Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unemployed diabetic man afraid of catching Covid in the post office

Comments

Just stop spreading easily disproved gibberish around the place if you wouldn't mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,443 ✭✭✭✭road_high

All the more reason then to dust oneself off and get a new job then. If collecting cash from a post office is too appalling to endure

Quite right. Sometimes people need assistance, then they get it and go out and get themselves back up and running.

Despite the efforts of people on the internet who say "It will give them something to do instead of lying in bed all day."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

you do realize that when they referenced supporting local post offices, they didn’t mean jobseekers goin crazy splashing money in post offices , they were referring to the dept giving some money to the post office to provide this service again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,276 ✭✭✭Deeec

There are loads of jobs available at the moment for anyone who wants to work.

• Advertisement

Well and good. And when someone shows up for work one morning to find the place has been put into liquidation and they've lost their job then they don't suddenly get employed an hour later like magic.

Businesses all over the country are crying out for workers at the moment. Anyone that wants to work could literally start a job immediately. There are no excuses not to be working at the moment.

If you're a farmhand or black-market cash-in-hand worker then maybe. In the rest of the world a CV, interview, second interview, group stage, reference-checking phase and unpaid trial before a one-year probationary period are standard practice.

Unfortunately that doesn't chime with your version of reality.

One man living near the Cork-Kerry border told The Journal that the change means he now has to drive over 55km to a post office in order to collect the payment, which brings his fuel cost to between €45 – €50 a week.

OK, I get the anxiety over the increased risk of covid to a diabetic (being diabetic myself) --- but there is no way one round trip of 110km (if accurate) costs 50 euro in petrol unless hes driving a tank. That's rubbish.

(I've also been to the post office many times during the pandemic.)

He could also go at an off-peak time, or even another day, when not so busy.

Most people are happy doing shop or restaurant work ( which there are plenty of jobs available in at the moment) until a more suitable job becomes available. Sitting around on the dole for their ' dream job' to come up is a very poor attitude to have

• Advertisement

What percentage of people on welfare do you think are waiting for the "dream job to come up"? And what does the data say?

I have no Idea. I am just saying there are no excuses for anyone to be unemployed at the moment - loads of basic jobs out there that don't even require any qualifications.

"I have no Idea."

Correct. You've made all sorts of declarations and assumptions on this thread but you won't stand over it with anything verifiable.

It's all in your head: "I have no Idea."

I really seem to be hitting a nerve with you - so I think we'll leave it there.

"I really seem to be hitting a nerve with you - so I think we'll leave it there."

Fair play to you. You made a number of childish statements about employment and the unemployed and when you were asked to supply even the most basic of info you said "I have no Idea."

Congratulations on your life of hard work; what a pity we haven't all come up to your standard. Or sunk to it.

Right well then please give me the reasons why we have unemployed people relying on social welfare when retail and hospitality have loads of jobs available all over the country - this isnt a childish comment it is fact. When people are down on their luck they should be prepared to do any work to get by, The rates being offered at the moment are higher than pre pandemic - so why do people prefer to be on social welfare?

Why do able bodied people choose not to work instead of doing one of these jobs?

Ive worked in these jobs in the past myself in the past to get by.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,692 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

One man living near the Cork-Kerry border told The Journal that the change means he now has to drive over 55km to a post office in order to collect the payment, which brings his fuel cost to between €45 – €50 a week.

There is something wrong here, the 55km figure is wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,491 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

How do you know he doesn't drive a monster truck?

Anyway, I'd be pretty sure he doesn't actually exist.

There are many reasons why someone might be on jobseekers' in the medium or long term. Some reasons are legitimate, such as being a family carer, dealing with a personal tragedy, disability, geography, domestic abuse and countless more. Some reasons are not legitimate. But the idea that everyone on the dole is lazy is a toxic lie.

Likewise, the idea that anybody can lose their job at 9am and magically get another one at 9:01am is another lie.

Belittling people like this only benefits the kind of person who's on 100k and does no real work because it's all done by their minimum-wage lackeys and unpaid interns. Sounds pretty lazy, doesn't it? That's the real scam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,058 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The chances of someone aged 50+ being hired for a hospitality job (or indeed any job) are quite slim. Especially if they have with no previous hospitality experience.

Look at the age profile of the staff next time you go to a pub, cafe or supermarket.

• Advertisement

If someone has a legitimate reason for being unemployed for a short time than fair enough. Many unemployed people don't have legitimate reasons though for turning their noses up at certain jobs.

At the moment there are loads of jobs where they literally need you to start working now. It literally is as easy as finishing a job on Friday and have something to start the following Monday. Anyone that wants to work at the moment can get a job.

Most of the supermarkets and hotels near me are employing over 50s because they have a good work ethic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,443 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Hearing that more and more from employer’s -they want older staff as they’re generally far more responsible and have an actual jot of common sense.

Farm hands are well educated, highly trained experts. Most earn good wages as their skills are in demand. The rest of your post is rubbish also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,692 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

If you are a family carer, you are not entitled to JSA.

There are Carers payments for that.

Also, disability is not a reason for JSA.

There are Disability payments for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,058 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

Ya I liked the post but if I think about it realistically it's not the case in reality. In my local supermarket there used to be loads of young people working there and it was very well run, clean, organised. They've all left in the past year, possibly to take up jobs doing test and trace etc. They've hired a few sourpuss 50+ who seem to spend alot of time hanging around smoking by the door, complaining, talking to each other over customer's heads. They're always out of the basics, the place is a mess with shelf stacking going on at the busiest of times and I've accidentally purchased very out of date stock that I've had to return later, being interrogated about it even though they'd know me to see. So actually I think give younger people a chance and train them well and they're far better than 90% of 50 year olds doing the same job.

Who said anything about JSA, @Geuze? Jobseekers' allowance (JSA) is just one element of what's being discussed here.

Disability part 1: every day a bright-minded and qualified person who's been a wheelchair since birth seeks office work and gets told that they should either be sucking on a straw in a nursing home or hauling nets on a fishing trawler. No middle-ground. Ask any family with a limited-ability husband/wife/son/daughter about this. It's like a Winning Streak wheel where instead of money you get either an ignorant bigot or a compassionate human being.

Let's prefer the latter, @Geuze@Deeec@[Deleted User]

Disability example: office work is often appropriate for someone with a good mind and upper body mobility: phones and computers. Plastering gable walls and teaching PE in secondary school is usually not very easy for someone who drinks through a straw. Still, they very often end up being badgered to do Intreo courses that their bodies aren't physically capable of and if they fall out of that system the whole family suffer.

Carers part 1: by definitiion a kid who's been mopping their parents' vomit away at the age of 12 can't get a carer's payment. That happens at 18. Does it magically kick in on their 18th birthday? Of course not. It depends on where they are and whose desk the form lands on. There seems to be some kind of assumption that there's someone looking over these kids but very often there is not. Very easy sneer at the poor though. Especially when they develop addictions. My dad was actually a heroin addict, but I never had to clean up his puke. Do let me know about the puke situation @Geuze@Deeec@[Deleted User]?

Carers part 2: you're separated and your mother and father are injured in a crash. No carers' allowance for you: your ex has a good job and it's assessed on joint income. You haven't spoken since the whole thing fell apart, and that's a private matter but let's just say it wasn't your fault. You have no support, financially or otherwise. They have a new partner and your kids are being neglected.

No carers' allowance for you because you're still married in law. You looked into the HSE home support packages but you still don't get any help. You are now a carer for two your parents and your two children. There is not a scrap of food in the house, and you've rang and emailed every single person you can think of.

All of the above are legally prohibited from accessing any carer or disability payment.

But someone on Boards.ie says "bollocks, I pulled pints in the GAA club for £1 an hour in 1993 and something something work something something and then I did something and it was hard and so everyone on the dole is a buncha lazy cunce so if I can do it so can they".

That's just fantasy, and it's deliberately spread to corrode communities and suck in money.

Please don't fall for it.

If you want to argue that the system is unfit for purpose then fire away: it dates from Famine times. A million dead and a million emigrated, we were all taught.

But if you want to spread a load of hate and lies against everyone in receipt of a state payment then that says far more about yourself than it does about the system, @Geuze @Deeec @[Deleted User]

Have you been drinking tonight by any chance - that's pure nonsense.

• Advertisement

Advertisement