canada or Belgium. Countries with two communities that fundamentally do not interact and struggle to co-exist. Every political decision will be subject to huge compromise to make everyone happy. Both communities on the island will largely keep to themselves (although at least in our case there's no language barrier). One side (the ex-unionists) will feel downtrodden and excluded, the other (the former Republic) will feel like it's giving away too much and that they're pampering Northerners. Despite all that's often said about Ireland, as it stands it is culturally a very unitary state in European terms. Having this long-running division in our political system and the consequences of it will be a shock to a lot of Nationalists once it's all settled.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

I've never claimed that unification will be the resolution of all our problems but what it will be is the beginning of the end of the problems created by partition. I fully expect there to be threats of unionist terrorism in the run up to the first border poll, and the very people here arguing against unification will certainly be amplifying them and predicting armageddon.

I don't expect the first border poll to be won by those of us who want to see through the vision for our country, but that's not the point. The point is to move the conversation on and make unionists defend what is obviously a failed, immoral, project while demonstrating that the sky will not fall to the rest of the country. Also the first border poll will be demoralizing for unionism because unionists will have to endure the British public supporting Irish unification, that will help everyone understand that Ireland's future should be in the hands of people that live here and not the English ruling classes who couldn't care less.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,785 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Fionn, I thought I addressed this point earlier, but here goes.

"(vi) recognise the birthright of all the people of Northern Ireland to identify themselves and be accepted as Irish or British, or both, as they may so choose, and accordingly confirm that their right to hold both British and Irish citizenship is accepted by both Governments and would not be affected by any future change in the status of Northern Ireland."

Here is the relevant extract from the GFA. It is no great leap of logic to point out that a truly inclusive Republican state has to incorporate elements of its various identities into its nature. In essence, this is what Sinn Fein more spuriously seeks in the North with the Irish Language Act, this is what we have done by recognising the minority Traveller identity in law. However, in my opinion, in line with the subject of this thread, we will have to go much further than a token language act and equality law to meet the requirements of that clause of the GFA. The Irish State has to accept their birthright to be British. If it is a republican state, in the true meaning of republicanism (not the insular Irish version) it has to do more than accept.

It is clear that the GFA recognises a British identity valid in Ireland, which is different to a Northern Irish identity.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,859 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Bit what is it ?

How can we integrate an intangible idea ?

It is not for me to tell British people how or why or how tangible they are as British.

There are people out there who claim to be non-binary and there are people who claim that is an intangible idea. Are you adopting the same approach as those who deny non-binary identity on the basis it is an intangible idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Speedline

I can see no issue with those currently holding a UK passport, to continue holding one if they so desire.

Any new applications (such as offspring being entitled to a passport) would be a matter for the UK government as they are the ones who issue the passports.

• Advertisement

What a savage dodge of the question.

You want to "British identity" added into any United Ireland so to do that we need to know what "British identity" means. It most likely means something different to everyone and the version I encountered is certainly different to the Unionist one or middle England Tory one.

So going back to your idea tell me how we integrate all these Britains into Ireland.

We would need to give those UK passport holders full voting rights like the Irish have in the UK and I would have no problem with that.

We could also keep 2 international soccer teams and leagues if NI so wish. Although I would love to see a single league unification or no.

And when has anyone said we are going to force the unionists to give up their British passports? No one is going to care.

That will be a matter for the British government if they wish to allow the unionists to keep their British citizenship.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭saabsaab

It will be a shock to some but it is coming. Numbers are heading that way soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭kazamo

Problems created by partition to be replaced by problems created by a United Ireland. All we end up doing is changing the disgruntled party. We have had peace for 24 years but no reconciliation.

When Nationalists were fighting for what they believed in, a war lasting 29 years happened. But when Unification happens, the Unionists will just accept it ? and if not, they will be dealt with very quickly. And who will be dealing with it, An Garda Siochana, the Irish Army ?

What part of your plan for UI makes you so sure that the Unionists won’t recommence the war.

I do find it amusing your idea that the British public will put pressure on the Unionists. Since when has anything in Ireland remotely engaged the general British public. If they didn’t have any issues with the DUP holding the whip in Theresa May’s government, a poll in some foreign land won’t bother them.

What comes across in these posts from the United Ireland campaigners is that it must happen, no matter what, and any issues/concerns is scaremongering or the concerns have no merit whatsoever.

i remember the hunger strikers, the daily news each morning at 8am of another killing, another bomb under a car.

I do sincerely hope that your blind faith and devotion to a United Ireland doesn’t lead us down the garden path………and this feels like a roll of the dice rather than some well designed plan.

Time will tell

But when Unification happens, the Unionists will just accept it ?

The vast majority will, yes. There will always be a rump that won't be happy.

and if not, they will be dealt with very quickly.

Honestly we need to stop thinking of all this in terms of instant solutions, a UI has been centuries in the making. I've little doubt that there will still be orange/loyalist parades for centuries more albiet more ceremonial than militaristic.

And who will be dealing with it, An Garda Siochana, the Irish Army?

I could imagine a police force for the whole Ulster Province, call it what you will, that would be a division of the Gardai. Unionists refuse to engage on these issues so a lot of this will have to hammered out after a pro-UI vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

i would say no it wasn't much better but it was still the least worst option until the grip of the church began to loosen meaning the ROI became and is now miles better.

there was no policy to drive jews, protestants etc from the ROI all though certainly some did face discrimination which was disgraceful, unlike NI where the policy was to drive out catholics/nationalists by any means.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

Catholics were largely discriminated against in Northern Ireland and faced widespread brutality from state forces, in 1971 the British government introduced internment without trial and arrested hundreds of people all of which were Catholics, mostly innocent Catholics some of which were tortured. The army also killed over a dozen innocent men and women and hundreds of people were also subjected to physical abuse at the hands of the army during this operation, simultaneously as this was all going on loyalist mobs decided to move into the Catholic areas alongside the army burning nearly ten thousand innocent people from their homes, this launched the biggest movement of refugees in Europe since WW2, it was even illegal to be in possession of the Irish flag.

So I think it's fair to say the Irish state was at least slightly better.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,489 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Op.

The answer to your question is clearly illustrated in this thread.

You’ve got ardent pro-unification Nationalists in one corner saying, no matter what it takes or how it’s done, unification will succeed based on the romantic notion that all Irish people want a United Ireland.

In the other corner are the people who populate the real world, who understand that support or rejection of unification will be based on what it means directly to the electorate both sides of the border, cost.

And the people in both corners have no consideration for what it will actually mean to the people most affected, the inhabitants of Northern Ireland. So, that is why the people who want to retain NIs link to the UK, will fight the hardest, shout the loudest and make damn sure that every single voter in the South knows that it is going to cost us each a tonne of money. And once that starts to hit home, there is no way of getting that **** back in the Goose. So, no, there is no way of integrating Unionists into a unified Ireland because they neither want to be, nor will be forced to be, their whole identity and life is based on the Union, same way the Nationalists have identified with ROI for the last 100 yrs. It takes a rare breed of stupidity to think just by unifying Ireland, that Unionists will resign themselves to being Irish and forget they are British, in the same way it was stupid to think Nationalists in the North should by now accept they live in the UK.

That is why I have thought, since the free movement of people accross the border came into effect, why not leave the UK to support/deal with NI, does it really matter if they are governed from Dublin? The Nationalists still think of themselves as Irish, the Unionists still think of themselves as British, and if it’s going to costs, 79% of people down here don’t give a **** what either thinks, we are not paying for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

• Registered Users Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭Dickie10

But surely one could argue there were a significant minority of UNioinists both protestant and catholic in southern ireland at the time of the Free State being created, they didnt all leave the Free State but integrated into it, why didnt they continue to fly the British flag in southern ireland?

The answer to his question is simple, it would be very hard to integrate unionism into a United Ireland, it would not be that hard to integrate the Unionists, most of which are decent ordinary people who would accept unification if the majority of people in Northern Ireland voted for it.

No one has any problem with people keeping their British passports or British identity or whatever but the key here is after a United Ireland to integrate the Unionists and make them feel part of this country like everyone else, with the goal of them eventually referring to themselves as Irish like everyone else in Ireland. That's real integration, what we don't want is a significant portion of our population still pledging allegiance to the Queen of England rather than the country they actually live in, if that's still the case 50 years later then we have failed completely.

Most of them will come around fairly quickly, most unionists aren't as obsessed with their British identity as you would like people to believe, most of them are ordinary people who would try to make the best of Unification if the majority of people voted for it.

You can have the belief that most people in the Republic are going to reject a United Ireland, if so then what are you and the Unionists worried about? You and them can simply grin along at all this talk of a United Ireland knowing that the Republic will reject it anyway, so don't worry about it so much Dav.

Fair play to her for admitting it, there's a couple of posters on this thread who are still in denial.

Free State 1922 is not NI 2022, society here has evolved rightly or wrongly to put our own needs before others. In a country where housing, health, family finance and societal issues are more important than the NI, anything that directly affects those issues takes precedent over something that affects people we don’t really think or care about up there. That is the bottom line, how will this affect me, NI being united with ROI will only affect most of our lives in monetary terms, who wants that?

If you feel it is that inconsequential to Unionists, why did Nationalists in NI never just accept they are now living in a country that is now part of the UK? They could still be Irish after all.

I’m not worried about it, and I won’t until the referendum happens and I think how much it is going to cost me and what affect it will have on services here. Then I’ll vote no.

That is quite a simple question Dav, the most obvious of which being that this is Ireland and some people will always consider themselves Irish no matter who controls the territory. People in former British territory all over the world used to also refer to themselves as Kenyan or whatever, very few of which today still refer to themselves as British.

Another reason is that many people all over Ireland seen Northern Ireland as an occupation, up until 1998 Northern Ireland was disputed territory claimed by both the Republic of Ireland and the United Kingdom.

After unification there would be no realistic possibility of any part of Ireland rejoining the UK, they probably wouldn't have them back anyway even if Ireland washed their hands of them. It's not hard to see how the British identity in Ireland would fizzle out far easier than the Irish identity in Ireland. Soon enough the protestants would realise there would be no logical reason for the protestants to still refer to themselves as British. There will always be a logical reason for people in Ireland to identify as Irish.

Post edited by Harryd225 on

Like the pro-Brexit fools across the water you think you'll get to keep everything just as it is if a no vote is returned in the south, you might want to think that through a bit because if there one thing that's a certainty it's that you will not.

You think unification would go ahead if the majority in the South were against it? That the Government here would impose it against the wishes of the people who are going to be forced to pay for it? Is there any alternate reality where that would be a possibility.

Even if it isn’t a constitutional requirement, there is no remote possibility of it ever happening without a referendum in the ROI.

• Advertisement

Patitionists will not inherit the state in its current form. They will need to come up with a vision for a permanently partitioned country with a new anthem, new flag, new constitution, new symbols, a rejection of Republican history, disassociation with the 1916 Proclamation and so on. In other words, everything partitionists think they'll get to retain they'll lose, what they'll gain is a terrible political schism, and northern part of the country with a huge section in the south crying betrayal.

I would like to think the sheer idiocy, and implications, of the electorate retaining partition via a referendum, should it happen, will be laid bare well in advance.

Advertisement