Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

And not once has anyone even tried to explain why Russia would invade now

Just because we cannot perceive a rational reason does not mean that Putin cannot perceive one. One of the common historical reasons for wars starting is that one side is projecting their thought processes on the other.

We have no idea what Putin is thinking. We do know, however, what Russia is doing and is capable of, and have to honor that evidence. Russia is spending no small amount of rubles and long-term military capability (All those units moved to the Ukraine area are no longer conducting regular training or maintenance, for example) for some reason which to Russia will provide gains which outweigh those costs. So, the real question is "what does Putin expect to gain by either invasion or the threat of invasion?" Personally, I'll go with a formal annexation of the separatist regions of Ukraine, but that's just me projecting.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,571 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Putin has been ruling Russia - directly or indirectly - for over 20 years now. There is plenty of evidence to try understand his motivations and appetite for risk, even if those are not shared. His interventions in Georgia in 2008 and Ukraine in 2014 are perfectly rational if you accept that Russia considers those nations joining NATO to be a threat to its security. Their action was not irrational or mysterious. Russia, rightly or wrongly, has been quite consistent on communicating its red lines. War's are caused by failures to take the other side seriously too.

A Russian adventure in Ukraine 2022 makes no sense. It gains Russia nothing it doesn't already have and risks much - further sanctions, loss of allies nervous of Russian adventurism, NATO intervention, potential defeat leading to political unrest or maybe worse a quick victory followed by a grinding insurgency. If no possible motivation for an invasion now can be discerned, then its reasonable to start from there not being a motivation.

For my own part, the formal annexation of the separatist regions doesn't make sense for Russia. They want to influence Ukrainian politics - those republics, in Ukraine, voting in Ukrainian elections, with extensive autonomy and Russian identity, holding a constitutional veto on Ukrainian foreign policy to prevent western Ukraine aligning with the EU or NATO is the dream scenario for Russia. Annexing them would prevent that - they gain a few provinces, but lose Ukraine.

I'd settle for a plausible narrative that fits the facts. Something a bit more than Russia bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Narrative is one of the buzzwords from the Putinistas in this thread. As if truth is like children's plasticine that can be reshaped according to whatever purpose suits you best at the time. You could see Russian tanks rolling down Khreshchatyk in Kyiv and you'd still be looking for a narrative to spin such is the manner your brain has been hijacked.

This set of circumstances is one where Occams Razor most definitely applies. Putin has assembled the makings of a war on the frontiers of Ukraine for one of two purposes A: To actually invade and refabricate Ukraine politically to a pro-Russian orientation, with perhaps some more annexations, or B: To use the threat of war and dangerous brinksmanship to extract concessions and stand-downs from Western institutions and countries - and to redraw the security map of Europe in his favour.

The above is not narrative. It's blindingly obvious to all but the political malcontents that's what's going on. Putin is not an unknown quantity, he's been with us for almost a quarter of a century now. His playbook and psychology are not a particular mystery. Whether it's option A or B he intends to take will be revealed over the next few weeks.

Narrative is a cheap word that unskilled propagandists like to employ when they want to drag the truth and what is obvious into the dirt and wrestle with it for kicks and for the sake of giving breathing space to lies.

Russia is not bad, but it is led by bad men. People who over the course of decades have spunked the country's economic potential, degraded its institutions, bullied and invaded its neighbours, and systematically suffocated political opposition and media figures (including murder by state authorities).

That you are so blind to the above and want to ignore it in favour of dancing some juvenile anti-American jig (as if it means anything to political conditions in Russia) is really really silly. As I said earlier in the thread, some tin-pot dictator anywhere in the world could start doing an anti-American Pied Piper routine, and you'd come dancing around the corpses at his feet with a grin on your face.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭agoodpunt

putin a well advertised 100k+ army on the border will never work again, so he has no alternative he is going to make it count, same as you threaten someone and back down but if you throw the first punch you got to finish.

EU needs to become less energy dependent and develop its own, russian dosent care about global warming and will mine/explore the arctic and pipe it to the world

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

putin a well advertised 100k+ army on the border will never work again

Oh that's very good. @agoodpunt , you need a bigger stage. Boards.ie is too small a platform for this type of output.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭TheTruth89

Looks like turkey are now entering the fray, it's increasingly looking like the comrades will have to back down and return to Moscow with there tail between there legs.

Putin has disastrously lead them! They look like fools now with hollow threats and no way to win. If anything this will drive Ukraine further towards the west and NATO.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭TheTruth89

Russia for a country of it's size has the economy on par of that of south Korea and you are trying to say the levels of poverty are that of Ireland ? Lo

They can't afford to start a war let alone win one.

Biden saying Nord Stream 2 is dead if Russia invades Ukraine.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭agoodpunt

Sorry comrade, its ecomony is bigger than south korea 13 and 14 respectively still only size of new york or half the UK

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,449 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

The Russians have already invaded, so your opening statement is inaccurate. The Russians don't need to hold the entire country. A more likely scenario is for them to secure access to the water sources for the Crimean peninsula, and possibly an expanded section of the coastline. A quick, destructive campaign to reduce Ukrainian capacity, along with punitive strikes against infrastructure could also be an objective.

The US calling out possible Russian misinformation efforts isn't an act of desperation, it's a deliberate effort to deny Russia's ability to craft the narrative. The Ukrainians have also been active disrupting likely Russian cells operating in the country. The playbook of 2014 is not going to be as successful 2nd time around.

For someone whose posts I've had a lot of respect for in the past, you've really gone deep into the conspiracy stuff in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭goldenmick

Correction. You can for a certain time... but the build-up leads to undesired results.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

IMF, World Bank and UN statistics agency all have the South Korean economy (nominal $GDP) larger than the Russian one in 2020/2021 (latest data sets for all three). South Korea in the top 10 largest economies, Russia now outside it.

And, bear in mind this is nominal GDP with a relatively strong rouble due to gas prices, the picture would be a lot worse for Russia if the gas price troughs - which it will in time.

Regime change in Kiev, preventing any further economic, military or political evolution of Ukraine which isn't in Putin's gangs interests. No EU membership and certainly no NATO membership. Which in turn serves to strengthen his grip on power in Russia itself, less that population get (more) notions above their station of stuffing the Putin mafia coffers. Also allows Putin withdraw from Donbass.

Iirc, you do, or used to drive tanks. Could I ask your view on armoured vehicles traversing the Pripet Marshes, which are I believe located Nother & North West of Kiev. I ask as this "frozen ground" phrase keeps popping up. It's a nonsense to think a modern army would be stopped by unfrozen regular ground but marshes are something more interesting. Could be, if there is to be Russian military action they may dispense with the nonsense and go for a political decapitation by attempting to take Kiev. Other forces arrayed around Ukraine's borders may spread out the Ukrainian army.

If the Russians have already invaded, then why are people excited about a possible Russian invasion? It's already happened by that logic. What's new?

Water shortages in Crimea is a plausible rationale for seizing control of the North Crimean Canal. But the costs - further sanctions, alienation of allies, potential political unrest affecting the regime, potential NATO intervention, potential NATO expansion, possible long running insurgency - far, far, far outweigh the benefit. The Crimean water supply has been a problem since 2014, but the Russians are investing hundreds of millions in reservoirs and water treatment and desalination plants ( a far safer solution), so it seems they made the decision against seizing the NCC already.

I find it bemusing that people are so deep into this stuff that even applying some common sense to a scenario is treated as heresy or blasphemy. Its like a cult or religion with some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭cheezums

The EU presidency is a nonsense role and always has been. Europe has never had a coherent strategy or voice. Putin and China are acutely aware of this.

Macron is a self absorbed glory hunting moron all too happy to pretend to be the voice of Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

The counter point to that could be the Russian have a view that they are already facing sanctions. Therefore they could hold that the short term impact of further sanctions is worth solidifying their holdings in Crimea and the Black Sea. Along with that, the current uncertainty is causing financial difficulties for Ukraine in securing investment and credit from banks. That serves to weaken Ukraine and perhaps bend the population towards compromise.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Turkey entered the fray last year , even more so after they helped Azerbaijan reclaim territory from Armenia ...

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭BurgerFace

So if Russia fakes an attack of sorts then it's plausible but if America does such then it's implausible?

• Advertisement

Well, The New York Times stated that Russia had pulled out their consular staff from Kiev. The Russians looked at each other in bemusement and said "funny, all our staff are still in Kiev in the embassy". The Ukrainian attache and the foreign secretary came out and said "No..they haven't pulled out. What are you on about?"

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I have no particular knowledge on the Pripet Marshes. They were a significant problem in WW2 (But not a total block), but we are now 2022. Frankly, I don't think they would be a major factor, even if the troops just drive around them. Units are much faster than they used to be.

The US is expansionist as are the British, French, Germans, Dutch, Spanish and Portuguese. That is a historical fact. If you don't like somebody building up a military to counter that then stop crying and saying that they are about to overrun you. You remind me of Israelis. They arm themselves to the teeth, slam into other lands and when someone throws a rock or a petrolbomb back they are terrorists. When someone blows a bunch of Merkava tanks to bits after they illegally invaded Lebanon then it's just not cricket, is it? How unfair!

MM.....this is Europe. You're over there now with your upcoming pension and cheap supplies at the PX. Maybe it's a game to you but Europeans still have a problem with war. Maybe it's because so much blood was spilled from the beauty of France all the way east to the beauty of the Urals for us not to think that it's a game. Go to Iraq, wreck the place and then leave the place in a heap of smouldering wreckage. Go to Afghanistan and then abandon all those there and run like a thief at night. And now you are an authority to spearhead another great American intervention?

It is really a beautiful thing.

Macron goes to Russia. They don't even shake his hand. He comes away like a sap.

Not long ago these Western "statesmen" would not even talk to a Russian embassy secretary. BOJO was yammering about boycotting the Russian World Cup. And now they are eating humble pie...the bullsh1tters. I wonder now are the NATO troops that were deployed to Poland saying to themselves "stuck here now for 18 months for nothing!"

Those are the options that you can come up with? Are you serious?

Step back and take a look at the world. Better still take a look at where the most fertile, rich and populous part of the world is. Where ther biggest markets are the most extractable resources. And before you have a brain-belch...I am not talking about Russia. I am talking about Eurasia.

What can America do to provide for the people of Eurasia? Nothing. They are 4000k away from Ireland. Are we supposed to wait for these tits to sail LPG across the Ocean when it can be pumped in a few hours from Russia. America is finished. What can they do to provide for the people of Eurasia other than a few reality shows?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭Polar101

It very well might be, but I don't remember USA being involved in the process, other than always saying it shouldn't be built. So it's not really anything Biden can decide on.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Can you not read ????

Can I speak to a supervisor ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭paul71

It is quite obvious from the start of this tread that of are a complete troll spouting lies and propaganda so I don't read your posts and I will not read the responses you make to anything I write. Their are people here willing to discuss what Russia is doing what their motivation is, you are obviously here to cloud any attempt at a discussion with parroted lies.

The US will tell Germany what to do and Germany won't have a choice in the matter.

That's why they've already agreed.

• Advertisement

And that narrative includes Russia good,US bad,right.

Nobody but US is bad in your narrative,or else you wont get trough the day.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement