Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Ford Focus - Is it a Quiet car vs Golf?

• 02-02-2022 6:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I see that Ford is after launching a facelift of their current Focus.

I have to admit I kind of like it and am hoping to take one out for a test drive to see what it's all about.

For owners of the current model - what's it like in terms of road and wind noise? Some of the reviews I've read have been very positive, Auto Express saying it just about beats the Golf in terms of noise and refinement; but I'd rather a boardsie's opinion as you know what our Irish roads are like..!

TLDR; Is the Focus a quiet car compared to a Golf, Octavia, Leon, Civic, Corolla?

Thanks all.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,330 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I don't know but the new Puegeot 308 is out if not now very soon and as Peugeot are on a role it should be very good if you like its looks.

NEW 308 HB

+ From €298 per month

+ 5-year warranty

+ 4.9% APR* HP & PCP

+ €3,250 scrappage Ll

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭PaulJoseph22

Well if it was a choice between the ugly MK8 golf or the Focus, it’d be the focus every time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭eggy81

I’ve a mk7.5 golf which I like but I do find the cabin noisy to be honest.

Ms

Also there is a new Opel Astra due out soon too. Its basically the same as the new Peugeot 308 underneath just with different styling inside and out.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I've a 6 month old Focus ST Line 1.5TDCI. It's very quiet and refined, unlike it's owner.

p.s. The newest facelift version has an odd engine and gearbox lineup.

1/. 1.0 Ecoboost petrol - manual.

2/. 1.0 Ecoboost petrol hybrid - 7 speed Powershift auto.

3/. 1.5 TDCI EcoBlue - 8 speed auto.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,481 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Great to see torque converter autos making a bit of a comeback.

Focus is the most appealing in that class for me, and I never particularly cared for them after the first generation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

Thanks all for your replies. I'm glad to hear that it's a refined model - also surprised the 7.5 Golf is noisy. I had a new MKV back in the day and that was a great car.

I also agree that the MKVIII is not a nice looking car relative to the previous model which is a first for me when it comes to the Golf. The only thing that ever bothered me with Volkswagen was their disinterest in moving the handbrake and bonnet release to the right hand side when building cars for this market when compared to other brands. Especially when most people wouldn't notice what would be the microscopic additional cost to do that with every car.

Is the PowerShift a torque converter while the 8 speed is DSG? I take it Ford don't offer a CVT; at least hopefully not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭eggy81

It’s a Gtd so is a bit lower on firmer suspension and lower profile tyres than a standard golf I’d assume. But yeah imho it’s relatively loud but not annoyingly so.

it’s noisier than my mrs mk3 focus for certain.

I think powershift is a dual clutch. Like a VW DSG. The 8 speed is a torque converter, same idea as what BMW use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Casati

Focus is well priced in the current climate. That 1.5 auto looks like a great car but be careful with spec - some stuff that is standard say on Leon, like adaptive cruise, is a very expensive option on the Focus

• Advertisement

Thank you all for the replies.

Considering the reduced choice of engines with lower outputs I presume all of the models are torsion beam as opposed to having multi link rear suspension?

Mr current car has Multi Link, and I love it, but wonder whether I'd miss the improved ride that comes with it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

The engines haven't got lower outputs.

The current version rides and handles very well. You wouldn't know what sort of suspension is fitted from being in the car.

I think he means they’re all 120/125PS and there doesn’t seem to be anything a bit more powerful, like in the UK they have a 155PS version. That still has the same rear suspension either way.

I didn't know about the higher power engines not having IRS. Have they simply stopped offering it? Either way I'm liking Henry Ford III's impressions of the standard setup. Sounds like Ford put a lot of work into the suspension which is what I want to hear.

Looking forward to seeing them in the dealerships. Will take one out for a drive ASAP.

I think the proper high powered ones like the ST and RS would obvs have IRS and I think one of the Vignales had. They seem to have rejigged the specs though- so that Vignale is a higher spec option for the ST-Line. Doesn’t seem to be any ‘ordinary’ models with IRS.

my own opinion is that Fords drive sharp mainly because of the steering, and for most drivers, it’ll feel largely the same as previous generation Focus’s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭athlone573

I was looking into these recently with a view to upgrading this year or next.

As said above, most hatchback variants don't have IRS. The estates have a sort of IRS, but look like hearses to me!

I would have been interested in the 1.5 petrol engine, or the mild hybrid, but i don't think Ford are bringing them here? Just looking for a wee bit more power than the basic 1L engine.

The face-lift model arriving in April also seems to have adopted the touchscreen fad - not for me, I like twiddly dials for the radio and aircon.

The MK8 is one ugly car in all it’s guises. What were VW thinking?

Agreed. What on Earth were they playing at. The outside is bad but I don't think it's as bad as the button/dial-less interior.

I wonder would they consider bringing back the 7.5 as the 8.5? :pac:

The sooner the mainstream manufacturers start ignoring Tesla when it comes to car interiors the better imo.

Would be great to have the more powerful engines with an IRS option - but it won't rule me out at least taking one out for a test drive. My main priority now in my older years is getting a quiet, comfortable drive. I don't mind sports suspension once it's not too crashy.

They’re even worse than the Golf, my brother has one, looks like a budget 1970’s Datsun.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Nick84

I would totally go for the Focus out of these two. Drove both as rentals, Focus is just so much nice to drive. And from what I see, also better priced. Looks kinda like a Cupra Leon after the facelift though.

The Focus is definitely the pick of those two, you’d be mad to buy that ugly MK8 in any of its guises.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭noelf

Also check out the new Citroen C4 for its extra comfortable seats and suspension ..

https://www.citroen.ie/new-cars-and-vans/citroen/citroen-c4.html ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,192 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

And you don't hear stories about the Focus infotainment crashing/glitching like you do in the new Golf. Or stupid volume and temperature touch sensitive sliders that are not backlit at night. This Golf was not VW's finest hour by far.

Yes and as a Golf fanboy, it pains me to agree with you. The MK8 is one of the ugliest both inside and out.

Agreed. I'm also disappointed that Honda are not releasing the new Civic here in Saloon form. I much prefer it as it's far more subtle and classy than the new hatchback.

The new Octavia, the Leon and Audis seem to be going down this same button free road as VW itself - so the Focus is really the only option left for me to consider. If it doesn't scratch the itch I'll probably stick with my own car for now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭athlone573

What about the Mazda 3 (as per thread in the Buying and selling forum)?

Ms

Yes the current Mazda 3 is a great car and does not use touch sensitive controls for its heating or audio.

It's well worth checking out.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
Advertisement