Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meta considers shutting down Facebook and Instagram in Europe

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

People would move to Viber, or Telegram or whatever other IM service - Teams now offers personal account support.

MSN/Windows Messenger was THE big IM app back in the day until Microsoft pulled it and tried to push Skype instead. It didn't work.

People will move on very easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭tommybrees

Probably the best thing iv done in recent times was delete Facebook, it was like drugs.

I haven't used Facebook in over 10 years, I rarely hear people mention it these days compared to even 5 years ago.

Be interesting to see what state it is in 5 years down the line. Seems to be waning, although they can definitely grow it massively in Africa where I read it is still doing very well. May be harder to make the same sort of profit margins there though.

As for Zuckerberg, I can't help but smile when he takes a massive hit to his wealth, I'm sure he'll be fine though 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 35,013 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Those small businesses could easily put together a website and as an added bonus, have access to people that don't use Facebook.

People did it for years before Facebook came along and they can do it again.

Personally, I'd be absolutely delighted. It's extremely frustrating when I find a business that I want to engage with and the only way of contacting them is by having a Facebook or Instagram account. I'll always just move on to another business which has a legitimate website with a contact form.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

50 billion a year at the last count. That's dinosaurs sold not money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

Easy make it when u not paying much tax… dumb dumb paye workers like me paying half my wages on direct and indirect taxes while Ireland allows him avoid paying taxes. Even denis o Brien called it out

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/ireland-has-become-facebook-s-launderette-for-tax-avoidance-denis-o-brien-claims-1.4709345

• Registered Users Posts: 19,846 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

You didn't delete it properly. I can still see the website up online. www.facebook.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭AyeGer

I stopped using Facebook years ago and only started instagram last year. I wouldn’t miss either of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,425 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

The newspaper prints a newspaper with the news and events of the day that is published to everyone. The newspaper is also regulated by the press council and if they publish grossly offensive or malicious content they can be ordered to retract it

Facebook (and instagram) decides what news you get to see with a pernicious algorithm that is intended only to keep you on the site for as long as possible. To collect as much data about you so that they can sell ads, and also sell your data to others so they can corruptly influence elections (for example)

That Algorithm has been shown to severely affect people's mental health because it shows them things that drive engagement, whether that's positive or negative.

Facebook and Instagram know, from their own research, that young people are extremely negatively affected by their use of their platforms, but rather than change their practises, they just engage in corporate whitewashing to pay lip service rather than do anything effective

If a newspaper editor followed an Anorexic young girl and shoved articles at her that make her feel like she is too fat or that it's ok to not eat then, any right thinking person would see that as a horrific abusive activity.

If a newspaper tracked everything you read online, and then pushed you more and more extreme versions of those stories, while hiding stories that might might provide balance because the extreme content is more engaging, it would be obvious what they're doing but because Facebook shows everyone different content that is 'curated' to keep them on the platform, they have managed to get away with it for so long

Facebook are not the same as a Newspaper.

They actively manipulate what their users see to try to keep them engaged even if that content is inaccurate, deceptive or even propaganda deliberately intended to misinformation and brainwash their users

https://www.sciencefriday.com/articles/facebook-fake-news-philippines-elections/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Facebook, Instagram, Whatsapp, Messenger.

Telegram is way better than Whatsapp imo. Alas very few of my contacts are on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭FromADistance

I'd say there's a better chance that pigs might fly... reminds me of how Brexit is working for the British at the moment... idle threats do surely work............

• Registered Users Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Wow this is too good to be true. Imagine a world without Facebook. It would be bliss.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

I don't like Zuckerberg and rarely use fb

When I do it's to post photos.i don't see any ads except on Firefox there are two at top right of sometimes.i do not click them and do not get news from fb.

But i don't understand how algorithm s drive people action or interest. Don't the people have a choice to ignore any ads. I may be missing something i don't know much about fb

• Registered Users Posts: 3,474 ✭✭✭HBC08

You dont see any ads?

I tried to come off fb last year but I need it for my business.I find my personal account almost unusable with the amount of ads.I still post pics about once a month and I like being able to look back and see where I was or what I was doing at a certain time.However its ruined with ads and sponsored posts now and is on its way out I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,992 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Signing up to Facebook is a choice. I choose to let them use my limited information to target ads at me. It's a pretty decent deal. I get a massive network and instant access to people all over the world who share my interests. In return, 10% of my screen is an ad for a football streaming service, car company or new film. Good deal, I'm glad I have made such a simple choice.

It's not the social media network that posts the racism stuff, or the sexist stuff, or the outright lies. That's the users who do that.

To continue the analogy,

The writers and editors of the newspaper equate to the users.

The social media software equates to the physical paper in your hands when reading your newspaper of choice.

Just a modern version.

I think people should direct their anger less towards the company and more towards the people whose views they disagree with.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,425 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Sometimes 2 at top right

FB won't work with adblock enabled on Firefox.will on edge

I just find the comments on various other social media platforms quite amusing "Do America Next!!" and "Don't let the door hit you on the ass on the way out." type stuff.

Facebook's a lot less essential than it imagines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

There’s really no doubt Facebook, Insta and WhatsApp could easily be replaced in all our lives. And Facebook and Insta clearly have negative effects on peoples self esteem and their understanding of current affairs.

But there’s not a hope of them closing down in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Macdarack

Stand back ,we got a mc Gregor fan here...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I wish he would. Unfortunately the fella doesn't seem to have a single idea in his head. Facebook/Meta dropped a fortune the other day, and he has no clue how to turn things around. He has teams churning idea out for him swinging off the money tree but all they can recommend is copy or buy. Why can't he hire someone like Magic Alex or even go nuts for a few days on all sorts like Elon Musk. What a waste of being worth Billions.

Unfortunately also, this is just an empty threat. Europe are their 2nd biggest market after USA, there is no way that they will leave. I wish the EU could say something like they don't take kindly to threats, get out.. 😂

I will say that two pretty amazing things have come out of Facebook and that is React and GraphQL. They're ubiquitous across the web now, and plenty of developers use them without even realising they started internally at Facebook. In my latest website, they're the core technologies used. Even boards.ie uses React in parts of the page, though that's probably not the best sell for it.

So as shlte as Facebook's practices may be, their engineering and then release of technology has been fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,157 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Its a stupid threat because theres no way they will cut off their 2nd biggest market and we all know that its an empty threat for that reason but the really hilarious part is how many people would be grand with it happening.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,896 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Can't believe some people are actually falling for this. Zuckerberg isn't going to cut himself and his company off from the world's largest and most lucrative single market. He's bridling at the thought of his dirty, tax-dodging firm having to obey rules that protect people's data from exploitation. Nothing more.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 18,137 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I'd **** love it if they did, could you imagine it? Life would be bliss

• Registered Users Posts: 6,998 ✭✭✭conorhal

If Facebook, Twitter and Instagram were literal drugs the EMA (European Medicinces Association that regulates and approves drugs) would have had to ban them by now. Their removal from the social sphere would be an enormous boon to the mental health of people, if you don't thinks so just look at the massive upward spike in depressive illnesses effecting teens since 2012..... gee... I wonder what started becoming really popular around that time?

At the very least the EMA would have to slap a warning on every sign in.

Warning: The side effects of use may include the following: Depression, anxiety, suicidal ideation and extreme narcissism as a result of long term usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

This news story has probably been enough for many more to leave the platform.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭tommybrees

Agree man, if anybody wants to give up something for lent I'd recommend giving up social media.

Advertisement